Sx needs a grid start

Indy mxer
2/19/2018 6:08am
DonM wrote:
The GP's have tried to favor the inside gate by angling the starting gates so the fastest qualifier would always line up in gate 1 and...
The GP's have tried to favor the inside gate by angling the starting gates so the fastest qualifier would always line up in gate 1 and the next would line up in gate two ect...it made the starts way to predictable and caused some run away boring racing. In recent years you have seen them move away from that as the top qualifiers are choosing more random starting spots and guess what the racing is more exciting because the top qualifier doesn't have a big advantage on the start...just go back to last years Italian GP and watch the best comeback from Tony that you will ever see.

By giving the top qualifier a big advantage you will cause the racing to be follow the leader racing with very little passing.
The unpredictable nature of the first turn is what makes and help sets up some great racing...How many times have you thought to yourself "I hope the top guy gets a bad start"? Why do you want that?...so you can see some great racing as he comes through the pack.

You will never make the perfect race by trying to manipulate outcome with rule changes...

The carnage that happened last weekend is rare compared to either a first turn tip-overs or a few guys run ride that we typically see.
I guess we're not watching the same races? Saturdays 450 main was not that exciting. imo
And as far as good riders getting taken out in the first turn being rare? It happened to Tomac just last week.

Plus, I'm not saying give one rider an advantage. Just do something to get the fastest out together and let them battle it out.
Again, I think SX is too start dependent.

Comparing MX GP to SX is apples and oranges. Not many places to pass and much shorter.

A good holeshot is 80% of SX.
tingo
2/19/2018 6:41am
Indy mxer wrote:
I see what your saying but I don't think that makes a big difference. They all use a start device. My question is simple. Why does...
I see what your saying but I don't think that makes a big difference. They all use a start device.

My question is simple. Why does a rider who's lap times are 5 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier, get to line up even with him? And in some cases next to him?

What's the point of qualifying?
To me starting all 22 even up just doesn't make sense anymore.
We all want better racing, so lets try something different.

"My question is simple. Why does a rider who's lap times are 5 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier, get to line up even with him? And in some cases next to him?"

The answer is equally simple: because those be the rules. And IMO, the only change I'd like to see is to ditch the grates and go back to dirt. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"What's the point of qualifying?"
To have the opportunity to line up on the gate for the main and earn points for the championship (and enough purse money to buy cheap pizza for the whole crew.)

The start format for SX makes things incredibly exciting from the second the gate drops. Sometimes that results in the top guy getting the holeshot and checking out (like Tomac this past weekend - and how in the hell does THAT make for "better racing"?) and/or absolute carnage (Davalos this past weekend). It can and does go both ways - chanceability at its finest. If the goal is to get the top qualifiers out front as you and YZ133rider prefer, forget about holeshot devices, grates, grids, and all that mess and just put damn pace bike out there to lead the pack around single file for a lap before pulling off and letting them race.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 7:41am
Indy mxer wrote:
I see what your saying but I don't think that makes a big difference. They all use a start device. My question is simple. Why does...
I see what your saying but I don't think that makes a big difference. They all use a start device.

My question is simple. Why does a rider who's lap times are 5 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier, get to line up even with him? And in some cases next to him?

What's the point of qualifying?
To me starting all 22 even up just doesn't make sense anymore.
We all want better racing, so lets try something different.

tingo wrote:
"My question is simple. Why does a rider who's lap times are 5 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier, get to line up even with him...
"My question is simple. Why does a rider who's lap times are 5 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier, get to line up even with him? And in some cases next to him?"

The answer is equally simple: because those be the rules. And IMO, the only change I'd like to see is to ditch the grates and go back to dirt. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"What's the point of qualifying?"
To have the opportunity to line up on the gate for the main and earn points for the championship (and enough purse money to buy cheap pizza for the whole crew.)

The start format for SX makes things incredibly exciting from the second the gate drops. Sometimes that results in the top guy getting the holeshot and checking out (like Tomac this past weekend - and how in the hell does THAT make for "better racing"?) and/or absolute carnage (Davalos this past weekend). It can and does go both ways - chanceability at its finest. If the goal is to get the top qualifiers out front as you and YZ133rider prefer, forget about holeshot devices, grates, grids, and all that mess and just put damn pace bike out there to lead the pack around single file for a lap before pulling off and letting them race.
You literally admitted how boring the race was because tomac nailed the start and checked out. Meanwhile nobody else nailed the start and wasnt there to battle him. Had ando been second i guarantee you there would have been fireworks. But no, he was behind some perennial 15th place guys im sure.

