Taco Moto

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
11/25/2020 5:42pm
[b]S P O K E W I T H M Y W A L L E T[/b] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/24/461165/s1200_Screen_Shot_2020_11_24_at_9.32.42_AM.jpg[/img]
S P O K E W I T H M Y W A L L E T

Not to hijack the thread, but I grew up pretty close to where you are. 10 HWY and Kill Creek in De Soto. Spent lots of time in Lawrence.

Back to the topic; looks handy I could probably make one, but it’s not that pricey and it’s helping kids learn some stuff.
kkawboy14
11/25/2020 6:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least...
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least you will have this for awhile and everyone at the track will be impressed everytime you use it.

You didn’t even impress the chics for 5 minutes with those drinks
xrmark wrote:
Spoken like someone who spent 30 bucks on two mojitos and the chick was not impressed.
I’ve been married for 38 years to the same woman! She’s a sure thing so I don’t need to buy drinks!
JM485
11/25/2020 6:38pm
USA wrote:
I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I...
I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I said so much that these guys make tons of sales out of people's spite for me.
JM485 wrote:
The issue is time, printing takes time not material cost. People ask me why my cable guide sets cost $30 when they’re “just a piece of...
The issue is time, printing takes time not material cost.

People ask me why my cable guide sets cost $30 when they’re “just a piece of plastic”, here’s why. For each order I have to go in and edit the part to have whatever text the customer desires, possibly change some dimensions around if necessary. Then, as you know, it gets run through the slicing software and sent to the printer. From there, the print for a full cable guide set takes about 2 hours, I can go faster but print quality suffers. Now, once all the parts are done, I have to do a little bit of clean up and package them for shipment.

All said and done, I’ve probably spent about 20-30 min hands on time as well as two hours of print time to create the parts, plus another $3-$5 for shipping depending on sizing. That leaves me about $25 profit, of which a bit goes to my websites host site on a monthly basis and material costs. That’s also not taking into account all of the failed prints and learning curve it took getting a material and design dialed in, so that has to be considered as well because it’s very valuable.

People don’t think about what it takes to create even a basic part, and if mine weren’t somewhat of a passion project it wouldn’t even be worth the time. The fact that these kids have gotten something like this going and started out with a simple yet clever product is great, we should be encouraging everything they’re doing not undermining it.
TeamGreen wrote:
Damn near everytime I leave the office late at night...and I turn the office lights off...I see the lights on both of our "part makers" are...
Damn near everytime I leave the office late at night...and I turn the office lights off...I see the lights on both of our "part makers" are on. I always say "Lights Out" when I do.

I remember...years ago...at Lockheed (NOT Lockheed-Martin!) when we talked about letting the machines do the work without ANYONE watching them...like it was a big deal...back then SOMEONE had to watch the machines make every part and be ready to shut it down if something went wrong.
Grinning
A few years later the term Lights Out Manufacturing became a thing. Huh

Technology is awesome.
I don’t know if we’re there quite yet, at least for home use Laughing

I’ve had a hell of a week with print failures due to what I now think was a bad tube connecting my extruder to the hot end, but trying to diagnose a problem like that isn’t an easy task and I’m still not 100% sure I have it right. I’ll tell ya what though, losing two prints 6+ hours in will make you say things you didn’t even know you could haha. Point being, that’s another reason why printed parts are expensive, it’s not a matter of if prints will fail it’s a question of how often. Obviously higher end printers have a lower fallout rate, but none of them are perfect. I let mine run overnight and when I’m not home since it has quite a bit of thermal runaway failsafes, but things can still happen unfortunately.

And to everyone saying “I could have made that”, ya you’re right and so could I, but we didn’t and these kids did so they can sell if for whatever they want. As far as the outrageous shipping I’d bet that it’s just an error in the Shopify settings, it can get a little tricky but it can be tailored to each product if I remember correctly and that may have been overlooked.
MotoRick
11/25/2020 7:21pm
motomad724 wrote:
Mike Spurgin who owns and operates Taco Moto Co out of Vegas is one top notch dude. I could give tons of examples of him helping...
Mike Spurgin who owns and operates Taco Moto Co out of Vegas is one top notch dude. I could give tons of examples of him helping folks out including me big time! But he does bleed orange for the most part LOL.

Sells cool stuff and does Baja tours among other things. Neat chain gadget too
Taco Moto Co
This! Mike's a great guy and lives KTMs. He and Jeff Slaven give so much back to the KTM community with there help / install videos. Find someone else to make fun of. He's one of the good guys.

The Shop

motomad724
Fantasy
1036th
11/27/2020 7:30am
motomad724 wrote:
Mike Spurgin who owns and operates Taco Moto Co out of Vegas is one top notch dude. I could give tons of examples of him helping...
Mike Spurgin who owns and operates Taco Moto Co out of Vegas is one top notch dude. I could give tons of examples of him helping folks out including me big time! But he does bleed orange for the most part LOL.

Sells cool stuff and does Baja tours among other things. Neat chain gadget too
Taco Moto Co
MotoRick wrote:
This! Mike's a great guy and lives KTMs. He and Jeff Slaven give so much back to the KTM community with there help / install videos...
This! Mike's a great guy and lives KTMs. He and Jeff Slaven give so much back to the KTM community with there help / install videos. Find someone else to make fun of. He's one of the good guys.
*and make fun of himself LOL

He helped me diagnose my 500EXC after i drowned it over FB messenger; i learned a ton taking the steps he said and by watching his videos. I need to get out there and ride! Obtainable bucket list material right there
xrmark
11/27/2020 7:31am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least...
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least you will have this for awhile and everyone at the track will be impressed everytime you use it.

You didn’t even impress the chics for 5 minutes with those drinks
xrmark wrote:
Spoken like someone who spent 30 bucks on two mojitos and the chick was not impressed.
kkawboy14 wrote:
I’ve been married for 38 years to the same woman! She’s a sure thing so I don’t need to buy drinks!
Touche
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/27/2020 9:52am
JM485 wrote:
I don’t know if we’re there quite yet, at least for home use :laugh: I’ve had a hell of a week with print failures due to...
I don’t know if we’re there quite yet, at least for home use Laughing

I’ve had a hell of a week with print failures due to what I now think was a bad tube connecting my extruder to the hot end, but trying to diagnose a problem like that isn’t an easy task and I’m still not 100% sure I have it right. I’ll tell ya what though, losing two prints 6+ hours in will make you say things you didn’t even know you could haha. Point being, that’s another reason why printed parts are expensive, it’s not a matter of if prints will fail it’s a question of how often. Obviously higher end printers have a lower fallout rate, but none of them are perfect. I let mine run overnight and when I’m not home since it has quite a bit of thermal runaway failsafes, but things can still happen unfortunately.

And to everyone saying “I could have made that”, ya you’re right and so could I, but we didn’t and these kids did so they can sell if for whatever they want. As far as the outrageous shipping I’d bet that it’s just an error in the Shopify settings, it can get a little tricky but it can be tailored to each product if I remember correctly and that may have been overlooked.
After reading your post and me not understanding a word you say or having a clue about 3D printing is exactly why I would buy a product like the taco moto chain gauge. Good for them. Cool

Post a reply to: Taco Moto

The Latest