THE MASSACRE At Red Bud. Why It Happened. How We Prevent It From Ever Happening Again,

Related:
Create New Tag

12/18/2018 1:37 PM

MXDN Red Bud 2018 – The Massacre

We, (the American Team) finished in sixth (6th) place and, the reason we finished in sixth place, was because- we weren’t properly PREPARED. We picked the right riders, they performed to the best of their abilities, yet, we failed to even make it onto the podium. The Motocross Des Nations has been held three (3) other times on American soil and the Americans have won on each of those occasions, in 1987, 2007 and 2010, respectively. It took forty (40) years to have our first American Des Nations event, now we have had three in the past eleven years and, it appears we are likely to be a more regular, less sporadic home, to this most prestigious event, accordingly, we need to be better prepared for the upcoming September event in Assen, The Netherlands, and, for any future Motocross Des Nations events. The last time the Americans won, was in 2011 and, we have had a total of 22 MXDN victories, though, of late, our performances have been less-than-satisfactory. While we had a string of podium finishes from 2012-2016, 2017 saw the Americans finish in a very disappointing ninth (9th) in England and, the most recent, unacceptable sixth (6th) place overall at RED BUD, Michigan, which is why we MUST pledge to not only reinvent the TEAM that we send to the Motocross Des Nations, we must change the culture, the process and the planning involved, keeping paramount the fact that the MXDN is, by far, the most important race date on everyone’s calendar. Every year.

Currently, the AMA is in charge of this program and, the “TEAM” is in desperate need of an overhaul, after all, somehow we’ve let the folks who took away our WORKS BIKES, removed the best-smelling race-fuels, put 450’s in the stadiums and, STILL won’t allow 250 Two-strokes to compete in the 250cc class, to run America’s Motocross Team ? It is not only preposterous, it’s unacceptable and un-American, and we can no longer permit things to operate in this incompetent manner.

TEAM AMERICA 2019.

1. New name, TEAM AMERICA. New Coaches, new staff, sweeping changes in the way the team is selected, trained and, the manner in which we execute on RACE DAY.
2. Getting the fans involved. We shall let the U.S Motocross fans, by poll, choose the initial six finalists, and eventually the final four honorees that have the distinct privilege of representing their country. ( 3 plus an additional rider ‘alternate”)
3. Do away with the Team Manager, replace with General Manager, Head Coach and Assistant Coaches. For 2019, assemble a mostly retired-military and former military, coaching staff, as well as various ex-Team USA riders as consultants and coaches.
4. Prepare the Team as if it was a military exercise, with precision, promptness, sense of urgency and, attention to detail. Yes, a military style operation.
5. The TEAM will practice and train together after completion of the U.S. Nationals series, promoting brotherhood, camaraderie, esprit de corps and, a common desire to succeed. For one’s country.
6. MXDN Training Camp starts immediately after the last AMA National.
7. Four finalists will compete in last two MXGP races in Turkey and Italy, being stationed and practicing in Lommel, Belgium- between these Grand Prix events.
8. TEAM AMERICA jackets to be awarded on the podium. Only on the podium.
9. TEAM AMERICA pits at Assen to be operated like a war-room. No guests.
10. If a selected rider declines an invitation to the TEAM, he will be disqualified from the first round of the following years’ series, both SX and MX.
11. As an incentive to participate (beyond the honor of serving one’s country), several potential provisions shall be explored and considered; including giving theses honorees first gate picks at first round of Nationals, possibly additional points awarded at beginning of season, perhaps special number-plate recognition.

2019 TIMELINE:

JUNE 22 – WW MX Park, Florida ( 5 races completed), Six (6) Rider Candidates to the MXDN TEAM AMERICA *WATCH LIST* selected and announced. BY FAN VOTE.

AUGUST 17-BUDDS CREEK, Maryland – Four (4) Rider Finalists for the MXDN TEAM AMERICA selected and announced, (including an alternate). BY FAN VOTE.

