Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

7/7/2020 6:12am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 6:29am
BobPA wrote:
Well, I bought my first 350 in 2011....So I am going on 10 years of hitting the magic button, anecdotal info of course. My 300 has...
Well, I bought my first 350 in 2011....So I am going on 10 years of hitting the magic button, anecdotal info of course. My 300 has a back up kicker, which is a great idea on a bike you ride in the woods...far from a tow vehicle.

I have had two starter failures since 2011, one was do to a crash, the second was caused by me overloading the stock charging system and burning up a stator.

Kick starting is caveman haha...e-start is pretty damn reliable, and clearly they have it lightweight.
You rag on something as minor as a kickstarter and then say it's a "Great idea" to have as a backup. So you're saying IF/WHEN e-start happens to fail its a nice option to have a kicker. So...Why is it such a point for you to think zook is behind the times because they choose to stick with the fail safe option as the go to?? Also, you are calling out one brand. No one is doing that to you. If you would like that, and want to talk caveman, how about steel frames on the KTM? What is this 1997? (Purely to prove a point)
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/7/2020 8:41am
biondo wrote:
Good Point! Brock T and Freddie and JGR Team did quite well at SLC !! Considering the odds they were up against! Suzuki RMZ We’re not...
Good Point! Brock T and Freddie and JGR Team did quite well at SLC !! Considering the odds they were up against! Suzuki RMZ
We’re not last place ! Brock T almost made the Podium I liked his Hole shot!
Anyways My 2020 250 rmz Is my favorite bike so far have owned husky Ktm yamaha... have over 20 hours still running like a vintage sewing machine 🤠

Falcon wrote:
:lol: I don't think Broc "broken hand" Tickle could have done any better on Webb's KTM, no matter how much better the stock version fared in...
Grinning

I don't think Broc "broken hand" Tickle could have done any better on Webb's KTM, no matter how much better the stock version fared in the shootouts. (His RM-Z would absolutely lay waste to a stock SX-F450, by the way.)

Be careful with that RM-Z250, though. I heard they are so bad that they'll give you cancer!
You had to stoop so low that you had to joke about cancer. Shame. Not cool. Dry
You're right; I apologize. Cancer sucks.
BobPA
7/7/2020 10:18am
BobPA wrote:
Well, I bought my first 350 in 2011....So I am going on 10 years of hitting the magic button, anecdotal info of course. My 300 has...
Well, I bought my first 350 in 2011....So I am going on 10 years of hitting the magic button, anecdotal info of course. My 300 has a back up kicker, which is a great idea on a bike you ride in the woods...far from a tow vehicle.

I have had two starter failures since 2011, one was do to a crash, the second was caused by me overloading the stock charging system and burning up a stator.

Kick starting is caveman haha...e-start is pretty damn reliable, and clearly they have it lightweight.
You rag on something as minor as a kickstarter and then say it's a "Great idea" to have as a backup. So you're saying IF/WHEN e-start...
You rag on something as minor as a kickstarter and then say it's a "Great idea" to have as a backup. So you're saying IF/WHEN e-start happens to fail its a nice option to have a kicker. So...Why is it such a point for you to think zook is behind the times because they choose to stick with the fail safe option as the go to?? Also, you are calling out one brand. No one is doing that to you. If you would like that, and want to talk caveman, how about steel frames on the KTM? What is this 1997? (Purely to prove a point)
That was a pathetic example my man. I'll never understand the Suzuki obsession around here..I understand cheering for the little guy, but when the little guy gives nothing back to the sport, why bother?

You can continue to kickstart your dinosaur, I'll push a button like a gentleman...different strokes and all.

Enjoy the initial $1k cheaper price tag, because when it comes to sell...Zooks are lucky to get $3k on the used market, even being only a year old.
7/7/2020 10:42am
BobPA wrote:
That was a pathetic example my man. I'll never understand the Suzuki obsession around here..I understand cheering for the little guy, but when the little guy...
That was a pathetic example my man. I'll never understand the Suzuki obsession around here..I understand cheering for the little guy, but when the little guy gives nothing back to the sport, why bother?

You can continue to kickstart your dinosaur, I'll push a button like a gentleman...different strokes and all.

