Taking time off from work/life to ride..

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2020 4:04 PM

Has anyone ever done this? Like quit their job and spent 6 motnhs to a year to go riding/racing? i dont ride moto anymore but kind of want to buy another dirtbike and get back into it or buy a trackbike (for road racing)

im in my early 30s, single, no family and have an okay paying job. im not rich but im not your average deadbeat broke millenial.

for those that have done this..how much did you spend? how much did you ride?

|

8/11/2020 4:10 PM

There is one thing to keep in mind when considering this - in moto you might as well have some bad luck, ride twice and spend the rest of those 6 months recovering. I'd stick to the dayjob and treat moto as a hobby, if you plan a longer trip, take a couple of days off. It might be just me but it would be extremely hard to get back to normal life after half year spent on drinking beer and riding bikes. On the other hand it's just reasonable part of me talking, I rarely listen to my own advices 😉

|

8/11/2020 4:23 PM

The last time I rode more then two weeks straight, was only because I was laid off from work back in 08.

|

8/11/2020 4:28 PM

I actually did something like this 5 or so years ago. I’m self employed so I didn’t quit my job completely but I backed off on my hours so I could ride 3 to 4 times a week and train more as I took up motocross in my early twenties so had never been able to ride more than twice a week with work commitments and I wanted to give myself a fair shot at racing. It is far more expensive than you think it is going to be. The more you ride the more parts you burn through plus the more track fees you pay so I wouldn’t recommend not working at all as you still need money coming in but apart from the cost you will have a great time doing it.

|

8/11/2020 4:32 PM

Question is how much money do you have saved up? And how much of that is gold/silver/btc? You are only "young" once, so I say why not do it?

In fact, I quit my cushy 6 figure job about 15 months ago and it has been awesome! Of course my dirtbike has been down for the last 4 months, but I found lots of other stuff to do.

No kids and wife, what do you have to lose?

And if you make it out west, there is prime riding season starting up in September. Western Colorado/Eastern Utah will keep you so entertained, you'll never want to go back to work!

|

8/11/2020 4:33 PM

28hall wrote:

I actually did something like this 5 or so years ago. I’m self employed so I didn’t quit my job completely but I backed off on my hours so I could ride 3 to 4 times a week and train more as I took up motocross in my early twenties so had never been able to ride more than twice a week with work commitments and I wanted to give myself a fair shot at racing. It is far more expensive than you think it is going to be. The more you ride the more parts you burn through plus the more track fees you pay so I wouldn’t recommend not working at all as you still need money coming in but apart from the cost you will have a great time doing it.

i was planning on saving up for it as id have no $$ coming in.

|

8/11/2020 4:38 PM

6 months. No income.

You’ll probably want to dedicate around $3,000 to parts, at LEAST.

But you’ll probably want to have around $25,000 I would say. That way you can eat, sleep, and have a comfortable lifestyle while doing this.

Motovan would be the way to go, as hotels would eat your money up fast.

Get a 24 hour gym membership and shower there. And just send it.

Sometimes we need change in life, and you end up finding yourself.

You only live once, and in my opinion, 30s is still young enough to do stuff like that, especially with no kids or wife.

|

8/11/2020 4:55 PM

Yup. 17 years as a programmer walked out on a friday never looked back.....

|

8/11/2020 4:55 PM

I did the opposite. And hated every second of it lol. Slowed way down on the bikes. I didn’t quit but I only rode maybe once a month for about 5 years. Got a high paying job that I didn’t love and saved my ass off. Paid off all my stuff pretty much and made some good investments. Because of that sacrifice I can now buy new bikes and ride whenever I want pretty much. Now 35 and plan on hitting the bikes hard for as long as I live.

If your going to do It then do it big though.! Make sure you have the funds to do the things you really want to do.

|

8/11/2020 5:03 PM

Do it!!!!!! I did this when I was 25 ( 49 now) i was single, no wife, no kid. I had about 15k in cash and lived off my credit cards. Some of the best times of my life! Lived cheep, Stayed at Koa campgrounds and sleep in my van when and where I could. I Had to watch every dime, but it Can be done and You will Not Regret it!........ JUST DO IT!!!!

|

8/11/2020 5:10 PM

My life long, best buddy friend is living the dream. We are both 54. He's down to working part-time, making a full time living and he rides pretty much every day. He's got some cool stuff he puts up on his youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ5Yq38hmNBnkdctENaGioA

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

8/11/2020 5:26 PM

“im not rich but im not your average deadbeat broke millenial.” 😂😂😂 That made me laugh

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

8/11/2020 5:29 PM

I'm turning 32 this year with a partner, a mortgage, a dog but no kids just yet. Middle income bracket I guess.

Taking 6 months to a year off, whilst is obviously a dream/fantasy, would set me/us back so far financially that its not really comprehensible. I feel like a 60yr old living in a 30yr old body though, so I look at the long term cost versus the short term gain. If you look at the outgoing costs, combined with the income loss, surely you're in the vicinity of $50k (USD) upwards.

