Tantrum of the Week

NotCore
3/8/2016 4:21am
This is actually one of my close family friends son. He was riding 250C, he's 17, and this was actually the SECOND chain he broke in...
This is actually one of my close family friends son. He was riding 250C, he's 17, and this was actually the SECOND chain he broke in as many days while racing there this wknd. I understand his frustration but this kind of reaction is just immature and he does honestly know better. He's honestly a good natured, respectful, and hard working kid. I'm sure his emotions just got the better of him and he's regretting it now for sure. But honestly snap 2 chains in 2 days!? How does that even happen? User error, bad maintenance, bad sprockets, defect? Idk. What I do know is in close to 25 years of racing I've only ever broke a chain 1 time while riding and it was a manufacturer defect so something is definitely amiss here. I feel bad for him for all the time and money he and his family spent all for nothing.
dkg wrote:
Definitely enough to make someone very frustrated. But, let's be straight, his response was just wrong. I view this as one of those opportunities for a...
Definitely enough to make someone very frustrated. But, let's be straight, his response was just wrong. I view this as one of those opportunities for a teaching moment. Hopefully, the parents will use this as such and he learns a valuable lesson while still young and before his emotions get the better of him and he gets introduced to the criminal justice system.
Seriously? You've never lost your temper I bet. I don't see a tantrum in that picture I see a pissed off person walking away.

Criminal justice system? Just putting that in your post is ultimate hyperbole. Congratulations.
wwoberg
3/8/2016 4:24am
It's not spring break for any of my 3 kids. (Teacher, College, and high school). Shouldn't these kids be in school?
Flip109
3/8/2016 4:32am
I will just share my personal experience. When I was 14 I was racing a regional at Lake Whitney in the 85cc class. My bike let go while running pretty good in a moto. I was so mad I threw my bike down and kicked the shit out of it and stomped off. Not my finest moment. By the time I reached the fence and started to cool down, the guy who was doing my suspension work let me HAVE IT. I don't remember his exact words to this day but he said things you prob shouldn't say in public to a 14 year old kid, and said If he ever saw something like that again he would rip his stickers off my bike and never do anything for me again. I then headed back to the track to get my bike where I met my dad already pushing it back and well you guessed it. Got it again. I learned a valuable lesson that day. I'm not sure if this kids parents or whoever let him know what a bone head move that was, but clearly they should have. I'm very thankful there wasn't vitalmx back then, and someone there with a camera to post pics of me up on the internet for everyone to pick me apart. Kinda harsh I think.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/8/2016 4:47am
I don't always lose my temper, but when I do I prefer not to do it right in front of GuyB's camera

The Shop

Walloper
3/8/2016 4:56am
GuyB wrote:
I get that racing is intense, you spend a lot of money to do it, you want to win, etc. But if your bike drops the...
I get that racing is intense, you spend a lot of money to do it, you want to win, etc.

But if your bike drops the chain in the middle of the moto, don't...

...drop it in the middle of the track.
...run to the side, and start beating on the Tuf-Blox with your fists.
...then stomp away like a spoiled child, leaving the bike in the middle of the track for other riders to hit, and for someone else to pick up.

Lame.

I'm just curious. Have you ever gone out of your way to single out a factory rider with such (deserved) criticism, or do you reserve your opinions for the "nobodies" who don't affect the bottom line?

If you consider yourself a journalist, then a little consistency wouldn't go astray.

I completely agree with your post, but your unwillingness to either comment on, or dig into, real issues and stories involving the biggest names and highest levels of the sport leave a little to be desired. Picking the low hanging fruit is easier I guess.

And while I know this is your house and that I am a guest here, if I get clicked for this quite reasoned and measured post, then any claims to freedom of speech (and freedom in general) you guys all like to claim with almost exclusivity ring a little hollow.

I'm sure I will cop a barrage of incoming from a bunch of self-appointed GuyB defenders and that's fine. I have my opinions of them too.

