kkawboy14
Edited Date/Time 11/27/2020 9:52am
Pretty good stuff there!

|
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
11/23/2020 5:22pm
A product that works and is shaped like a taco. What’s not to love?
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/23/2020 5:34pm
Damn good idea but $20 for something I made with some scrap wood laying around the shop??

The Shop

11/24/2020 3:45am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 3:48am
Good idea and nice execution! Name is good!

My constructive comments for future product release: make the product color coded according to the brand color with the right slack measurements for each brand.
EngIceDave
11/24/2020 5:09am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 5:10am
Don't laugh too hard, back on 70's and 80's, "Nylon chain guides" were the shit.
They'd wear this deep ass groove into it

(I know not what this is, made me think of it)
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
11/24/2020 5:13am
Cool, keep chain lube off my fingers with that checking tension!
Press516
Fantasy
90th
11/24/2020 6:17am
This is what I saw when I read the thread title...

Anton_514
11/24/2020 6:50am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 6:53am
“I’m all for free market and ingenuity. It breeds innovation!”

Meanwhile, a guy makes a product that fills a void, hopes to make a profit, add maybe a little money to the industry.

“Why the fuck would I buy that?! I could have made it.”

Yeah, but you didn’t.

For loving moto as much as many claim, some of you have no issue tearing it to shreds at every single opportunity.
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/24/2020 6:55am
Anton_514 wrote:
“I’m all for free market and ingenuity. It breeds innovation!” Meanwhile, a guy makes a product that fills a void, hopes to make a profit, add...
“I’m all for free market and ingenuity. It breeds innovation!”

Meanwhile, a guy makes a product that fills a void, hopes to make a profit, add maybe a little money to the industry.

“Why the fuck would I buy that?! I could have made it.”

Yeah, but you didn’t.

For loving moto as much as many claim, some of you have no issue tearing it to shreds at every single opportunity.
I did make essentially the same thing and it cost me a whopping 5 minutes of my time. I think it's a cool idea, especially for people with the extra money and no means to make something like this themselves.

How many of these are you planning to purchase?
Anton_514
11/24/2020 7:01am
USA wrote:
I did make essentially the same thing and it cost me a whopping 5 minutes of my time. I think it's a cool idea, especially for...
I did make essentially the same thing and it cost me a whopping 5 minutes of my time. I think it's a cool idea, especially for people with the extra money and no means to make something like this themselves.

How many of these are you planning to purchase?
As soon as they get one for a YZ, I’ll order.

Oh, and it’s made by kids.

“All our Taco Moto Co. 3D printed products are engineered and produced by 14 year old Brady and Kaden and 13 year old Elijah.

“Our partnership with these clever and innovative kids gives them fantastic exposure and experience with business, creativity, design and fabrication and hopefully will give them a leg up with practicing these skills at such a young age and a real boost to their self confidence and optimism to pursue technical careers if they choose to go that route.”
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/24/2020 7:10am
Anton_514 wrote:
As soon as they get one for a YZ, I’ll order. Oh, and it’s made by kids. “All our Taco Moto Co. 3D printed products are...
As soon as they get one for a YZ, I’ll order.

Oh, and it’s made by kids.

“All our Taco Moto Co. 3D printed products are engineered and produced by 14 year old Brady and Kaden and 13 year old Elijah.

“Our partnership with these clever and innovative kids gives them fantastic exposure and experience with business, creativity, design and fabrication and hopefully will give them a leg up with practicing these skills at such a young age and a real boost to their self confidence and optimism to pursue technical careers if they choose to go that route.”
Pretty awesome that some kids came up with this idea. I hope they get quite a few sales.
hypermoto
11/24/2020 7:18am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 7:37am
USA wrote:
Pretty awesome that some kids came up with this idea. I hope they get quite a few sales.
Pretty awesome for you to come in and shit on a cool ass product that some kids are making. (His previous post)

Good for them, I will purchase one for my bike.
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/24/2020 7:23am
USA wrote:
hypermoto wrote:
Pretty awesome for you to come in and shit on a cool ass product that some kids are making. (His previous post) Good for them, I...
Pretty awesome for you to come in and shit on a cool ass product that some kids are making. (His previous post)

I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I said so much that these guys make tons of sales out of people's spite for me.
hypermoto
11/24/2020 7:36am
USA wrote:
I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I...
I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I said so much that these guys make tons of sales out of people's spite for me.
Welcome to life. What product doesn’t have a markup? Does a coffee really cost $1.50 or does it cost 3 cents? Does a MX jersey really cost $75 to make? Or does it cost $2? As a business that’s how you turn a profit.

For me that product would cost over $1k to create. As I don’t have a 3D printer. I would assume I’m in the majority.
piscokid
11/24/2020 10:43am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2020 7:08pm
I just cut a 2x4 the length needed based on the bike make and model. I sand it up and make it look nice. I ID'd it with a Sharpie. I never ever thought someone would pay for that.....D'oh! Cool little product, wish I would have thought of it.
JM485
11/24/2020 12:28pm
USA wrote:
hypermoto wrote:
Pretty awesome for you to come in and shit on a cool ass product that some kids are making. (His previous post) Good for them, I...

USA wrote:
I have experience with 3d printing and thats less than $2 worth of material. I said its a cool idea. I hope people hate what I...
The issue is time, printing takes time not material cost.