And tomac getting taken out last week at the first turn destroying any title race makes it fun?

KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
2/19/2018 8:08am
yz133rider wrote:
You literally admitted how boring the race was because tomac nailed the start and checked out. Meanwhile nobody else nailed the start and wasnt there to...
You literally admitted how boring the race was because tomac nailed the start and checked out. Meanwhile nobody else nailed the start and wasnt there to battle him. Had ando been second i guarantee you there would have been fireworks. But no, he was behind some perennial 15th place guys im sure.

And tomac getting taken out last week at the first turn destroying any title race makes it fun?

Anderson was right behind Tomac in turn 1.

Tomac followed by Anderson, Baggett, Musquin, Seely, Webb, Pieck and Wilson. That's the top 8 basically in order. The only change to the final results was because Anderson tipped over. Dallas was basically a grid start formation coming out of turn 2 and it was a boring 450 main.

The current system isnt perfect, but when the fastest guy gets the holeshot in any type of racing it makes for a boring race. People want passing and uncertainty, that fills the seats and keeps people glued to the TV.

The Shop

yz133rider
2/19/2018 8:15am
yz133rider wrote:
You literally admitted how boring the race was because tomac nailed the start and checked out. Meanwhile nobody else nailed the start and wasnt there to...

Anderson was right behind Tomac in turn 1. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/19/244814/s1200_IMG_0543.jpg[/img] Tomac followed by Anderson, Baggett, Musquin, Seely, Webb, Pieck and Wilson. That's the top 8 basically in...
Anderson was right behind Tomac in turn 1.

Tomac followed by Anderson, Baggett, Musquin, Seely, Webb, Pieck and Wilson. That's the top 8 basically in order. The only change to the final results was because Anderson tipped over. Dallas was basically a grid start formation coming out of turn 2 and it was a boring 450 main.

The current system isnt perfect, but when the fastest guy gets the holeshot in any type of racing it makes for a boring race. People want passing and uncertainty, that fills the seats and keeps people glued to the TV.
Then the two rows of 11 is the best compromise id say. Getting the lappers out of the mix of the first turn needs to be done
tingo
2/19/2018 8:19am
yz133rider wrote:

Kirk beat me to it, but damn man, did you even watch the race? You can't battle the fastest guy if you can't catch him (you know, because he's the fastest), and you can't catch the fastest guy if you put him in front of everyone at the start. If you want good racing, this stupid grid idea is a horrible place to start. And that folks, is surely to be my pun of the week.

New rule: any thread that starts with "SX needs..." should go straight to the dumbgeon.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 8:22am
aees wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2-rows-of-start-gates-like-in-arena-cross-for-sx,1334536 I think we need to have 2 rows like in Arenacross, and then plan the first section to be without triples and obstacles that you...
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2-rows-of-start-gates-li…

I think we need to have 2 rows like in Arenacross, and then plan the first section to be without triples and obstacles that you cant pass on and loose a lot of time if you cant jump it.

Also go back to dirt starts and shorten the start straights.

1. Shorten the start straights (less speed going into first turn)
2. Plan track after first turn better (this week "S" was good, but a bit easier combos for following straight, less airtime)
3. Go back to dirt starts
4. Ban start assistant devices

If the above does not work, then: 2 row starts (fastests in front row).
2 rows i like.
1st point jason thomas says longer straught help givr them time to seperate so the jury is out on that one i guess.
2. Agreed. Thought needs to be put into the first couple sections give them time to seperate before the inssne rhythms.
3. No real opinion on that one. Does seem kind of weird to me to use the metal grates but not sure its hurting anything as everyone has to use it.
4. Im ok with that. Everyone uses them so its a must and its a pointless expense at that point.

Formula 1 was better racing when the cars had no driver aids, fully manual, and diffucilt to drive. Sliding sideway, missing shifts, wheelspin, lock ups, all were part of making a fast lap. Mistakes pushing the edge lead to time gained and lost and imagine that, passing!

Sx is going the same way with 4 strokes being so smooth and forgiving. Now with advanced traction control and mapping they are helping more than ever.

