Taking Kids to Budds

Max D
Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 3:53pm
Apologies for jumping the gun. I know Unadilla is the next stop, but I’m going to my first ever National at Budds Creek and was wondering if anyone has a second to give me a few tips or suggestions? I’ll be taking two young kids with me on Fri-Sat. 🤟🏼
|
AngryBear
7/31/2019 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 10:24pm
Max D wrote:
Apologies for jumping the gun. I know Unadilla is the next stop, but I’m going to my first ever National at Budds Creek and was wondering...
Apologies for jumping the gun. I know Unadilla is the next stop, but I’m going to my first ever National at Budds Creek and was wondering if anyone has a second to give me a few tips or suggestions? I’ll be taking two young kids with me on Fri-Sat. 🤟🏼
what age kids?

while we haven't gone to budds, i've taken two young kids to nationals every year for the past 5, starting as young as 2. and have had a GREAT time by all, every time.

i highly recommend getting a ticket that gives you pit access. racer x all day pit access ticket has been our go to. being able to move around in/out the pits during the day was a highlight for the kids, who honestly have as much time looking at the trucks/bikes than they do at the races at that age. pits in the morning using the cheaper pit pass can be a crowded zoo, pits once the racing starts, 12-5pm, is basically a ghost town, you can walk and see all the rigs freely, come and go from there to the track, and depending on budd's layout, most nationals have good track viewing while still within the pits.

gain access to a BOB style jogger stroller, if you don't have one already. you can thank me later. thats for all your gear, and them when they are tired.

bring enough snacks/drinks for the day as if concessions don't exist. lines can get very long, which is fine for adults, but not for hungry toddlers.

bring a backpack with spare clothes/shoes for everyone. and more snacks. and then some more snacks. and an umbrella.

have fun it's a blast and something we look forward to every year now!

Max D
7/31/2019 11:00pm
AngryBear wrote:
what age kids? while we haven't gone to budds, i've taken two young kids to nationals every year for the past 5, starting as young as...
what age kids?

while we haven't gone to budds, i've taken two young kids to nationals every year for the past 5, starting as young as 2. and have had a GREAT time by all, every time.

i highly recommend getting a ticket that gives you pit access. racer x all day pit access ticket has been our go to. being able to move around in/out the pits during the day was a highlight for the kids, who honestly have as much time looking at the trucks/bikes than they do at the races at that age. pits in the morning using the cheaper pit pass can be a crowded zoo, pits once the racing starts, 12-5pm, is basically a ghost town, you can walk and see all the rigs freely, come and go from there to the track, and depending on budd's layout, most nationals have good track viewing while still within the pits.

gain access to a BOB style jogger stroller, if you don't have one already. you can thank me later. thats for all your gear, and them when they are tired.

bring enough snacks/drinks for the day as if concessions don't exist. lines can get very long, which is fine for adults, but not for hungry toddlers.

bring a backpack with spare clothes/shoes for everyone. and more snacks. and then some more snacks. and an umbrella.

Thank you for the advice! Honestly, I never even thought about extra clothes and such. That is a great idea!
Sierra Ranger
7/31/2019 11:28pm
Budds can be a lot of walking- I guess they still have the shuttles. But it's a lot of hills and walking from the parking lot. And the sun can be brutal, so lots of sunscreen. I would bring a wagon or stroller or something to haul them around in.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/1/2019 6:06am
Before you get to the gate, there is a path to your left where you can park in the woods or in the field of a local Mennonite family. For me it has been the closest option for years. I think it is 10 bucks. There is a house that rents the entire lawn across from the gate, but it fills up quick.

I like to walk around because it one of the best spectator tracks on the schedule. Seeing a moto start and watching them slam through the rollers towards the finish is killer. Then from there just walk around. I usually settle in at the bottom somewhere for a few motos. The big hill near the old finish/announcers tower is a good place if you don't want to move much.

The tree shade will be packed with people. Bring plenty to drink. Bring boots or shoes (or both depending on conditions) with some tread on them, the hills are slick with rocks. You will see at least a few bust ass around Henry Hill tunnel.

These are the parking areas near the track that I mentioned:

The arrow to the left is the Mennonite place, when it's time to leave, its will put you out away from traffic for the most part. Address is 28090 on MD-234.

