TM motorcycles - esp. MX 300

Related:
Create New Tag

12/21/2017 7:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 7:18 AM

Looking for some input on the TM bikes.
If you ever put a few hours on them or test rode one of the italian machines/buddy has one - please write about it.
I'm looking at 2017 TM 300MX with 60 hours on it but never ever rode a TM, and I don't know much about them.
All I know is it looks awesome, it's in great shape and has KYB SSS/AOSS all around which should make for a decently suspended bike.

|

12/21/2017 7:20 AM

Photo

|

12/21/2017 7:39 AM

Never rode a newer one, rode them back in 99-03 model years. Fast bikes. The 125s were rippers , 250 was a weapon also.

Brakes, clutch, suspension all was excellent. Handles great. Fit n finish was unreal. Billet everywhere, really High end and well thought out / built bikes. I'd get another for sure

|

12/21/2017 8:07 AM

I thought about getting one a few years ago. It was a pain to find simple wear items like sprockets, brakes, levers etc. as the aftermarket is basically non existent for them. But, that could have changed by now.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/21/2017 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 6:19 PM

As long as you have access to the parts, which are more readily available (stock and aftermarket) now, they are great bikes. I have a 250 2t. Almost wish I got the 300, heard great things about it. My bike has a verrrry strong engine, almost hits too hard. Brakes are great, wheels are great. You can pretty much pick a bar bend you like, and that's all you really need on it. You can do flywheel weights as well. The only drawback potentially is resale, but that might depend on your area. If you have any questions feel free to message me or ask here.

|

12/21/2017 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 7:53 PM

A mate has the 16 MX 300. It's a fuckin weapon laughing
Suspension wasn't setup when I rode it, plus he's half my weight anyway. But the engine is a BEAST! The only complaint anyone has made is "too much power".

|

12/21/2017 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2017 8:06 PM

The handling is pretty neutral. I do remember thinking they felt little a loose at speed, but otherwise felt really capable. The bikes turn way better than I thought they we're going to.

I've ridden both the 250 and the 300 aluminum frame bikes. Very similar in power delivery to KTM's 250 and 300, where the 250 is snappy and responsive, and the 300 runs out of lung real fast, but pulls like a tractor from the basement up.

There is absolutely no lack of power with these machines. The 250 is right there with my TX 300 in which I went to great lengths to move the power up the rev range, including taper bored carb, less compression, SX ignition, altere squish, and altered port timing (something I've been doing to KTM 300's for years because I like a free-revving, MX-type power delivery vs the original low/midrange of the stocker.) I would wager my 300 is making a massive 53-55 hp and this 250 doesn't give up much to it. It's in full beast mode!

I enjoyed the little time I had on these TM's. They are fun to look at as well. You'd do real well to have one of these in your garage. I can't attest to the overall quality or longevity, but the individual parts themselves are some of the nicest to ever grace a dirtbike. They're just cool.

I wouldn't trade my Husky for one, it's a more composed overall package with excellent ergos, but if you want something different (and something to stare at in you garage) I say go for it. I would get the 250 personally, just because it's a more moto oriented power delivery. Frankly though, thats because I havn't figured out how to short shift in 30 years of riding...I just keep trying to ring it out. You may be different.

|

12/21/2017 9:22 PM

BobPA wrote:

I thought about getting one a few years ago. It was a pain to find simple wear items like sprockets, brakes, levers etc. as the aftermarket is basically non existent for them. But, that could have changed by now.

Aren't they just aftermarket items to start? i.e x company aftermarket hubs means you can run w/e sprocket you want. It probably comes with aftermarket perches? So that companies levers would work.

Last time I pieced one together on their website, which is cool as hell, that's how I remember it.

|

12/22/2017 2:33 PM

I’ve posted this probably before but just in case...
I looked into TM here in the US and found out really quick the current importer is a serious rider and extremely passionate about the brand. He can get you basically any part within a few business days.
I know that PC now has exhaust for the mx bikes. I don’t see a issue except maybe selling it down the road.

Ghost

|



12/22/2017 2:47 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses gents!!! You didn't help though, it would make my life easier if you said they are piles... tongue
I don't think parts availability should be an issue. Standard stuff such as pistons/bearings/gaskets are available at my local shop, the TM dealer should be able to get all the other parts within 3 working days.
I got an offer to buy a 2017 MX 300 with 60 hours on it for approx 3900 and another one for MX 125 2015, mint condition for 2650 and I seriously can't sleep at night grin
Damn they would look good together in my garage, with RM in between...

|

12/22/2017 3:08 PM



We have run them for the last 3 seasons in europe , had one head O Ring go , and seized once through just being a tad lean on a very fast track,bike is a well sorted peice of kit, lovely to ride. We have had a 14 , and 2 16's

I have a 2012 300MX that i use for local MX too , it had a hard life before me, i have changed the gearbox oil twice , and done the airfilter .. had it 3 years , just occasional use.

If you want some thing different, its the way to go, but you wont find much in the way of bolt ons because its all good already.. Pro Circuit do pipes, we have had good results with them, its a ride it and maintain it bike.

Photo

|

12/22/2017 3:31 PM

philG wrote:

We have run them for the last 3 seasons in europe , had one head O Ring go , and seized once through just being a tad lean on a very fast track,bike is a well sorted peice of kit, lovely to ride. We have had a 14 , and 2 16's

I have a 2012 300MX that i use for local MX too , it had a hard life before me, i have changed the gearbox oil twice , and done the airfilter .. had it 3 years , just occasional use.

If you want some thing different, its the way to go, but you wont find much in the way of bolt ons because its all good already.. Pro Circuit do pipes, we have had good results with them, its a ride it and maintain it bike.

Photo

Are you up against 450 4 strokes ?

|

12/22/2017 3:42 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Are you up against 450 4 strokes ?

Yes, we are, and im not a small guy. It has a well sorted motor, VHM Head, modded piston and reed cage, Pro Circuit pipe, Running in our Vets class, which has some decent riders and kit, its fast enough . It will run with a decent spec 450, on the asphalt and kill it in the off road. We are putting a decent young guy on it for 2018, i am the limiting factor now.

|

12/22/2017 5:33 PM

Turbojez wrote:

Wow, thanks for all the responses gents!!! You didn't help though, it would make my life easier if you said they are piles... tongue
I don't think parts availability should be an issue. Standard stuff such as pistons/bearings/gaskets are available at my local shop, the TM dealer should be able to get all the other parts within 3 working days.
I got an offer to buy a 2017 MX 300 with 60 hours on it for approx 3900 and another one for MX 125 2015, mint condition for 2650 and I seriously can't sleep at night grin
Damn they would look good together in my garage, with RM in between...

At those prices I'd be throwing down on both

|

12/23/2017 1:44 PM

Turbojez wrote: Photo

I read somewhere, that TMs are truly factory machines and the price at which factory produces is higher then the sales price. Anyway 300 was for me too much. Only thing i see here in Europe is faster price fall.

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100