Switching from MX to HS/GP/GNCC?

mmain62
Edited Date/Time 3/11/2016 6:50pm
I know that this has been asked before. Although I would like to hear some opinions. I am 27 I have a wife, 8 month old, and a great job. I have a blast riding moto and racing here and there I would say I'm still a top 5 B rider locally but with my job and my family I am considering switching to Harescrambles and/or grand prix style of stuff to try to take some of the risk out of it for me but keep it fun. I have broke my femur, collarbone and had a shoulder redone because of moto. I know some of you have done this switch so lets hear the opinions. Thanks
|
Titan1
3/10/2016 5:51am
I'm married and have four young kids, a mortgage, etc. when I switched five or six years ago, it was because I had more fun riding off road than I did Moto.

It doesn't eliminate the risk, but because there are no jumps, I would say it definitely reduces the risk drastically.

I wouldn't make the decision out of fear though (fear of getting hurt in Moto)...id race a few (I tell everyone they have to race three of them in a season before throw in the towel on it) and see how you like it. If you like it, do it more...if you don't, then keep racing Moto....but keep you ego in check, maybe buy a 125...or whatever it takes to reduce the risk.

Just my $.02.
Crush
3/10/2016 6:01am
I'm in a similar position... I can ride fine but honestly riding with kids who are just WFO and outta shape these days spooks me pretty good and I find I end up not enjoying it as much... Not sure what the plan is yet, get a woods bike–and try and find somewhere/someone to ride with, or just ride less and MTB more? Who knows... Love MX and love my bike, but it's not something I think anyone should do unless they're 100% there.
woodSMITH29
3/10/2016 6:08am
More fun, more seat time, better attitudes. I've been around the offroad scene all my life along with a good deal of MX, the injurys are every bit as common but not near as severe. Anything can happen anytime, anywhere. But Knees, wrists, broke ribs are way more common than the moto horror stories.
mmain62
3/10/2016 6:12am
Titan1 wrote:
I'm married and have four young kids, a mortgage, etc. when I switched five or six years ago, it was because I had more fun riding...
I'm married and have four young kids, a mortgage, etc. when I switched five or six years ago, it was because I had more fun riding off road than I did Moto.

It doesn't eliminate the risk, but because there are no jumps, I would say it definitely reduces the risk drastically.

I wouldn't make the decision out of fear though (fear of getting hurt in Moto)...id race a few (I tell everyone they have to race three of them in a season before throw in the towel on it) and see how you like it. If you like it, do it more...if you don't, then keep racing Moto....but keep you ego in check, maybe buy a 125...or whatever it takes to reduce the risk.

Just my $.02.
Thanks I will probably only do a few this year to test it out and since I have a 125 and a 250 I may keep one moto and turn the other into a woods bike(probably the 125). I have found that if I race vintage class in MX that its still fun racing and I don't have to care as much. Im not afraid of getting hurt because I have been there and done that. I am really just considering the switch to have the same amount of fun and still get that racing feeling without some 16 year old kamikaze landing on me at a moto track. Thanks again

The Shop

hillbilly
3/10/2016 6:13am
I like having an ambulance right where I'm racing. Nothing like being miles from help with a serious injury.
mmain62
3/10/2016 6:16am
Crush wrote:
I'm in a similar position... I can ride fine but honestly riding with kids who are just WFO and outta shape these days spooks me pretty...
I'm in a similar position... I can ride fine but honestly riding with kids who are just WFO and outta shape these days spooks me pretty good and I find I end up not enjoying it as much... Not sure what the plan is yet, get a woods bike–and try and find somewhere/someone to ride with, or just ride less and MTB more? Who knows... Love MX and love my bike, but it's not something I think anyone should do unless they're 100% there.
I have a MTB also I just live in an area where I have to drive an hour to any MTB trail and I only have to drive the 3 miles to my own private mx track on my parents property. I think that's the biggest thing that puts me in a bind with the switch because I have a track that a lot of people ride on. I may start to loop some single track stuff into the property this year though.
SweetDaddy
3/10/2016 7:14am
I have 2 buddies who recently tore their ACL - one racing HS and the other Enduro
3/10/2016 7:23am
I did the same thing a few years back and after a couple seasons I missed moto a lot. Something about not being able to hold the throttle wide open for extended periods and the aggression of MX was sorely missed. I became almost claustrophobic and wanted nothing but a big long straight and a huge berm to lay into. You can't get that in the woods.
DoctorJD
3/10/2016 7:52am
hillbilly wrote:
I like having an ambulance right where I'm racing. Nothing like being miles from help with a serious injury.
^^This is what scares me more than anything about offroad.^^

