TRIUMPH Announces Coming Line Of MX and Enduro Bikes, Carmichael to Test

dboivin
7/20/2021 8:06am
better start with a strong durable, dependable powerplant with electric start. They could have the best bike in the world but if the motor is junk, no one will buy it. rest can be tuned to work. suzuki bike handles great. is a good package except no E start and weak motor (but durable)....not a recipe for sales.
Tumic
7/20/2021 8:13am
So far in modern times the street bike manufactures who have built a offroad bike did not pan out to well. Just look att the Aprilia and then the BMW. Both of them trying to invent the wheel all over again.

Will be interesting to see of they can build a ”normal” bike or if it just ends up being a black KTM that we all shall pretend is a brand new bike like the ”gasgas” when it starts to win races..
BigBoreFan58
7/20/2021 8:20am
If I were TRIUMPH I would have entered the mid sized dual-spot/ADV arena. That's a growth market that needs some real bikes.

And what's with all the snowflakes boycotting Engine Ice? Dave can't have an opinion?
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
7/20/2021 8:31am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 8:32am
If I were TRIUMPH I would have entered the mid sized dual-spot/ADV arena. That's a growth market that needs some real bikes. And what's with all...
If I were TRIUMPH I would have entered the mid sized dual-spot/ADV arena. That's a growth market that needs some real bikes.

And what's with all the snowflakes boycotting Engine Ice? Dave can't have an opinion?
Yeah, he said wait to see if the bike was made in Britain (which it almost guaranteed will not be), and dudes who probably can't shut up about made in the USA products get all huffy. I don't get it.

The Shop

KurtJ99
Fantasy
671st
7/20/2021 8:32am
luke11 wrote:
This is nuts! So long as they’re at least on par with the Suzuki I will buy one and get a triumph road bike to. Rule...
This is nuts!
So long as they’re at least on par with the Suzuki I will buy one and get a triumph road bike to. Rule Britannia 🇬🇧
EngIceDave wrote:
Let's see how much is actually made there
I have quit running engine ice in everything i own just because of the way you act on this message board.
Cancel culture at it's finest and most ineffective.
dcg141
7/20/2021 8:37am
No one has seen any prototypes and they are going MX racing. Bajaj has a relationship with Triumph. I just have a hunch that the bike already exists. I heard some rumblings about Triumph last year but sort of dismissed it because it just did not make sense. This was when the Bajaj relationship was announced. Now they are not only getting into the off road business but they are going to have a race team and no one has seen any sort of bike.. Its just an educated guess on my part so I might be totally off base but I think the bike will look very familiar when we see it.
peltier626
7/20/2021 8:40am
Where is the Bike lineup, worthless with any information. Send Pics!
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
7/20/2021 8:40am
dcg141 wrote:
No one has seen any prototypes and they are going MX racing. Bajaj has a relationship with Triumph. I just have a hunch that the bike...
No one has seen any prototypes and they are going MX racing. Bajaj has a relationship with Triumph. I just have a hunch that the bike already exists. I heard some rumblings about Triumph last year but sort of dismissed it because it just did not make sense. This was when the Bajaj relationship was announced. Now they are not only getting into the off road business but they are going to have a race team and no one has seen any sort of bike.. Its just an educated guess on my part so I might be totally off base but I think the bike will look very familiar when we see it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was familiar.

I also have to think that Triumph isn't stupid and it isn't owned by KTM so it should be unique in some perfectly British way.
Speeddemon73
7/20/2021 8:50am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 8:52am
Triumph better get cooking on the production of said MX line if they want to contest any of the 22' AMA pro races. Isn't one of the rules in the AMA rulebook that you have to have bikes available by April 15th of the year and a certain amount of the motorcycles in dealerships across the AMA regions? I agree with the others that this announcement would of been much more exciting had they posted a picture or two of the actual bikes.
Camp332
7/20/2021 8:52am
If I were TRIUMPH I would have entered the mid sized dual-spot/ADV arena. That's a growth market that needs some real bikes. And what's with all...

Yeah hopefully they get the Dual-Sport models going simultaneously with the MX models.

Agreed, Dave has always been a dick, and a good guy at the same time. Lighten up folks!
philG
7/20/2021 8:53am
Well the chances of running into RC in my local pub just went way up. MX bikes being built 5 mins from my house seems unreal.. .might tidy up my CV to see what jobs they got going

Seriously though, who they hire says a lot about how serious they are and hiting RC to 'develop' it shows that they never took much notice of his set up skills.

Lightning78
7/20/2021 8:54am
Steve125 wrote:
Serious question.. Are they developing a new bike from the ground up or do they have connections to KTM?
If I was a betting man I'd say thell start with a ktm based bike
dcg141
7/20/2021 8:58am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 8:59am
dcg141 wrote:
No one has seen any prototypes and they are going MX racing. Bajaj has a relationship with Triumph. I just have a hunch that the bike...
I wouldn't be surprised if it was familiar. I also have to think that Triumph isn't stupid and it isn't owned by KTM so it [i]should[/i]...
I wouldn't be surprised if it was familiar.