Everyone's position and lifestyle is different, but my perspective looks at that as going $50k backwards in our progression towards being debt free later in life.

I would absolutely LOVE, however, to take maybe 2 to 3 weeks off to travel to Whistler or New Zealand and just ride the world's best mountain bike parks all day, every single day.

|

8/11/2020 5:34 PM

I take time off work BECAUSE of dirtbike riding. Im on my second week off due to injury. Haha! But seriously I would just make sure you got health insurance. That would be my biggest setback.

|

8/11/2020 5:37 PM

Depending on how far you travel. I did it about 6-7 years ago. Put 40k miles on my truck, rode 4 days a week. Hit 28 races. Spent close to $40k over 10 months. Plan on doing it again in a few years. Daughter is a freshman this year. When she graduates, im out again

|

8/11/2020 5:58 PM

dedi684 wrote:

Yup. 17 years as a programmer walked out on a friday never looked back.....

ya im a developer (ETL guy) and there are days when i feel like this silly silly

|

8/11/2020 6:06 PM

For the last 35 years I could kinda ride about anytime I wanted to.

|

8/11/2020 6:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2020 6:31 PM

Financial Independence/Retire Early

Low overhead in life gives you leverage at work to make your own schedule - get really good at your job and make sure they know you don’t NEED to work.

Lots of good info out there. Not rocket science, live well below your means, save your ass off, and stop working early and live life for awhile.

I’m working my way there now - paying off debt and making investments when I can. After the house is paid off I’m going to rent it so we have some cash flow when we take off in a box van.

Moto is tough to do frugal but it is possible - I’m gonna start a thread tomorrow about it.

Another good tip lots of FI people give is to turn your biggest expense into income (or at least off set some of that expense somehow.) - selling tee shirts, product rep, YouTube ad, photographer or something you can do at the track to cover some expenses.

By 30 my plan is to take the whole summer off and follow the 125 all stars in a box van with the old lady.

|

8/11/2020 6:42 PM

Can some of you youguns share your “good investment” ideas/successes as I have been middle class all my working career with 401k and pension plan. Live a frugal/simple life and have 7.5 years to go before I can consider retirement at 59.5. Would love to walk out tomorrow and ride/travel more but health insurance alone is what keeps me showing up...what am I doing wrong???

|

8/11/2020 6:54 PM

brocster wrote:

Can some of you youguns share your “good investment” ideas/successes as I have been middle class all my working career with 401k and pension plan. Live a frugal/simple life and have 7.5 years to go before I can consider retirement at 59.5. Would love to walk out tomorrow and ride/travel more but health insurance alone is what keeps me showing up...what am I doing wrong???

the FIRE movement is a millenial thing that is mostly young professionals (developers, lawyers, finance types, etc) that essentially maximize their income and slum it (live well below their means) and invest aggressively in stocks/bonds or other assets that produce income.

i dont make 300K a year so i dont see the point but if i was on that level of making money id def do it. working is for idiots

|

8/11/2020 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2020 7:04 PM

That’s actually pretty much what I’m doing right now. I had some summer riding/racing plans in place already but because of covid I’ve been able to dedicate much more time to moto than anticipated. I got laid-off in March 14th, spent the rest of March and all of April doing absolutely nothing, and then started hitting it hard on May 1st. I’d guess I’ve been riding an average of 4-5 times a week since then. The past few years I was only able to ride once during the weekend and hopefully once during the week because of working full time.

I highly recommend it if you can afford it somewhat comfortably! Also like someone else mentioned, a motovan is the way to go.

Edit: Oh and how much have I spent? I’m afraid to add it all up lol. Worth every penny though.

|

8/11/2020 7:08 PM

MotofactioN wrote:

6 months. No income.

You’ll probably want to dedicate around $3,000 to parts, at LEAST.

But you’ll probably want to have around $25,000 I would say. That way you can eat, sleep, and have a comfortable lifestyle while doing this.

Motovan would be the way to go, as hotels would eat your money up fast.

Get a 24 hour gym membership and shower there. And just send it.

Sometimes we need change in life, and you end up finding yourself.

You only live once, and in my opinion, 30s is still young enough to do stuff like that, especially with no kids or wife.

