Sweet Sixteen, Engine Ice

flarider
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 5:58pm
SWEET SIXTEEN

Today, April 29th, marks the 16th Anniversary of the start and official launch of Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant.

Prior to this date, for months, Engine Ice was under development and being tested by riders across Florida, from riders under the tent of the original WMR/Willie Manning Racing, James Stewart, Jr., Matt Goerke, Jason Fink and others.
But April 28, 2000, was the first day Engine Ice went, "on the road." where I took a few bottles of Engine Ice in my luggage (back when you could do such things) and flew to the one-time only, never to happen again, "Chicago/Joliet Supercross" that was built on the "Route 66 Raceway" drag strip. I remember getting full credentials and walking the track, thinking to myself "How crazy dangerous is this?" as the track was built over walls and barriers, all clearly exposed on the sides of the jumps, but it was at this race, I introduced Engine Ice to the world outside of Florida. I also remember it getting unexpectedly hella cold overnight between Friday's practice and Saturday's race day.

I remember meeting Chad Watts in the parking lot of their hotel, then Ricky Carmichael's mechanic at Kawasaki, working on his bike in the parking lot and explaining the product to him, he was nice, gave me a card and said to send him some to California and they'll test it out. I never really heard back from Chad on it, but occasionally for the next few years I'd tease him saying "I knew" he was using it secretly, but of course I had no idea. I talked to a few others and most were pretty disinterested.

I met Jason "JT$" Thomas and his mechanic/Father, Frank, and this was when JT$ was really "JT pocket change" as they were total privateers out of an old white van, driving to every race. I think Frank was flying home to work at the shop he worked at in Gainesville, but Jason drove on to the next race. Jason's Mom was, and still is to this day, an AMA scorekeeper. I introduced myself to JT and Frank, Jason said he was familiar with both myself and the product, from my time announcing at Pepsi/Air Dania in Ft Lauderdale, and I offered Jason $500 and free product as sponsorship and to run my decals, which he accepted, making Jason Thomas the very first paid professional racer of Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant, our first check written to a rider. Also met Georgia fast privateer, Matt Shue, and for a couple hundred dollars, added him to the roster and then also Jason Fink, a fast Florida rider trying to make it in the pros. I'd known Jason and the Fink family for a number of years, and they had tested from early on through Willie Manning Racing/WMR, he was an easy sell.

So on April 29, 2000, Engine Ice, the brand new coolant product, not even for sale to the general public yet, had three pro racers in the program of the Chicago/Joliet Supercross. JT$ would, as usual back then, pull his trick of qualifying for the main event in BOTH the 125cc class and the 250cc class (Remember, this was the mostly two stroke days), a feat that is now disallowed, and Matt Shue would also make the main event in the 250cc Class. Fink would make the night but miss the main. JT$ would skip the 125cc class main, but collect his main event money for last, and race the 250cc class, finishing a very respectable 12th while Shue would finish 17th.

So, Engine Ice was on the map. Our first introduction, our first sponsored pros, and two of the three would make the main event in the premier division, and have respectable results.

That was 16 years ago, on these very days, the 28th and 29th, of April in the year 2000

The following week, I'd go to the finale in Las Vegas, my first one ever, then the week after that, which was Mother's Day that year, was the Glen Helen Outdoor Nationals Opener, where we were able to somehow score a spot in a corner of the tiny pit area, next to Kyle Lewis in the MotoXXX box van, putting our custom printed Engine Ice EZ-Up, now long since retired, in full view of all the spectators on their way in, and throughout the day, myself and Mark Beamer, the man who did all the original art, logo design and a contributing founder, engaged in guerrilla marketing, by plastering Engine Ice decals all over the Glen Helen property, in every port-a-can, every jump tunnel and every pole. You may had never heard of Engine Ice before that day, but afterwards, you knew that logo, because you couldn't miss it.
It was that Monday, the day after that Glen Helen National, that the Engine Ice website went live, and we did make a sale that first day. Imagine that, a sale on the very first day!

A little known bit of internal trivia, one of the very first customers of Engine Ice that week, before I even knew who he was, was Dr. John Bodner, the same Dr. Bodner of the Asterisk Mobile Medical Team today.
Amazing how far we've come in a quick 16 years, and I am proud to say I am still friends with JT$ and have become friends with Dr. Bodner, all these years later.

As an original advertiser of Vital MX and the first advertiser of it's predecessor, Motodrive.com (RIP), I want to thank all of you who have supported us and been our friend. We respect all of our competitors, and don't expect (but would like Smile ) everyone to use our product, but know that isn't possible. But thanks, GuyB, Michael, Scottie, all the OG's and those of you who I don't know or know me, but know our product, it's been a crazy 16 years. Even more crazy is knowing many of us were online together even before Engine Ice was born, that's how OG some of us are are.

Have a great day, Everyone
|
Kinetic1
4/29/2016 4:01am
Happy for you Dave. And still use your product in everything that goes fast and uses coolant.
JackLHyde
4/29/2016 4:04am
Cool story Dave.

What's your professional background? How did you discover / invent Engine Ice?
How come you're so involved in the European, especially German, Supercross scene?
flarider
4/29/2016 4:20am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2016 4:21am
JackLHyde wrote:
Cool story Dave. What's your professional background? How did you discover / invent Engine Ice? How come you're so involved in the European, especially German, Supercross...
Cool story Dave.

What's your professional background? How did you discover / invent Engine Ice?
How come you're so involved in the European, especially German, Supercross scene?
Thanks.
I have no formal education beyond HS. No chemistry degree. It was initially developed along with a friend who was in the automotive chemical business because I knew it could be improved. I have spent countless hours self-educating and reading technical documents, tests and white papers. Prior to Engine Ice, and this is what I tell a lot of people, I did a lot of different jobs, but each of those jobs taught me something to do this.

