TBT vs Factory Connection for suspension?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/22/2017 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 3:31 PM

Any opinions? Looks like the pricing is comparable, and they both have locations local to me. I've good things about both, but nothing really first-hand, and don't have anyone I could ask. I searched here and there was some comments about some questionable business tactics via TBT CA, but nothing about the OK branch.

I'm looking to get forks and shocks done, with stiffer springs (I'm 250 lbs, currently stock).

|

12/22/2017 4:03 PM

I'd go for factory connection I wouldn't buy a bike if I saw tbt stickers on it. I'm from the Seattle area where they originated from they suck.

|

12/22/2017 4:21 PM

I haven’t tried factory connection...but I do love my TBT suspension.

|

12/22/2017 4:25 PM

I have used the OK Factory Connection on my old Yamaha KYB's. Great group of dudes. Quick turn around. Suspension came back a little softer than I cared for, but with a few clicks of compression, settled pretty good

I have also used TBT in WA (Dave Sheets) to tame my Kawasaki shock. Again, good turn around and the work was great. Shock tracked well, good bottoming and control.

I would say either, in reality

|

12/22/2017 6:01 PM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

I'd go for factory connection I wouldn't buy a bike if I saw tbt stickers on it. I'm from the Seattle area where they originated from they suck.

Care to elaborate?

|

12/22/2017 6:39 PM

I can't comment on TBT sense ive never tried their stuff. But with Factory Connection they have a full suspension dyno back on the east coast. So when you put in your height, weight, type of riding ect. they put all that into the system and then can compare it to other setups that have been with other peoples suspension with similar attributes. Ive had them do my old 06 honda, and then also 05 YZ125 and YZ250 I currently have and have nothing but 5 stars for those guys. Out of the box the stuff has been perfect every time. By chance what kind of bike are you on?

|

#SickYZBro

12/22/2017 7:11 PM

2017 YZ250F

First bike, so don't have much opinion on what I like. It was a lot 'softer' than I expected at first, but I'm gotten pretty comfortable with it (despite definitely being much heavier then the target demographic). Also, I initially felt the back end had a tendency to unexpected kick out after some jumps—but I think it was something I was doing as I don't have that issue anymore.

|

12/22/2017 7:35 PM

FC. I’d imagine they have way more testing and input between all there locations country wide.

|

12/22/2017 8:30 PM

FC no brainer.

|

2010 crf450
2002 cr125
1993 Yamaha waveblaster
1993 Kawasaki 750sx

12/23/2017 12:29 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

Easy with the bashing now. Tbt knows what is going on.

|

12/24/2017 6:36 PM

Fc is awesome in so many ways. Who else would even pass on free revalves on to the next buyer of your bike after you sold it. Their customer service is second to none

|

12/24/2017 10:43 PM

Factory Connection 100%

|

12/24/2017 11:09 PM

abomination wrote:

Any opinions? Looks like the pricing is comparable, and they both have locations local to me. I've good things about both, but nothing really first-hand, and don't have anyone I could ask. I searched here and there was some comments about some questionable business tactics via TBT CA, but nothing about the OK branch.

I'm looking to get forks and shocks done, with stiffer springs (I'm 250 lbs, currently stock).

I think you should always consider which brand of suspension you use...

KYB? ...go Enzo

Showa? ...go with FC

WP ...go with FC (all of WP's official dealers get the factory tested settings data which is AWESOME, so you're picking customer service and FC, as mentioned, is 2nd to none)

Go with the guys that do a LOT of testing on a specific brand or specialize in certain areas. For example, everyone LOVES the WP kit cone valve forks & trax shock. Im convinced that has less to do with the technology and more to do with the fact that WP did all the testing for that kit in house and then made the data available to all the dealers. There is no guesswork. Customers are getting near perfect settings and thus are VERY happy. In-house testing for a single brand of bike is going to yield some pretty good results.

Whereas your typical suspension shop couldnt possibly do enough testing to have all the data necessary to take care of everyone's needs. You got a Suzuki that you put WP suspension on? How many companies out there have really put the time in to test that setup, and just happened to have developed settings for your exact weight and skill level. It's asking too much imo.

FC does a lot of testing on a lot of brands, but their specialty is clearly Hondas and Showa. Plus they have their relationship with WP.