So i guess i do agree taking away some starting devices would help, but how far can they go? Locking ecus so no special startibg maps and tc?
Donovan759
2/19/2018 8:27am
Rather than grid starts why don't they just make each individual gate drop at random like a lottery.
Every .5 seconds another gate drops... Wink

Leave it all up to chance and give everyone a trophy at the end of the night. Whistling
yz133rider
2/19/2018 8:32am
Donovan759 wrote:
Rather than grid starts why don't they just make each individual gate drop at random like a lottery. Every .5 seconds another gate drops... ;) Leave...
Rather than grid starts why don't they just make each individual gate drop at random like a lottery.

Leave it all up to chance and give everyone a trophy at the end of the night. Whistling
Honestly thats more like how it is now. Its completely up to chance if you even make it thru the turn thru no fault of your own.
BobPA
2/19/2018 8:40am
Donovan759 wrote:
Rather than grid starts why don't they just make each individual gate drop at random like a lottery. Every .5 seconds another gate drops... ;) Leave...

yz133rider wrote:
Honestly thats more like how it is now. Its completely up to chance if you even make it thru the turn thru no fault of your...
Honestly thats more like how it is now. Its completely up to chance if you even make it thru the turn thru no fault of your own.
You are trying to fix something that is not broke. Give it up.
BAMX
2/19/2018 8:46am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 8:46am
Donovan759 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Honestly thats more like how it is now. Its completely up to chance if you even make it thru the turn thru no fault of your...
BobPA wrote:
You are trying to fix something that is not broke. Give it up.
The more we change things to to try to manipulate the realities of racing, the further we go from a sport that is worth watching. Anyone who watched the Daytona 500 knows that changing the racing to create fake drama only gives you fake racing.
aees
2/19/2018 11:16am
aees wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2-rows-of-start-gates-like-in-arena-cross-for-sx,1334536 I think we need to have 2 rows like in Arenacross, and then plan the first section to be without triples and obstacles that you...
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2-rows-of-start-gates-li…

I think we need to have 2 rows like in Arenacross, and then plan the first section to be without triples and obstacles that you cant pass on and loose a lot of time if you cant jump it.

Also go back to dirt starts and shorten the start straights.

1. Shorten the start straights (less speed going into first turn)
2. Plan track after first turn better (this week "S" was good, but a bit easier combos for following straight, less airtime)
3. Go back to dirt starts
4. Ban start assistant devices

If the above does not work, then: 2 row starts (fastests in front row).
yz133rider wrote:
2 rows i like. 1st point jason thomas says longer straught help givr them time to seperate so the jury is out on that one i...
2 rows i like.
1st point jason thomas says longer straught help givr them time to seperate so the jury is out on that one i guess.
2. Agreed. Thought needs to be put into the first couple sections give them time to seperate before the inssne rhythms.
3. No real opinion on that one. Does seem kind of weird to me to use the metal grates but not sure its hurting anything as everyone has to use it.
4. Im ok with that. Everyone uses them so its a must and its a pointless expense at that point.

Formula 1 was better racing when the cars had no driver aids, fully manual, and diffucilt to drive. Sliding sideway, missing shifts, wheelspin, lock ups, all were part of making a fast lap. Mistakes pushing the edge lead to time gained and lost and imagine that, passing!

Sx is going the same way with 4 strokes being so smooth and forgiving. Now with advanced traction control and mapping they are helping more than ever.

So i guess i do agree taking away some starting devices would help, but how far can they go? Locking ecus so no special startibg maps and tc?
Longer start straits only works if everybody is not over the gate at the same time. Now it feels like you need to be the last one of turn of the throttle to get a holeshot. Basically you have time to compensate for a bad gate drop with just holding on a bit longer.

Tomac stod out a bit though this weekend, great gate drop.

It is easier to judge and stop a bike going a bit slower. If the start this weekend had been 70% of what it was, im pretty sure they would have been able to escape the first turn pile up in 250s.

Taking away electronics for launch control + possibly banning holeshot devices and going back to dirt starts leaves more for the rider to handle.
DonM
2/19/2018 3:15pm
DonM wrote:
The GP's have tried to favor the inside gate by angling the starting gates so the fastest qualifier would always line up in gate 1 and...
The GP's have tried to favor the inside gate by angling the starting gates so the fastest qualifier would always line up in gate 1 and the next would line up in gate two ect...it made the starts way to predictable and caused some run away boring racing. In recent years you have seen them move away from that as the top qualifiers are choosing more random starting spots and guess what the racing is more exciting because the top qualifier doesn't have a big advantage on the start...just go back to last years Italian GP and watch the best comeback from Tony that you will ever see.

