Talk me into a newer KTM 500 EXC-F / Husky 501 FE

Josh422
6/28/2018 1:14pm
BobPA wrote:
Nah, you can mod your stock exhaust. Or buy an OEM setup on EBay for $100 from a 450 SX-F. And since when are slip ones...
Nah, you can mod your stock exhaust. Or buy an OEM setup on EBay for $100 from a 450 SX-F. And since when are slip ones $700?

Or you can buy a 450 XC-F and put lights on it. 3 of my bros have 300 XC’s street legal. KTM’s have (or had) and MC title. So all you have to do is send in for your registration in PA. All of the Japanese bikes are title as off-road, which make it a pain to become street legal.
Same situation, the DOL stated my MSO had no restrictions so I was able to plate it without getting an inspection. It's now titled as a street bike.

Washington State allows you to dual sport a dirt bike and get a plate, but you have to go through an authorized shop that inspects it to make sure everything meets DOT requirements.
Xeno
6/28/2018 1:29pm
The JD FI tuner is a good solution. It makes the bike ridable by increasing fuel output, but it doesn't adjust the ignition timing.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
6/28/2018 1:31pm
Xeno wrote:
The JD FI tuner is a good solution. It makes the bike ridable by increasing fuel output, but it doesn't adjust the ignition timing.
True!
Johnny Depp
6/29/2018 9:16am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2018 9:18am
Here's a shocking Beta test where they ride the bike on the freeway to the 24hrs. of Glen Helen on a course that included the National MX track, WIN the Over 40A class on a STOCK bike, and ride it back home. It doesn't get much better than that.

"2017 Beta 430 RR-S

Way More Than A KTM Alternative

Durability was excellent during the demanding race and beyond.
Versatile bike that's capable of being ridden in a plethora of conditions. "

https://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2017-beta-430-rr-s/#Mw8rvcU4WOphw7V…

With a Beta 4t holding 2L of oil, in separate chambers avoiding contamination from clutch components into the engine, and a super big oil filter, these things can go a long way between changes.

The Shop

rallendude
6/29/2018 7:27pm
Not much to add here except, I went to Moab a couple of times last year. The first trip, I rented a KTM500EXC. We drove to the rental shop and got on and rode off through town. We rode everything from sand washes to slick rock and ledges (note, slick rock isn't slick). The bike was flawless besides being corked up too much and having crappy DOT tires. I'd buy one in a second to ride in the woods around here is ours weren't so tight. The 500 would just be too much bike in tight single track. But if it's wider than a four-wheeler, it would be awesome. Oh, and that button.
6/29/2018 7:54pm
Would still keep a dedicated moto bike, but man these bikes just seem so, so bitchin - they aren't cheap but they seem to hold their...
Would still keep a dedicated moto bike, but man these bikes just seem so, so bitchin - they aren't cheap but they seem to hold their value well... and the thought of riding out of my garage and pounding out some seat time in some local woods / construction sites / light moto, then back home without the loading/unloading aspect sounds down right tantalizing. I hear with the right setup, they can literally feel like a street legal moto bike with a bigger tank...

Would love to hear comments from anyone that owns one, has ridden one, knows the go to setups for them etc

https://youtu.be/kgsr7bxINIg
You will be dead soon, get it before that happens.
Johnny Depp
7/14/2018 11:31am
A comparison test from Dirt Bike on the Husky vs. the Beta.

"As for picking one over the other, we have to say that the Beta is the top bike in stock form. It has an edge
in power, suspension and standard equipment. Aside from tires, the Beta’s instrumentation is much better,
and the price is over a grand lower. Once you get into modifications for competition, it might be different. But,
that’s a story."

http://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/Dirt%20Bike%20Magazine%20500…

BobPA
7/14/2018 11:50am
A comparison test from Dirt Bike on the Husky vs. the Beta. "As for picking one over the other, we have to say that the Beta...
A comparison test from Dirt Bike on the Husky vs. the Beta.

"As for picking one over the other, we have to say that the Beta is the top bike in stock form. It has an edge
in power, suspension and standard equipment. Aside from tires, the Beta’s instrumentation is much better,
and the price is over a grand lower. Once you get into modifications for competition, it might be different. But,
that’s a story."

http://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/Dirt%20Bike%20Magazine%20500…

Beta made a mistake going to while plastics...The red looked awesome.
7/14/2018 4:21pm
I own the 2017 KTM 500exc-f and absolutely the best bike I’ve ever owned hands down!! So much fun to be able to go anywhere I...
I own the 2017 KTM 500exc-f and absolutely the best bike I’ve ever owned hands down!! So much fun to be able to go anywhere I want and it’s the ultimate wheelie machine! I’ve also stiffened up the forks and rode Moto at Central Village, CT and had a blast! Easily cleared all the jumps and love it in the woods! I’m entering a Hillclimb event at the end of July and can’t wait!! I’ve put a decent amount of money into it and worth every penny! My only complaint is the front forks are decent for trails and dual sport but in reality pretty much suck. Race Tech makes a kit for them that adds a mid-valve and I’ve read really good reviews but $500. Other than that I love this bike more than anything!! Just wish I had more friends that had dual sports. DecalWorks just hooked me up with new gripper graphics with my logo. Got new tires and a bunch of different sprockets to test for the hillclimb event!!
Definitely get one and I promise you won’t be disapointed!!

This is hilarious. I was just up at sport Durst today in NC & they had a brand new 19 in fresh outta the crate, what a beautiful bike. I was telling the salesman there it was the best wheelie machine I've ever ridden(not their 19 but the 14 I had)! You can literally just roll on in 3rd to bring the front right up & just go as far as you want or even click another gear or 2 to go faster. The torque & smooth but blunt roll on just begs for you to stand her up every time you're ready to accelarate. Man that bike was fun

Post a reply to: Talk me into a newer KTM 500 EXC-F / Husky 501 FE

The Latest