TLD knee braces vs. Mobious???

kuelprit 7
Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 8:43pm
I was looking to get a new set of knee braces, any thoughts?
|
jaredkeller96
12/1/2015 10:00pm
I have been testing out the mobius X8 brace for a good month now. Really great brace. I should have the review posted soon at dirtbiketest.com if i can find some time here lately
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
12/2/2015 4:37am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2015 4:41am
Asterisk.

http://asterisk-2.myshopify.com/

The Cell™ Knee Protection System is built on more than 10+ years of time-tested and proven designs. Several patented revolutionary design concepts come together in unison to create this System: the A.R.C. Cuff has the ability to be totally adjustable for fit, yet remain rigid; simple, low profile strapping features a single finger release; a natural free-motion, rolling-gliding hinge follows the natural movement of the knee; carbon fiber matrix, tibial plateau-capturing frame design provides strong, yet lightweight protection: brace-to-boot tether attachment helps prevent lower leg rotation; plus the full-time, full-coverage patella cup offers superior coverage. This Knee Protection System is truly decades ahead of all the rest. Undersleeves and Tethers are included.

wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
12/2/2015 5:01am
I've had the möbius since early spring and they have been great so far. They are pretty comfortable compared to my old Evs braces. Getting them adjusted just right my first few times was different but after a few rides I got it down pat.
I've had a few moments where I woulda bet the farm that I broke them from starting to lose the rear ended in a turn and planting my foot wrong. I was a little sore but nothing broke. They are good by me.
12/2/2015 6:13am
I have TLD. They're well-made and sturdy, but they are bulky and will tear the graphics off the side of your bike if you dont wear the Asterisk under pant things made by Virus. Actually, I would reccommend the Asterisk/Virus pants to everyone who rides MX and wears knee braces.

The Shop

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2903rd
12/2/2015 6:23am
Regis wrote:
Asterisk. http://asterisk-2.myshopify.com/ The Cell™ Knee Protection System is built on more than 10+ years of time-tested and proven designs. Several patented revolutionary design concepts come together...
Asterisk.

http://asterisk-2.myshopify.com/

The Cell™ Knee Protection System is built on more than 10+ years of time-tested and proven designs. Several patented revolutionary design concepts come together in unison to create this System: the A.R.C. Cuff has the ability to be totally adjustable for fit, yet remain rigid; simple, low profile strapping features a single finger release; a natural free-motion, rolling-gliding hinge follows the natural movement of the knee; carbon fiber matrix, tibial plateau-capturing frame design provides strong, yet lightweight protection: brace-to-boot tether attachment helps prevent lower leg rotation; plus the full-time, full-coverage patella cup offers superior coverage. This Knee Protection System is truly decades ahead of all the rest. Undersleeves and Tethers are included.

I agree with this, same as why i'd always chose the likes of Arai, Bell or Shoei over a 6D, whilst i'm sure they are good designes and innovative ideas you can't do better than a company whos had a couple of centurys of research and development behind them. That's my oppinion anyway
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/2/2015 8:06am
Both are good. I had TLD braces for the last 3 years. Held up great, knee cup is comfortable but could use extra coverage.

Just switched to the Mobius braces. Very thin and low profile. Provide 100% coverage. I like the fact that I can tighten or release the main brace support through your pants. The material the pads are made of on the straps grip unreal.

My only complaint is I get a pinch on the X strap on the back of my knee. This might just need to add a thicker pad, which they do come with different pad options for fit and different extension.
12/2/2015 8:44am
Never used the Mobius but I have had TLDs for 5 years and I love them.
12/7/2015 7:54pm
I want to try something besides asterisk. I have the ultra cells. Been running them for almost a year. I have to admit. The are not that comfortable.
lumpy790
12/8/2015 7:24am
I want to try something besides asterisk. I have the ultra cells. Been running them for almost a year. I have to admit. The are not...
I want to try something besides asterisk. I have the ultra cells. Been running them for almost a year. I have to admit. The are not that comfortable.
I need a set of knee braces so I am glad to find these opinions.

With all the adjustments the Asterisk braces have why are the uncomfortable to you?
12/8/2015 8:42am
I have the TLD braces, they are great. Very comfortable. Don't know why maybe its my anatomy but on the left leg every brace but TLD digs in. Maybe I have too much arch in the leg, I am flat footed? Anyways, TLD braces are very comfortable, never move and very confidence inspiring out on the track. Never tried the Mobus, but glad I have the TLD.
Motofinne
12/8/2015 9:24am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 10:15am
I want to try something besides asterisk. I have the ultra cells. Been running them for almost a year. I have to admit. The are not...
lumpy790 wrote:
I need a set of knee braces so I am glad to find these opinions. With all the adjustments the Asterisk braces have why are the...

With all the adjustments the Asterisk braces have why are the uncomfortable to you?
I have the ultra cells also and the only complaint i have is that they are heavy and bulky. A bit like the original EVS WEB, at the time it was great but with the days standards a bit too heavy and bulky. Other than that, great braces!

Preston412
12/8/2015 10:09am
lumpy790 wrote:
I need a set of knee braces so I am glad to find these opinions. With all the adjustments the Asterisk braces have why are the...

To me, it is the hinges on the inside and it destroys pants and seats. I will be looking into replacing mine with a different brand. Mobius is out for me, I hear too many compliants about the pants getting caught between knee cup and lower brace and not allowing you to fully stand up.
So, I am going to look into the new EVS and Leatt braces
Jaybird67k
12/8/2015 12:12pm
I have been wearing the K700 Pods for a few years now. Can't tell you have them on at just over 500 grams a piece but I have been looking hard at the Mobius.

