TM at Loretta's

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/4/2017 1:53pm
wpark89 wrote:
Awesome to see something different at the front of the pack. Tm's have always been so trick and good looking. Someday I will have a 144...
Awesome to see something different at the front of the pack. Tm's have always been so trick and good looking. Someday I will have a 144.

I believe MXA had something to do with sneaking one into a National in the mid 90s at Glen Helen. Tech just thought it was a KTM.

I don't expect them to ever have the money for a major team in the US but it would be awesome to see a solid Amateur effort. Mx needs 2 strokes and there's a need for more than just orange or white Austrian bikes.

What surprises me the most isn't that the TM is so competitive....but that there's a kid capable of winning who hasn't been wrapped up by Team Green or The Orange brigade yet... unfortunately I would not expect any kid that podiums this year to be on a TM next year. But hopefully their presence can continue to grow and we'll see more blue Italian bikes at the races.
It's not a monetary issue. I can assure you that. TM is fine in that regard. TM also doesn't need a "sugar-daddy" either lol You'll see...
It's not a monetary issue. I can assure you that. TM is fine in that regard. TM also doesn't need a "sugar-daddy" either lol

You'll see more on the professional side of things in the next couple years.
If that's truly the case then it's about damn time they start making moves in the US market.

One more manufacturer is a good thing. More rides available is good for the sport. How long will it take for them to get some talent on their team, that's the question.

Throwing a bunch of money at riders in the hopes that they will ride your brand doesn't always work especially when riders want to contend for podiums and wins. They want something that's proven and at the moment TM is not. Bright side is look at KTM no one wanted to ride them and now you seem them everywhere.

Hopefully they can get a couple good mid pack/top 15 riders to start and build from there.

Oh and I vote Steinke for a 125 ride!
mauidex
8/4/2017 6:22pm
It's not a monetary issue. I can assure you that. TM is fine in that regard. TM also doesn't need a "sugar-daddy" either lol You'll see...
It's not a monetary issue. I can assure you that. TM is fine in that regard. TM also doesn't need a "sugar-daddy" either lol