Enjoy the initial $1k cheaper price tag, because when it comes to sell...Zooks are lucky to get $3k on the used market, even being only a year old.
A.) I'm not "Your Man." It's an example based on as factual information as you have provided. B.) You said yourself your bike has a kickstarter!!!! You have no leg to stand on in this discussion when you own a bike equipped with a kicker that you are arguing frivolously against! C.) My 2019 was $5800 OTD price. Show me a brand new 2019 KTM for $6800 OTD and I will buy it cash right now. D.) You saying my 2019 brings $3k currently on the used market is a total fallacy and an immature remark made only to try and frustrate and belittle someone based on their own choices. Rude and not constructive in any capacity. I'm done with this conversation.

The Shop

Forty
7/7/2020 10:48am
I just sold my 2013 RMZ 450 for $3600.00. 1st guy to show up. Coulda sold it half a dozen times.

Not everyone has $10k for a bike. Good clean used bikes are getting good money.

I've ridden the kick start all my life, and recently rode and raced the e-start KTM 350. E-start is better.

So what?

I just bought a 2003 rm250 to tinker around with. It has a kick starter. So what?

At some point I'll buy a 250 Husky. It has a kick starter. So what.

Zycki11
7/7/2020 11:01am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 11:01am
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER...
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER, many people, myself included, do actually prefer a kickstarter. Many people, myself included, can ride a less powerful bike faster around a track than the highest horsepower counterpart. Barcia ran a stock engine on his yz450f overseas at supercross and raved about how much more in control he felt and could use the engine much more to its fullest potential because of the less power. Many people, myself included, enjoy the process of adding parts to their machines and seeing the changes it makes to the bike, something that a lowest purchase priced new bike allows me to do. You are making assumptions toward a group of buyers/riders that simply isn't validated by anything other than opinion.
BobPA wrote:
How many of "you people" prefer to hand crank their cars?

No one prefers a kick starter, stop being ridiculous.
Wow. What is really ridiculous is YOU informing ME of MY preferences. Good to know others out there will take care of my personal choices and...
Wow. What is really ridiculous is YOU informing ME of MY preferences. Good to know others out there will take care of my personal choices and opinions for me. Also, unsure if you have ever actually crank started a car and compared it to kickstarting a dirt bike. These two things are not the same. Perhaps you's like to draw comparisons between steam engines and DC electric motors next? Take your own advice and "stop being ridiculous."
Yikes. This is still burning. I thought school was canceled?
BobPA
7/7/2020 11:12am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 11:43am
BobPA wrote:
That was a pathetic example my man. I'll never understand the Suzuki obsession around here..I understand cheering for the little guy, but when the little guy...

A.) I'm not "Your Man." It's an example based on as factual information as you have provided. B.) You said yourself your bike has a kickstarter...
A.) I'm not "Your Man." It's an example based on as factual information as you have provided. B.) You said yourself your bike has a kickstarter!!!! You have no leg to stand on in this discussion when you own a bike equipped with a kicker that you are arguing frivolously against! C.) My 2019 was $5800 OTD price. Show me a brand new 2019 KTM for $6800 OTD and I will buy it cash right now. D.) You saying my 2019 brings $3k currently on the used market is a total fallacy and an immature remark made only to try and frustrate and belittle someone based on their own choices. Rude and not constructive in any capacity. I'm done with this conversation.
Sorry to have pressed your buttons chief, it is all in good internet fun. Your example is still pathetic. Carburetor vs fuel injection would have been a much better choice....(I believe Zook was the first to introduce FI to the MX market)

My 300 has e-start....along with a kickstart, the kickstarter might be rusted closed for all I know.

If I weren't so lazy I'd bring up the clip from SX last year, where where the HEP boys crashed in a corner and were kicking their asses off trying to get going, some dude with e-start picked up his bike up and cruised right away.
fourfourone
7/7/2020 11:52am
BobPA wrote:

A.) I'm not "Your Man." It's an example based on as factual information as you have provided. B.) You said yourself your bike has a kickstarter...
Your yellow bike will be worth 3k next year. KTM would have been worth 7k.....
deadlo
7/7/2020 3:24pm
BobPA wrote:

You rag on something as minor as a kickstarter and then say it's a "Great idea" to have as a backup. So you're saying IF/WHEN e-start...
I highly doubt they “chose” to stick to a fail safe option. They simply didn’t give a shit to make the improvements the greater majority want on their bikes. The ktm could add an emergency battery charger and still be lighter than the rmz lmao.

