TLD helmet fitment question

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2021 4:44 PM

I’m looking at scooping up one of the TLD carbon helmets just wondering how the fitment is compared to others. I have a fly formula M and it fits great. Fox helmets never fit me right and the 6d helmets are just too bulky and didn’t work either. Thanks for any helpful insight.

|

10/15/2021 5:13 PM

I’ve got a the carbon in a medium. Fresh liner and cheek pads it fits a tad snug but when full of sweat it’s perfect. A shoei medium sweat soaked is a little loose and the 6d atr 1 is real loose for me. I wish the TLD lid wasn’t made in china.

|

10/15/2021 5:24 PM

mvd61 wrote:

I’ve got a the carbon in a medium. Fresh liner and cheek pads it fits a tad snug but when full of sweat it’s perfect. A shoei ...more

Thanks for the feedback.

|

10/15/2021 6:01 PM

I wear large in shoei vfxw and evo, Xl in bell moto9 TLD se4 and astars sm8 if this helps you.

|

10/15/2021 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2021 6:09 PM

TLD and 6D (along with Fly, Bell, Fox, and others) are all made in the same factory in China by Topkey Composites.

|

10/15/2021 6:12 PM

I’ve had a lot of difficulty with helmet sizing as I’m smack bang in the middle of a L and XL in most brands. A TLD SE4 shell in large is only just too small/tight with the thinnest cheek pads and liner, and an XL with the thickest is just too loose.

Bell Moto 9’s are a similar fit as is the Arai (for my head shape). The 6D’s fit really will in a Large.

|

10/15/2021 6:24 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

TLD and 6D (along with Fly, Bell, Fox, and others) are all made in the same factory in China by Topkey Composites.

I wouldn’t have a clue about that, but I can 100% say they don’t fit the same.

|

10/15/2021 6:36 PM

I have used a Fox V3, size XL. Most comfortable helmet for me ever. Previously I used a Shoei, size Large, very comfortable, not quite as comfortable as the Fox, but still nice.
I received my TLD Carbon yesterday in size large. Very tight, not comfortable, but light and worth trying. The XL was too big. My head floated in that size.
I am trying the helmet tomorrow. I will update my findings.

|

10/15/2021 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2021 6:44 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

You nailed it.

I wore the 1st gen Fly Formula in an M and I wear a TLD in M. They both fit well.
I recently got an AGV street helmet in an M: it also fit really well...REALY comfortable & super-quiet!
I've worn the A-Star helmets in a couple of tests/media events and they fit nicely, too.
All -perfectly snug- without any "hard spots".

I hope this info helps.

Good luck!

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

10/15/2021 6:38 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

You nailed it.

I wore the 1st gen Fly Formula in an M and I wear a TLD in M. They both fit well.
I recently got an AGV ...more

Thanks man

|

10/15/2021 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2021 6:41 PM

XL in both TLD and 6D.

|

Do It In The Dirt!

10/15/2021 6:55 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

MotoCoUSA wrote:

I get it. Topkey makes the helmets to the specs of the company that orders them. Someone earlier said they didn’t want TLD helmets because they are made in China. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of MX helmets are made in the same factory in China.

|

10/15/2021 7:08 PM

Wear a large in Fox V3. Recently bought a TLD SE4 in large. Was a little loose. So ordered the thicker cheek pads from the medium I think. Fits perfect now. Goggle port a little smaller though. Have to position goggles more accurately in the TLD. Overall, both great helmets though.

|

10/15/2021 8:48 PM

I’m pretty much a medium all across the board. The medium TLD felt horrible. I couldn’t wear it for more than a minute. Sat on top of my head rather than surrounding it. And created a ridiculous pinch point on my forehead. The large was surprisingly snug through the crown of my skull, if not slightly loose on the cheeks. I put the medium cheek pads in it and this thing feels like it was tailor made for me. It’s got a similar feel to a mountain bike helmet after you ratchet the strap snug. I didn’t do extensive research, so I can’t really speak to the safety features. But I guarantee I’ve never had a helmet that fit my head better than this one, and I have to think that plays a giant role in its ability to protect my grey matter.

|

10/15/2021 10:47 PM

I had a fly large in the f2 and it was snug with the cheek pads,had a large fox and it seemed to fit me good. I have the se4 carbon in a large and it feels good even when it’s soaked with sweat. The top padding area felt alittle weird at first but you get used to it. In a bell I was a xl. My head is more like a jelly bean lol

|

10/16/2021 3:40 AM

Good topic! I have a TLD SE4 Carbon. When new it fit really well. However, after a few rides it now slides down in front and I'm having to push it up while riding. I bought one of those sweat beanie's made by EVS, like Barcia wears under his helmet, and it helps a little but the TLD still slides down in the front. I've got a buddy that has the same issue with his TLD helmet. We have both always worn a Medium size helmet.

Any advice on this? Very annoying...

|

10/16/2021 4:39 AM

Get a new helmet... Could do yourself a mischief trying to bandaid fix that. Sounds like maybe it was too big to start with, a helmet that fits right, only speaking for myself, is usually a very slight annoyance when brand new and then settles into being good a few rides in.

|

10/16/2021 5:02 AM

I've been wearing TLD Carbons for a few years now. I'm a medium. They're a bit tight for me at first but after a few rides it fits fine.

|

10/16/2021 8:20 AM

I went out on a limb and got an iphone 12 last year. Nice phone; great features. Functionally, it's a piece if crap and I hate it beyond belief. I feel that way about my SE4 Carbon, too. sad
I'm going to give it to my son, get another Arai, and never look back.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/16/2021 10:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2021 10:22 AM

Se4 carbon for me..... I typically wear either an xl or xxl in various brands.... in the se4 carbon I wear an xl.... love the fit and feel.... but hope they quit having them made in china.... oh ya... I'm more of a round head, not oval....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

10/16/2021 4:33 PM

RF145 wrote:

I have used a Fox V3, size XL. Most comfortable helmet for me ever. Previously I used a Shoei, size Large, very comfortable, ...more

I rode today for 1.5 hours. For the first 15 minutes I thought I bought a huge POS. Pulled off the helmet and the liner shifted and the yellow plastic liner was cutting into my forehead.
Reset the liner and I could not be happier. The lightness is extremely noticeable. The helmet is comfortable (now) and I would buy another in a heartbeat.
I am glad I did not try it on in a store, it took very little effort to correct the only issue I had and as stated above, I am very happy.

|