TP199 vs. TP199 Lite knee pads

sandhills
So which are people wearing with mx boots?

I got a pair of the full TP199's but the shin guard ends up way lower than I was imagining, it's tucked way down into the already shin guarded area of my Sidi X-3's.

I think this might not actually be a bad thing, I can adjust the boots to accommodate and it really anchors the knee pad making them feel like an extension of the boot, but the fact that the shin guard is so low that it's redundant makes me think maybe the shin guard version is more of an MTB/BMX thing. Just trying to make sure I'm not mistaken for using the full version in boots.

Curious if the lite version does anchor into the boot as well or if it's more prone to twisting and shifting.
|
wydopen
7/16/2021 9:05pm
I don’t think they go any further into the boot than regular cheapo knee guards. If you take a footpeg to the shin the double layer is going to help
cloud41
7/17/2021 6:17am
I have the regular guards. The shin piece does go low, but it is low profile and does not bother me. The bottom of my old knee braces used to pop put of the boot.
TK40_FC
7/17/2021 6:59am
The lites don't anchor into the boot, but there's no shifting or twisting either. I've been happy with mine, aside from thinking the lower strap could've been a little shorter so you can get it a bit tighter.
JBecker 72
7/17/2021 7:08am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2021 7:09am
I have the original TP199 guards with the sleeves. Very comfortable for me and fit with my SG12 boots nicely. Never had an issue with the longer shin guard area. I see the lite version doesn’t have the sleeves and I bet the straps are uncomfortable with those. But I’ve never worn them.

I need to order a new pair of them this off season. Mine are getting pretty beat up, but they have like 4 seasons on them now. Overall they are the best knee pads I’ve used.

The Shop

Cokeham23
7/17/2021 7:37am
I bought both. I thought I was going to like the lite version better, but ended up really liking the full pads. I gave the lite pads away and bought another set of the full. I like the extra shin protection, even if it is kinda useless being tucked into your boot. I feel like it does help hold them in place though, I’ve never had to adjust them after I put them on. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either version, but I would point you in the direction of the full set.
JBecker 72
7/17/2021 7:59am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2021 8:00am
Cokeham23 wrote:
I bought both. I thought I was going to like the lite version better, but ended up really liking the full pads. I gave the lite...
I bought both. I thought I was going to like the lite version better, but ended up really liking the full pads. I gave the lite pads away and bought another set of the full. I like the extra shin protection, even if it is kinda useless being tucked into your boot. I feel like it does help hold them in place though, I’ve never had to adjust them after I put them on. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either version, but I would point you in the direction of the full set.
Yeah that’s a good point. I don’t ever have to pull up my knee pads or readjust them while riding throughout the day. They stay in place nicely.
MotoChris
7/17/2021 8:10am
Do the original TP199 have a hard plastic knee cup? The description that I read only mentions foam.
sandhills
7/17/2021 8:17am
MotoChris wrote:
Do the original TP199 have a hard plastic knee cup? The description that I read only mentions foam.
Nope! I was surprised how, uh, mild the knee protection is. But I'm coming from wearing nothing.
JBecker 72
7/17/2021 8:18am
MotoChris wrote:
Its flexible and you can deform it under pressure, but if you whack your knuckles against it they feel pretty hard. I don’t know if it’s some kind of non Newtonian foam, but that’s what it performs like. They aren’t squishy.
7/17/2021 8:23am
This topic just motivated me to order a set off EBay. $93 for L/XLs shipped straight to my front door ain’t bad. I called around, and all my local shops are sold out. Ryno’s endorsement has been paying off, apparently!
slipdog
7/17/2021 8:43am
I bought a (full)set a while back because Vital said so and I will never be able to go back. The feel and control on the bike is insanely batter.
cloverdale
7/17/2021 8:46am
I have been at this since 1973, an Engineer by trade,etc. These are the best kept secret. They are in a class all their own; i.e., not a knee guard or a brace....
Cokeham23
7/17/2021 10:01am
JBecker 72 wrote:
Yeah that’s a good point. I don’t ever have to pull up my knee pads or readjust them while riding throughout the day. They stay in...
Yeah that’s a good point. I don’t ever have to pull up my knee pads or readjust them while riding throughout the day. They stay in place nicely.
Honestly that’s the thing I like best about them. My old knee pads moved around all the time, constantly had to adjust them. The TP ones stay in place all day. I work for an AX series, and race it, between my races I'm always on the go walking around and doing stuff, they don’t move at all… or at least not enough that I have to adjust them. Lol
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
8/17/2021 7:01am
Leatt sells similar pads (3DF) that I like better because they seem to fit a little better.
8/17/2021 10:06am
TK40_FC wrote:
The lites don't anchor into the boot, but there's no shifting or twisting either. I've been happy with mine, aside from thinking the lower strap could've...
The lites don't anchor into the boot, but there's no shifting or twisting either. I've been happy with mine, aside from thinking the lower strap could've been a little shorter so you can get it a bit tighter.
Are the Lites a little less bulky around the knee? I rode with the normal TP199s for the first time last weekend and wasn't into how large they feel.
TK40_FC
8/21/2021 10:40am
TK40_FC wrote:
The lites don't anchor into the boot, but there's no shifting or twisting either. I've been happy with mine, aside from thinking the lower strap could've...
Are the Lites a little less bulky around the knee? I rode with the normal TP199s for the first time last weekend and wasn't into how...
Are the Lites a little less bulky around the knee? I rode with the normal TP199s for the first time last weekend and wasn't into how large they feel.
Yeah, I really don't notice mine at all when riding or walking around. Since they are independent of my boots they don't get pulled down or manipulated in any way either. The fox pants I have also have good space for them in the knee, so it's been pretty comfortable all around.

Post a reply to: TP199 vs. TP199 Lite knee pads

The Latest