TM will NEVER accomplish shit in the US market, and especially at any type of PRO level............stamp it!!CoolCool
endurox
8/4/2017 6:33pm
mauidex wrote:
SECTION 1.2 MOTOCROSS EQUIPMENT Special Note: The American Motorcyclist Association doesn't inspect vehicles in AMA-sanctioned competition. Participants are solely responsible for the condition of their vehicles...
SECTION 1.2 MOTOCROSS EQUIPMENT
Special Note: The American Motorcyclist Association doesn't inspect vehicles in AMA-sanctioned competition. Participants are solely responsible for the condition of their vehicles and their competence to operate them.
A. Approval of Motorcycles/Minicycles
1. Next year model machines are not eligible in any class at the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championships.
2. 0-112cc 2-stroke/150cc 4-stroke Limited Class
a. To be approved for AMA-sanctioned competition, minicycles (engines and frames) must be available through retail distributors.
b. For a minicycle to be homologated, the manufacturer must apply to the AMA, register the machine's specifications, provide photographs, OEM parts list, provide 10 identical machines of the same year and model for AMA Inspection and an additional 65 identical machines of the same year and model are manufactured and available for sale to the general public through a distributor network by April 15th of the current model year.
c. Manufacturers and distributors must have a sufficient quantity of spare parts to meet customer demand for a minimum of the current model year being approved.
d. Superseded or redesigned parts must be submitted to AMA Racing for review and approval before their use in competition. These parts must be listed in the current OEM parts list supplied to AMA Racing.
e. The AMA may require one unit of each approved model and/or superseded or redesigned part(s) to be provided for long-term parts comparison.
f. Only after the homologation paperwork has been verified and approved by AMA Racing will the minicycle be added to the approved for AMA competition list.
g. Homologation will last until such time as the motorcycle no longer conforms to the current limited class rules.
h. Homologation is required each year for new models even if that model hasn't changed from the previous year homologation.
i. AMA Racing will provide a list of homologated minicycles. This list may be updated at any time.
j. If at any time it is discovered that the manufacturer hasn't met the requirements or falsified any information during the homologation process, the manufacturer may be fined up to $10,000 and may
be placed on probation or suspension from AMA competition for up to five years.
k. Minicycles will be approved at the sole discretion of AMA Racing.
3. 113cc 2-stroke/151 4-stroke and up Limited Class
a. To be approved for AMA-sanctioned competition, motorcycles (engines and frames) must be available through retail distributors.
b. A new manufacturer may be required to complete an approval application on initial request for approval for a new model or any time the AMA deems necessary.
c. Motorcycles will be approved at the sole discretion of AMA Racing.
B. Limited Class Equipment Standards
1. To be eligible for a LIMITED CLASS, the following ARE NOT PERMITTED to be changed or modified:
Air Box
Air Box Vent Tube
Air Filter Screen
Air Intake Boot
Axle
Brake Rotor Size (thickness/diameter)
Brake Master Cylinder
Carburetor (including any parts with exception to jets) Clutch (any part including clutch cover) 2
Crankshaft Stroke Length
Cylinder Bore Size 1
EFI Throttle Body 5
Electronics 5
Exhaust Control Valve (ECV)
Exhaust Pipe (any part)
Frame 3
Front Forks 4
Front Fork Caps
Intake Spacer
Internal Engine Components (blue printing is not allowed) 2 Lower Triple Clamp
Oil Injection System (only oil may be in system) 6
Rear Shock 4
Reed Valve Assembly (any part)
Rim Size
Silencer (tip may be modified to accept spark arrestor) Subframe 3
Swingarm 3
Transmission (any internal part)
Yamaha PW50 Start/Run/Off Switch
Water Pump Assembly (any part except the cover) Wheel Hubs
MOTOCROSS 1.2
2. To be eligible for the LIMITED CLASS, the following ARE NOT PERMITTED to be added:
Adjustable Leak Jet
Bark Busters (closed end or wrap-around metal hand guards) Fork Brace
Radiator Fan
3. The following notes are exceptions to the items listed above:
a. 1 Cylinder re-plating is allowed by the original manufacturer’s bore must be retained.
b. 2 Clutch plates, pistons, and piston rings may be aftermarket as long as they maintain the stock shape, design, and material of the OEM parts. High compression pistons are not allowed.
c. 3 Material may be added to the production frame or swingarm for strength, including welding. These changes shall not affect frame geometry.
d. 4 OEM front and rear suspension can be altered with internal modifications only. Shock linkage and suspension spring rates may be changed to any commercially available part.
e. 5 Programming or mapping changes to the stock OEM ECU unit are permitted.
f. 6 To be eligible for limited classes that use oil- injection systems, the system must be fully functional and only oil may be put in the reservoir. Pre-mix gasoline is not allowed in the oil-injection system.
AMA needs to get with the times and help out the little manufactures not hinder them.

The Shop

Johnny Depp
8/4/2017 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 8:10pm
Several of the euro enduro manufacturer's have bikes the can run with the best of them, even if they have headlights.
Not all make mini's. Beta, Sherco and TM all have very modern capable machinery and don't import enough volume to ever enter the Pro ranks, nor care to spend the cubic dollars to compete at that level.

To sell 400 bikes to a market that they have never directly been in, is a fantasy.
JWACK
8/4/2017 8:14pm
wpark89 wrote:
Awesome to see something different at the front of the pack. Tm's have always been so trick and good looking. Someday I will have a 144...
Awesome to see something different at the front of the pack. Tm's have always been so trick and good looking. Someday I will have a 144.

I believe MXA had something to do with sneaking one into a National in the mid 90s at Glen Helen. Tech just thought it was a KTM.

I don't expect them to ever have the money for a major team in the US but it would be awesome to see a solid Amateur effort. Mx needs 2 strokes and there's a need for more than just orange or white Austrian bikes.

