THE DUDE to root for - At Ironman this weekend.

Rupert X
8/21/2019 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2019 5:33am
James “Derek” Wedding. 56 years of Texas firecracker he. Never met him. Want to. Just saw his video on Facebook and, I’ve seen his (very impressive)results recently in an old 1980 Cycle News, when he was running the Nationals. He’s trying to qualify for the 125 race. Please encourage him - since I can’t be there.
|
8/21/2019 7:30pm
I don't need any further info than what's in this post. Pulling for all 56 years of THE DUDE to culminate at Ironman!!!

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
8/21/2019 10:28pm
Does he remind you of Carl from slingblade ? Laughing

I reckon that prizefighter feller don't think I kin make it, mmm ....hhmmm...... he figgers since in I might not make it I shouldn't ought to even try mmm...hhmmmm...

I hope qualifies. One thing for certain he'll have way more fun that weekend than most of us !

8/22/2019 6:27am
sumdood wrote:
Does he remind you of Carl from slingblade ? :laugh: I reckon that prizefighter feller don't think I kin make it, mmm ....hhmmm...... he figgers since...
Does he remind you of Carl from slingblade ? Laughing

I reckon that prizefighter feller don't think I kin make it, mmm ....hhmmm...... he figgers since in I might not make it I shouldn't ought to even try mmm...hhmmmm...

I hope qualifies. One thing for certain he'll have way more fun that weekend than most of us !

First thing I thought of when I watched the video. Prizefighter might want to stay away from people with Kaiser Blades for a while. Hope he qualifies.

The Shop

fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2798th
8/22/2019 6:46am
you dont have to qualify for the dream race. you just have to sign up before it gets full
swtwtwtw
8/22/2019 6:47am
Who knows? I know more than one +50 year olds that could still qualify for a National.
ATKpilot99
8/22/2019 7:38am
There's already been at least a couple plus 50 riders in this class this season .
txjcfsr
8/22/2019 7:55am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2019 7:59am
It is my understanding that due to the large number of entries they are running qualifying races to get on the gate for the 125 race. If some of the riders don't show up, maybe they won't run the qualifiers, but last week Derek was expecting to have to qualify.

I know this man, and admire what he is doing. He is 56 years old, weighs 280lbs and is racing a 125. He is fast. He used to race for Mitch Payton's team, back in the day, on a Husqvarna.

I am pulling for him, and hope he makes the gate. At least he is out there trying.

Teddy Roosevelt wrote a speech about this type of thing.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Never underestimate an old man on a dirt bike, especially this man. He might not make it, but I hope that he does, for lots of reasons.

Good luck Derek.
FWYT
8/22/2019 8:06am
txjcfsr wrote:
It is my understanding that due to the large number of entries they are running qualifying races to get on the gate for the 125 race...
It is my understanding that due to the large number of entries they are running qualifying races to get on the gate for the 125 race. If some of the riders don't show up, maybe they won't run the qualifiers, but last week Derek was expecting to have to qualify.

I know this man, and admire what he is doing. He is 56 years old, weighs 280lbs and is racing a 125. He is fast. He used to race for Mitch Payton's team, back in the day, on a Husqvarna.

I am pulling for him, and hope he makes the gate. At least he is out there trying.

Teddy Roosevelt wrote a speech about this type of thing.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Never underestimate an old man on a dirt bike, especially this man. He might not make it, but I hope that he does, for lots of reasons.

Good luck Derek.
Well said, brother.
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
8/22/2019 8:19am
Apparently “theprizefighter” hasn’t seen the roster of riders at some of these races. There are kids that are barely competitive in C class racing these things.

I’m slow and I’d still sign up. The only thing I wouldn’t do is give a fuck what anyone on Vital thought of my decision.
gb4mx
8/22/2019 8:26am
Good Luck to James. He'll enjoy the entire weekend.
MXDAD140
8/22/2019 8:53am
I’ve known Derek since we were kids and raced against him back in the day and also currently. He will give it 100% and nothing less and have fun doing it. Good luck Derek.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
8/22/2019 9:05am
Rupert X wrote:
James “Derek” Wedding. 56 years of Texas firecracker he. Never met him. Want to. Just saw his video on Facebook and, I’ve seen his (very impressive)results...
James “Derek” Wedding. 56 years of Texas firecracker he. Never met him. Want to. Just saw his video on Facebook and, I’ve seen his (very impressive)results recently in an old 1980 Cycle News, when he was running the Nationals. He’s trying to qualify for the 125 race. Please encourage him - since I can’t be there.
DW33 is a pal of mine. Moto to the core and still twists the right grip pretty darn good. And his FB moto updates are awesome.
H4L
8/22/2019 9:08am
Rooting for Derek from the 50+ Moto crowd here..
8/22/2019 9:30am
I too have known Derek from the late 70's and still see him quite a bit at races. He can still haul ass! He used to be one of the original Pro Circuit riders back when Mitch Peyton ran Huskys.