The Shop

phatfi20
8/1/2019 6:40am
I took my 3 yr old to High Point this year and while it could have been a disaster, it turned out great. I was worried he might get bored, complain and I wouldn't be able to see any of the races and i don't want to turn him off to coming when hes older . We got a front row seat and I did a lot of talking to him to engage him about what was happening in the race. I told him riders names and who they were trying to catch etc and he really seemed to respond to it and it held his interest for longer. I was sort of his own announcer dumbing it down and i think thats a good strategy to make sure he enjoys the day. He played in the dirt off and on during the motos but didn't complain or want to leave.

Get pit access since I agree the little ones like that stuff and just people watching in the pits. As said above, I felt like a freaking sherpa with all the stuff you bring. Walking stroller, sunscreen, umbrella, dirt bike toys (my 3 year old went between watching the races at high point and playing in the dirt with those new ray dirt bikes. Snacks, so you're not spending 11 dollars a meal to feed a 3 yr old.

Just my experience and you as well as every other dad tailor everything it to what works for their kids.
lumpy790
8/1/2019 7:15am
Did you post something about this on facebook?

I used to live in Waldorf and Mechanicsville so Little Tip for you when leaving to go around the long stop and go traffic.

When headed both north and south .... Go right out of the track and do not lake the immediate left 236 the liquor store like everyone else. Keep going a couple miles and make a L on Mechanicsville road and take it to RT 5 and make a Left. If going south stay on RT 5 to RT 6 and make a L and stay on tr 6 all the way to Laplata then L on 301 south.

If going North take RT 5 all the way to the north side of Waldorf.

moto314
8/1/2019 8:19am
I've been to many Nationals all over the country but this will be the first time taking my 3 year old and first time to Budds also. Because of that we decided to camp with a small RV trailer. I am hoping the preferred camping is close enough to walk back to between motos. Friday night there will be a pizza party for kids and pit bike races also. Wasn't planning to bring a stroller but may put up an EZ UP in the infield and you are welcome under it for some shade.
Sabez
8/1/2019 8:40am
This will also be my first time at Budds and my first time at a Nationals. I'm excited! We're also camping but didn't choose preferred, we don't mind walking.
alexk417
8/1/2019 9:25am
Get there early so you can get some decent parking (if arriving Sat). Wear comfortable shoes or hiking boots as there are hills at Budds. Bring sunscreen and maybe an umbrella so you can make yourself some shade if needed.

Viewing is pretty cool at Budds because you can almost follow a rider the entire length of the track.

Last year was hot hot hot and humid. It can be a long day for sure, just gotta pace yourself from trying to see too much too quick.

mxmom79
8/1/2019 9:45am
We started taking both of our kids to races at super early ages, the first national we took them to was Muddy Creek in 2017 (my son was 2 my daughter was 1) and we’ve been to all kinds of nationals since then. We even took our son who was 3 at the time to MXoN at red bud. We bought one of those wagons with the big wheels last year just before unadilla just so we don’t have to carry two toddlers around in the heat lol. We actually even take it with us to GNCC races because I swear there’s nothing worse than carrying around a whiny kid 😂

Sierra Ranger
8/1/2019 9:56am
My kid is five and has been to Hangtown national twice- thank God for the Red Bull sandpit. She played in that thing all day long and it worked out great. And the Red Bull girls will shower you with attention when you have a little girl. Woohoo
shmacky78
8/1/2019 1:36pm
Max D wrote:
Apologies for jumping the gun. I know Unadilla is the next stop, but I’m going to my first ever National at Budds Creek and was wondering...
AngryBear wrote:
what age kids? while we haven't gone to budds, i've taken two young kids to nationals every year for the past 5, starting as young as...
what age kids?

Duly noted !! Great advice. Might be taking my 3 year old to Ironman. good times 😝
Max D
8/1/2019 3:53pm
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice and good directions to and from the track. Hopefully it will be a smooth day for us! We are stoked for sure!!
711stretch
8/2/2019 4:02pm
alot of hills Max, might need to wagon your pups around. think about an umbrella, the August date can be a humid, hot scorcher. My first time was '88 or '89ish, loved each trip. buy em a t-shirt!!

Post a reply to: Taking Kids to Budds

The Latest