Go with a company that specializes in the brand of bike/suspension combo that you have. I think that sets you up for the best success.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

12/25/2017 7:01 AM

bsharkey wrote:

Fc is awesome in so many ways. Who else would even pass on free revalves on to the next buyer of your bike after you sold it. Their customer service is second to none

Ditto on their customer service. I use FC on every bike I buy. I weigh 153, so any bike I get needs lighter springs.
I send them my suspension before I ride it for the first time.

Plus, if it's not right they'll make it right.

|

12/25/2017 8:11 AM

No disrespect to TBT, but FC has unlimited resources in comparison. Enzo as mentioned is also a good company that has done some R&D on the KYB suspension. I've used both Enzo & FC with good results.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/25/2017 8:21 AM

In my experience whichever one is going to give you the most "hands on" help will be the best.

If one of them is willing to go to the track and let you ride a setting and then make adjustments accordingly until it's just right for you...go with that one.

|

12/25/2017 11:28 AM

LungButter wrote:

In my experience whichever one is going to give you the most "hands on" help will be the best.

If one of them is willing to go to the track and let you ride a setting and then make adjustments accordingly until it's just right for you...go with that one.

That's a lot of the benefit of TBT…they're literally minutes away in my small city, and I have the number for the guy who will be doing the work, and his dad works at a shop that's on location where I ride every week.

|

12/25/2017 11:31 AM

Jabroni wrote:

KYB? ...go Enzo

Showa? ...go with FC

WP ...go with FC (all of WP's official dealers get the factory tested settings data which is AWESOME, so you're picking customer service and FC, as mentioned, is 2nd to none)

Go with the guys that do a LOT of testing on a specific brand or specialize in certain areas. For example, everyone LOVES the WP kit cone valve forks & trax shock. Im convinced that has less to do with the technology and more to do with the fact that WP did all the testing for that kit in house and then made the data available to all the dealers. There is no guesswork. Customers are getting near perfect settings and thus are VERY happy. In-house testing for a single brand of bike is going to yield some pretty good results.

Whereas your typical suspension shop couldnt possibly do enough testing to have all the data necessary to take care of everyone's needs. You got a Suzuki that you put WP suspension on? How many companies out there have really put the time in to test that setup, and just happened to have developed settings for your exact weight and skill level. It's asking too much imo.

FC does a lot of testing on a lot of brands, but their specialty is clearly Hondas and Showa. Plus they have their relationship with WP.

Go with a company that specializes in the brand of bike/suspension combo that you have. I think that sets you up for the best success.

KYB, but I'm lucky enough to currently live where two of their competitors have shops, so I don't think Enzo is worth considering too strongly.

Your comments about data and this thread's opinion of Factory Connection's customer service is making me lean that way. Though see my previous post for why I was previously leaning TBT.

|

12/25/2017 11:33 AM

bsharkey wrote:

Details on this?

|

12/25/2017 11:47 AM

LungButter wrote:

abomination wrote:

That's a lot of the benefit of TBT…they're literally minutes away in my small city, and I have the number for the guy who will be doing the work, and his dad works at a shop that's on location where I ride every week.

If it were apples to apples, meaning sending it out in the mail, I would do FC all day long as they do have outstanding customer service.

That being said... I would choose the shop that is only minutes from where I live (as you do) because there's nothing like a face to face to convey your needs. Iv'e had a couple of friends that have used TBT with great success.

Good luck with whatever you decidewink

|

12/25/2017 12:33 PM

Jeff Knight at Maximum Performance OK. 580-603-2752

|

12/25/2017 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 1:39 PM

I've read ridden a new yz450f setup by TBT in Ok. It was very dialed for me. I spent about an hour on the bike. It was enough to convince me to give them a shot at my next Yamaha.

|

12/25/2017 1:40 PM

LungButter wrote:

abomination wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

If it were apples to apples, meaning sending it out in the mail, I would do FC all day long as they do have outstanding customer service.

That being said... I would choose the shop that is only minutes from where I live (as you do) because there's nothing like a face to face to convey your needs. Iv'e had a couple of friends that have used TBT with great success.