By giving the top qualifier a big advantage you will cause the racing to be follow the leader racing with very little passing.
The unpredictable nature of the first turn is what makes and help sets up some great racing...How many times have you thought to yourself "I hope the top guy gets a bad start"? Why do you want that?...so you can see some great racing as he comes through the pack.

You will never make the perfect race by trying to manipulate outcome with rule changes...

The carnage that happened last weekend is rare compared to either a first turn tip-overs or a few guys run ride that we typically see.
Indy mxer wrote:
I guess we're not watching the same races? Saturdays 450 main was not that exciting. imo And as far as good riders getting taken out in...
I guess we're not watching the same races? Saturdays 450 main was not that exciting. imo
And as far as good riders getting taken out in the first turn being rare? It happened to Tomac just last week.

Plus, I'm not saying give one rider an advantage. Just do something to get the fastest out together and let them battle it out.
Again, I think SX is too start dependent.

Comparing MX GP to SX is apples and oranges. Not many places to pass and much shorter.

A good holeshot is 80% of SX.
I don't think I said that Dallas was exciting..but we have had some great racing this year.

All the fastest riders did get out together in Dallas and you yourself said it was boring...

You absolutely can compare or at least learn from others mistakes...a start is a start and in the GP's when they tried to favor the faster qualifiers and almost guarantee that the top qualifiers got off to good starts together it created boring follow the leader racing on hard to pass tracks.

A good holeshot is an advantage in any race.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with changing the starts or system to unfairly favor the fastest qualifier, as others have said take away the starting aids and make the skill of starting a greater part and you will accomplish a separation off the line which in turn will not get everyone to the first turn together...remember the days when someone would get a bad jump and back off and go to the inside to hopefully cut under everyone...you don't see that anymore because now with all the aids its hard to get a bad jump.
2/19/2018 3:20pm
yz133rider wrote:
Too many races are ruined by first turn pile ups. For the 250 east guys laying on the ground before the first turn essentially theyre season...
Too many races are ruined by first turn pile ups. For the 250 east guys laying on the ground before the first turn essentially theyre season is over .
Grid start would solve this to a huge degree. It would also produce better racing by getting the top guys out together to battle for the whole race.

I like grid starts.

I like grid starts + 3 moto mains. With reverse order for motos 2 & 3 based on scoring.
kkawboy14
2/19/2018 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 3:37pm
Longer starts equal out the possibility of the holeshot coming from anywhere. The shorter the start straights narrows down where the hole shot is gonna come from.

Since their goal is to increase the chances anyone can win, I don’t see them going shorter.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 3:45pm
DonM wrote:
I don't think I said that Dallas was exciting..but we have had some great racing this year. All the fastest riders did get out together in...
I don't think I said that Dallas was exciting..but we have had some great racing this year.

All the fastest riders did get out together in Dallas and you yourself said it was boring...

You absolutely can compare or at least learn from others mistakes...a start is a start and in the GP's when they tried to favor the faster qualifiers and almost guarantee that the top qualifiers got off to good starts together it created boring follow the leader racing on hard to pass tracks.

A good holeshot is an advantage in any race.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with changing the starts or system to unfairly favor the fastest qualifier, as others have said take away the starting aids and make the skill of starting a greater part and you will accomplish a separation off the line which in turn will not get everyone to the first turn together...remember the days when someone would get a bad jump and back off and go to the inside to hopefully cut under everyone...you don't see that anymore because now with all the aids its hard to get a bad jump.
You wrote in there your against anything that would unfairly favor the fastest qualifiers. Nothing unfair about it they earned it by qualifying fastest lol.

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/19/2018 3:47pm
I like grid starts if it's inverted. Start the fast guys in the back, makes the racing better when the fast guys get a bad start.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 3:53pm
yak651 wrote:
I like grid starts if it's inverted. Start the fast guys in the back, makes the racing better when the fast guys get a bad start.
Yeah no. Not on a supercross track. Talk about insane amount of risks theyd have to take to pass a bunch of no names. No thanks. So many on here seem to have an obsession with the slower riders. If i never saw another lcq id be fine with that.

