TC250 reviews recommendations. Just ordered my 18 model, now we play the waiting game.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2017 1:10 AM

Going in to put my money down on a 2018 TC250 next week, I'll be waiting until September until they arrive in Australia (can not wait!!), so I'd like to hear from anyone thats put hard hours on a 2017 model and tried more than one aftermarket pipe & muffler and has some comparisons. Any things to look out for? Show me your TC250 Race bike

I did hear something about the stock Vforce reed cages being dodgy but don't know it what way? I've already got a small list of things I will do to it before the race season starts next year, But I won't be dumping a ton of money into it like I did with my RM, I'm getting back into racing so looking more for the practical mods more than bling (black rims will go almost straight up), First up on my list will be an Acerbis skid plate and a Black stadium plate for protection.

|

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_

7/19/2017 7:04 AM

I have a 16 so I won't be a ton of help but the issue with the reeds is most out of the factory had gaps in them so just check yours when you get it. A buddy of mine just got the 17 250sx and is going to try out the lectron since the mikuni can be really temperamental. He just put it on his bike this week and should be getting it out this weekend so I'll let you know what he thinks. I have a Scalvini pipe and silencer and not only do they look bitchin, they perform pretty damn well also.

Photo

|

7/19/2017 7:32 AM

Michael Scott wrote:

I have a 16 so I won't be a ton of help but the issue with the reeds is most out of the factory had gaps in them so just check yours when you get it. A buddy of mine just got the 17 250sx and is going to try out the lectron since the mikuni can be really temperamental. He just put it on his bike this week and should be getting it out this weekend so I'll let you know what he thinks. I have a Scalvini pipe and silencer and not only do they look bitchin, they perform pretty damn well also.

Photo

I'll second what you're saying on the Lectron. I've got that carb on a '17 300 and it has changed the way the bike runs in a very good way. The power is so much more linear now than before and throttle response drastically improved. Top end is out of this world and this is a 300, not a bike known for top end but for low end torque. This carb has been my best mod ever, but I'm not much smarter than an idiot when it comes to jetting. Enjoy the bike!!

|

7/19/2017 7:50 AM

35 hours of moto/practice on my 2017 TC250. Love the bike. First the carb - I got the Mikuni jetted reasonably well for my local area but I noticed some variation when the temperature changed. Also, the bike went through lots of expensive fuel - I have used mostly VPR/40:1 motorex. I went to the Lectron with 4-1xl installed, haven't touched a thing since, runs crisp, lots of power, definately use less fuel also. Replaced stock reeds with Vforce4, mostly for quality, didnt notice much difference in running. Stock pipe signs off early, went with a factory fatty. Very pleased - bike pulls much longer than stock. Tried 2 silencers, both PC because I personally dont like the look of FMF silencers. Long 304 made the engine pull longer and hard but smooth, R304 added noticible bottom to mid, just a hair less top end. Kept the R304 on for now due to the tracks I ride. I weigh 177 with no gear and needed the next stiffer rear spring on the shock. Put a 49t on the rear, liked it better. Thats about it, all the other mods I have done have just been personal preference/fun mods. Enjoy/ pist pics of that thing when you get it!Photo

|

7/19/2017 12:47 PM

Duncster316 wrote:

35 hours of moto/practice on my 2017 TC250. Love the bike. First the carb - I got the Mikuni jetted reasonably well for my local area but I noticed some variation when the temperature changed. Also, the bike went through lots of expensive fuel - I have used mostly VPR/40:1 motorex. I went to the Lectron with 4-1xl installed, haven't touched a thing since, runs crisp, lots of power, definately use less fuel also. Replaced stock reeds with Vforce4, mostly for quality, didnt notice much difference in running. Stock pipe signs off early, went with a factory fatty. Very pleased - bike pulls much longer than stock. Tried 2 silencers, both PC because I personally dont like the look of FMF silencers. Long 304 made the engine pull longer and hard but smooth, R304 added noticible bottom to mid, just a hair less top end. Kept the R304 on for now due to the tracks I ride. I weigh 177 with no gear and needed the next stiffer rear spring on the shock. Put a 49t on the rear, liked it better. Thats about it, all the other mods I have done have just been personal preference/fun mods. Enjoy/ pist pics of that thing when you get it!Photo

I was thinking about a lectron, heard about the dramas. Have you tried running the recommended 60:1 fuel oil ratio in it? apparently makes it a lot better?

