Tanel Leok privateer for 2018

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2017 12:38 AM

Tanel Leok will be a privateer for the 2018 MXGP-season. He'll ride a Husqvarna, and will race at least all the European rounds.

Last season Leok was racing for the Italian 8Biano Racing Husqvarna team, who will focus on MX2 next year. Leok had a few other options for next season, but decided to go privateer, so he can spend more time with his family in Estonia.

Leok: "I will be a privateer on a Husqvarna. I had other options, but in the end it seemed better for me to start my own small team. Maybe I'll take another young Estonian rider in the team aswell. In this way I can spend more time at home with my family. Offcourse I'll race every European round, and if everything goes well maybe all of them. Or at least the first race in Argentina."

This leaves Bobryshev and Paturel as the biggest names without a ride next year in MXGP. Every other rider has a ride now, although not all officially yet. In MX2 Van Doninck is the only one who hasn't signed yet.

|

11/7/2017 12:57 AM

As Paturel was mentioned, what’s his deal with BUD Racing? I saw that he’s rode French SX on their bike.

|

11/7/2017 1:50 AM

Finnish_Flash_62 wrote:

As Paturel was mentioned, what’s his deal with BUD Racing? I saw that he’s rode French SX on their bike.

SX-deal only.

|

11/7/2017 3:47 AM

How old is tanel? He just keeps going year after year, respect for that. To have that motivation every off season again.

Tanel would be great as a team manager/team trainer in the future if you ask me.. allot of experience and the right mental/fitness/passion

Good luck for the old dog!

|

11/7/2017 3:48 AM

What happend with Van Donick btw? No news about him Why he left or What is next.. Strange..

|

11/7/2017 4:36 AM

Bidirella wrote:

What happend with Van Donick btw? No news about him Why he left or What is next.. Strange..

And what about Petar Petrov??

|

11/7/2017 5:56 AM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Assomotor Honda MXGP

|

11/7/2017 6:01 AM

Bidirella wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

You can see pics of Petrov on Honda here: Petrov on Honda

Leok news also here: http://gatedrop.com/tanel-leok-reveals-plans-2018/

|

Gatedrop.com

SX King MC
World MX King Everts
US MX/SX Goat RC

11/7/2017 6:03 AM

How does he make any money as a privater in MXGP? I thought they don't pay purse money... I guess his income would come from his other sponsors?

|

2019 KTM 350 XC-F
Daytona Dirt Riders (DDR)
Floridatrailriders.org (FTR)

11/7/2017 7:02 AM

I love this guy. He's been at a consistently high level for decades now.

Does he actually still live and train in Estonia?

|

11/7/2017 7:21 AM

Do any of you guys know how the MXGP team registration system works?
I thought you had to be on an "approved" team to race in MXGP, and pay a bunch of money to Youthstream.
How can Tanel just show up on a "privateer" bike to race?

|

11/7/2017 7:40 AM

Man, Leok has spun some serious laps in his career. From what I understand, he and his family are like moto royalty in Estonia. I remember him buzzing right in front of me on a pit bike at the Namur GP in 2006. Crazy he’s still grinding it out

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

11/7/2017 9:18 AM

|

11/7/2017 9:44 AM

Bidirella wrote:

How old is tanel? He just keeps going year after year, respect for that. To have that motivation every off season again.

Tanel would be great as a team manager/team trainer in the future if you ask me.. allot of experience and the right mental/fitness/passion

Good luck for the old dog!

I agree. In fact when there was talk about the man being replace as team USA mxon manager, I thought of Tanel Leok straight away.

He's ridden for his country 17 times I believe, where as some US riders cba after a couple of tries.

Who's going to say no to a guy that has ridden the event 17 times on top of a full GP calendar & national series.

|

11/7/2017 11:21 AM

Same age of Cairoli and as many years competing professionally.

|

11/8/2017 6:27 AM

Bidirella wrote:

Most likely 8Biano Husqvarna.

|

11/8/2017 7:13 AM

keinz wrote:

Terminatorsmile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanel_Leok

line-up wrote:

Same age of Cairoli and as many years competing professionally.

I reckon there ain't many who have represented their country as many times as Leok at the mxdn?

|

11/8/2017 7:21 AM

mx_563 wrote:

I thought you had to be on an "approved" team to race in MXGP, and pay a bunch of money to Youthstream.

It works as you described. However, a select few (including Leok) have the pull to go the privateer route if they want to. Kevin Strijbos did this as well a few years back when he was in between teams.

|

*Anyone but Reed or Webb Crew*

11/8/2017 5:00 PM

EastFlorida wrote:

How does he make any money as a privater in MXGP? I thought they don't pay purse money... I guess his income would come from his other sponsors?

If had to guess a combo of
+ manufacturers provide materials (bike, tyres, fuel, etc) as loaners or even sell it at season end
+ distributor/dealer puts in some in kind (mechanic, van, etc)
+ helmet/gear cash deal
+ some sponsorship
+ race national championship for purses

|

11/8/2017 5:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 5:21 PM

Funny story.....

Went to MXdN this year, and wasn’t quite sure what we needed to do for the VIP sign in / pickup. We ended up standing in the rider will call line in front of Leok for 20 minutes, while everyone else was eyeballing me (I was in USA gear from head to toe). It was pretty funny, and turns out it wasn’t even the right line! Photo

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

11/9/2017 2:14 AM

EastFlorida wrote:

Luckily there are few good guys in Estonia who really love motocross and have money. They will pay year salary to Tanel and help him with the bikes. Also the KTM(Husqvarna) factory helps a little.

|

11/9/2017 2:20 AM

mx_563 wrote:

Any privateer can go and race at MXGP if the startlist is not full. You just pay the money for one GP and go race if there is a free spot on the list.

|