I also have to think that Triumph isn't stupid and it isn't owned by KTM so it should be unique in some perfectly British way.
Been sending some feelers out today but no one has heard anything so I could be way off base.
Speeddemon73
7/20/2021 9:06am
philG wrote:
Well the chances of running into RC in my local pub just went way up. MX bikes being built 5 mins from my house seems unreal...
Well the chances of running into RC in my local pub just went way up. MX bikes being built 5 mins from my house seems unreal.. .might tidy up my CV to see what jobs they got going

Seriously though, who they hire says a lot about how serious they are and hiting RC to 'develop' it shows that they never took much notice of his set up skills.

I wonder how Kawasaki feels about RC jumping ship already. Seems like he just signed on with Kawasaki as a brand ambassador and now already jumping to a new manufacturer.
Crash217
7/20/2021 9:07am
ga_pike wrote:
So if you're Triumph, you have a clean slate to start with. I think they take each existing bike and determine the pros/cons. To me... the...
So if you're Triumph, you have a clean slate to start with. I think they take each existing bike and determine the pros/cons. To me... the biggest decision will be weather to go with a steel or aluminum frame. Personally, I'd start by mimicking KTM steel frames (flexibility) but try to match Suzuki ergonomics (cornering). Will be interesting to see what the do in-house and what they outsource.
Someone did that already... Its called a Sherco. The frame geometry matches a late model RM250 and the construction is KTM style tubing. They're really nice bikes if you get the opportunity to check them out.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
7/20/2021 9:08am
philG wrote:
Well the chances of running into RC in my local pub just went way up. MX bikes being built 5 mins from my house seems unreal...

I wonder how Kawasaki feels about RC jumping ship already. Seems like he just signed on with Kawasaki as a brand ambassador and now already jumping...
I wonder how Kawasaki feels about RC jumping ship already. Seems like he just signed on with Kawasaki as a brand ambassador and now already jumping to a new manufacturer.
No, he didn't. That Kawasaki was built by PC, not Kawasaki. He's been affiliated with Triumph as long if not longer than he's had the KX450 you're thinking of.
Speeddemon73
7/20/2021 9:09am
I really hope that Triumph makes their own bike from the ground up. That would be more impressive than another rebranded KTM clone. If they wanted to be different from the others, it would be neat to see Ohlins suspension on a production MX bike. Often times the only time I've seen Ohlins is A-kit on a pro or privateer ride. Ohlins seems to be gaining traction in the downhill and enduro mountain bike scene. Maybe some of that can translate over to MX by coming stock on bikes.
Adam43
7/20/2021 9:16am
Triumph better get cooking on the production of said MX line if they want to contest any of the 22' AMA pro races. Isn't one of...
Triumph better get cooking on the production of said MX line if they want to contest any of the 22' AMA pro races. Isn't one of the rules in the AMA rulebook that you have to have bikes available by April 15th of the year and a certain amount of the motorcycles in dealerships across the AMA regions? I agree with the others that this announcement would of been much more exciting had they posted a picture or two of the actual bikes.
Didn't have time to paint the KTMs black
Crash217
7/20/2021 9:18am
I started to wonder about this potentiality about two years ago. A British Market Research company specializing in powersports LJE Rider Research did a huge paid market study with about 100 people from the US mostly, being selected (I was one of the lucky participants) They asked all sorts of questions, some with choose a or b, some essay type questions, some sliding scale type. They even gave participants a huge forum to discuss our ideas of the ideal motorcycle and did a couple of phone interviews. It was very interesting and the study took place over about a month with people checking in for a new round of questions every few days. They would not elaborate any further on which company was behind the market research, but said it was a huge, well established brand, looking to expand into the dirt bike market. if I recall right one of the questionnaires lead you down a path "of what existing european brands that don't currently make dirtbikes would you be most likely to buy from? Triumph, Ducati, Aprilia, BMW etc" Evidence point 1, if you're a manufacturer, do you outsource this type of research to another country or use someone that's right down the road from you? Location of the researchers is England.

Then Triumph got Ricky to go on a couple big ADV rides seemingly out of the blue awhile back, and shortly after that he announced he was parting ways with Suzuki after 15ish years with little to no information about what he was going to do next as far as dirtbikes brand... This was evidence point 2 for me and my conspiracy theory grew.

It also makes a little sense for Triumph to want a MX/Enduro bike when you consider that AFT is getting a lot of notoriety these days. Triumph was big into the Flat Track scene way back when and an AFT singles bike is not much more than a modified 450 class dirtbike. A reach, but it is a market the bikes can be used for.