|

7/19/2017 1:49 PM

I have been runjing the Lectron since about 10 hours. I mostly switched due to fuel consumption and not wanting to rejet seasonally, I already do that enough on the boys bikes. I have no reason or desire to change out the Lectron.

|

7/19/2017 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2017 1:54 PM

Dude I want one of these badly- I think I'm over the whole latest and greatest 450 craze.. I have a 17' CRF, and it's incredible, but there's something about the way a 2-stroke sounds-

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

7/19/2017 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2017 3:10 PM

I have a '17 TC250. Have 15 hours on mine and wish I had bought it sooner. I have ridden Honda CR250s for the last several years and this TC blows the Honda away for me.

For mine, I sanded the reed cage, had the head cut, and installed a JD jetting setup and it runs great now. I have barely touched the air screw since the changes. Bike handles great, suspension is very good, and seems to be very solid (thus far). I will need a chain and sprockets soon and will likely go to a 49 tooth rear.

Will probably have the suspension revalved at some point as there are a few things that should help a lot. May spring for an exhaust as well. A little more top end would go a long way.

Photo

EDIT: I run 93 octane pump gas mixed at 32:1 with Lucas Oil semi-synthetic. No problems with pinging/spooging/etc.

|

7/19/2017 2:57 PM

Keep em coming I will be getting an '18 when they are available here!

|

7/19/2017 5:11 PM

Photo Got this '17 TC250 used with 14 hrs. on it. Unfortunately got dinged up pretty good (on another bike) so won't be able to hear braaaaap on the track until September. All I can do is wander out to the garage every once in awhile and look at it. Sure is purddy.

|

7/19/2017 5:17 PM

Photo

|

7/19/2017 5:22 PM

From what I observed recently...I'g get the Husky 250 2T without a carburetor.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/19/2017 5:29 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

From what I observed recently...I'g get the Husky 250 2T without a carburetor.

In the helicopter world we have a saying- "don't fly an A model"
I'd try and wait for the 2019 Fi bike.

Also, the MX models won't be injected in 2018, only the Enduro models.

Interesting that the TC125 lists carburetor angle (manifold) changes for '18.
Perhaps this is one of the things that has contributed to the woes of changing to the Mikuni.
Hopefully less jetting dramas on the '18s

|

7/19/2017 6:03 PM

Mines bone stock & I love it
Photo

Photo

|

Washed up mid pack B rider

7/19/2017 6:37 PM

I put a 49t rear sprocket on it, different graphics and adjusted some settings.
Other than that my Tc250 is bone stock and I don't feel the need to change anything. Not even the pipe. Love the bike as it is right now. Very happy

|

7/19/2017 6:51 PM

30 hours of MX practice here (I'm a D- vet C , 50 y/o )

Reeds : I installed a VForce because some stock petals do break. Dealer I got mine from had two TC's swallowing the reeds at low hours, Chip from Munn Racing saw that too on some SX,
Stock was showing gaps but quite frankly not sure if this was a real issue,.
My Vforce (farce?) is not tight either.

Mikuni...... been a work in progress for quite some time until I got it figured out.
My best and current setup is with JD kit but I came with a pretty good one too using OEM jets/needles.
But no question the Mikuni is more sensitive to temp/humidity variations (I'm in FL so elevation is not in scope!) than the Keihin.
My 13 250/300 SX was jetted in a few sessions and very consistent afterwards
Someone sent me a pic of the 18 jetting spec page and appears to be same as 17.

I have the FMF Factory fatty (not on pic hereunder) and Powercore 2.1 silencer. Broaden the powerband nicely,(and I just can't think of a smoker without a raw pipe...)
I fond out it runs best when short shifted.

Chassis is awesome.
Stiffer spring in the rear and stock valving front and rear, First time in 10 years. Real happy with it.

Photo

|

7/20/2017 12:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2017 12:56 AM

Oh yeah! Happy to see so many other jazzed TC250 owners.

2017 TC250 is the best motocross bike I've ever ridden. Don't ever get off this bike and not be smiling and stoked! It's wicked light, handles great, suspension out of the box is rad, is a two stroke, etc etc. Can't say enough good things about it.

For reference. Since moving to California in 2010 my previous owned bikes were a 2013 KTM 250SX (this '17 gen is far superior) and a 2006 CR250F. Ridden extensively (like long term loaners) on brand new 2011 Yamaha YZ250, 2012 Suzuki RMZ250 and 2014 YZ250F and some test days on 2016 CRF450.