Good luck with whatever you decidewink

Meant to add that Factory Connection is only 40 minutes, so while less convenient, totally doable. I need to check the site again—kind of read like everything gets sent to NH but that would make their turnaround time unachievable.

|

12/25/2017 1:53 PM

No, your stuff will be done in Socal. There main office is in NH where they receive most of there calls, and do most of there R&D. If there only 40 minutes from where you live, Id'e go there in a heart beat. Looks to me, that you have both options ideal, in that there both close to you. I send my stuff from Sac area on Monday to FC, and have it back in my hands by Friday. Not to shabby!

|

12/25/2017 3:49 PM

bsharkey wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:

Ditto on their customer service. I use FC on every bike I buy. I weigh 153, so any bike I get needs lighter springs.
I send them my suspension before I ride it for the first time.

Plus, if it's not right they'll make it right.

Not to mention I've heard several suspension places tell me they love to get their hands on any customer of theirs that has Factory Connection stuff because Factory Connection has the resources to do things most suspension companies can't they learn a lot by taking apart their suspension

|

12/26/2017 10:50 PM

abomination wrote:

Jabroni wrote:

KYB? ...go Enzo

Showa? ...go with FC

abomination wrote:

KYB, but I'm lucky enough to currently live where two of their competitors have shops, so I don't think Enzo is worth considering too strongly.

Your comments about data and this thread's opinion of Factory Connection's customer service is making me lean that way. Though see my previous post for why I was previously leaning TBT.

A lot of guys are suggesting go with the local guy that will spend time with you at the track. Well, my rebuttal to that is: why would you go with the company that needs to use you as their R&D?

I mean, there is nothing wrong with it. And you'll enjoy the time spent with them at the track.

But you can save yourself the headache and go with the company that has already done the testing and can get it right for you the first time. That is why the WP A-kit stuff is so popular. You're getting near perfect settings that were developed at the factory. No guesswork.

When I had a Honda/Showa? FC was the no-brainer choice for me. I was happy as could be. They never needed to go to the track with me.

You own KYB suspension? I strongly suggest going with Enzo.

|

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

12/27/2017 5:29 AM

I traded a YZ250F to a guy for an older YZ250 Two Stroke a few years ago and he had TBT North Carolina spring/revalve the suspension for me. It was pretty decent and it was awesome being able to talk to the guy who did the work and drop the suspension off if needed for re-work.

With that said I'm going to have Factory Connection revalve my 2017 KTM 350 SXF this spring. You can't beat their resources and I've sent them emails over the years regarding suspension set up and recommendations and they've always responded.

|

12/27/2017 7:05 AM

Jabroni wrote:

A lot of guys are suggesting go with the local guy that will spend time with you at the track. Well, my rebuttal to that is: why would you go with the company that needs to use you as their R&D?

I mean, there is nothing wrong with it. And you'll enjoy the time spent with them at the track.

But you can save yourself the headache and go with the company that has already done the testing and can get it right for you the first time. That is why the WP A-kit stuff is so popular. You're getting near perfect settings that were developed at the factory. No guesswork.

When I had a Honda/Showa? FC was the no-brainer choice for me. I was happy as could be. They never needed to go to the track with me.

Just as note: FC...RaceTech...and Powerband swap the settings provided in most of the WP kit stuff before it's sold to the public.

|

12/27/2017 9:10 AM

Everyone knows FC is good but I'm still going to recommend TBT. They're more well known for their off-road setups than their motocross stuff but they know what they're doing. I just had my bike setup for moto using a weird combo of Showa forks and a KYB shock and Travis got it dialed in perfect.
OP, if TBT is close by I say give em a shot.

|

12/28/2017 1:03 PM

abomination wrote:

Jabroni wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Just as note: FC...RaceTech...and Powerband swap the settings provided in most of the WP kit stuff before it's sold to the public.

I tried alluding to it, but I wasnt clear enough... yes, they swap the settings because all of the dealers received the settings that were developed by WP & KTM in-house.

That is why the WP A-kit stuff works so damn well. No guesswork. WP really helped out all their dealers by making their R&D available. It's made for a very happy customer.

I wonder if it will ever force KYB or Showa to do the same. Leaving the R&D up to the dealers hasn't worked. Properly set-up B-kit stuff will perform better than A-kit that isnt set up right.

|