Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

Subotai
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 6:12pm
Was bummed to hear this from Keefer on Monday on the Pulp show. Time to give up what little hope remained for a modern bike. At this point, just praying they don’t completely stop making MX bikes. Not good for the sport no matter how you cut it. Yellow factory bikes always looked the best. Oh well...

Here I come Honda, KTM, Yamaha or Kawi.
|
reded
4/29/2020 7:22pm
Been paying them to sit on their hands since 2008. How much gravy should they be allowed soak up?
FlaNard
4/29/2020 7:32pm
Man, I still love my RM 250. Even slow pokes like myself can turn on those things. I've always hoped Suzuki could somehow turn it around. Bummer.
Flatliner
4/29/2020 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 7:54pm
You guys are crazy if you think they’re going away. Japan doesn’t operate like that.
tobz
4/29/2020 7:56pm
Just doing what Yamaha has done I hope.

The Shop

deadlo
4/29/2020 7:56pm
Flatliner wrote:
You guys are crazy if you think they’re going away. Japan doesn’t operate like that.
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another dollar for their mx bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport.
jbonemalone
4/29/2020 7:59pm
The Suzuki r and d department has been sort of a Milton Waddams from office space situation for at least 6 years anyway. There at the office but not actually doing anything. Where’s my stapler?
I hope things come through because I love the bikes and not very many turn inside like a ZOOK.
LewDizzle
4/29/2020 8:21pm
deadlo wrote:
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another...
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another dollar for their mx bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport.
When you say "hope Suzuki doesn't get another dollar for their MX bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport" what does that mean? What exactly are you looking for? What more would you like them to do?
aeffertz
4/29/2020 8:40pm
It would be a shame to not see any factory teams on Suzuki for the time being but they definitely hold a great spot for the guy that just wants a cheaper but still quality bike. If that's the role they wanna take, I can't be too mad at tha to be honest. I would assume they will pick it back up eventually again, though.
Motofinne
4/29/2020 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 9:39pm
tobz wrote:
Just doing what Yamaha has done I hope.
Yamaha did constantly develop the 450 though, the 250 was on hold for a long time until 2014.

I would say that Suzuki is done in the world of offroad, the best case scenario is that they keep producing the RM-Z bikes with bold new graphics as the annual update.
deadlo
4/29/2020 9:43pm
LewDizzle wrote:
When you say "hope Suzuki doesn't get another dollar for their MX bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport" what does that mean...
When you say "hope Suzuki doesn't get another dollar for their MX bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport" what does that mean? What exactly are you looking for? What more would you like them to do?
Are you serious? I feel like I don’t even need to answer these questions. What more do I want them to do?? What have they done lately?

Having a cheap option is absolutely great, but having that option because the company just doesn’t give a crap about listening to consumers and staying competitive....that is a problem. Put your money towards the companies that are die hard for this sport, and working hard to put out the next best thing for us. The companies paying attention to our complaints, and doing something about it.
LewDizzle
4/29/2020 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 11:20pm
LewDizzle wrote:
When you say "hope Suzuki doesn't get another dollar for their MX bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport" what does that mean...
deadlo wrote:
Are you serious? I feel like I don’t even need to answer these questions. What more do I want them to do?? What have they done...
Are you serious? I feel like I don’t even need to answer these questions. What more do I want them to do?? What have they done lately?

Having a cheap option is absolutely great, but having that option because the company just doesn’t give a crap about listening to consumers and staying competitive....that is a problem. Put your money towards the companies that are die hard for this sport, and working hard to put out the next best thing for us. The companies paying attention to our complaints, and doing something about it.
I am serious. What more would you like them to do to "put effort into the sport?'. You want Air forks? New plastics? New chassis? Less weight? More contingency money? A factory team?......etc, etc...

So what effort do they need to do for the sport? What do they need to do to get YOU to buy a new bike? Just curious
kiwifan
4/29/2020 11:28pm
Well I guess they will still produce motorbikes, so all is not lost for those Zook fans
LewDizzle
4/29/2020 11:28pm
LewDizzle wrote:
deadlo wrote:
Are you serious? I feel like I don’t even need to answer these questions. What more do I want them to do?? What have they done...

"just doesn't give a crap about what the consumers are saying". What are the consumers saying? Enlighten me.
LewDizzle
4/29/2020 11:38pm
kiwifan wrote:
Well I guess they will still produce motorbikes, so all is not lost for those Zook fans
I just bought a new Honda generator the the other day if that makes ya feel any better.😏😏😏
MZ193
4/29/2020 11:46pm
Bummer. Not a big fan of zooks but the future of our sport is not bright.
Motofinne
4/29/2020 11:51pm
MZ193 wrote:
Why? Suzuki going away would be bad but in the grand scheme of things the sport looks pretty good in my opinion. Suzuki slowly going away isn't that big of a deal if i'm honest, it's not like Honda, KTM Group or Yamaha are pulling out.
Not a good thing, but certainly not the end of the world.

The big issue that needs to be solved is tracks and their survival. There wont be a offroad industry if tracks go away because of various reasons (sound is probably the main issue).
4/29/2020 11:57pm
LewDizzle wrote:
deadlo wrote:

LewDizzle wrote:
"just doesn't give a crap about what the consumers are saying". What are the consumers saying? Enlighten me.
I consistently see what the consumers are saying....

“Basic, easy to maintain, relatively cheap two strokes please” is what I see the consumers are asking for.