My TC250 has 17 hours on it and the following

- Lectron HV carb, installed before first ride so I can't compare to stock. Had read enough good things about this carb that I just wanted to go for it and be able to sell stock carb brand new. Fun fact for you other 2017 TC250 Lectron owners. I got my bike so early and was first MX guy to get the Lectron carb that I had to work with Kevin at Lectron to dial in the settings. Initial carb (and settings) were way off and after 6 hours and tons of phone time and tweaking I sent it back. He dialed it in at the shop, re-dyno'ed it, hooked it up with the high velocity upgrade and been mint ever since. Prior to that his test setting were all based off trail riding for the 17's smile Great guys there and happy to be running it.
- Domino throttle assembly (needed and came with Lectron)
- Fastway AIR EXT pegs, low setting (see bars comment)
- Pro Taper CR High bars. I'm 6'1 and long in the torso. This lowered pegs and raised bars worked wonders! Love it. Read bunch of threads here about tall riders so thanks for the info Vital guys.
- Renthal 49t rear sprocket
- Moto Tassarini VForce 4VR reeds (yup, my OEM ones had gaps)
- Fasst Company rear brake return spring (it was $20 wtf not)
- Bunch of blue anodized shit and a factory metal gas cap becaues it makes me go faster
- Currently running 50:1 Motorex split 25/75 with VP110 and pump gas. Will be going to 60:1 soon because the Husqvarna guys looked at me like I had two heads when I told them I wasn't running 60:1...
- I'm 190lbs buck nekkid and had to go up once spring rate on the back. Forks at 10.8 bar.
- My 2013 had fully revalved and serviced WP North America work done and my stock 2017 boingers with WP North America 'clicker settings and fork pressure' blows the revalved 2013 stuff out of the water... so that's nice.

Pipe coming up soon...not like stock pipe is holding me back...

I jump on 4-strokes pretty often and find them a little boring at the moment. No soul. Getting on 450's is always shocking how heavy they feel and sluggish they handle. 250F's feel pretty slow after riding a modern 250 two banger also. I have a 450 supermoto track only bike, four stroke roadracing bikes and am buying a four stroke dual sport, so not like I'm anti-four stroke just don't prefer them in the MX setting currently.

Only negative I have with the bike is the stock plastics seems to scratch up and wear faster than my 2013 KTM's did. I had 85hrs on my 2013 250SX, and multiple crashes, and I sold the bike with the original plastics on it still looking good! The TC has only 17 hours and way less crashes and the shrouds and side panels are pretty beat-up from my pants/braces/boots. I'll probably do full plastics and fancy graphics kit around 25 hours and freshen it up.

Enjoy your purchase mate!

Pic 1 - First day with bike. Carb detail shot.
Pic 2 - More recently
Pic 3 - Racing the Husqvarna World Champs (heh) at Cahuilla Creek

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/20/2017 1:47 AM

Duncster316 wrote:

I have been runjing the Lectron since about 10 hours. I mostly switched due to fuel consumption and not wanting to rejet seasonally, I already do that enough on the boys bikes. I have no reason or desire to change out the Lectron.

Im a product of the fuel injected 4 stroke era, I had an 85 (that my dad looked after) then I jumped straight onto a YZ250F, that was the first bike I bought and raced on my own and to be honest I never played with jetting I just rode it, every bike after that has been fuel injected up until recently when i finished my RM125, I rejetted it to FMF's specs and it made it a lot better but i haven't ridden it since so i can't say i know anything about how to properly jet a two stroke.

Everything I've read and heard about Lectrons makes them more appealing to me. I will definitely have a go at getting the standard carb right and get my head around how to get them working before shelling out over 400 on a carby.

|

7/20/2017 1:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2017 2:05 AM

Alex.434 wrote:

2017 TC250 is the best motocross bike I've ever ridden. Don't ever get off this bike and not be smiling and stoked! It's wicked light, handles great, suspension out of the box is rad, is a two stroke, etc etc. Can't say enough good things about it.

For reference. Since moving to California in 2010 my previous owned bikes were a 2013 KTM 250SX (this '17 gen is far superior) and a 2006 CR250F. Ridden extensively (like long term loaners) on brand new 2011 Yamaha YZ250, 2012 Suzuki RMZ250 and 2014 YZ250F and some test days on 2016 CRF450.

