Sweet, unlikely success - tire changing

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2020 9:18 AM

I had two new tires to fit over the weekend. Not only was I able to swap both old tires for new without pinching tubes, but I also gave the old front to my friend's son and swapped his out as well. Not a single flat in all that tire changing. That's got to be some sort of record for me!!!!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/26/2020 9:33 AM

Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet track?

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

5/26/2020 10:50 AM

I was going to switch out the rear tire on my xr650 this last weekend. It took me almost an hour to get the old tire off and ruined the tube with 3 holes in the process. Putting the new Tusk tire on it took forever to get on and I had to have my wife help haha. And in the process the tube looked like Swiss cheese. Waiting on a new tube now. I’ve never had that much of a struggle changing tires.

|

5/26/2020 11:37 AM

Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down to a science I just hate taking the wheels on and off........

|

5/26/2020 11:44 AM

Motodave15 wrote:

Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet track?

Elsinore is open now until 4pm and they don't over water the track.

The OTHG club is also having a race there this Sunday.

|

5/26/2020 11:54 AM

Few videos to help:

|

@robfox10

5/26/2020 12:03 PM

Baja no pinch tire tool.

Kindov helps

|

5/26/2020 12:13 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. w00t grin grin grin grin

You wouldn't want me to. 3 in a row is an unprecedented level of success for me. I do it all: baby powder on the tube, soapy water on the bead, long tire irons with no burrs or edges... I've consulted every article, method and tire changing science known to man, and I'd say my success rate is still only about 60%.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/26/2020 12:16 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down to a science I just hate taking the wheels on and off........

How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim out from the assembly? I'd like to try that sometime.
Even more confusing to me is how you can put the tire on the rim with a tube in it. Is it semi-inflated or flat? I'd love to hear your process; I'm all ears!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/26/2020 12:16 PM

I use mucho soap when removing and mounting. Leaving them in the sun helps a lot too.

|

5/26/2020 1:36 PM

I used one of these for ever but mine finally broke,, with this I never pinched a tube..

Photo

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/breezer-motorcycle-tire-changing-tool-1935328212

|

5/26/2020 2:05 PM

SrfNdirt wrote:

I use mucho soap when removing and mounting. Leaving them in the sun helps a lot too.

These are good tips ... I even use the blow dryer in the winter, heat it up real good.

It's all technique. If your struggling. Stop, breath, take a smaller bite. Tube position is essential from the beg. Taking the extra time here will pay off later. Keep pushing the bead in on the top and bottom side continuously. You'll be surprised how much that helps. I hate changing tiressmile

|

5/26/2020 3:17 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

This comment hit way too close to home for me.

|

5/26/2020 3:28 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Falcon wrote:

How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim out from the assembly? I'd like to try that sometime.
Even more confusing to me is how you can put the tire on the rim with a tube in it. Is it semi-inflated or flat? I'd love to hear your process; I'm all ears!

Hard to explain but easy to do and fast but the best way to try and explain is you take the tire off of both sides of the rim and then push the valve out of the rim and then bottom the rim out in the center of the tire and then just pull the rim out with tube still in the tire, and just reverse process for the new tire and tube.I put a small amount of air in the new tube just to set it up in the tire and then use lots of soapy water. Hard to explain but makes tire changes a breeze.

|

Ed Johnson

5/26/2020 3:29 PM

Tracktor wrote:

100% correct, I can install new tires in under 5 mins and it takes longer to take the wheels off then to change the tire.

|

Ed Johnson

5/26/2020 3:45 PM

Photo
|

5/26/2020 4:44 PM

Hate changing tires.. made me appreciate how easy it is to change them on my mountain bike tho

|

5/26/2020 7:39 PM

I’m 54 and have been changing tires since I was a teenager. Once you learn the correct way it’s so easy. I use to change my buddies tires all the time for $15. They thought that was a bargain and I felt Like I was overcharging them. If your really struggling/ straining you’re doing it wrong.

|

5/26/2020 7:48 PM

Tracktor wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

100% correct, I can install new tires in under 5 mins and it takes longer to take the wheels off then to change the tire.

I need a video this sounds like magic

|

5/26/2020 9:11 PM

I bought the Baja Tire Tool and it's really nice. I'm skeptical of "stuff" but it really does make putting tires on a breeze.

For my mousse inserts, I have a Moose tire stand and 6 16" curved irons. Amazingly easy with the right tools.

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

5/26/2020 9:56 PM

I’d rather change tires than clean filters. Lol. I don’t mind doing filters either, I just really like changing tires. I’ve change a good 300+ over the last 10 years so I can bust them out.

On the plus side, I helped a good friends kid tonight and changed his 50 tire for him and out a new tube in. Didn’t punch the tube!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/26/2020 9:59 PM

I'm doing both tires tomorrow....wish me luck! LOL

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

5/26/2020 10:04 PM

I first read that as 50th tire smile

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

5/27/2020 3:49 AM

Tracktor wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

motokawi818 wrote:

I need a video this sounds like magic

Already posted, look up a few posts. The Dunlop one.

|

HAF

5/27/2020 4:13 AM

Your experience is quite the opposite of mine from last weekend. I had to true my front wheel and remove the tire so that it would fit on my trueing stand. When I when to re-install the tire, I pinched 3 tubes... I’m pretty sure I introduced my neighbors to some new words that night.
Photo

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

5/27/2020 4:56 AM

Motodave15 wrote:

Falcon wrote:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. w00t grin grin grin grin

You wouldn't want me to. 3 in a row is an unprecedented level of success for me. I do it all: baby powder on the tube, soapy water on the bead, long tire irons with no burrs or edges... I've consulted every article, method and tire changing science known to man, and I'd say my success rate is still only about 60%.

This is a funny as hell..

|

5/27/2020 5:57 AM

The only time I've pinched any tubes in the last 5-10 years have been my friends! Not sure why, but it's true.
I have a different method than others though. I don't have a tire changing stand, so I do it on the floor on my hands and knees! I have 3 irons and a bead buddy.
I take off one side, then push the valve stem out. Then I take the other side off of the same side using a long tire iron and a rubber hammer. takes about 15 seconds.
Reassembly is the reverse. Most times, I put the first side on, then put the tube in, add a touch of air to the tube, then the other side starting with the rim lock. All the while I'm assembling, I kneel on the tire to keep the bead pinched together as much as I can. The last couple of sections are a bit tough, but not bad. A warm tire goes a LONG way to making it easier.

|

5/27/2020 8:19 AM

I'd rather knock out my own teeth with ice skates than change tires, but here we are. w00t grin grin grin grin

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/27/2020 10:10 AM

MOTORSPORTFOX wrote:

Few videos to help:

Those guys are using the fake Hollywood stunt tires.....

|

"Hope is not a strategy"

5/27/2020 10:33 AM

Motodave15 wrote:

moto67e wrote:

This comment hit way too close to home for me.

Preach brotha!

|