I wish Triumph and those involved well. I hope the bikes are bad ass and sell like hotcakes. I certainly have had their 1200xc scrambler on my radar for a year or two, just can't commit to yet another street bike. I hate commuting on a bike in my current city and never dedicate the time to take them out on trips anymore with a little kid running around. I think i've put less than 5k miles on a street bike in the last 7 years after commuting on one every day the 7 years prior to that.
user760a
7/20/2021 9:27am
This is awesome!! Trumph is making some really awesome street bikes these days too. i have confidence that they will do well. wow!
Markus422
7/20/2021 9:29am
My friend got a new Daytona 765 last year and it is one of the nicest looking motorcycles I have ever seen in person. I’ve also loved every Tiger I’ve ever ridden. High hopes for their MX line. Hopefully it goes over better than Aprilia and they don’t do something wild like put an inline triple in it ahahhaa
TeamFlannel
7/20/2021 9:37am
Crash217 wrote:
I started to wonder about this potentiality about two years ago. A British Market Research company specializing in powersports [url=https://www.facebook.com/ljeriderresearch]LJE Rider Research[/url] did a huge paid...
I started to wonder about this potentiality about two years ago. A British Market Research company specializing in powersports LJE Rider Research did a huge paid market study with about 100 people from the US mostly, being selected (I was one of the lucky participants) They asked all sorts of questions, some with choose a or b, some essay type questions, some sliding scale type. They even gave participants a huge forum to discuss our ideas of the ideal motorcycle and did a couple of phone interviews. It was very interesting and the study took place over about a month with people checking in for a new round of questions every few days. They would not elaborate any further on which company was behind the market research, but said it was a huge, well established brand, looking to expand into the dirt bike market. if I recall right one of the questionnaires lead you down a path "of what existing european brands that don't currently make dirtbikes would you be most likely to buy from? Triumph, Ducati, Aprilia, BMW etc" Evidence point 1, if you're a manufacturer, do you outsource this type of research to another country or use someone that's right down the road from you? Location of the researchers is England.

Then Triumph got Ricky to go on a couple big ADV rides seemingly out of the blue awhile back, and shortly after that he announced he was parting ways with Suzuki after 15ish years with little to no information about what he was going to do next as far as dirtbikes brand... This was evidence point 2 for me and my conspiracy theory grew.

It also makes a little sense for Triumph to want a MX/Enduro bike when you consider that AFT is getting a lot of notoriety these days. Triumph was big into the Flat Track scene way back when and an AFT singles bike is not much more than a modified 450 class dirtbike. A reach, but it is a market the bikes can be used for.

I wish Triumph and those involved well. I hope the bikes are bad ass and sell like hotcakes. I certainly have had their 1200xc scrambler on my radar for a year or two, just can't commit to yet another street bike. I hate commuting on a bike in my current city and never dedicate the time to take them out on trips anymore with a little kid running around. I think i've put less than 5k miles on a street bike in the last 7 years after commuting on one every day the 7 years prior to that.
The jealousy is real. It’s been a dream of mine since 12 years old to own and develop my own Dirt Bike company. How cool would that be to design a new bike with a clean slate? Not so much as to reinvent the wheel, but to incorporate all the best, most logical solutions into the design to produce a sum of all the best traits.
spimx
7/20/2021 9:38am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 9:39am

This is my daily driver, I had a lot of good times and also a fair amount of problems. I would not be surprised if it was made in Taiwan especially the electronics have been a problem
user760a
7/20/2021 9:39am
1200XE...the baddest retro/modern scrambler out there!!
Press516
Fantasy
126th
7/20/2021 9:39am
Team/bike colors? Black? Silver? They are all over the place on the street bikes.

It's no secret that the basic formula's for both off-road and MX bikes have been settled to be within a certain window on the parameters for quite some time now. Others have tried to venture off and most have been complete fails. I would not expect it this time. I think the challenge will be getting the suspension and frame package working well together in a reasonable amount of time.

Tumic
7/20/2021 9:43am
I really hope that Triumph makes their own bike from the ground up. That would be more impressive than another rebranded KTM clone. If they wanted...
I really hope that Triumph makes their own bike from the ground up. That would be more impressive than another rebranded KTM clone. If they wanted to be different from the others, it would be neat to see Ohlins suspension on a production MX bike. Often times the only time I've seen Ohlins is A-kit on a pro or privateer ride. Ohlins seems to be gaining traction in the downhill and enduro mountain bike scene. Maybe some of that can translate over to MX by coming stock on bikes.
A couple of years back you could buy both TM and GASGAS with Öhlins suspension. As a swede i dont se Öhlins as anything exotic or special and plenty of KTM/Husky/Gasgas riders that have bought a Öhlins kit for their bikes switches to WP cone valve / trax. And some goes for KYB kit for the austrian bikes.

So iaf not even us Swedes want to run it, i dont see why the rest of the world would.
sdfog1
7/20/2021 9:50am

Of course he is free to voice his opinion. The consumers are also free to dislike his opinion and take their money elsewhere. Isn’t that what the “free market” is all about?

A prominent manufacturer entering our sport is something to be celebrated in my opinion.
Dutch348
7/20/2021 9:51am
Ha those red coats on that little island are ballsy
MP261
7/20/2021 10:06am
A black/silver bike, with a steel frame, and a backwards engine.

Post a reply to: TRIUMPH Announces Coming Line Of MX and Enduro Bikes, Carmichael to Test

The Latest