And as far as offroad being "safer", I don't buy it, at least not for east-coast riding where you're buzzing trees at mach 2.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
3/10/2016 10:12am
hillbilly wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
^^This is what scares me more than anything about offroad.^^ And as far as offroad being "safer", I don't buy it, at least not for east-coast...

And as far as offroad being "safer", I don't buy it, at least not for east-coast riding where you're buzzing trees at mach 2.
I actually think MTB is more dangerous than moto in the woods. At least on a moto there's a lot more protective gear, and more control due to better tires, brakes and suspension.

In the same boat as many of you more or less. Got into MTB from moto in the mid 90s and it's been my thing ever since. Bought a bike in 2008 thinking I'd do some trail riding and just never did. I'd do laps burning in corners on the ruins of my old practice track. Finally went and did a HS and had a good time. Now I still MTB primarily, and do a few HS's a year with basically no other moto riding. I like the lower risk environment of off road, as in big jumps aren't critical and fitness is an asset. The local events still use moto tracks as part of the course, so there's still a bit of moto. It's highly unlikely I'd ever go spend the entire day for two short motos again. HS is much better at having a set start time, show up, ride, leave.
DC323
3/10/2016 10:43am
I'm 27 with two kids. I switched to harescrambles in 2010 and never looked back. I love it.

Lower risk? Well... that I don't know. I never did this during my moto days.

Forearm, meet downed tree.

IWreckALot
3/10/2016 11:16am
Damn man. . . that's crazy.

OP, Titan gave you some good advice. I started riding when I was 19 and all I wanted to do was hit the motocross scene and then a buddy at work asked me to race some cross country events. I hated it the first year or two that I raced. But as time has passed and I've gotten older (30 now), motocross is just not what I want to do on the regular. I like having more obstacles in a loop. Rocky sections in trees are always a good challenge especially in the heat of a race. Give it a few races and don't quit after one or two races. Find a buddy or two to go race with you. It's always more fun when you have friends there.
motogeezer
3/10/2016 11:23am
mmain62 wrote:
Thanks I will probably only do a few this year to test it out and since I have a 125 and a 250 I may keep...
Thanks I will probably only do a few this year to test it out and since I have a 125 and a 250 I may keep one moto and turn the other into a woods bike(probably the 125). I have found that if I race vintage class in MX that its still fun racing and I don't have to care as much. Im not afraid of getting hurt because I have been there and done that. I am really just considering the switch to have the same amount of fun and still get that racing feeling without some 16 year old kamikaze landing on me at a moto track. Thanks again
Keep the 125 for moto, change the 250.

There's some technical stuff and gnarly climbs that you'll want the 250 grunt for.

Having to keep a 125 revved to the moon in the tight stuff can get sketchy.
WVUpetro2013
3/10/2016 11:25am
Similar situation, 26/married/with a one year old, woods racing and gp's just work way better for me. I don't have to worry quite as much about going to the hospital, I get significantly more seat time, I enjoy the technical trails more than the fear of crashing going wfo, and the best part is I don't have to wait around all day to do a few laps and then sit and wait again. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments for mx over woods but I'm way more satisfied with woods
mb
3/10/2016 11:57am
It might feel safer, I'm not actually sure. I think there are risks for both. I would rather crash on a double in 2nd gear than swap out and go face first into a tree in 2nd gear.
Titan1
3/10/2016 12:17pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm married and have four young kids, a mortgage, etc. when I switched five or six years ago, it was because I had more fun riding...