I rarely see consumers asking for more electronics, faster development and higher cost.

Maybe I’m just getting confused..
It's shocking to me to see people dancing around the Suzuki deathwatch.... The impending death of moto just picked up a little more steam.

MZ193
MZ193 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Why? Suzuki going away would be bad but in the grand scheme of things the sport looks pretty good in my opinion. Suzuki slowly going away...
Why? Suzuki going away would be bad but in the grand scheme of things the sport looks pretty good in my opinion. Suzuki slowly going away isn't that big of a deal if i'm honest, it's not like Honda, KTM Group or Yamaha are pulling out.
Not a good thing, but certainly not the end of the world.

The big issue that needs to be solved is tracks and their survival. There wont be a offroad industry if tracks go away because of various reasons (sound is probably the main issue).
I dont see sound as a big problem (here in italy), in the US the space are so big and you could build a track in the middle of no where.
I see money as a major problem, the medium class here in italy is going through some hard years, let s See what the future brings... a lot of my friends are anymore buying new bikes but used ones... 2strokes only to reduce the maintenance costs...
4/30/2020 12:05am
Suzuki’s saviour could be two strokes!

Put the RM250 straight out as it was- it’s still as good as anything.
Develop that same bike to make an enduro model to compete with an EXC250
Develop a 300, maybe even 350/400 kit for it.

Buy a KTM 125sx and copy the cylinder, put that on the RM125 and now they’ll have a competitive 125.
Develop that bike to make an enduro model to compete with an EXC125.
Develop a 150cc kit for it.

All this could be done inside three years.
Steel frames, carbs & two strokes seems to be working pretty well for KTM, wouldn’t you say?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
4/30/2020 1:00am
MZ193 wrote:
I dont see sound as a big problem (here in italy), in the US the space are so big and you could build a track in...
I dont see sound as a big problem (here in italy), in the US the space are so big and you could build a track in the middle of no where.
I see money as a major problem, the medium class here in italy is going through some hard years, let s See what the future brings... a lot of my friends are anymore buying new bikes but used ones... 2strokes only to reduce the maintenance costs...
You can build a track in the middle of nowhere but nobody will live close enough to go ride it.
Motofinne
4/30/2020 1:08am
Suzuki’s saviour could be two strokes! Put the RM250 straight out as it was- it’s still as good as anything. Develop that same bike to make...
Suzuki’s saviour could be two strokes!

Put the RM250 straight out as it was- it’s still as good as anything.
Develop that same bike to make an enduro model to compete with an EXC250
Develop a 300, maybe even 350/400 kit for it.

Buy a KTM 125sx and copy the cylinder, put that on the RM125 and now they’ll have a competitive 125.
Develop that bike to make an enduro model to compete with an EXC125.
Develop a 150cc kit for it.

All this could be done inside three years.
Steel frames, carbs & two strokes seems to be working pretty well for KTM, wouldn’t you say?
They have probably made all those calculations already and the final answer is that they think they wont sell enough to cover the cost of doing that.
Crush
4/30/2020 1:10am
I'm not far into this week's pod... already some crazy revelations.

Totally agree that Suzuki needs to be in or out, and that their current "plan" isn't doing much of anything.

Keefer's point about price-point is probably a good place for them to start a war – and i'd also say starting/stopping 250 and amateur suppport is a risk to their image but also riders and families who are serious and buy in...
MZ193
4/30/2020 1:16am
MZ193 wrote:
I dont see sound as a big problem (here in italy), in the US the space are so big and you could build a track in...
colintrax wrote:
You can build a track in the middle of nowhere but nobody will live close enough to go ride it.
Each weekend i do 120/140 kilometers to go to tracks, about 80/90 miles.
I think that as i do it, everybody will, if necessary.
A lot of swiss/german riders come to italy each weekend, which means 300/400 kilometers.
So if it will be necessary i will go in the middle of nowhere to ride.
Not handy but still...
Motofinne
4/30/2020 1:23am
Crush wrote:
I'm not far into this week's pod... already some crazy revelations. Totally agree that Suzuki needs to be in or out, and that their current "plan"...
I'm not far into this week's pod... already some crazy revelations.

Totally agree that Suzuki needs to be in or out, and that their current "plan" isn't doing much of anything.

Keefer's point about price-point is probably a good place for them to start a war – and i'd also say starting/stopping 250 and amateur suppport is a risk to their image but also riders and families who are serious and buy in...
What people like Keefer and others on this forum constantly completely ignore is that Suzuki is not the only brand where you can get a cracking deal on a leftover bike. Yeah that is probably the cheapest bike you could get in the fall when the new models roll out but look at what some here have paid for their KX bikes OTD. Some times under 1k more than the RM-Z.

But you're right, Suzuki can only compete on price at the moment. But even there the difference isn't as big as some make it out to be.
kiwifan
4/30/2020 2:31am
kiwifan wrote:
LewDizzle wrote:
I just bought a new Honda generator the the other day if that makes ya feel any better.😏😏😏
Huh, what the heck has that got to do with Suzuki still producing ??
TheLsho
Fantasy
821st
4/30/2020 4:18am
deadlo wrote:
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another...
Oh because they aren't putting in the effort that you want to see? Not sure how that equates to not putting any effort in.

Go watch Ricky, Chad, Dungey, Stew, or Roczen on those crappy old bikes. Tell me how much that bike was holding them back. Or how much it would hold you back.

Post a reply to: Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

The Latest