Go Derek !!!!!!!
danoh
8/22/2019 9:37am
Found a pic of theprizefighter
Bramlett321
8/22/2019 9:50am
Ohhhhh he's gonna make it !!! Look at this cats form and hell his pants already say "RACE READY", shit he's a firm stamp it right now. I wonder where this dude rides at currently....we hit the DFW tracks every now and then.
Tomok
8/22/2019 10:19am
I just creeped his FB page. Seems like a lifetime lover of Moto and easy to root for. He will send it!
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
8/22/2019 11:44am
Ohhhhh he's gonna make it !!! Look at this cats form and hell his pants already say "RACE READY", shit he's a firm stamp it right...
Ohhhhh he's gonna make it !!! Look at this cats form and hell his pants already say "RACE READY", shit he's a firm stamp it right now. I wonder where this dude rides at currently....we hit the DFW tracks every now and then.
He's a regular at TVRC events. Probably be at Johnsonville 9/22.
mb60
8/22/2019 12:02pm
Hell yea good luck DW33 and have fun.
Pat121
8/22/2019 2:19pm
MadMilam331
8/22/2019 2:29pm
Rupert X wrote:
James “Derek” Wedding. 56 years of Texas firecracker he. Never met him. Want to. Just saw his video on Facebook and, I’ve seen his (very impressive)results...
Derek “AirBus” Wedding is a personal and very good friend of mine. He’s legit from the gate drop and doesn’t mess around. He was blazing fast back in our younger days and can still Haul The Mail. It’s Awesome to watch him rail that 125! If any Kat in our age group has a shot in making the show it’s DW33 and he WILL 🤘🏻💯🤘🏻
Give it to’em Boss!!
500guy
8/22/2019 2:59pm
Good luck to Derek but man if He really weighs 280 that's a lot of disadvantage.

But hell it's just a nostalgia race anyway, who wouldn't root for the guy?
Excaliburbmx
8/22/2019 3:02pm
How come every single thread has to have haters,naysayers or arguments?

No matter the topic it always has to slide sideways.
H4L
8/22/2019 4:41pm
How come every single thread has to have haters,naysayers or arguments?

No matter the topic it always has to slide sideways.
I'm older than most on here so I'm Old Skool & think it has to do with social media. Since 99% (1% given to benefit of doubt) of the time they all hide behind a keyboard & monitor with the worst case scenario being they will get clipped. I think there should be other consequences so it would deter most from spewing negativity & hate.

8/22/2019 5:11pm
Not a hater, just said I'd discourage him -- at his age -- from trying to qualify for this race, and I stated why. He's probably not nearly as fast and he could end up hurting himself or others. I get that it's a cool, feel good story and all, but if it was some 280 pound young guy who wasn't near the speed of the others, you all would be saying he doesn't belong out there. I can respect that he's moto to the core and is fast for his age, and was a fast pro in the 80s, but there are times to be realistic.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
8/22/2019 5:21pm
Not a hater, just said I'd discourage him -- at his age -- from trying to qualify for this race, and I stated why. He's probably...
Not a hater, just said I'd discourage him -- at his age -- from trying to qualify for this race, and I stated why. He's probably not nearly as fast and he could end up hurting himself or others. I get that it's a cool, feel good story and all, but if it was some 280 pound young guy who wasn't near the speed of the others, you all would be saying he doesn't belong out there. I can respect that he's moto to the core and is fast for his age, and was a fast pro in the 80s, but there are times to be realistic.
What part of this don't you get? It's an exhibition race.
mwssquad827
8/22/2019 6:35pm
you dont have to qualify for the dream race. you just have to sign up before it gets full
Not true.. they had qualifier races at washougal this year and like 15-20 dudes didn’t make the main gate
mwssquad827
8/22/2019 6:41pm
Not a hater, just said I'd discourage him -- at his age -- from trying to qualify for this race, and I stated why. He's probably...
What part of this don't you get? It's an exhibition race.
Ya be pumped for the old dude!! I hope I still have a lil speed at 56 and have the balls to try and race with the young bucks at that level.. and yes it’s just a exhibition race (aka fun race)..

Good luck Derek!!!

Post a reply to: THE DUDE to root for - At Ironman this weekend.

The Latest