TLD helmet fitment question

MotoCoUSA
I’m looking at scooping up one of the TLD carbon helmets just wondering how the fitment is compared to others. I have a fly formula M and it fits great. Fox helmets never fit me right and the 6d helmets are just too bulky and didn’t work either. Thanks for any helpful insight.
|
mvd61
10/15/2021 5:13pm
I’ve got a the carbon in a medium. Fresh liner and cheek pads it fits a tad snug but when full of sweat it’s perfect. A shoei medium sweat soaked is a little loose and the 6d atr 1 is real loose for me. I wish the TLD lid wasn’t made in china.
MotoCoUSA
10/15/2021 5:24pm
mvd61 wrote:
I’ve got a the carbon in a medium. Fresh liner and cheek pads it fits a tad snug but when full of sweat it’s perfect. A...
I’ve got a the carbon in a medium. Fresh liner and cheek pads it fits a tad snug but when full of sweat it’s perfect. A shoei medium sweat soaked is a little loose and the 6d atr 1 is real loose for me. I wish the TLD lid wasn’t made in china.
Thanks for the feedback.
michriddle109
10/15/2021 6:01pm
I wear large in shoei vfxw and evo, Xl in bell moto9 TLD se4 and astars sm8 if this helps you.
10/15/2021 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2021 6:09pm
TLD and 6D (along with Fly, Bell, Fox, and others) are all made in the same factory in China by Topkey Composites.

The Shop

MKMX
10/15/2021 6:12pm
I’ve had a lot of difficulty with helmet sizing as I’m smack bang in the middle of a L and XL in most brands. A TLD SE4 shell in large is only just too small/tight with the thinnest cheek pads and liner, and an XL with the thickest is just too loose.

Bell Moto 9’s are a similar fit as is the Arai (for my head shape). The 6D’s fit really will in a Large.
MotoCoUSA
10/15/2021 6:24pm
TLD and 6D (along with Fly, Bell, Fox, and others) are all made in the same factory in China by Topkey Composites.
I wouldn’t have a clue about that, but I can 100% say they don’t fit the same.
RF145
10/15/2021 6:36pm
I have used a Fox V3, size XL. Most comfortable helmet for me ever. Previously I used a Shoei, size Large, very comfortable, not quite as comfortable as the Fox, but still nice.
I received my TLD Carbon yesterday in size large. Very tight, not comfortable, but light and worth trying. The XL was too big. My head floated in that size.
I am trying the helmet tomorrow. I will update my findings.
TeamGreen
10/15/2021 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2021 6:44pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
You nailed it.

I wore the 1st gen Fly Formula in an M and I wear a TLD in M. They both fit well.
I recently got an AGV street helmet in an M: it also fit really well...REALY comfortable & super-quiet!
I've worn the A-Star helmets in a couple of tests/media events and they fit nicely, too.
All -perfectly snug- without any "hard spots".

I hope this info helps.

Good luck!
MotoCoUSA
10/15/2021 6:38pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
You nailed it. I wore the 1st gen Fly Formula in an M and I wear a TLD in M. They both fit well. I recently...
You nailed it.

I wore the 1st gen Fly Formula in an M and I wear a TLD in M. They both fit well.
I recently got an AGV street helmet in an M: it also fit really well...REALY comfortable & super-quiet!
I've worn the A-Star helmets in a couple of tests/media events and they fit nicely, too.
All -perfectly snug- without any "hard spots".

I hope this info helps.

Good luck!
Thanks man
Zeke27G
10/15/2021 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2021 6:41pm
XL in both TLD and 6D.
10/15/2021 6:55pm
MotoCoUSA wrote:
I get it. Topkey makes the helmets to the specs of the company that orders them. Someone earlier said they didn’t want TLD helmets because they are made in China. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of MX helmets are made in the same factory in China.
Yzf916
10/15/2021 7:08pm
Wear a large in Fox V3. Recently bought a TLD SE4 in large. Was a little loose. So ordered the thicker cheek pads from the medium I think. Fits perfect now. Goggle port a little smaller though. Have to position goggles more accurately in the TLD. Overall, both great helmets though.
rohleder644
10/15/2021 8:48pm
I’m pretty much a medium all across the board. The medium TLD felt horrible. I couldn’t wear it for more than a minute. Sat on top of my head rather than surrounding it. And created a ridiculous pinch point on my forehead. The large was surprisingly snug through the crown of my skull, if not slightly loose on the cheeks. I put the medium cheek pads in it and this thing feels like it was tailor made for me. It’s got a similar feel to a mountain bike helmet after you ratchet the strap snug. I didn’t do extensive research, so I can’t really speak to the safety features. But I guarantee I’ve never had a helmet that fit my head better than this one, and I have to think that plays a giant role in its ability to protect my grey matter.
mxracer828
10/15/2021 10:47pm
I had a fly large in the f2 and it was snug with the cheek pads,had a large fox and it seemed to fit me good. I have the se4 carbon in a large and it feels good even when it’s soaked with sweat. The top padding area felt alittle weird at first but you get used to it. In a bell I was a xl. My head is more like a jelly bean lol
hollifield
10/16/2021 3:40am
Good topic! I have a TLD SE4 Carbon. When new it fit really well. However, after a few rides it now slides down in front and I'm having to push it up while riding. I bought one of those sweat beanie's made by EVS, like Barcia wears under his helmet, and it helps a little but the TLD still slides down in the front. I've got a buddy that has the same issue with his TLD helmet. We have both always worn a Medium size helmet.

Any advice on this? Very annoying...
Richy
10/16/2021 4:39am
Get a new helmet... Could do yourself a mischief trying to bandaid fix that. Sounds like maybe it was too big to start with, a helmet that fits right, only speaking for myself, is usually a very slight annoyance when brand new and then settles into being good a few rides in.
Indy mxer
10/16/2021 5:02am
I've been wearing TLD Carbons for a few years now. I'm a medium. They're a bit tight for me at first but after a few rides it fits fine.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/16/2021 8:20am
I went out on a limb and got an iphone 12 last year. Nice phone; great features. Functionally, it's a piece if crap and I hate it beyond belief. I feel that way about my SE4 Carbon, too. Sad
I'm going to give it to my son, get another Arai, and never look back.
gt80rider
10/16/2021 10:20am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2021 10:22am
Se4 carbon for me..... I typically wear either an xl or xxl in various brands.... in the se4 carbon I wear an xl.... love the fit and feel.... but hope they quit having them made in china.... oh ya... I'm more of a round head, not oval....
RF145
10/16/2021 4:33pm
RF145 wrote:
I have used a Fox V3, size XL. Most comfortable helmet for me ever. Previously I used a Shoei, size Large, very comfortable, not quite as...
I have used a Fox V3, size XL. Most comfortable helmet for me ever. Previously I used a Shoei, size Large, very comfortable, not quite as comfortable as the Fox, but still nice.
I received my TLD Carbon yesterday in size large. Very tight, not comfortable, but light and worth trying. The XL was too big. My head floated in that size.
I am trying the helmet tomorrow. I will update my findings.
I rode today for 1.5 hours. For the first 15 minutes I thought I bought a huge POS. Pulled off the helmet and the liner shifted and the yellow plastic liner was cutting into my forehead.
Reset the liner and I could not be happier. The lightness is extremely noticeable. The helmet is comfortable (now) and I would buy another in a heartbeat.
I am glad I did not try it on in a store, it took very little effort to correct the only issue I had and as stated above, I am very happy.

Post a reply to: TLD helmet fitment question

The Latest