Tall riders, what have you modified on your bike and feel like is a MUST for us lanky tall people?

LungButter
5/1/2020 4:40pm
876moto wrote:
Do you guys think that moving the handlebar clamps forward on the triple clamp changes the way the bike feels when turning? Does it make the...
Do you guys think that moving the handlebar clamps forward on the triple clamp changes the way the bike feels when turning? Does it make the bike twitchier? I haven't moved mine forward from the stock rear position, but might do it if it doesn't change any of that stuff. I am 6'2 on a 19 kawi 450.
I think it leads to headshake if your bars are forward of the center of the forks.
lappedrider
5/1/2020 4:43pm
RC Tall Bars.

I also go tall seat but that is more for my bad knees.
nytsmaC
5/1/2020 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 5:14pm
Tall bars will but your weight further back when standing. If you’re already tall/lanky this isn’t what you want.

Biggest issues I’ve had being tall is the sitting to standing transition and being able to grip with my knees. Some bikes are better than others when it comes to this. Lower footpegs help but some bikes are a lost cause.
motoXracer971
5/1/2020 7:22pm
I’m using a Guts tall seat with FLO lowering pegs, an an SX Race bend bar in the farthest forward position with +5mm risers on a new YZ and it feels night and day better than stock, for me. I’m 6’3” for reference.

The Shop

Moto520
5/1/2020 8:31pm
I get a tall seat, taller bar (stock 2019 kawi bend), bars in forward holes but back in the handlebar holders, suspension set up for a taller guy, and that’s it. The honda is definitely cramped stock in comparison to the other bikes
Yeti831
5/1/2020 11:21pm
Tall seat foam BUT with soft foam.

Not too much taller and because you sink into the seat more with soft foam, it grips way better and is easier on the back.
5/1/2020 11:36pm
I’m a “Honda guy” and fried tall bars, seats bar positioning etc. couldn’t get my Honda’s to feel comfortable.

Got on 17 and 18 Kawasaki and feel instantly comfortable. My point is don’t be afraid to try some drastic like a different bike. I can’t tell you how much more I love my 18 Kawasaki than my 17 Honda.
H4L
5/2/2020 5:34am
@ 6’1” I have generally run taller bars through the yrs & have had good success with that. I have thought about trying different foot pegs with a lower offset, but haven’t felt the need.
I’m also on the newer gen 18 & 20 Honda 450 chassis & feel it’s very good once set up.
5/2/2020 6:53am
I’m 6’3” and I had the same bike as you, and in my opinion, you went the wrong way on your handlebars. My personal favorite bend is Pastrana MX, which is RM low. These bars have little rise and little sweep. The reason I prefer this setup is because as a tall rider, my goal is to spread myself across the bike rather than building it to sit taller and exacerbate my way-too-high center of gravity. Bar risers force your bars up and back, shortening the reach from your shoulders to the bars, effectively making it more difficult for you to stay in the attack position.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/2/2020 3:24pm
I’m 6’3” and I had the same bike as you, and in my opinion, you went the wrong way on your handlebars. My personal favorite bend...
I’m 6’3” and I had the same bike as you, and in my opinion, you went the wrong way on your handlebars. My personal favorite bend is Pastrana MX, which is RM low. These bars have little rise and little sweep. The reason I prefer this setup is because as a tall rider, my goal is to spread myself across the bike rather than building it to sit taller and exacerbate my way-too-high center of gravity. Bar risers force your bars up and back, shortening the reach from your shoulders to the bars, effectively making it more difficult for you to stay in the attack position.
This. Don't forget that your triple clamp isn't parallel to the ground. "Up" = back.
sandtrack315
5/2/2020 4:52pm
I’m 6 foot, which I think is about the max for stock parts. I do prefer the Stewart Renthal bend bars though. Less sweep and a tiny bit higher opens up the cockpit well on the Yamaha.
charlie68
5/3/2020 4:19am
I dont have input on the mods, but would like to mention just because 2 guys are 6'3" and this works or doesnt work, doesnt mean they are tall in the same area, 1 dude could have a 38" inseam ( leg ) and a short torso and the other the opposite, but in theory the arms should be the same length.
5/3/2020 6:02am
Every pro rider I (1.90/6'2) have ever talked to have told me to not change a thing. Perhaps move your handlebars forward a bit.

Using a regular bar riser will actually move the handlebar backwards as well, which is a bad idea.
resetjet
5/3/2020 6:12am
I try to ride bennie bloss style with my ankles bent. Knees bent and ass back a little. Has worked best for me.
5/3/2020 7:52am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 7:53am
6’1” is not tall and lanky. That being said, staying close to the center of gravity is always preferable no matter how tall, short, fat, or skinny you are.

I’m 6’6” and make every effort to stay small on the bike.
mofomotojoe
5/3/2020 6:55pm
6'4" 220 lbs
I tried risers and while comfortable for cruising around, not good for moto. It would hinder ability to lean way forward. they threw me back and makes it harder to stay low.

Biggest gain for me was the raptor footpegs -5mm down, -5mm back.
I don't care so much about being lower ( not great with rocks ) but being further back makes a world of a difference..to me.

