TBT vs Factory Connection for suspension?

Pool-eh
Fantasy
2875th
12/28/2017 1:18pm
I tried alluding to it, but I wasnt clear enough... yes, they swap the settings because all of the dealers received the settings that were developed...
I tried alluding to it, but I wasnt clear enough... yes, they swap the settings because all of the dealers received the settings that were developed by WP & KTM in-house.

That is why the WP A-kit stuff works so damn well. No guesswork. WP really helped out all their dealers by making their R&D available. It's made for a very happy customer.

I wonder if it will ever force KYB or Showa to do the same. Leaving the R&D up to the dealers hasn't worked. Properly set-up B-kit stuff will perform better than A-kit that isnt set up right.
I'm confused. Are you saying that wp gives fc valve settings? If so I can assure you that you're misinformed.
c0ncEpT
12/28/2017 1:49pm
A lot of guys are suggesting go with the local guy that will spend time with you at the track. Well, my rebuttal to that is...
A lot of guys are suggesting go with the local guy that will spend time with you at the track. Well, my rebuttal to that is: why would you go with the company that needs to use you as their R&D?

I mean, there is nothing wrong with it. And you'll enjoy the time spent with them at the track.

But you can save yourself the headache and go with the company that has already done the testing and can get it right for you the first time. That is why the WP A-kit stuff is so popular. You're getting near perfect settings that were developed at the factory. No guesswork.

When I had a Honda/Showa? FC was the no-brainer choice for me. I was happy as could be. They never needed to go to the track with me.

You own KYB suspension? I strongly suggest going with Enzo.
I feel about he exact opposite. It may be different in California because you have all these huge suspension shops located in state but us in other parts of the country don't have that luxury.

The local suspension tuners are usually racers or ex racers and they ride the same tracks you do on a weekly basis. They know where you ride and your skill level and can get you dialed in for the exact track/conditions you're riding every weekend.

You mention company's using the customer to R&D. All suspension company's rely on feed back from their test riders, sponsored riders, and customers to develop those very base setting you speak of.

I think your local suspension guy that rides the tracks you ride and races the same series you race is a great option. The relationship you can form with them by being in close proximity can be greatly beneficial to your racing program.
Titan1
12/28/2017 2:24pm
All I know, is that having to ship your suspension for service or repairs is a huge pain (and expense). That is why I prefer local shops.

I shipped my suspension down to TBT in Arizona...and they did a great job! And I love it. But it’s time for a full service (40 hours on it) and I’m dreading the cost and down time of shipping it back down there.

And honestly, unless you are a fast A rider or pro (which most of us aren’t) you aren’t going to miss the possible improvements gained by going the big national shops. And avoid the additional cost and delays of shipping your suspension for service.

I’d say, go with a reputable local company.
1/2/2018 10:54am
Just got my official final quote from FC and it's 2x TBT, and they said I'd have to get special permission from branch manager to drop my whole bike off (I don't have tools or knowledge to tear down).

Giving TBT a shot.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Sounds like I'd of been happy either way, but price + convenience is winning out for me right now.

The Shop

mxb2
1/2/2018 11:40am
Titan1 wrote:
All I know, is that having to ship your suspension for service or repairs is a huge pain (and expense). That is why I prefer local...
All I know, is that having to ship your suspension for service or repairs is a huge pain (and expense). That is why I prefer local shops.

I shipped my suspension down to TBT in Arizona...and they did a great job! And I love it. But it’s time for a full service (40 hours on it) and I’m dreading the cost and down time of shipping it back down there.

And honestly, unless you are a fast A rider or pro (which most of us aren’t) you aren’t going to miss the possible improvements gained by going the big national shops. And avoid the additional cost and delays of shipping your suspension for service.

If it's done right, no need to send it back. Local places are nice, but if needs fixed all the time. Wasting time and $$ anyways.
Chaser503
1/2/2018 12:01pm
Titan1 wrote:
All I know, is that having to ship your suspension for service or repairs is a huge pain (and expense). That is why I prefer local...

Someone local should be able to service it and leave the settings alone. Oil and seals are pretty straightforward stuff. Division MX (The Dirt Lab) in NSL, Moto Mike in Spanish Fork, Pro-Action in Heber City, etc. Oil levels should be indicated on the settings sticker from TBT.

I did run into issues shipping forks - were in a hard plastic gun case and FED-EX gave me all sorts of fits when I took it in to try to get them to ship it.

BTW - your TBT recommendation was what pushed me to send my 15 KX450 forks to Arizona. Guy did a great job and I love how stable the bike is at turn-in. Kept all the plush-ness and bottoming and now tracks through the turn, rather than push out or stand up.
1/2/2018 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 5:38pm
So because of weather I don’t expect to be riding for 2+ months. Any advantage to waiting until closer to the time I expect to be back on the bike? Like any service I presume it’s best to be able to give immediate feedback so it’s fresh in the techs mind, but more curious about the parts, fluids, etc... sitting unused for 6-10 weeks.
NeedMoto
1/2/2018 6:12pm
So because of weather I don’t expect to be riding for 2+ months. Any advantage to waiting until closer to the time I expect to be...
So because of weather I don’t expect to be riding for 2+ months. Any advantage to waiting until closer to the time I expect to be back on the bike? Like any service I presume it’s best to be able to give immediate feedback so it’s fresh in the techs mind, but more curious about the parts, fluids, etc... sitting unused for 6-10 weeks.
Sorry man... But for Gods sake just do it!

A lot of good recommendations have come your way.
1/3/2018 9:25am
Ha, I am. Forms submitted—just need to pass on a drop off date.

Post a reply to: TBT vs Factory Connection for suspension?

The Latest