People ask me why my cable guide sets cost $30 when they’re “just a piece of plastic”, here’s why. For each order I have to go in and edit the part to have whatever text the customer desires, possibly change some dimensions around if necessary. Then, as you know, it gets run through the slicing software and sent to the printer. From there, the print for a full cable guide set takes about 2 hours, I can go faster but print quality suffers. Now, once all the parts are done, I have to do a little bit of clean up and package them for shipment.

All said and done, I’ve probably spent about 20-30 min hands on time as well as two hours of print time to create the parts, plus another $3-$5 for shipping depending on sizing. That leaves me about $25 profit, of which a bit goes to my websites host site on a monthly basis and material costs. That’s also not taking into account all of the failed prints and learning curve it took getting a material and design dialed in, so that has to be considered as well because it’s very valuable.

People don’t think about what it takes to create even a basic part, and if mine weren’t somewhat of a passion project it wouldn’t even be worth the time. The fact that these kids have gotten something like this going and started out with a simple yet clever product is great, we should be encouraging everything they’re doing not undermining it.
Bruce372
11/24/2020 1:04pm
I was about to hit buy, and then saw $12.99 shipping.

Looks like a great product, but not $30+ to my door
ktmdan
11/24/2020 2:03pm
Thought this thread would be about Bultaco bikes..

Gosh that’s a lot of money to check your chain. Maybe I should mass produce my homemade chain straightness checker dealy-whopper.

For chain height, just mill out a piece with the low end being the minimum chain height and the longer side be the max chain height. Before that I just used calipers.
hypermoto
11/24/2020 2:09pm
ktmdan wrote:
Thought this thread would be about Bultaco bikes.. Gosh that’s a lot of money to check your chain. Maybe I should mass produce my homemade chain...
Thought this thread would be about Bultaco bikes..

Gosh that’s a lot of money to check your chain. Maybe I should mass produce my homemade chain straightness checker dealy-whopper.

For chain height, just mill out a piece with the low end being the minimum chain height and the longer side be the max chain height. Before that I just used calipers.
$18 for a tool you buy once is “a lot of money”?

I know 6 year olds who have enough tooth fairy money to not notice that purchase...
kkawboy14
11/25/2020 4:17am
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least you will have this for awhile and everyone at the track will be impressed everytime you use it.

You didn’t even impress the chics for 5 minutes with those drinks
kkawboy14
11/25/2020 4:18am
ktmdan wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/24/461366/s1200_9414A145_A6B6_4B25_A07B_40A9394D991C.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/24/461365/s1200_0D064574_8EB3_423D_8618_0854314D3FDC.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/24/461367/s1200_CE3AE022_832F_4993_B550_8BD1E1496BAE.jpg[/img]

Hey Dan......sharpen your foot pegs! 😂
ktmdan
11/25/2020 6:31am
kkawboy14 wrote:
They only have 24 hours on them Sad
kkawboy14
11/25/2020 3:49pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
ktmdan wrote:
They only have 24 hours on them Sad
Just messin with you, everybody knows your not factory if you don’t have sharpened pegs! 😂
motomad724
Fantasy
1036th
11/25/2020 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 5:46pm
Mike Spurgin who owns and operates Taco Moto Co out of Vegas is one top notch dude. I could give tons of examples of him helping folks out including me big time! But he does bleed orange for the most part LOL.

Sells cool stuff and does Baja tours among other things. Neat chain gadget too
Taco Moto Co
xrmark
11/25/2020 4:52pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least...
Just buy one! You guys spend $30 on 2 alcoholic drinks at “The Club” on a Friday night and that disappears the next morning. At least you will have this for awhile and everyone at the track will be impressed everytime you use it.

You didn’t even impress the chics for 5 minutes with those drinks
Spoken like someone who spent 30 bucks on two mojitos and the chick was not impressed.
TeamGreen
11/25/2020 5:05pm
hypermoto wrote:

USA wrote:
JM485 wrote:
The issue is time, printing takes time not material cost. People ask me why my cable guide sets cost $30 when they’re “just a piece of...
The issue is time, printing takes time not material cost.

People ask me why my cable guide sets cost $30 when they’re “just a piece of plastic”, here’s why. For each order I have to go in and edit the part to have whatever text the customer desires, possibly change some dimensions around if necessary. Then, as you know, it gets run through the slicing software and sent to the printer. From there, the print for a full cable guide set takes about 2 hours, I can go faster but print quality suffers. Now, once all the parts are done, I have to do a little bit of clean up and package them for shipment.

All said and done, I’ve probably spent about 20-30 min hands on time as well as two hours of print time to create the parts, plus another $3-$5 for shipping depending on sizing. That leaves me about $25 profit, of which a bit goes to my websites host site on a monthly basis and material costs. That’s also not taking into account all of the failed prints and learning curve it took getting a material and design dialed in, so that has to be considered as well because it’s very valuable.

People don’t think about what it takes to create even a basic part, and if mine weren’t somewhat of a passion project it wouldn’t even be worth the time. The fact that these kids have gotten something like this going and started out with a simple yet clever product is great, we should be encouraging everything they’re doing not undermining it.
Damn near everytime I leave the office late at night...and I turn the office lights off...I see the lights on both of our "part makers" are on. I always say "Lights Out" when I do.

I remember...years ago...at Lockheed (NOT Lockheed-Martin!) when we talked about letting the machines do the work without ANYONE watching them...like it was a big deal...back then SOMEONE had to watch the machines make every part and be ready to shut it down if something went wrong.
Grinning
A few years later the term Lights Out Manufacturing became a thing. Huh

Technology is awesome.

Post a reply to: Taco Moto

The Latest