August 25 thru 5 September – MXDN Training Camp, likely at BAJA ACRES, Michigan, USA

September 8- MXGP Turkey
September 22- MXGP Italy
September 29-ASSEN, Netherlands. RACE DAY.

|

12/18/2018 1:38 PM

|

12/18/2018 2:21 PM

is that a 65 elcamino

|

12/18/2018 2:25 PM

pete24 wrote:

is that a 65 elcamino

1967, She's a very silly car.Truck, Thing,

|

12/18/2018 2:54 PM

When E.F. Rupert Speaks.........ssshhhhhh.....the world will listen. A Bultaco THUMBS UP sir!

|

12/18/2018 2:55 PM

I think you’ve lost your marbles!
It’s a bike race not a war.

USA have just had a couple of crappy years in conditions which better suit the euros.
Sadly next year is also in favour of the euros.
USA will win again soon no doubt.

As a Brit we’ve only just had our 1st podium in 20 years, yet we’re one of the most winning teams in the history of mxon. It’d be nice to win, but the race it’s self has more importance.

Get over it and enjoy the racing!

|

12/18/2018 3:16 PM

Cliffy615 wrote:

USA have just had a couple of crappy years in conditions which ...more

" If not us, WHO ? " If Not NOW, When?"

Sir, I respect your opinion, THOUSANDS of MX Fans do NOT want to change the format of this American Team or anything regarding its approach. THOUSANDS of you, And you all live in France, England, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Australia, and other places and you feel the AMA is doing a FABULOUS job of running the American Team,

Oh, I understand it,

But, I and others demand TEAM AMERICA be fixed, if any of you AMERICANS have better plans or tweaks to the system, I'd love to hear them,,,,,'

Or, keep things the way they are, and hope and pray for a top twenty at ASSEn ?
|

12/18/2018 3:22 PM

all sounds GREAT to me..........sadly none of the powers that be would sign up for such a system.........SX is American MX now............nobody really cares about much else IMO...........but the first stumbling block would be who pays for such a strategic attack plan for one race that it seems very few care about anymore?!??!

|

12/18/2018 3:28 PM

I congratulate and commend Mr. Rupert. Team America! Ooh rah.

|

12/18/2018 3:32 PM

mauidex wrote:

all sounds GREAT to me..........sadly none of the powers that be would sign up for such a system.........SX is American MX ...more

" Few care about?" Respectfully disagree. Have you been to a des Nations? Were you at Red Bud ?

I'd guess about 50,000 American fans would disagree with you.

And, as far as pay for it, whoever pays for it now,,,,,in addition we could have some creative ways to raise funds, like

charge people to spectate at training camp riding sessions, featured MXDN sponsors, etc...

essentially sir, we need a new plan, old one not working,

Team America done getting spanked,

|

12/18/2018 3:42 PM

Cliffy615 wrote:

USA have just had a couple of crappy years in conditions which ...more

Rupert X wrote:
" If not us, WHO ? " If Not NOW, When?"

Sir, I respect your opinion, THOUSANDS of MX Fans do NOT want to change the format ...more

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic. Assuming the top riders don't bail on the team again, with a bit of luck and nice weather Team USA could easily go top 10 at Assen.

|

12/18/2018 3:48 PM

psycho

|

12/18/2018 3:55 PM

Rupert X wrote:
" Few care about?" Respectfully disagree. Have you been to a des Nations? Were you at Red Bud ?

I'd guess about 50,000 ...more

Sorry rup. Should have clarified more. “Few” being guys that write the checks. Didn’t go to red bud but was at every one of the USA ones since unadilla in 87 and several in Europe in the 90s. I agree with you on all fronts. Again if the “Any ones” that make such decisions really cared all of your proposals could be accomplished. Honestly once roger is done I’d be surprised if USA even goes anymore.

|

12/18/2018 3:59 PM

This regimented, military approach you suggest will not work imo. This isn't war. This is a mx race for pride. That approach may certainly work if lives are on the line, but they aren't. Many top American riders would even resent this type of structured, regimented torture chamber. There is a reason why certain top riders don't train with these type of trainers. Not everyone becomes the best they can be by constantly being brow beat. Eli may be one of the riders who wouldn't respond positively to a marine boot camp and I feel we can all agree that he is one of if not our most talented riders. That motivation and desire has to mainly come from within. I'd be shocked to find out that either Cairoli or Helrings needs a drill sergeant to give them the motivation to be the best. They have that desire themselves. Maybe that is what some need, but certainly not everyone.