Jason
Drail24
12/8/2015 6:47pm
I will be upgrading to a new set of braces soon, so I have spent the last few weeks reviewing some of the different options. I have been in the original Asterisks cells for the last several years. They have been through a couple of refurbs, but have served me well. However, I agree with Motofinne's summation of the cell's in general. I had ACL surgery years ago, and as a result that particular knee is a little larger and is sensitive to having too much pressure against the inside of the knee (due to the way the ligaments move). Having said that, here is what I have gathered so far from trying on some various braces:

Mobius X8 - I really like this brace. Nice fit and finish. I like the strap system. But... It is only offered in one Knee width dimension. The upper and lower portions vary between sizes, but the knee opening is the same. Unfortunately, it is too narrow for my reconstructed knee. I spoke with customer support and they were extremely knowledgeable and helpful in trying to resolve the issue, but we were limited by that one aspect. The brace fit my other leg fine. I have talked with others that wear a sleeve over the brace to keep loose articles from inside their pants catching and binding in the braces. I could see them being hot in the summer. Overall, I like what I see from the brace and the company and would probably be in these if not for my odd knee issue.

Alpinestar Fluid Pro - Not at all what I was expecting. Very similar in design to the Pod's, but not what I consider a true brace. The materials and hinge assembly are very flexible and I just didn't feel like it had the strength and impact protection I have grown used to. They were comfortable, but felt more like a hybrid between a brace and knee guard.

Leatt C-frame - I like this brace as well. The ones I tried on were L/XL, whereas I actually need the S/M. Despite being a little big, I thought they were comfortable and seemed to work well. I was concerned about these not having the same "support" feel as the traditional dual framed braces, but they felt pretty good support wise. Motion was smooth and fluid. I did not spend a lot of time trying to adjust and fit them, as I knew they were not my size. I am trying to get a correct size pair to try on. These are on my short list as my next brace.

Pod K300 - These have a good reputation and rightly so, from what I can see so far. The frame design is similar to the asterisk (a good thing in my book) , but cleaner and more form fitting. They are much less bulky. The fluid motion hinge system works well. The padding is comfortable and the open design of the brace and the strap system seems to ventilate well. I am not sold on the patella cup design, but can't really judge having not ridden in them. They are offered in individual sizes for each leg, so that works well in my case. I need to go up one size on my reconstructed knee to gain a little more clearance there, so I am waiting on the new size to arrive before making a final judgement for my personal preference.

It will probably be the Pod's or Leatt's for me.

Bruce372
12/8/2015 7:11pm
I really like my pod 300 after coming off the red asterisk cells.

However, the straps on the pods aren't long enough and the velcro came away from them also.
j368
12/8/2015 7:36pm
Drail24 wrote:
I will be upgrading to a new set of braces soon, so I have spent the last few weeks reviewing some of the different options. I...
I will be upgrading to a new set of braces soon, so I have spent the last few weeks reviewing some of the different options. I have been in the original Asterisks cells for the last several years. They have been through a couple of refurbs, but have served me well. However, I agree with Motofinne's summation of the cell's in general. I had ACL surgery years ago, and as a result that particular knee is a little larger and is sensitive to having too much pressure against the inside of the knee (due to the way the ligaments move). Having said that, here is what I have gathered so far from trying on some various braces:

Mobius X8 - I really like this brace. Nice fit and finish. I like the strap system. But... It is only offered in one Knee width dimension. The upper and lower portions vary between sizes, but the knee opening is the same. Unfortunately, it is too narrow for my reconstructed knee. I spoke with customer support and they were extremely knowledgeable and helpful in trying to resolve the issue, but we were limited by that one aspect. The brace fit my other leg fine. I have talked with others that wear a sleeve over the brace to keep loose articles from inside their pants catching and binding in the braces. I could see them being hot in the summer. Overall, I like what I see from the brace and the company and would probably be in these if not for my odd knee issue.

Alpinestar Fluid Pro - Not at all what I was expecting. Very similar in design to the Pod's, but not what I consider a true brace. The materials and hinge assembly are very flexible and I just didn't feel like it had the strength and impact protection I have grown used to. They were comfortable, but felt more like a hybrid between a brace and knee guard.

Leatt C-frame - I like this brace as well. The ones I tried on were L/XL, whereas I actually need the S/M. Despite being a little big, I thought they were comfortable and seemed to work well. I was concerned about these not having the same "support" feel as the traditional dual framed braces, but they felt pretty good support wise. Motion was smooth and fluid. I did not spend a lot of time trying to adjust and fit them, as I knew they were not my size. I am trying to get a correct size pair to try on. These are on my short list as my next brace.

Pod K300 - These have a good reputation and rightly so, from what I can see so far. The frame design is similar to the asterisk (a good thing in my book) , but cleaner and more form fitting. They are much less bulky. The fluid motion hinge system works well. The padding is comfortable and the open design of the brace and the strap system seems to ventilate well. I am not sold on the patella cup design, but can't really judge having not ridden in them. They are offered in individual sizes for each leg, so that works well in my case. I need to go up one size on my reconstructed knee to gain a little more clearance there, so I am waiting on the new size to arrive before making a final judgement for my personal preference.

It will probably be the Pod's or Leatt's for me.

You forgot about these. Some of the best.

http://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/products/knee
loftyair
12/8/2015 8:43pm
Tld- good, but not for a second time around. Too much of a big gap right above knee for any protection. Now using evs, like them much better

Post a reply to: TLD knee braces vs. Mobious???

The Latest