I felt compelled to write this post as while I respect your opinion, experience and contribution to the motocross industry, you also seem to have a contempt for the members of your own forum which is quite distasteful.

As you were men.
kkawboy14
3/8/2016 5:04am
GuyB wrote:
I get that racing is intense, you spend a lot of money to do it, you want to win, etc. But if your bike drops the...
I get that racing is intense, you spend a lot of money to do it, you want to win, etc.

But if your bike drops the chain in the middle of the moto, don't...

...drop it in the middle of the track.
...run to the side, and start beating on the Tuf-Blox with your fists.
...then stomp away like a spoiled child, leaving the bike in the middle of the track for other riders to hit, and for someone else to pick up.

Lame.

Walloper wrote:
I'm just curious. Have you ever gone out of your way to single out a factory rider with such (deserved) criticism, or do you reserve your...
I'm just curious. Have you ever gone out of your way to single out a factory rider with such (deserved) criticism, or do you reserve your opinions for the "nobodies" who don't affect the bottom line?

If you consider yourself a journalist, then a little consistency wouldn't go astray.

I completely agree with your post, but your unwillingness to either comment on, or dig into, real issues and stories involving the biggest names and highest levels of the sport leave a little to be desired. Picking the low hanging fruit is easier I guess.

And while I know this is your house and that I am a guest here, if I get clicked for this quite reasoned and measured post, then any claims to freedom of speech (and freedom in general) you guys all like to claim with almost exclusivity ring a little hollow.

I'm sure I will cop a barrage of incoming from a bunch of self-appointed GuyB defenders and that's fine. I have my opinions of them too.

I felt compelled to write this post as while I respect your opinion, experience and contribution to the motocross industry, you also seem to have a contempt for the members of your own forum which is quite distasteful.

As you were men.
This seems a fair question from you but be sure to be willing to accept his answer!
MR. X
3/8/2016 5:05am
This ain't a fucking demolition derby ,if your shit stops running you don't leave it on the course.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/8/2016 5:11am
Walloper wrote:
I'm just curious. Have you ever gone out of your way to single out a factory rider with such (deserved) criticism, or do you reserve your...

As you were men.
If I witnessed a factory rider do something that lame, the response would be the same.

I'm mostly disappointed in myself that I didn't get shots of him using the Tuf-Blox as a punching bag.
wreckitrandy
3/8/2016 5:26am
Spydee wrote:
Bit like calling Peick "lame" and "spoilt" for kicking his bike off the stand that time he got knocked out of the LCQ at Daytona a...
Bit like calling Peick "lame" and "spoilt" for kicking his bike off the stand that time he got knocked out of the LCQ at Daytona a few years ago, no? You don't know the story behind this kid, maybe he borrowed the bike and it was a pile of shit hence why he didn't want it back.
So, if you borrow someone's POS to race and it breaks, it's ok to just walk off and leave it on the track? As long as you're done with it and the owner doesn't want it back, just drop it and let someone else clean up your mess? If anyone is ok with this scenario, I'm embarrassed for you.
Walloper
3/8/2016 5:28am
kkawboy14 wrote:
This seems a fair question from you but be sure to be willing to accept his answer!
I read his answer, but I would be surprised if there was a member here that actually believes that if a factory rider had a piss-poor and unacceptable dummy-spit (many have), GuyB would start his own thread whose sole purpose is to denigrate and ridicule said rider.

The points raised / questions asked in my post were treated with the same contempt, or to put it more fairly, fobbed-off with the same level of effort as the standard of journalistic vigor he brings to investigating stories that may embarrass or take the shine off a factory rider or prominent motocross industry identity.
wreckitrandy
3/8/2016 5:38am
So I take it that Gibby shouldn't be counting on your vote for the Pulitzer?
Walloper
3/8/2016 5:41am
Maybe I just threw the Tantrum of the Week...
Uncle Tony
3/8/2016 5:42am
Walloper wrote:
I read his answer, but I would be surprised if there was a member here that actually believes that if a factory rider had a piss-poor...
I read his answer, but I would be surprised if there was a member here that actually believes that if a factory rider had a piss-poor and unacceptable dummy-spit (many have), GuyB would start his own thread whose sole purpose is to denigrate and ridicule said rider.