Just my $.02.
mmain62 wrote:
Thanks I will probably only do a few this year to test it out and since I have a 125 and a 250 I may keep...
I'd keep the 125 for moto, and turn the 250 to a woods bike. It gets pretty technical...and that would make that 125 a handful.

I felt moto was more dangerous because of the jumps, and not because I worried about crashing on the jumps, but because I worried about getting landed on (or landing on someone else who rolled the jump and didn't hold their line). So I say off road is safer for that reason.
Titan1
3/10/2016 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2016 12:25pm
hillbilly wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
^^This is what scares me more than anything about offroad.^^ And as far as offroad being "safer", I don't buy it, at least not for east-coast...

Here's the thing...everyone watches videos of the pro's going "mach 2" through the trees or across the desert, and assumes that's how fast they'd be going, or how fast all riders are going....the reality is that 99.9% of the riders aren't pros...

So though the pro riders certainly assume a ton of risk as a result of their speed...its an entirely different story for your average off road racer. Maybe you are a pro rider-I don't have a clue-and you'd be going Mach 2 through the trees...but the average rider is going slow enough that they aren't "buzzing" the trees...they are just riding past them at a moderate to slow pace. It's just a reality of the talent gap in dirt bike racing. Those slower speeds mean significantly less risk.
WVUpetro2013
3/10/2016 12:26pm
mb wrote:
It might feel safer, I'm not actually sure. I think there are risks for both. I would rather crash on a double in 2nd gear than...
It might feel safer, I'm not actually sure. I think there are risks for both. I would rather crash on a double in 2nd gear than swap out and go face first into a tree in 2nd gear.
Your point is valid, but I will respectfully disagree. For myself I am rarely going half as fast in tight woods as I would be going off most jumps. Also every injury that I have had was on an mx track and I have spent about equal time on both. Perhaps I am slow in the woods or just lucky.
Titan1
3/10/2016 12:28pm
mb wrote:
It might feel safer, I'm not actually sure. I think there are risks for both. I would rather crash on a double in 2nd gear than...
I say its less risk because the risks are all on you...in off road you don't have to worry about someone landing on you (out of your control), or you jumping a jump and having a rider roll the jump and change lines and ride under you (out of your control).

There is definitely risks for both though...but that's why we do it...if there was no risk it would be as exciting as knitting...
Bultaco
3/10/2016 12:48pm
You'll have more fun. Get more riding time. And be around a more friendly, less egotistical group. At least that is what I found 40 years ago when I switched. Sounds like not much has changed in the MX vs. Off road world.
fisher725
3/10/2016 1:21pm
I'm 34 with an 8 yr old, job, etc and still ride moto. I, myself can't stand the woods. Here is Missouri all the woods riding is tight and rocky. Not much fun to me. I feel like the Over 40 class is one of the larger classes on race day in moto. There are 16 year olds that go just as fast in the woods. Granted you are likely not to get landed on by them but not sure the risk is any less. Trees don't move and hurt when you hit them. Common sense and riding smart goes a long way when riding moto. My son rides moto with me. It's a great family sport and he loves it. He went to Loretta Lynn's on his PW and I think he's hooked. I would do what you enjoy the most. Injuries happen in both. Just ride smart and have fun.
resetjet
3/10/2016 1:22pm
Speeds are lower and crashes caused by other riders is way less as well. You will likely suck at first but after a few races you will get it. Its a different animal but moto guys usually do real well once they get used to it. Plus hitting trees is not that common. You can usually get your body in a position that lets you miss or hug the tree.
mmain62
3/10/2016 1:52pm
Thanks to all of you guys. I am honestly at a point where I am bored riding moto when its not a race and I think going and trying something new every now and then would at least help fuel the fire until my son starts riding in a few years. I think I will try it out this year see what its all about and go from there. I'll probably never give moto up completely due to owning a track that local people like to ride. Thanks again for the advice and comments.
mxdude105
3/10/2016 3:30pm
In the same boat as a lot of you guys. Still in my 20's and while I'll always love moto, I'm really looking at hare scramble and trails as a way to continue riding dirtbikes in a slightly less dangerous manner as I get older. I've been down to Hatfield McCoy in WV a few times in the last two years for camping/riding weekends and it is a blast. Packing a backpack with food and essentials and riding through miles and miles of beautiful mountains is just as fun as a day at the motocross track, if not more so. I've also gotten much more into MTB lately as a cheaper, more convenient and again, somewhat safer way to get my fix. I've found that the extra time in the woods has made be a better overall rider. Still plan to continue riding MX on my CR125 but definitely want to build a 250-based woods bike for scrambles and riding/camping trips.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
3/10/2016 3:50pm
Yes to all the above. I ride moto on practice days mainly to hang out with the group of buddy's. I do so on a 125 to keep myself for racing around with guys I used to beat. If I had a comparable bike I would push to prove a point that I shouldn't even worry about proving anymore.