Tried taller seats. To me this is wrong. Being tall I don't want to sit higher. I think the issue is the transition seating/standing, which the taller seat might alleviate.

I read that factory honda (pre-production rule) would mount the footpegs exactly where you want them.
In mXGP , these guys can have longer frames as needed.
It would be cool if like mountain bikes, we could try different frames..but that's not gonna happen unless you are factory rider in MXGP.

The bike makes a difference. I have found older, vintage 80s bikes like the KX500 and the 86' CRs with big fat tank
to actually provide great knee support. Never thought these ugly fat tanks would feel good in that specific area.
A lot of modern sleek bikes do tend to not have anything to grip between the knees when a tall rider is fully standing up. oh, and the issues of knee-braces/guards but that's another story.

Also.. these last years. I am riding further forward on my feet. closer to my toes than the heels. Have to be careful, a little too far and you can break/tweak both ankles when OJ.
Move a lot, re-position feet just like regrip and adapt. Staying low and riding different bikes to keep it fresh. So far I am gelling really well with the 2020 KTMs. I was going to install custom seats, bars and clamps Like I always did on previous ones, but in stock trim it's pretty good.
Also. I ride a lot of mini bikes. BW80s, 1985-1986 CR80s. It feels like switching bikes a lot is good for adapting, staying loose.

David Knight was a good example for reference. He's 6'4" I recall. Years ago I was curious about his bar and clamps setup.At the time I was myself feeling cramped up while riding. I emailed him and guess what? he replied. Turns out tall folks can live fine without fancy bars/clamps.
He did not recommend taller bars. Just bars straight with forks.
Now to look at current racers who are tall/... Billy Bolt? Let's check his setup...

On a side note. hands being above average.. I abhor "standard" grip size. I used to insert custom made rubber sleeves between the bar ends and the grips. I would use 2 throttle side grips ( larger inner diameter ) and force them over the custom sleeve inserts. the goal was to enlarge the grip diameter which is too small to my taste.
It made the bike feel GGREEAAT. My buddies would hate it.
I stopped doing that because it was a lot of work, making the two different inserts , forcing the grips over them etc..
Replacing grips I would have to redo whole inserts every time.

Cheers

Sierra Ranger
5/3/2020 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 7:25pm
Love my Guts Racing tall seat, but I guess it depends on your leg-body ratio. I have longer legs, so a regular seat feels like a BMX bike. Tall seat makes knee grip actually possible.
5/3/2020 9:13pm
6/1.75 barefoot long arms for my size. On cr125 04,06 I use rg3 clamp 4or 6 mm higher and forward, Windham bend bar. Not the highest , just feels right. IMS pegs- low boy, lower and farther back. Install a thick gripper seat cover. I beat the seat with a baseball bat to get the foam, to where I Like it. I run more sag in shock, still corners great. Just needed to open things up a little. Stock I get the bars caught on my leg cornering, trouble shifting-too big of boots. Use skate board tape over the air box, more grip. With changes it,s near perfect Smile
2b
5/4/2020 2:59am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2020 3:03am
+1 for lower pegs , thats all i have now i am 6'2 ,tried the bar risers years ago but was no good for cornering.
mine are 5mm lower. have never tried a taller seat but never felt the need after changing pegs

Edit - oh and forgot the custom gear lever which is 15mm longer for bigger boots LOVE this thing

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Hammerhead-Yamaha-YZ250F-WR250F-15mm-Blue-…
419250f
5/7/2020 6:30pm
2 rides in with Flo lowering pegs on my YZ and wow, amazing the difference. I have so much more control. Everything else stock, other than straight and low bars.
Mr. Afterbar
5/7/2020 7:55pm
876moto wrote:
Do you guys think that moving the handlebar clamps forward on the triple clamp changes the way the bike feels when turning? Does it make the...
Do you guys think that moving the handlebar clamps forward on the triple clamp changes the way the bike feels when turning? Does it make the bike twitchier? I haven't moved mine forward from the stock rear position, but might do it if it doesn't change any of that stuff. I am 6'2 on a 19 kawi 450.
I’m 6’2” and prefer the back mount location. The added stability allows me to charge harder and not hang on as tight when riding over the front of the bike. Also a lot less sketchy when I’m trying to hang on at the end of a moto with arm pump.
liver
5/8/2020 5:57pm
I’m 6’4” with a long torso and long arms. The big Yamaha fits me the best. I buy the widest and most square bar, maybe a 3/4” rise, and kinda scoot the grips about 1/4” on each side to make em wider, or my outside wrist area hurts.
Gravel
5/8/2020 8:15pm
I’m 6’ even, I’ve always run a slightly taller seat and an underbar stabilizer. Just opens up the seating a bit. I don’t do it because it makes me faster, it doesn’t. I just like being more comfortable..
kkawboy14
5/9/2020 1:19pm
I’m 6’1” but I have never had to make any changes from stock. I used to run the ex-low bars now I run the Windham998 rentals in the forward position on my KX450 with the pegs in the low setting. I don’t feel cramped at all.
rongi#401
5/9/2020 2:33pm
Diet to your optimal weight and up your stamina and strength. The world will become a new place

Post a reply to: Tall riders, what have you modified on your bike and feel like is a MUST for us lanky tall people?

The Latest