The points raised / questions asked in my post were treated with the same contempt, or to put it more fairly, fobbed-off with the same level of effort as the standard of journalistic vigor he brings to investigating stories that may embarrass or take the shine off a factory rider or prominent motocross industry identity.
I'm gonna have to agree with walloper I think he makes a good point, when members say something negative about a factory rider the posts get clicked, and I'll probably get clicked
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/8/2016 5:45am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 5:46am
Walloper wrote:
I read his answer, but I would be surprised if there was a member here that actually believes that if a factory rider had a piss-poor...

Would it have made you happier if I'd called you an idiot and clipped your account? You seem to want to pick a fight.

To give you a somewhat better answer, check here. http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Vince-Friese-Youre-Doing-…

B-EVANS
3/8/2016 5:47am
Several years ago we saw a similar incident at a local race. I told my son, who knows he is spoiled and luckier than most, that if I ever saw him do something like that I'd never buy him another bike. He won't even lay his bike on the ground without doing it gently. Teach your kid to respect what he has
NotCore
3/8/2016 5:51am
Flip109 wrote:
I will just share my personal experience. When I was 14 I was racing a regional at Lake Whitney in the 85cc class. My bike let...
I will just share my personal experience. When I was 14 I was racing a regional at Lake Whitney in the 85cc class. My bike let go while running pretty good in a moto. I was so mad I threw my bike down and kicked the shit out of it and stomped off. Not my finest moment. By the time I reached the fence and started to cool down, the guy who was doing my suspension work let me HAVE IT. I don't remember his exact words to this day but he said things you prob shouldn't say in public to a 14 year old kid, and said If he ever saw something like that again he would rip his stickers off my bike and never do anything for me again. I then headed back to the track to get my bike where I met my dad already pushing it back and well you guessed it. Got it again. I learned a valuable lesson that day. I'm not sure if this kids parents or whoever let him know what a bone head move that was, but clearly they should have. I'm very thankful there wasn't vitalmx back then, and someone there with a camera to post pics of me up on the internet for everyone to pick me apart. Kinda harsh I think.
Good post. Thank goodness public humiliation from an adult professional journalist wasn't common then, and you had the opportunity to mature and reflect on your past mistakes to develop wisdom over time.

This is a kid, not a professional mxer. Compassion would look as good on the average poster on this forum as good temper would have looked on this kid.

NotCore
3/8/2016 5:53am
Walloper wrote:
Maybe I just threw the Tantrum of the Week...
But yours was polite and well reasoned. Credit for that.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/8/2016 5:55am
Uncle Tony wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree with walloper I think he makes a good point, when members say something negative about a factory rider the posts get...
I'm gonna have to agree with walloper I think he makes a good point, when members say something negative about a factory rider the posts get clicked, and I'll probably get clicked
There's a big difference between saying something negative, and going out of their way to be rude and disrespectful.

You're a long way from getting clicked. You'll have to work much harder. Wink

Between Motodrive, and the time at Vital, I've been the admin of this forum for over 15 years. It's usually pretty easy to spot the members who enjoy the sport and want to have a good time, and the ones who just want to be anti-social and get attention for it.
Walloper
3/8/2016 6:03am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 6:04am
GuyB wrote:
Would it have made you happier if I'd called you an idiot and clipped your account? You seem to want to pick a fight. To give...
Would it have made you happier if I'd called you an idiot and clipped your account? You seem to want to pick a fight.

To give you a somewhat better answer, check here. http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Vince-Friese-Youre-Doing-…

If you actually think I'm an idiot based on my post then I would have preferred you call me an idiot. It would go towards proving my point re the contempt you seem to have for your members who you seem to have no issues with criticising.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm making a point based on obs that have been bothering me for a while. I can't help it if you have thin skin. It's called a discussion.