I switched to woods racing (enduros/hs) in 2010 and loved it. I've gone in stages where I need a moto fix, and I'm sick of single track but it's nothing a few practice days can't cure.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
3/10/2016 3:55pm
resetjet wrote:
Speeds are lower and crashes caused by other riders is way less as well. You will likely suck at first but after a few races you...
Speeds are lower and crashes caused by other riders is way less as well. You will likely suck at first but after a few races you will get it. Its a different animal but moto guys usually do real well once they get used to it. Plus hitting trees is not that common. You can usually get your body in a position that lets you miss or hug the tree.
It is true that there is less opportunity for others to cause crashes. OTOH, the goon factor is WAY higher off road from the little I've seen. Starts can definitely be sketchy, fortunately they aren't as critical if you have 1.5 to 2.5 hours to ride.
plowboy
3/10/2016 4:35pm
Many good reasons that I switched to HS in 2001. Way more seat time (more bang for the buck). Most races are 2 hours. If you ironman a 3 hour team race that's good value for money. The most you'll get at moto is 2 twenty minute races and maybe 15 minutes practice. Let's face it...moto is a total sprint. Fitness and grit don't really play into it at the hobby level. HS requires a level of toughness/endurance that can't be exploited in moto. It's perfect for old broken down mxers that can substitute mental toughness and pain tolerance for youth. Lastly, the tracks tend to be brutal but not the do or die stuff found on most moto tracks. I'm not saying, for one second, that harescrambles is less dangerous. Hillbilly is correct. Sometimes you can get hurt quite a way from the ambulance. But that also creates a mindset of stopping to help a downed rider. I've done it and had it done for me. Yes, that sometimes means you might miss a podium/trophy but when the checkers drops and everyone is back in the pits...the guys that managed to FINISH that brutal body smashing, bike wrecking race...just give that head shake and nod of respect to each other. Yeah, I dig harescrambles. It may be for the slow but it ain't for the weak.
ga_pike
3/10/2016 7:31pm
There is risk in everything. I'm 38 and blew my knee playing golf.
Johnny Ringo
3/10/2016 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2016 7:37pm
I switched to off road a few years back for the very same reason. about 2 months into the switch I took a 20 minute dirtnap on a trail 30 miles from any roads or civilization. Had to ride 20 miles back to the truck. Pretty sure I blacked out as I only remember a few select sections of the ride back. It was either that or camp out.

point is, dirtbikes are dangerous regardless of the discipline. Look at what happened to Kurt or Danny Hamel.

Off road is cool as you get more bang for your buck. $40 gets you anywhere from 40-100 miles, where as $40 gets you 8 laps at a motocross race.

Both are fun. Both are gnarly. Both can hurt.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3380th
3/10/2016 8:00pm
Im a little off road biased but I believe for the average joe it's much safer than moto. Both disciplines are dangerous in their own way but for the average guy, the accidents in an offroad race or ride are gonna be less serious than what could happen on a moto track.
That being said the offroad group is more open and supportive than moto in my opinion, especially the offroad racing side of it. I still ride track days, to prep for offroad races and get seat time in but I could never justify spending $40 to waste a day waiting for motos and only doing about 10 laps. Plus the things you get to see and experience while riding off road are way more interesting and exciting than spinning lap after lap all day.
And hey, you can still hold it wide off the track too Winkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3IXLnPIi1I

Post a reply to: Switching from MX to HS/GP/GNCC?

The Latest