What surprises me the most isn't that the TM is so competitive....but that there's a kid capable of winning who hasn't been wrapped up by Team Green or The Orange brigade yet... unfortunately I would not expect any kid that podiums this year to be on a TM next year. But hopefully their presence can continue to grow and we'll see more blue Italian bikes at the races.

Any updates to the 18 smokers?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/4/2017 8:27pm
Several of the euro enduro manufacturer's have bikes the can run with the best of them, even if they have headlights. Not all make mini's. Beta...
Several of the euro enduro manufacturer's have bikes the can run with the best of them, even if they have headlights.
Not all make mini's. Beta, Sherco and TM all have very modern capable machinery and don't import enough volume to ever enter the Pro ranks, nor care to spend the cubic dollars to compete at that level.

To sell 400 bikes to a market that they have never directly been in, is a fantasy.
Since the topic is amateur racing, 75 units seems doable. To that, the am market has much bigger sales potential. So, if they ever want to get into the pro market, the amateur market would be a good place to start. If.
andymoto
8/4/2017 8:31pm
Tanel Leok raced a TM450 for a few seasons in MXGP some yrs back. Hope Ty Masterpool takes the O/A on his.
ti473
8/5/2017 5:55am
Back in the day, and I'm taking '96, I was tight with a guy that owned one of the largest TM distributors in Italy (and you would not be impressed with the size of his shop). He was tight with the TM guys in Pesaro, and told me that their business model was keep things small and had no interest expanding passed a certain point. That was back then of course, but maaaybe (no pun intended here) they have a real passion for building cool bikes and their main goal is not just making billions of euros. Maybe they like to stay small so they can still shut down the factory from 12 to 3 pm for lunch everyday (ok don't take that literally, but that's what Italians do in general)
8/5/2017 7:18am
andymoto wrote:
Tanel Leok raced a TM450 for a few seasons in MXGP some yrs back. Hope Ty Masterpool takes the O/A on his.
He won both of the Supermini classes on it!
8/5/2017 8:02am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2017 8:06am
wpark89 wrote:

JWACK wrote:
Any updates to the 18 smokers?
All new revised frame. The 85/100 will have a new power pant. The good thing about TM is we are required to solely produce a bike every August with changes.. we can introduce a model mid year if we want. Stay tuned for the changes you're looking for Wink
8/5/2017 8:04am

mauidex wrote:
TM will NEVER accomplish shit in the US market, and especially at any type of PRO level............stamp it!!CoolCool
Why would we sacrifice the quality of the product we are producing to just crank up the volume of bikes we produce? Proven model, proven track record...

There's a reason we make 2,000 a year. When the time comes to expand, Tm will make that decision. Until then keep Vital-ing Smile
mauidex
8/5/2017 8:43am
Why would we sacrifice the quality of the product we are producing to just crank up the volume of bikes we produce? Proven model, proven track...
Why would we sacrifice the quality of the product we are producing to just crank up the volume of bikes we produce? Proven model, proven track record...

There's a reason we make 2,000 a year. When the time comes to expand, Tm will make that decision. Until then keep Vital-ing Smile
"It's not a monetary issue. I can assure you that. TM is fine in that regard. TM also doesn't need a "sugar-daddy" either lol

You'll see more on the professional side of things in the next couple years."

Just pick which one you believe to be correct!!!! Either keep being a boutique, almost hobby MFG, or get in the game. Great bikes but not competitive, from a business standpoint, in the US.WhistlingWhistling
Johnny Depp
8/5/2017 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2017 12:27pm
Don't focus any anger on the manufacturer who wants to do his own thing. Anger belongs focused on the racing organizations that perpetuate a system of have's and have not's based on "stakeholder's" which means money.

The promoter that develops a system not built around "protected classes" but pairs riders of equal skill together will rule the "roost" and kill off the traditional class systems. To a large degree it already has happened in off road competition, where more seat time and better turnouts are slowly siphoning off the MX world.

When it doesn't matter what size or brand bike you ride , the TM's and Alta's of the world will prosper.

Post a reply to: TM at Loretta's

The Latest