T. Hahn vs. Matthes

ts.p311
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 11:35am
Anybody know why they dislike each other so much?
|
Crush
5/27/2015 12:00am
Because Matthes isn't scared to call a shovel a fucking shovel.
ChrisMX767
5/27/2015 12:07am
Crush wrote:
Because Matthes isn't scared to call a shovel a fucking shovel.
BOOM! Dig it, son!
ts.p311
5/27/2015 12:23am
Tommy does come off as a rather bitter, defensive individual. Maybe Im way off, but that's how he comes across to me.
ChrisMX767
5/27/2015 12:33am
ts.p311 wrote:
Tommy does come off as a rather bitter, defensive individual. Maybe Im way off, but that's how he comes across to me.
Dont know him from any other Joe Blow walking down the street. I dont know if he's getting paid to ride right now but for his career mainly, he got paid to race and compete to win. His personality off the track is his business BUUUUT I agree. Always came off d-bagish to me. Funny because it's the complete opposite of his brother Wil, who seems to love his job dispite all his recent terrible wrecks. I guess that's it, at least to me, Tommy didnt seem to enjoy being out there. I really enjoyed watching him on the Zook in 2009 though, think he won Steel City. Bike had a great look, color sheme and he had some boss One Industries gear. That's the last year he really impressed me much tbh

The Shop

Crush
5/27/2015 1:09am
I honestly don't care if a rider is a dick, if they're sour or they're cool as crap, that's their choice... And it's also inconsequential to anything except personal opinions... But if you're gonna be in a sport where you have a public profile, and it's a competition, you've gotta accept the media may write you suck if you suck. If you suck and you have a reason, and you aren't making the reason public, that's on you also. The way a lot of riders carry on in Mx regarding media is pretty ordinary and most don't figure it out till late in their careers... The comments RC has made to DC about dropping him etc is a good example. Douche.
Feldspar
5/27/2015 4:18am
I don't know if this was the cause but I think it was last year at the Vegas SX when the in stadium announcer said prior to the main event that anyone can win. Matthes tweeted something saying no not anyone can win, for example Chris Blose can't win. He wasn't singling Blose out he just used him as an example. Well Tommy Hahn didn't take the tweet well regarding his buddy Blose and had some choice comments to Matthes. Another person that sided with Blose was Mike Mason who used to be on Pulpmx. To me this was a blessing in disguise because Mason stopped being on the show and Chris Keefer started coming on instead. Mason was aweful on the show. He added nothing regarding MX or SX. I recall Matthes asking him for his input on several topics and he seemed clueless like he didn't even follow racing. He mainly talked about getting up at 11 AM each day to play Call of Duty and drink beers. Keefer has been a great co-host to the show.

At least this is how I remember the story. Maybe Matthes can chime in to see if I am accurate or not.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/27/2015 4:58am
Not everybody has to like everybody.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/27/2015 5:03am
Does what you hear on the pulpmx show change your opinion on people?

Like do you not like RC anymore because Steve and him don't like each other? Hahn, Mason, Sleeter... It doesn't really matter to me. I still like RC, he kicked ass as a racer, I met him once and he took a pic with my kid once. I can be a dick too sometimes. Nobody is perfect.
wreckitrandy
5/27/2015 5:48am
Ramrod wrote:
Does what you hear on the pulpmx show change your opinion on people? Like do you not like RC anymore because Steve and him don't like...

Like do you not like RC anymore because Steve and him don't like each other? Hahn, Mason, Sleeter... It doesn't really matter to me. I still like RC, he kicked ass as a racer, I met him once and he took a pic with my kid once. I can be a dick too sometimes. Nobody is perfect.
Tell it.
Crush
5/27/2015 6:02am
Ramrod wrote:
Does what you hear on the pulpmx show change your opinion on people? Like do you not like RC anymore because Steve and him don't like...

RC was a great rider, but he always came off as a dick to me. His interviews pre-suzuki were bullshit, especially his days vs Windham in 125s, holy cow. But that's ok.... he can be a dick all he likes, just as anyone can think he's great or not. And you're right, no one is perfect. But the carry on talking about Steve shouldn't have a job at RX and all that sort of shit is fucking lame to say the least....