- Lectron HV carb, installed before first ride so I can't compare to stock. Had read enough good things about this carb that I just wanted to go for it and be able to sell stock carb brand new. Fun fact for you other 2017 TC250 Lectron owners. I got my bike so early and was first MX guy to get the Lectron carb that I had to work with Kevin at Lectron to dial in the settings. Initial carb (and settings) were way off and after 6 hours and tons of phone time and tweaking I sent it back. He dialed it in at the shop, re-dyno'ed it, hooked it up with the high velocity upgrade and been mint ever since. Prior to that his test setting were all based off trail riding for the 17's smile Great guys there and happy to be running it.
- Pro Taper CR High bars. I'm 6'1 and long in the torso. This lowered pegs and raised bars worked wonders! Love it. Read bunch of threads here about tall riders so thanks for the info Vital guys.
- Bunch of blue anodized shit and a factory metal gas cap becaues it makes me go faster
- Currently running 50:1 Motorex split 25/75 with VP110 and pump gas. Will be going to 60:1 soon because the Husqvarna guys looked at me like I had two heads when I told them I wasn't running 60:1...
- I'm 190lbs buck nekkid and had to go up once spring rate on the back. Forks at 10.8 bar.
- My 2013 had fully revalved and serviced WP North America work done and my stock 2017 boingers with WP North America 'clicker settings and fork pressure' blows the revalved 2013 stuff out of the water... so that's nice.

I jump on 4-strokes pretty often and find them a little boring at the moment. No soul. Getting on 450's is always shocking how heavy they feel and sluggish they handle. 250F's feel pretty slow after riding a modern 250 two banger also. I have a 450 supermoto track only bike, four stroke roadracing bikes and am buying a four stroke dual sport, so not like I'm anti-four stroke just don't prefer them in the MX setting currently.

Only negative I have with the bike is the stock plastics seems to scratch up and wear faster than my 2013 KTM's did. I had 85hrs on my 2013 250SX, and multiple crashes, and I sold the bike with the original plastics on it still looking good! The TC has only 17 hours and way less crashes and the shrouds and side panels are pretty beat-up from my pants/braces/boots. I'll probably do full plastics and fancy graphics kit around 25 hours and freshen it up.

Pic 2 - More recently

Photo
Photo
Photo

Whats involved in swapping out the stock carb for a Lectron? are they direct swap aside from the throttle assy as I see you said there you fitted a domino throttle assy as it was needed for the Lectron? why doesn't the standard throttle work? will it fit between the air boot and reed cage boot no problem?

Strange you say the plastics wore out quicker as all new KTM's and husky have Sublimated graphics, thats supposed to make them last longer? maybe because the plastics are white they look worse and show more than the orange stuff that would maybe cover some of the damage. I've always had white bikes and they are a bitch to keep looking nice over my mates bikes of similar ages and similar ride time have always looked newer and prettier.

|

7/20/2017 1:58 AM

Duncster316 wrote:

Slosh 112 wrote:

Im a product of the fuel injected 4 stroke era, I had an 85 (that my dad looked after) then I jumped straight onto a YZ250F, that was the first bike I bought and raced on my own and to be honest I never played with jetting I just rode it, every bike after that has been fuel injected up until recently when i finished my RM125, I rejetted it to FMF's specs and it made it a lot better but i haven't ridden it since so i can't say i know anything about how to properly jet a two stroke.

Everything I've read and heard about Lectrons makes them more appealing to me. I will definitely have a go at getting the standard carb right and get my head around how to get them working before shelling out over 400 on a carby.

We're in Oz. Over $600.00 tongue

The Lectron is easy to tune. And if all else fails, you can just buy the "fuel ratio tool".

https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/index.php/parts/tools/fuel-ratio-tool.html

|

7/20/2017 1:59 AM

SteveUrchin wrote:

Mines bone stock & I love it
Photo

Photo

I like the fact that theres guys out there (two in this thread at least) that ride and rate a stock standard TC250. Shows how good the bike is.

|

7/20/2017 2:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2017 2:05 AM

Slosh 112 wrote:

Whats involved in swapping out the stock carb for a Lectron? are they direct swap aside from the throttle assy as I see you said there you fitted a domino throttle assy as it was needed for the Lectron? why doesn't the standard throttle work? will it fit between the air boot and reed cage boot no problem?