One final thought. To many, the Nations is and should be the most important race of the year. I doubt the people in charge of Supercross and the AMA nationals would agree.

|

Honda Rules!

12/18/2018 4:05 PM

Lol

|

12/18/2018 4:11 PM

Some of those suggestions are completely sound.

Getting them implemented is something else entirely.

|

12/18/2018 4:16 PM

Change the US nationals to more closely resemble the GPs and the problem will take care of itself. We have a lot more population than any single country in Europe, so we should have a bigger pool of talent to choose from. If we all race the same sport, we'll do just fine.

Reduce the number of venues for Supercross, or start offering Motocross-only contracts. Let those riders race year-round outdoors and skip the Circuscross. I'd be a fan.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/18/2018 4:19 PM

Anyone who disagrees with anything Rup said shall be sentenced to a lifetime of riding Kawasaki’s Photo

|

12/18/2018 4:30 PM

Hmmmm, a few thoughts ...

• Assen will be a tough place to turn things around when you consider that Herlings will finish first (1st) and first (1st) in his two (2) motos. Plus his compatriots won't be half (1/2) bad.

• France will be strong yet again and will be poised to take their sixth (6th) MXoN in a row.

• It's too late to label the squad TEAM AMERICA. They prefer to be known as TEAM SUPERCROSS.

I do like the idea of TEAM SUPERCROSS traveling to Europe for one or two late-season rounds, though. They should have done that this past year.

|

12/18/2018 4:37 PM

Blaming anyone but the riders is silly. They got rough housed by better racers. Anyone that says that DeCoster is responsible for our whoopin's is just making excuses and putting their desperation on public display.

|

12/18/2018 4:39 PM

Hire Bill Bellichick to manage and motivate the team. Part of General Michael Flynn sentence will be to coach the team and Ivanka will dress the team.

|

12/18/2018 4:47 PM

Euros are fast, who gives a shit?

|

21.5 350 XC-F
96' XR600r

12/18/2018 4:48 PM

You sure took a long time speak your mind Rup. I think one of the biggest problems is the time between the last national and the last GP. The idea of having them race the last two GP’s is good but, it’s got to be pretty expensive to have 4 riders and everything else you need for 4 weeks. The money has to come from somewhere.

|

12/18/2018 4:55 PM

Mmm yeah I dunno..

You could do all that or maybe you guys could just enjoy the event.. Try your hardest to win sure, but I reckon the riders are suffering from all the pressure that's heaped on them..
A relaxed 'comfortable' team is a fast one

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

12/18/2018 4:58 PM

laughing
|

12/18/2018 5:31 PM

Ok, say they do all that you suggested and we still get beat, then what? What will be the "reason" then?
Stop trying overanalyzing this. USA got 6th, end of story. Go back and try again next time

|

12/18/2018 5:39 PM

GuyB wrote:

Some of those suggestions are completely sound.

Getting them implemented is something else entirely.

Rupert X, THE Rupert X , a man of moto for decade upon decade speaks his well thought out mind and gets more down votes than thumbs up from candies who were shitting their diapers while Rup had already been roosting for decades. They look in the mirror and say to themselves, I gave Rupert a thumbs down! I showed him!

Guy B comes along and agrees with what Rupert says and gets nothing but thumbs up. They then look in the mirror and say to themselves, maybe I am a puss. laughing

Damn, it's laughable.

Go Rupert! Don't stop now...

wink

|

12/18/2018 5:49 PM

Hey Rup, I gave you a thumbs up. It all evens out...

|

12/18/2018 6:18 PM

Win back the Chamberlain Trophy and send our guy's to the Whitehouse again. USA needs to put MXDN back on the top shelf.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

12/18/2018 6:19 PM

ti473 wrote:

Ok, say they do all that you suggested and we still get beat, then what? What will be the "reason" then?
Stop trying ...more

Exactly. Lets keep trying the exact same thing over and over again, changing nothing, expecting different results,

The very definition of futility, I'm afraid you missed the message.
|