TM’s in the USA

7/6/2018 9:51am
Gandorlf wrote:
I believe they don't pass homolgation (spelling?) because they don't sell enough units but I could be completely wrong.
correct The rule makers - in an attempt to "root out factory one off bike" when transitioning to the "production rule" structured it so a minimum...
correct

The rule makers - in an attempt to "root out factory one off bike" when transitioning to the "production rule" structured it so a minimum of I think 400 models must be sold to become legal

Then you pay a fee so the bike can be officially legal - and you can go race.

The reality of this rule - is it completely roots out small manufacturers from starting up - a huge WIN for the big OEMS

It would be neat if constructors could build small run production bike - even be it just chassis that they put other engines into - or vice versa

There is NOTHING production about the factory bikes in real world terms...
Is it actually a win for the big 6 though? Think of the cool one-off shit they could make without the rule.
Building cool 1 off shit costs MEGA dollars - although they do spend it.

The GPS are entirely OPEN. Run ANYTHING you want - and the OEMS do build some neat stuff for that series - but most of it is loosely off a production bike - because production bikes are quite good.

But what I continue to not understand - why do people thing the big 6 are racing truly production legal bikes here in the US?????
There is a reason honda crushes their frames and engines after a season - and don't think for one second that with modern casting technology - you couldn't case a new head/port/case etc that looks the same - but isnt.

I digress - the rule is what it is - and certainly isn't changing. Any new company who would want to enter the segment - will have to have mega dollars.
Motofinne
7/6/2018 9:52am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 10:01am
Here is a thought. Just remove the stupid rule. Problem solved and an opening for smaller brands like TM.

Lets say this is the best case scenario: TM thinks it would be good markering to field a 1 rider 450 or 250 team for at least 3-5 years to get more eyes on them in the US market. Wouldn't it be 100% worth it to bin the stupid rule?
7/6/2018 9:53am
mauidex wrote:
the problem...........a definite chicken or egg dilemma......would they sell that many of one model in a single model year before in a sense it is "obsolete"...
the problem...........a definite chicken or egg dilemma......would they sell that many of one model in a single model year before in a sense it is "obsolete"?? doubtful............that is 25% of their self described worldwide production of the whole model line, I don't think it is "build it and they will come"

if they were really serious about US market maybe they could petition AMA to change the rule.........the spirit of the rule I feel was to make sure if someone wanted a particular bike/model it could be bought so maybe for someone like TM it could be 100 units and that would probably even be a stretch to actually sell this before the next model year

would any of the other OEMs be pissed to allow this?? be a good point but what would they fear other than a little unfair so maybe just change the rule period??? be nice to at least see some of the smaller guys compete and would maybe open up a few more rides
I agree with you

As a TM dealer - trust me - they have tried - NO GO

What's even crazier - is MX Sports has FULL authority for outdoors rules. They still wont change it
olds cool
7/6/2018 10:03am
I suppose the actual number is irrelevant but in this thread I read 400 units, then 500 units and finally 200 units. Seems we have a forum full of medical and legal experts but we can't agree on how many dirt sicles a manufacturer has to bring into the country or maybe it's just the low level of my reading comprehension...Tongue

Carry on.

The Shop

mauidex
7/6/2018 10:05am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 10:07am
this was quite awhile ago now..........when Doug Henry actually raced the first 400 4 stroke.........wasnt there an exemption for one race season to allow a prototype/works bike to race??? I don't ever recall TM ever using this to race a national or is that rule now gone??
brocsdad
7/6/2018 11:09am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 11:10am
APLMAN99 wrote:
They don’t have to sell a single bike......

They do have to make a minimum number available for sale, though.
An interesting Distinguishment I guess they can produce 400 that are available here in the USA of one model - then sell their usual 10 -...
An interesting Distinguishment

I guess they can produce 400 that are available here in the USA of one model - then sell their usual 10 - and sit on the rest for parts sales and be legal to go racing...

Yes, from my understanding the bikes must be available to purchase.

In 2009 and 2010 the AMA bent the rules for Cobra and Metrakit due to the economy being so bad.
APLMAN99
7/6/2018 2:03pm
An interesting Distinguishment I guess they can produce 400 that are available here in the USA of one model - then sell their usual 10 -...
An interesting Distinguishment

I guess they can produce 400 that are available here in the USA of one model - then sell their usual 10 - and sit on the rest for parts sales and be legal to go racing...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Or, they can just make sure that they have the minimum number available for sale by the prescribed date and sell them over time, like most...
Or, they can just make sure that they have the minimum number available for sale by the prescribed date and sell them over time, like most manufacturers do. If you had to sell the minimum before you could homologate a bike there are probably a few that wouldn’t qualify by Anaheim.....
You are aware TM only sells about 300 bikes TOTAL in the USA between 40 different models? They sold less than 10 250f's last year on...
You are aware TM only sells about 300 bikes TOTAL in the USA between 40 different models?
They sold less than 10 250f's last year on the 18.5/19 model.

Getting any ONE model up in sales enough to meet 400 would be wishful thinking for them - not to mention my entire point is the 400 model minimum has completely SHUT OUT any new bike developer from starting up - and building a brand up.

It takes a massive investment to produce 400 motorcycles - especially if they don't sell

I don't know the total number of bikes that they sell, nor is it really relevant. Personally I'm not a fan of the production rule at all, but as long as we have it we need to apply it consistently.

Technically, they could probably apply for "Pro" homologation for SX and run a couple of months without having any new bikes in the country, as I think they only have to have 200 by March 1 and the remaining 200 by June 1. I doubt that they'd get their request approved the next year, though, if they didn't meet those minimums.