It was not my intent to derail the thread. Just raise a point / ask a question I felt needed to be raised / asked.

And all due respect, that linked thread and your contribution to it is your rebuttal to my post? Really?

***EDIT***
If you think my post was anti-social for the sake of seeking attention and not a fair and legitimate question, then you have truly been living in your own kingdom and like all kings, feel free to exercise your power and click my account.
3/8/2016 6:09am
Jacob Hayes can throw down with the best, in victory or when he is a little bitch. If one of my riders leaves my bike on the track, it will be a long walk home.

Uncle Tony
3/8/2016 6:11am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2016 6:12am
GuyB while i definetly agree with you about the kids behavior, I don't think he should have been made an example of like that, I have seen my fair share of tantrums at the track and have pulled a few myself (even well into my 40''s) I just don't think it was in good taste, although I know you meant well
And thanks for not clicking me!
Spydee
3/8/2016 6:13am
Spydee wrote:
Bit like calling Peick "lame" and "spoilt" for kicking his bike off the stand that time he got knocked out of the LCQ at Daytona a...
Bit like calling Peick "lame" and "spoilt" for kicking his bike off the stand that time he got knocked out of the LCQ at Daytona a few years ago, no? You don't know the story behind this kid, maybe he borrowed the bike and it was a pile of shit hence why he didn't want it back.
So, if you borrow someone's POS to race and it breaks, it's ok to just walk off and leave it on the track? As long as...
So, if you borrow someone's POS to race and it breaks, it's ok to just walk off and leave it on the track? As long as you're done with it and the owner doesn't want it back, just drop it and let someone else clean up your mess? If anyone is ok with this scenario, I'm embarrassed for you.
Your words not mine.
Titan1
3/8/2016 6:18am
If he's 17 and racing 250C, this sport is going to be nothing but a hobby for him (17 year olds with a future in the sport are already racing pro or at minimum the A class at 17) so knowing this was in the C class makes his reaction even more ridiculous.
hillbilly
3/8/2016 6:20am
GuyB wrote:
Would it have made you happier if I'd called you an idiot and clipped your account? You seem to want to pick a fight. To give...

Walloper wrote:
If you actually think I'm an idiot based on my post then I would have preferred you call me an idiot. It would go towards proving...
If you actually think I'm an idiot based on my post then I would have preferred you call me an idiot. It would go towards proving my point re the contempt you seem to have for your members who you seem to have no issues with criticising.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm making a point based on obs that have been bothering me for a while. I can't help it if you have thin skin. It's called a discussion.

It was not my intent to derail the thread. Just raise a point / ask a question I felt needed to be raised / asked.

And all due respect, that linked thread and your contribution to it is your rebuttal to my post? Really?

***EDIT***
If you think my post was anti-social for the sake of seeking attention and not a fair and legitimate question, then you have truly been living in your own kingdom and like all kings, feel free to exercise your power and click my account.
You are an idiot.
three9zero
3/8/2016 6:21am
Walloper wrote:

As you were men.
He would not have to make a post if a pro rider did this...there would be 20 of them on vital in 30 seconds of it happening, with a witch hunt of epic proportions
3/8/2016 6:22am
Jacob Hayes can throw down with the best, in victory or when he is a little bitch. If one of my riders leaves my bike on...
Jacob Hayes can throw down with the best, in victory or when he is a little bitch. If one of my riders leaves my bike on the track, it will be a long walk home.

DBM doesn't take any shit, I can guarantee you that.
resetjet
3/8/2016 6:27am
Somebody tell that kid to loosen his chain a bit......
hillbilly
3/8/2016 6:32am
resetjet wrote:
Somebody tell that kid to loosen his chain a bit......
Turn the master link clip the other way.

Post a reply to: Tantrum of the Week

The Latest