As for Europe and our involvement over there, that's the birthplace of MX, it's a market we need to be in, and a number of years back, I was contacted asking if I could help secure riders to race in Germany and elsewhere, and over the years, I have helped send riders like Ricky Renner, Justin Starling, Matt Goerke, Ivan Tedesco, Nick Wey, Weston Peick and many others. I personally believe that the turning point in Weston's career was when he started going overseas and racing not just in Germany, but Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy and other countries, keeping him racing and keeping him mentally and physically in "race mode" year 'round. I think more racers could benefit from not taking the off-season "off," but to keep racing and stay sharp all the way up to A1
Bultaco
4/29/2016 4:38am
Thanks for the story. It is good to hear some positive words. I still remember you as EngineIceDave on Mototalk.

The Shop

NHtoWA421
4/29/2016 4:42am
engine ice is the only coolant i use now, i got into it years ago with circuit racing because the coolant needed to be biodegradable. Ive ran it ever since because i liked the fact that it was non toxic and biodegradable, and you guys supported a lot of amateurs, which is awesome, great product!
kkawboy14
4/29/2016 4:49am
Very cool Dave!

When I read the title I thought this might be the new chase format announcement Smile
dl117
Fantasy
2577th
4/29/2016 5:21am
Been using for years, thanks for a great product, and supporting the sport
jsmx97
4/29/2016 5:27am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2016 5:27am
Very cool story, we sell a lot of Engine Ice at my store and I have used it personally long before I was in business. I wish you continued success and we will keep moving product for you!
hillbilly
4/29/2016 5:31am
I had VIP parking at muddy creek in early 2000s and would park right beside the guy that ,how to put this, was selling something else. I had these big EI signs on the sides of my boxvan.

It was good times,you'd just had to been there then to get it.

I miss the EI dave cartoon character that was you avatar for years.
jndmx
4/29/2016 5:39am
Congrats on the anniversary Dave!!
Truly a great product, we used it in all my sons race bikes.

My son still talks about the the 2008 LL's Engine Ice water ballon fest.....lol.

Many more years of success Dave.
G-man
4/29/2016 6:02am
Good stuff Dave congratulations on the anniversary and having a successful product.

It's all I use in my bikes and out here in sunny Arizona keeping your bike cool is very important.

I'll never forget the Chicken Fest at Loretta Lynn's in 2004. Smile

G
4/29/2016 6:22am
Started using Engine Ice back in my 85 days, around 2002. Pretty sure they were one of my first "sponsors" back in the sponsorhouse.com days. I made it to Loretta's in the 250A Pro Sport class in 2005 and remember meeting Dave there briefly. I've used only Engine Ice in my bikes since I started using it. Thanks for a great product Dave.
TailSoHard
4/29/2016 6:33am
I've never met you, Dave, but I use your product in my bikes and my shop, and have nothing but good things to say about it! Congratulations on making it this far and here's to the next 16 years!
Steadman
4/29/2016 6:48am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2016 7:33am
Great story, thanks for sharing! Always fun to get some insight. We have been using and selling the product for years. Always on the counter ready to go Wink Congratulations on your success.

TeamGreen
4/29/2016 7:12am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2016 7:18am
It's all I use...Engine Ice.

Just railed 2,600 miles of Baja on The Rip...& Back.
On a 350 that was screaming against a bunch of 450s.
Ice blue Engine Ice...

Edit: almost forgot the real reason I posted this...

Dave,

I'm proud of you. I know the commitment it takes to grow a business. When I see your product on shelves in different shops and stores, it gives me great pride to know "You did that".

Manny
JPT
4/29/2016 7:34am
Very cool Dave.
4/29/2016 7:45am
Awesome story, I'll never look at the bottle quite the same. Cool backstory on JT$ too!! Congrats on the success!
500guy
4/29/2016 8:02am
Congratulations Dave and Co.
Team Ideal
4/29/2016 8:18am
congrats on the sweet 16. we use your product and have great results with it.
jeffro503
4/29/2016 8:44am
That's awesome Dave! Congrats on the successful business! I know it's what I run in my bikes.
flarider
4/29/2016 9:05am
Thank you all, even those who haven't responded or know who the hell I am or what Engine Ice is.

I do think it'd also be a good time to apologize to anyone I have ever offended or where my remarks conflicted and caused stress to anyone on this or other forums.
MOTOXSTATION
Fantasy
468th
4/29/2016 9:32am
G-man wrote:
Good stuff Dave congratulations on the anniversary and having a successful product. It's all I use in my bikes and out here in sunny Arizona keeping...
Good stuff Dave congratulations on the anniversary and having a successful product.

It's all I use in my bikes and out here in sunny Arizona keeping your bike cool is very important.

I'll never forget the Chicken Fest at Loretta Lynn's in 2004. Smile

G
X2....Contats Dave! Still have my Engine Ice hat from the chicken fest 2004!
MR. X
4/29/2016 9:51am
I just told the guy at work about it yesterday while we were talking about engines and running his blown Austin healey on the street.
ledger
4/29/2016 10:06am
Happy birthday ! I've been around moto from the age of 10 and I'm about to turn 55, I use it cause it works, also watched a lot of product's come and go. In moto, a product works or it don't and there is no in between imo. Congrats on making the podium in the motorcycle industry.
ti473
4/29/2016 10:31am
Very cool story! I remember that night at Joliet, it was the first supercross I had been to... must have been your engine ice, but it was cold indeed!!

Post a reply to: Sweet Sixteen, Engine Ice

The Latest