I like the triple crown better for that reason. All the fast guys in each moto no need to see the guys 5 to 10 seconds off the pace can see that talent locally.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/19/2018 3:58pm
Back with McGrath, Carmichael, even with RV the only races that weren't boring were when they got a bad start and had to work their way to the front. The problem know is the tracks are all about the "flow" so made so everyone can jump all the rhythms. Make it like some of the flashback videos they show, no flow to the track, steep abrupt obstacles that slow everything down. Amazing that one of the best races this year was the track that got rutted up, had obstacles not everyone was jumping, etc.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 4:06pm
yak651 wrote:
Back with McGrath, Carmichael, even with RV the only races that weren't boring were when they got a bad start and had to work their way...
Back with McGrath, Carmichael, even with RV the only races that weren't boring were when they got a bad start and had to work their way to the front. The problem know is the tracks are all about the "flow" so made so everyone can jump all the rhythms. Make it like some of the flashback videos they show, no flow to the track, steep abrupt obstacles that slow everything down. Amazing that one of the best races this year was the track that got rutted up, had obstacles not everyone was jumping, etc.
Thats a valid point also. And making it more difficult doesnt also have to be more dangerous
DonM
2/19/2018 4:09pm
yz133rider wrote:
You wrote in there your against anything that would unfairly favor the fastest qualifiers. Nothing unfair about it they earned it by qualifying fastest lol.

No I'm against a grid start or staggered start, it's totally unnecessary....they get first pick of the best gate...thats all the advantage they need. Get rid of all the start aids and bring skill back into starts.

After reading my post that's all you got out of it??
I'm sorry I disagree with you but it seems the majority also disagrees.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 4:20pm
yz133rider wrote:

DonM wrote:
No I'm against a grid start or staggered start, it's totally unnecessary....they get first pick of the best gate...thats all the advantage they need. Get rid...
No I'm against a grid start or staggered start, it's totally unnecessary....they get first pick of the best gate...thats all the advantage they need. Get rid of all the start aids and bring skill back into starts.

I'm aware i also knew majority would disagree before i even posted it. Mx community is very against any changes. Lots of changes need to happen. 450s gotta go also but that's another topic.
chuck317
2/19/2018 4:27pm
HD1200 wrote:
You don't know me bro! People like you kill me complaining about part of the sport that makes it what it is. It is dangerous. Always...
You don't know me bro! People like you kill me complaining about part of the sport that makes it what it is. It is dangerous. Always has been.

what is a bro?
DonM
2/19/2018 4:42pm
yz133rider wrote:

DonM wrote:
No I'm against a grid start or staggered start, it's totally unnecessary....they get first pick of the best gate...thats all the advantage they need. Get rid...

yz133rider wrote:
I'm aware i also knew majority would disagree before i even posted it. Mx community is very against any changes. Lots of changes need to happen...
I'm aware i also knew majority would disagree before i even posted it. Mx community is very against any changes. Lots of changes need to happen. 450s gotta go also but that's another topic.
Again these are just your opinion...I would also like to see 350's but it won't happen...I'm not against change we just don't need to change for change sake either. Changes need to happen in small steps not major renovation...Nascar is a perfect example, I used to watch all the time and I never watch. Why? They made so many unnecessary changes that they lost their way. I watched the Daytona 500 for the first time in probably 3yrs and was like WTF have they done? All these changes to try to get fans with short attention spans?? What the hell was this shit with 3 stages and calling someone a stage winner?? WTH is that all about? They literally eliminated pit stop strategy just so they can bunch up the field so they could have multiple wrecks because thats what they think will attract the younger fan base....it was just stupid.
And thats what I'm against making such large scale changes without any thought of long term effects...start off small eliminate start aids and see what that does...redesign first turns and start straights..but to totally think that we have to recreate the wheel because there was some over exuberant 250 riders this weekend or because Tomac got his grip caught in his teammates wheel last week is a bit of overkill
Johnny Depp
2/19/2018 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 4:46pm
Anything that makes the results more predictable is going to harm entertainment value.
Anything that changes the historic, iconic segments of the sport would never be accepted.
Anything causing consistent injuries would have to be corrected or some lawyer will be sending a letter.

The Gate is iconic.

Other solutions as already mentioned would scramble the players to prevent everyone arriving at the same time, and add some unpredictability to the results.