When it comes down to it, selling less than 10 bikes nation wide isn't really a sustainable business model, more like a hobby. Not that I am happy with it, but it is what it is.

I do sometimes wonder if they would be able to use that one year "exemption" that the other manufacturers were allowed way back when, but I supposed that it's probably already been sunsetted so that it no longer exists.

Oh and as for Honda (or any manufacturer) crushing their bikes as evidence of not following the rules, they've been doing that for much longer than the production rule has been around so I don't think that really shows that anyone is cheating. It's merely a long time practice, probably asked for by corporate attorneys as much as anything else to reduce liabilities as well as having the benefit of not spreading factory "secrets" around as quickly and readily.
APLMAN99
7/6/2018 2:13pm
brocsdad wrote:
Yes, from my understanding the bikes must be available to purchase. In 2009 and 2010 the AMA bent the rules for Cobra and Metrakit due to...
Yes, from my understanding the bikes must be available to purchase.

In 2009 and 2010 the AMA bent the rules for Cobra and Metrakit due to the economy being so bad.
There are 7 MY2018 TM Motorcycles that are AMA amateur legal for the Limited classes, so I think that the number imported for those is a lot less than for "AMA Pro" homologation rules. I would imagine that the Cobra would be classified under the amateur rules as well, so TM currently can compete with any of the other manufacturers in the "Stock" (Limited) class without having to import 400 units. It sounds like for minicycles the minimum number is 75 units, for motorcycles it doesn't actually have a set minimum.
BR8ES
7/6/2018 2:13pm
Not sure what MX Sports is afraid of... TM or any other small mfg will still be a curiosity, no matter the placing. A win would blow minds but not alter the MX universe or powers to be. TM is obviously pretty content with where they are in the world of dirt bikes.

Footnote- in the mid to late 90s a TM actually made it to a national practice, but no further. Apparently officials thought the rider's writing was bad and thought it was KTM.
7/6/2018 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 5:16pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don't know the total number of bikes that they sell, nor is it really relevant. Personally I'm not a fan of the production rule at...
I don't know the total number of bikes that they sell, nor is it really relevant. Personally I'm not a fan of the production rule at all, but as long as we have it we need to apply it consistently.

Technically, they could probably apply for "Pro" homologation for SX and run a couple of months without having any new bikes in the country, as I think they only have to have 200 by March 1 and the remaining 200 by June 1. I doubt that they'd get their request approved the next year, though, if they didn't meet those minimums.

When it comes down to it, selling less than 10 bikes nation wide isn't really a sustainable business model, more like a hobby. Not that I am happy with it, but it is what it is.

I do sometimes wonder if they would be able to use that one year "exemption" that the other manufacturers were allowed way back when, but I supposed that it's probably already been sunsetted so that it no longer exists.

Oh and as for Honda (or any manufacturer) crushing their bikes as evidence of not following the rules, they've been doing that for much longer than the production rule has been around so I don't think that really shows that anyone is cheating. It's merely a long time practice, probably asked for by corporate attorneys as much as anything else to reduce liabilities as well as having the benefit of not spreading factory "secrets" around as quickly and readily.
TM sells less than 10 250f's last year in the USA.
Despite this - they haven been around 40+ years - dominate supermoto in europe, have won tons in enduro, dominate karting, have a moto 3 team in motoGP, won an MXGP moto in mx2 recently...etc etc.

I'd say it's more than a hobby - but don't know much do I..

The sales figures for offroad bikes was published for Australia for a year - I think MOST people would be surprised how few of ANY brand are actually sold now days.

If you work the numbers - A person would be surprised how much money you can make selling 1000 of something....
Even selling 300 of something
or 100

I don't quite see your argument in this thread - other than to argue.

As a TM dealer - I don't quite get MX sports position. Opening the sport to more manufacturers pours more money into the sport. IE a professional race team so that there are more rides available - more support available for local dealers to pour into the sport - etc etc...

I would have supplied a demo bike for a local pro this year if he was allowed to race it outdoors - but he isn't - and he nearly had to quit until a very gracious person bought him some bikes to ride. He may not set the world on fire this year - but it's nice to support kids who work hard - deserve some help - and they boost the community with riding lessons - give the youth local hero's to look up to and talk to at the local races etc etc. He is the whole reason our sport exists - he has raced his way up and supported this moto economy as a consumer to GET to this point where is this good - and quitting now trickles down to other local youth who see he can't make it - and they quit and don't pour money into the sport.

The sport is growing and growing in the divide - as all forms of racing seemingly is - but it doesn't have to be this way.

Interestingly - also mx sports run - TM (and sherco, beta, gas gas) are all allowed in GNCC...and are having success. Some small dealers are also able to support themselves - and a shop employee or two by selling these brands and other products and services that go along with being a small support shop...

It's just a win win in my highly simplistic, un-educated opinion.

BR8ES
7/6/2018 5:06pm
When are the 19s due for release?
mxjon454
7/6/2018 9:03pm
mxjon454 wrote:
How awesome would it be if TM stepped it up and had a factory level 250 team in supercross and motocross? If they actually tried to...
How awesome would it be if TM stepped it up and had a factory level 250 team in supercross and motocross? If they actually tried to have a top level 250 team, i bet they would land a couple top 10 riders just starting out. Their 250 bikes are pretty damn good. If they want to sell more bikes in the U.S. they need to start a team and race supercross and outdoor IMO.
ML512 wrote:
They'd have to bring in the necessary 500 units of their 250F first to even pass homologation.
By any chance do you know how many 250s they bring in a year?

Post a reply to: TM’s in the USA

The Latest