The one constant in all of the riders who don't like Matthes is they got butt-hurt when he said they weren't riding well–when they weren't... OR in RC's case, he told the story that RC acted crazy and threatened to shoot him–which he did.

mxer512
5/27/2015 6:03am
Idk it seems like to me after his "comeback" I say that loosely. His attitude has seemed better and he knows what his goals are for himself. Maybe it's maturity or maybe he just doesn't have as much pressure. I saw him at Houston sx this year and he came out and had a chat.He seemed genuinely glad a fan wanted to talk and not shitty about having to get out of the rig. Although yes, I am partial to the Hahn Bros (being from kansas)I have not really personally met either of them until Houston when I met Tommy. Super chill ,super nice. Talked track and bike setup and how practice went, shook hands wished him a good race and that was it.
mxb2
5/27/2015 6:12am
Some jobs require media, fan attention and opinions good and bad, if you dont like it, get another job.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/27/2015 7:26am
Ramrod wrote:

Yes, sometimes.

This sport is so guarded that sometimes you only get to know what a person is really like when others tell stories (good and bad). More than anything it has confirmed my suspicion about some riders but yeah.

I used to not really care for Joey Savatgy, thought he was another one of those kids who's more about flash and style than speed, but after his interview I think he's a pretty solid kid. Similar story but the other way around with RC. I met him a few times and he seemed fine, not as nice as some other riders but fine. But after hearing him talking on the broadcast and years of hearing stories, not just from Matthes but others, I think he's kind of a dick. I used to really dislike RV as well, but the stories others have told about him make me realize that he's just super focused. Still not my favorite rider, but yes it did change my opinion about him.

I still respect him RC tremendously for his abilities on a bike, but abilities on a bike only matter for a few years. After that what matters is who you are as a person, and that's what really drives me to cheer for a guy or not.
5/27/2015 7:28am
i would love to go back and have there so called "shitty job" these motocrossers get to live! lol
Sandberm
5/27/2015 7:40am
Feldspar wrote:
I don't know if this was the cause but I think it was last year at the Vegas SX when the in stadium announcer said prior...
I don't know if this was the cause but I think it was last year at the Vegas SX when the in stadium announcer said prior to the main event that anyone can win. Matthes tweeted something saying no not anyone can win, for example Chris Blose can't win. He wasn't singling Blose out he just used him as an example. Well Tommy Hahn didn't take the tweet well regarding his buddy Blose and had some choice comments to Matthes. Another person that sided with Blose was Mike Mason who used to be on Pulpmx. To me this was a blessing in disguise because Mason stopped being on the show and Chris Keefer started coming on instead. Mason was aweful on the show. He added nothing regarding MX or SX. I recall Matthes asking him for his input on several topics and he seemed clueless like he didn't even follow racing. He mainly talked about getting up at 11 AM each day to play Call of Duty and drink beers. Keefer has been a great co-host to the show.

At least this is how I remember the story. Maybe Matthes can chime in to see if I am accurate or not.
Thats about word for word how I remember it too. And I agree with the Mike Mason part too. Glad to see him off the show.

I dont care if some riders dislike Steve. I dont think he does either.
Dtat720
5/27/2015 7:54am
Ramrod wrote:

TriRacer27 wrote:
Yes, sometimes. This sport is so guarded that sometimes you only get to know what a person is really like when others tell stories (good and...
Yes, sometimes.

This sport is so guarded that sometimes you only get to know what a person is really like when others tell stories (good and bad). More than anything it has confirmed my suspicion about some riders but yeah.

I used to not really care for Joey Savatgy, thought he was another one of those kids who's more about flash and style than speed, but after his interview I think he's a pretty solid kid. Similar story but the other way around with RC. I met him a few times and he seemed fine, not as nice as some other riders but fine. But after hearing him talking on the broadcast and years of hearing stories, not just from Matthes but others, I think he's kind of a dick. I used to really dislike RV as well, but the stories others have told about him make me realize that he's just super focused. Still not my favorite rider, but yes it did change my opinion about him.

I still respect him RC tremendously for his abilities on a bike, but abilities on a bike only matter for a few years. After that what matters is who you are as a person, and that's what really drives me to cheer for a guy or not.
You should go have a few beers in Destin with RC and Ursala. Down in the warf, drink till the sun comes up and laugh your tail off. They are hillarious and completely down to earth people. RC is actually a bit of a prankster.
johnnybgood
5/27/2015 7:55am
Matthes is absolutely the best thing to happen to mx media. His content is outstanding.

That being said, I feel that a lot of people get caught up in the gospel of matthes. He has his biases like everybody else. People aren't bad or good because he says they are bad or good.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/27/2015 8:17am
Dtat720 wrote:
You should go have a few beers in Destin with RC and Ursala. Down in the warf, drink till the sun comes up and laugh your...
You should go have a few beers in Destin with RC and Ursala. Down in the warf, drink till the sun comes up and laugh your tail off. They are hillarious and completely down to earth people. RC is actually a bit of a prankster.
Yeah, maybe, probably.