Strange you say the plastics wore out quicker as all new KTM's and husky have Sublimated graphics, thats supposed to make them last longer? maybe because the plastics are white they look worse and show more than the orange stuff that would maybe cover some of the damage. I've always had white bikes and they are a bitch to keep looking nice over my mates bikes of similar ages and similar ride time have always looked newer and prettier.

Lectron have their own throttle cables, made by Motion Pro. I use the Vortex throttle.

The 38mm "Shorty" on my RM 144 AF is 10mm wider than stock. So only 5mm each side.

|

7/20/2017 2:04 AM

FTB wrote:

The Lectron is easy to tune. And if all else fails, you can just buy the "fuel ratio tool".

Ok yeah wow! maybe I'll try more than a little bit before buying the Lectron...

|

7/20/2017 2:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2017 5:06 AM

Slosh 112 wrote:

FTB wrote:

Slosh 112 wrote:

Ok yeah wow! maybe I'll try more than a little bit before buying the Lectron...

More off the bottom and more up top. On the dyno (144cc) the power came on earlier and there was more over rev up top. I think it was worth 4HP.
I had to change the tune once all season, when it got warmer. Mind you, there's no re-jetting, just 1/4 of a turn leaner on the metering rod w00t .

I mainly ride off road and my bike only has a 7.5 liter tank. I also ride in the Vic high country so the Lectron is a "must have" for me. Mind you, after owning them, I'd still get one even if it wasn't a "must have".

|

7/20/2017 5:50 AM

Coming from a 2013 300sx. Major difference in turning, feel and overall handling. But still a KTM/Husky if that makes sense. I've heard folks say the bike feels more like a jap bike, Not for me, feels like a KTM 250sx.

I'm running stock carb with vforce4 and a JD Jetting kit. PC pipe/silencer. Head cut to .040. 93 non ethanol mix with 110 @44:1. Runs good at sea level, no problems. Would love to try the lectron.

AER fork works great on this bike. Pleasantly surprised for my first air fork coming from KYB SSS. Might be the first KTM/Husky you don't have to throw tricks at the suspension to get it normal.

The lack of vibration from the new motor is unreal felling, coming from a 300 that vibrated like crazy!

Awesome bikes, get one. I've always said the 250 smoker is the best all around MX machine, this one takes the prize.

Photo

|

7/20/2017 6:03 AM

Alex.434 wrote:

Pic 2 - More recently

Photo
Photo
Photo

What were the WP north America settings? And what is your weight and skill if you don't mind sharing?

I'm 6' with a long torso. Any links from others on the lower pegs and different bars?

|

7/20/2017 7:59 AM

Slosh 112 wrote:

I have a 17 150sx with 15 hours on it and can attest that the white shrouds with sublimated graphics look significantly more scratched and worn than the orange plastics. Part of this i'm sure is due to the shrouds constantly in contact with my knees/legs but ive taken a few minor spills and the white just seems more worn.

I love the look of the white shrouds with the orange fenders and graphics, but eventually I may switch to all orange plastics due to the wear.

|

I'm not an actual kid
Red Bud Vet Fest 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpxS0KgQFc

District 14
2017 KTM 150

R.I.P. Steel City

7/20/2017 10:54 AM

Got damn I want one so bad...

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

7/20/2017 11:13 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

I have a '17 TC250. Have 15 hours on mine and wish I had bought it sooner. I have ridden Honda CR250s for the last several years and this TC blows the Honda away for me.

For mine, I sanded the reed cage, had the head cut, and installed a JD jetting setup and it runs great now. I have barely touched the air screw since the changes. Bike handles great, suspension is very good, and seems to be very solid (thus far). I will need a chain and sprockets soon and will likely go to a 49 tooth rear.

Will probably have the suspension revalved at some point as there are a few things that should help a lot. May spring for an exhaust as well. A little more top end would go a long way.

Photo

EDIT: I run 93 octane pump gas mixed at 32:1 with Lucas Oil semi-synthetic. No problems with pinging/spooging/etc.

Nice bike, but that Ford got the blood flowing

|

7/20/2017 12:07 PM

I loved mine, but traded it for a '17 CRF 450. I would still buy another one in a heartbeat...

Best thing to do is cut the head .020-.025" and it will clean up the jetting with the stock carb or just send it to Varner and let him weld up the crappy 14.5% squish band width and re design it to a Japanese style 40%-50% width and it would run even better.

|