The mesh is the only new ingredient and is likely responsible for what we've seen this year.
I'd recommend a lottery for gate pick, as it used to be.
Indy mxer
2/19/2018 5:12pm
DonM wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
I'm aware i also knew majority would disagree before i even posted it. Mx community is very against any changes. Lots of changes need to happen...
DonM wrote:
Again these are just your opinion...I would also like to see 350's but it won't happen...I'm not against change we just don't need to change for...
Again these are just your opinion...I would also like to see 350's but it won't happen...I'm not against change we just don't need to change for change sake either. Changes need to happen in small steps not major renovation...Nascar is a perfect example, I used to watch all the time and I never watch. Why? They made so many unnecessary changes that they lost their way. I watched the Daytona 500 for the first time in probably 3yrs and was like WTF have they done? All these changes to try to get fans with short attention spans?? What the hell was this shit with 3 stages and calling someone a stage winner?? WTH is that all about? They literally eliminated pit stop strategy just so they can bunch up the field so they could have multiple wrecks because thats what they think will attract the younger fan base....it was just stupid.
And thats what I'm against making such large scale changes without any thought of long term effects...start off small eliminate start aids and see what that does...redesign first turns and start straights..but to totally think that we have to recreate the wheel because there was some over exuberant 250 riders this weekend or because Tomac got his grip caught in his teammates wheel last week is a bit of overkill
Off the subject, but you admitted you haven't followed NASCAR and haven't watched for years. I think your full of it!

Yesterdays race was one of the best Daytona 500's I've seen in a while. I've been a NASCAR fan since the first Brickyard 400.
Usually the start is good, then they cruise around for 2 hours (boring) and have a good finish.
Yesterday they were racing their asses off all day trying to get stage points, and the action was pretty much non stop.

NASCAR racing has never been better. The chase and stage racing have made the on track product much better. imo.

Oh and btw, I'm 60, and into all kinds of racing. Any change that makes the racing better, I'm for it.
So it's not just for the "younger fan". Call it what you want but I like it!

All sports evolve. Even the NFL makes changes to try and make their product better.

SX needs to do the same.
tcallahan707
2/19/2018 6:22pm
yak651 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
Yeah no. Not on a supercross track. Talk about insane amount of risks theyd have to take to pass a bunch of no names. No thanks...
Yeah no. Not on a supercross track. Talk about insane amount of risks theyd have to take to pass a bunch of no names. No thanks. So many on here seem to have an obsession with the slower riders. If i never saw another lcq id be fine with that.

I like the triple crown better for that reason. All the fast guys in each moto no need to see the guys 5 to 10 seconds off the pace can see that talent locally.
A bunch of no names? You are welcome to your opinions but don't be surprised when most true SX/MX fans don't agree with it.

BTW...The LCQ's in Dallas were 100 times better than the 450 main.
DonM
2/19/2018 6:28pm
yz133rider wrote:
DonM wrote:
Again these are just your opinion...I would also like to see 350's but it won't happen...I'm not against change we just don't need to change for...
Indy mxer wrote:
Off the subject, but you admitted you haven't followed NASCAR and haven't watched for years. I think your full of it! Yesterdays race was one of...
Off the subject, but you admitted you haven't followed NASCAR and haven't watched for years. I think your full of it!

Yesterdays race was one of the best Daytona 500's I've seen in a while. I've been a NASCAR fan since the first Brickyard 400.
Usually the start is good, then they cruise around for 2 hours (boring) and have a good finish.
Yesterday they were racing their asses off all day trying to get stage points, and the action was pretty much non stop.

NASCAR racing has never been better. The chase and stage racing have made the on track product much better. imo.

Oh and btw, I'm 60, and into all kinds of racing. Any change that makes the racing better, I'm for it.
So it's not just for the "younger fan". Call it what you want but I like it!

All sports evolve. Even the NFL makes changes to try and make their product better.

SX needs to do the same.
3yrs....I think the way the racing has turned into a blockfest has taken away from what NASCAR was all about and the amount of change in those few years were a lot. The first race I attended was in 79 and either was at or watched every 500 since until like I said 3yrs ago...and it was the chase format that caused me to lose interest...and I know I'm not alone based on how their viewership and attendance has dropped.
DonM
2/19/2018 6:31pm
Oh and SX has evolved going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, track changes because of that not to mention the technology that has come into the sport in recent years.
Ti
2/19/2018 6:54pm
All that I know is... some of the most intense, exciting moments being at a Supercross race are the starts... every single one! Fans leave the food lines, rest room lines and run to see the starts, fans stop talking to each other, look up from their phones, and parents hold their children with their hands over their children's ears... ALL eyes in the stadium are focused on the start. The starts are incredible and so intense, the sound of the bikes, the anticipation of the gate drop, the thunder of the bikes leaving the starting pad then rocketing down into the first turn is AWESOME.... and you want to take that away???????

My youngest gets so exited at the starts she shakes in my arms!!!!

For the record I went to the Texas race with 15 other fans and all the adults who know what a grid start is, said, NO to grid starts:. #NO2SXGRIDSTARTS

Post a reply to: Sx needs a grid start

The Latest