But the question was if shows like Pulp ever influence my opinion about a rider. Of course they do, just like if someone came on here and told a story about their experience hanging out with RC that proved he wasn't like what everyone else says.

As a normal (non-insider) fan, all we get to know the riders by is their interviews and 2nd hand stories from others.

The only thing we can do, that I try to stick to, is to not judge a rider by any single story or incident. Everyone blows up at some point or has a bad day. But when you hear the same stories over and over from multiple points, that's when you can be pretty confident about it. Much of the reason why I don't like RC anymore is from what he has said himself while on the broadcasts. He takes every opportunity he can to discredit Dungey's championship because his rider wasn't out there, he has this feeling of superiority over Emig and Ralph that was funny for about a week and then got annoying, and he just can't seem to hide his ego any time he talks. Like I said before, the stories from Pulp really only confirm my suspicion about him that he's kind of a dick. I'm sure he's cool to his friends, but if you're only cool to the people you like I still won't think highly of you, even if I'm on the list of people you like. So even if RC was cool with me, the way he seems to treat others is off putting.

I hope to someday be proven wrong about this, but it doesn't seem too likely at the moment.
hammertime
5/27/2015 8:28am
i here from a good source that tommy takes issue with matthes saying "riiiiiight, riiiiight, riiiiight" every few minutes.
davistld01
5/27/2015 8:30am
mxb2 wrote:
Some jobs require media, fan attention and opinions good and bad, if you dont like it, get another job.
Boom.

As small as the sport of SX/MX on the world market...and as hard as it is to get good sponsors to back it, and as much as most sponsors like to be well represented by those they sponsor in the media...you'd think riders would get a freaking clue and at least put on a smiley face when dealing with the press and/or media. Acting like a douchebag diva doesn't cut it. I mean, if you're just an arrogant jerk by nature, you can fake it when the cameras are on you, and a microphone is shoved in your face. If you can't...start a riding school or become a trainer, cuz you're not cut out to be a professional athlete.
Grieby54
5/27/2015 8:35am
Dtat720 wrote:
You should go have a few beers in Destin with RC and Ursala. Down in the warf, drink till the sun comes up and laugh your...
TriRacer27 wrote:
Yeah, maybe, probably. But the question was if shows like Pulp ever influence my opinion about a rider. Of course they do, just like if someone...
Yeah, maybe, probably.

But the question was if shows like Pulp ever influence my opinion about a rider. Of course they do, just like if someone came on here and told a story about their experience hanging out with RC that proved he wasn't like what everyone else says.

As a normal (non-insider) fan, all we get to know the riders by is their interviews and 2nd hand stories from others.

The only thing we can do, that I try to stick to, is to not judge a rider by any single story or incident. Everyone blows up at some point or has a bad day. But when you hear the same stories over and over from multiple points, that's when you can be pretty confident about it. Much of the reason why I don't like RC anymore is from what he has said himself while on the broadcasts. He takes every opportunity he can to discredit Dungey's championship because his rider wasn't out there, he has this feeling of superiority over Emig and Ralph that was funny for about a week and then got annoying, and he just can't seem to hide his ego any time he talks. Like I said before, the stories from Pulp really only confirm my suspicion about him that he's kind of a dick. I'm sure he's cool to his friends, but if you're only cool to the people you like I still won't think highly of you, even if I'm on the list of people you like. So even if RC was cool with me, the way he seems to treat others is off putting.