I’d say this is pretty accurate. But that $25k figure largely depends on what you already have as far as bikes and vehicle and also largely dependent on how fast you are/how hard you are on bikes.

|

8/11/2020 7:14 PM

brocster wrote:

vtec wrote:

the FIRE movement is a millenial thing that is mostly young professionals (developers, lawyers, finance types, etc) that essentially maximize their income and slum it (live well below their means) and invest aggressively in stocks/bonds or other assets that produce income.

i dont make 300K a year so i dont see the point but if i was on that level of making money id def do it. working is for idiots

Ok. So I need the formula. Invest aggressively, make large gains, pay taxes on said large gains end up with a low 6 digit income. Take out cost of living and it’s middle class income. How do you do the math to “retire” at 30/35. What am I missing? There are taxes and penalties that bust your balls around every corner. School me up! Been looking for the secret handshake for a while...

|

8/11/2020 7:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2020 7:15 PM

Like mentioned in a post above, health insurance would be the main thing. It’s something you don’t really think about until you need it. Hospital bills can add up faster than the accident that caused them.

|

8/11/2020 7:20 PM

vtec wrote:

Has anyone ever done this? Like quit their job and spent 6 motnhs to a year to go riding/racing? i dont ride moto anymore but kind of want to buy another dirtbike and get back into it or buy a trackbike (for road racing)

im in my early 30s, single, no family and have an okay paying job. im not rich but im not your average deadbeat broke millenial.

for those that have done this..how much did you spend? how much did you ride?

i would think that it comes down to being able to afford your daily expenses while spending on riding. if you have no responsibilities other than to yourself i dont see no harm in it.

heck might as well move out, get a moto van, put all your items in storage etc and enjoy the summer.

best thing is to make a plan, make a budget and move on it.

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

8/11/2020 7:25 PM

Worked 10 yrs traveling with a pipeline co. They run your life, fly home then get a call on your 2nd day off. To fly out early, my fiancé hated that. I quit 2-98. 3-98 to 11-98 I didn,t work a real job. I was 32 and I had a blast, Mx riding, racing in other states, jet skiing- took 3 diff girls out in 1 day. Bmx, mtn biking, fishing, dated countless women, rd trip concerts. I bought a custom trl for Mx, rented it for 1k a month to a family. Had a cool box van and a pu to haul the bikes. At 55 I,m doing it again. For health insurance, I put aside 70 a week in a hsa, max allowed is 3,800 a yr I think. Anyone who gets injured bad riding is off for 6 months, so I don,t think it,s a big deal to take time off.

|

8/11/2020 8:00 PM

I recently went through a divorce and decided to RV it full-time. For the immediate future, I plan on traveling, camping and riding as much as possible (no fixed address except for a PO Box). It feels awesome. 'Course I still have a job that allows me to work remotely anywhere I have an Internet connection. You are going to need money to do this, but it's doable. I'm in my early 50s though. You need a little bit of planning and a really good attitude to do this, IMO.

|

8/11/2020 8:03 PM

brocster wrote:

vtec wrote:

brocster wrote:

Ok. So I need the formula. Invest aggressively, make large gains, pay taxes on said large gains end up with a low 6 digit income. Take out cost of living and it’s middle class income. How do you do the math to “retire” at 30/35. What am I missing? There are taxes and penalties that bust your balls around every corner. School me up! Been looking for the secret handshake for a while...

most of these people graduated from elite colleges and were making high 6 figure incomes @ 21/22 years old.

a mid level developer at a place like FB makes around 300-400k a year..i think netflix pays their top guys 400k+ a year cash, no stock options. same applies to the guys who do a stint in investment banking or top law law firms..

do that for 10 years and live frugally while investing..it adds up.

alot of these people also move out of the country as well or find ways to work remotely. they dont neccesarily retire so to speak but they do everything in their power to avoid the trappings of the middle class rat race (..which is a dead end, especially if you're a white guy in corporate america lol..)

|

8/11/2020 8:04 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

Worked 10 yrs traveling with a pipeline co. They run your life, fly home then get a call on your 2nd day off. To fly out early, my fiancé hated that. I quit 2-98. 3-98 to 11-98 I didn,t work a real job. I was 32 and I had a blast, Mx riding, racing in other states, jet skiing- took 3 diff girls out in 1 day. Bmx, mtn biking, fishing, dated countless women, rd trip concerts. I bought a custom trl for Mx, rented it for 1k a month to a family. Had a cool box van and a pu to haul the bikes. At 55 I,m doing it again. For health insurance, I put aside 70 a week in a hsa, max allowed is 3,800 a yr I think. Anyone who gets injured bad riding is off for 6 months, so I don,t think it,s a big deal to take time off.

were you dating these girls or were you "paying for play" ??

silly whistling

|

8/11/2020 8:36 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

vtec wrote:

were you dating these girls or were you "paying for play" ??

silly whistling

I had a mop top hair dew, so cool people wanted to punch me in the face.smile so girls where easy. Few weeks ago in Va. where waiting at flying j for showers. 1 guy didn,t know what his receipt meant. I told him your code for your shower, pops up on the screen. Etc. He was from Cali. Part of the super bike school. Showers are 13 bucks with 50 gal of fuel there free. Wi. Has cheap showers 7, 8 bucks. I see non trucking people buy showers all the time. They park in the car area in there van, to sleep. Free rent.

|