I hope to someday be proven wrong about this, but it doesn't seem too likely at the moment.
Agreed. However, I think to be at the level that RC and RV have reached in the sport, your ego has to fill the entire stadium. You have to have that level of confidence in yourself to go out and dominate the way those guys did. Even MC has issue with RC being called the GOAT because MC still feels like he was the better SX rider and in order to be the GOAT you have to be the greatest in both disciplines. This shows that MC, a pretty laid back guy, still has a bit of an ego when it comes to some things.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/27/2015 8:39am
Grieby54 wrote:
Agreed. However, I think to be at the level that RC and RV have reached in the sport, your ego has to fill the entire stadium...
Agreed. However, I think to be at the level that RC and RV have reached in the sport, your ego has to fill the entire stadium. You have to have that level of confidence in yourself to go out and dominate the way those guys did. Even MC has issue with RC being called the GOAT because MC still feels like he was the better SX rider and in order to be the GOAT you have to be the greatest in both disciplines. This shows that MC, a pretty laid back guy, still has a bit of an ego when it comes to some things.
I normally don't like dominant riders because I like underdogs however, I kinda liked how RC acted. If he lost, he would lose his mind, then comeback and kill it. Shows how determined he was. Lots of different personalities in mx, it's great.
5/27/2015 8:50am
mxer512 wrote:
Idk it seems like to me after his "comeback" I say that loosely. His attitude has seemed better and he knows what his goals are for...
Idk it seems like to me after his "comeback" I say that loosely. His attitude has seemed better and he knows what his goals are for himself. Maybe it's maturity or maybe he just doesn't have as much pressure. I saw him at Houston sx this year and he came out and had a chat.He seemed genuinely glad a fan wanted to talk and not shitty about having to get out of the rig. Although yes, I am partial to the Hahn Bros (being from kansas)I have not really personally met either of them until Houston when I met Tommy. Super chill ,super nice. Talked track and bike setup and how practice went, shook hands wished him a good race and that was it.
Maturity would be burying the hatchet with Steve and coming on the show. I never thought I'd live long enough to say this, but look at Hanny. He became a bigger man when he put the petty bullshit behind him and came on to the show after years of conflict. A professional will do the interview to increase visibility for himself and sponsors, current or future. If Tommy wants to mature, he should start acting like a man and face the show - not on Twitter, either. Many have even come on to the show to take their shots, like Josh Hill, Wilbur at times, Peick and many others, I am sure, so he could even take that road if he chose. Dungey has been on the show a few times this year: I don't think he enjoys it, but he's become a better man and representative of his brands by being mature enough to do it. He has matured - I don't think Tommy has become Tom myself.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/27/2015 9:01am
Maturity would be burying the hatchet with Steve and coming on the show. I never thought I'd live long enough to say this, but look at...
Maturity would be burying the hatchet with Steve and coming on the show. I never thought I'd live long enough to say this, but look at Hanny. He became a bigger man when he put the petty bullshit behind him and came on to the show after years of conflict. A professional will do the interview to increase visibility for himself and sponsors, current or future. If Tommy wants to mature, he should start acting like a man and face the show - not on Twitter, either. Many have even come on to the show to take their shots, like Josh Hill, Wilbur at times, Peick and many others, I am sure, so he could even take that road if he chose. Dungey has been on the show a few times this year: I don't think he enjoys it, but he's become a better man and representative of his brands by being mature enough to do it. He has matured - I don't think Tommy has become Tom myself.
Valid points man.

Life is too short to burn bridges.

Good for Hansen.
Dtat720
5/27/2015 9:01am
Dtat720 wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
Yeah, maybe, probably. But the question was if shows like Pulp ever influence my opinion about a rider. Of course they do, just like if someone...
Yeah, maybe, probably.

You have to think about the context of it. He is the "goat" and all champions have an ego. Dungy is a formidable threat to his records wether anyone wants to believe or not, Ricky knows it. Every title he has, is threat to his mark. Hes markin his territory lol
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/27/2015 9:38am
Grieby54 wrote:
Agreed. However, I think to be at the level that RC and RV have reached in the sport, your ego has to fill the entire stadium...
I get it while the guys are racing. They have to protect their mental edge. I get it.

But the guy is retired and has been for years. His ego won't let him give Dungey the credit he deserves just because his rider got beat, and his rider somehow reflects on him. It's sad and petty.
h&m_cycle
5/27/2015 9:50am
This whole topic is in a good movie called "all most famous" about a young reporter sent by Rolling Stone Magazine to
cover a rising rock band. It came down to whether the young reporter was " A FAN", or "The Enemy".

Matthes is both, & is going to piss riders off @ times.

2 minute 40 second clip

https://youtu.be/HpISLkb5L5E
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/27/2015 10:08am
Grieby54 wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
I get it while the guys are racing. They have to protect their mental edge. I get it. But the guy is retired and has been...
I get it while the guys are racing. They have to protect their mental edge. I get it.

But the guy is retired and has been for years. His ego won't let him give Dungey the credit he deserves just because his rider got beat, and his rider somehow reflects on him. It's sad and petty.
I had the chance to spend all last week with Ricky, he gave Dungey quite a bit of praise while we were bench racing. Nothing but good things to say about him and how he approaches racing.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/27/2015 10:16am
ML512 wrote:
I had the chance to spend all last week with Ricky, he gave Dungey quite a bit of praise while we were bench racing. Nothing but...
I had the chance to spend all last week with Ricky, he gave Dungey quite a bit of praise while we were bench racing. Nothing but good things to say about him and how he approaches racing.
Like I said earlier, most of us don't get a chance to actually talk to the riders ourselves. He doesn't seem to think that way on the broadcasts so if he says one thing in private and another in public, how are we to know?

Post a reply to: T. Hahn vs. Matthes

The Latest