Now if the Suzuki’s weight was less than the ktm with a kickstarter, then yeah makes sense.
Flattrack88
7/7/2020 4:00pm
BobPA wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Sorry to have pressed your buttons chief, it is all in good internet fun. Your example is still pathetic. Carburetor vs fuel injection would have been...
Sorry to have pressed your buttons chief, it is all in good internet fun. Your example is still pathetic. Carburetor vs fuel injection would have been a much better choice....(I believe Zook was the first to introduce FI to the MX market)

My 300 has e-start....along with a kickstart, the kickstarter might be rusted closed for all I know.

If I weren't so lazy I'd bring up the clip from SX last year, where where the HEP boys crashed in a corner and were kicking their asses off trying to get going, some dude with e-start picked up his bike up and cruised right away.
It was a crash in the first corner of the LCQ...made no difference either way. I recall a couple times at early supercrosses this year someone (maybe justin cooper) struggling forever to start his bike because it wasn't in neutral. See that...works both ways.

I'm not saying a kickstart is better, but the obsession with the "innovation" of estart is ridiculous. If any of the estart brands offered the same bike without estart, which would be slightly cheaper, slightly lighter, and require less maintenance, I'd pick that one over the estart variant. That's just my preference though. Everyone has their own.
ob
7/7/2020 8:10pm
Yes if they were lighter With a kick starter than a ktm husky then they would be almost cool. But as they are unless you just can’t afford a ktm husky then there is no reason to even consider one. They aren’t better in any performance aspect and actually pretty much suck, so it better be really cheap.
Mr. Afterbar
7/8/2020 4:02am
ob wrote:
Yes if they were lighter With a kick starter than a ktm husky then they would be almost cool. But as they are unless you just...
Yes if they were lighter With a kick starter than a ktm husky then they would be almost cool. But as they are unless you just can’t afford a ktm husky then there is no reason to even consider one. They aren’t better in any performance aspect and actually pretty much suck, so it better be really cheap.
I’ll take the RMZ over the KTM any day. I know it won’t fall fall apart or grenade on the face of a jump. The frame won’t snap, the front wheel won’t explode, and it won’t sit in my garage all summer waiting for the same back ordered transmission parts as everyone else that owns one. To each their own.
bierbower105
7/8/2020 4:15am
Somebody with 7k to spend on a bike probably won't buy your KTM with 50 hours - if they have 7 grand I bet they have 10 grand - and if they have 10 grand they could almost buy 2 suzukis or 1 new KTM.......depreciating assets....ya know
RoostBuckets
Fantasy
1506th
7/8/2020 4:16am
BobPA wrote:
Sorry to have pressed your buttons chief, it is all in good internet fun. Your example is still pathetic. Carburetor vs fuel injection would have been...

It was a crash in the first corner of the LCQ...made no difference either way. I recall a couple times at early supercrosses this year someone...
It was a crash in the first corner of the LCQ...made no difference either way. I recall a couple times at early supercrosses this year someone (maybe justin cooper) struggling forever to start his bike because it wasn't in neutral. See that...works both ways.

I'm not saying a kickstart is better, but the obsession with the "innovation" of estart is ridiculous. If any of the estart brands offered the same bike without estart, which would be slightly cheaper, slightly lighter, and require less maintenance, I'd pick that one over the estart variant. That's just my preference though. Everyone has their own.
My E-start will fire up in any gear. I think you took too many kick starts to the head.

Innovation will continue with every brand out there besides suzuki. Get used to it or stay on your dinosaur.

P.S. I'm 3 E-start bikes in now and have never had a single problem. Never even had to do maintenance on the system. However I did snap a kick start lever on a 450 a few years back. So I'm not entirely sure where your "less maintenance" logic is coming from?? the suzuki R & D department? too soon...?
RoostBuckets
Fantasy
1506th
7/8/2020 4:19am
BobPA wrote:

hey man, Is there a finders fee for this? I can find you a brandy new 2019 all day for that price man. Let me know man.
MotofactioN
7/8/2020 4:31am
BobPA wrote:

Neither of us will care how much it’s worth when I’m passing you at the track. WhistlingCoolPinch
RoostBuckets
Fantasy
1506th
7/8/2020 5:06am
Neither of us will care how much it’s worth when I’m passing you at the track. WhistlingCoolPinch
Are we going to start bragging how fast we are via the internet? Sounds like you're one race away from graduating the D class bro.
Mr. Afterbar
7/8/2020 5:37am
Are we going to start bragging how fast we are via the internet? Sounds like you're one race away from graduating the D class bro.
Only squids claim a bike isn’t good enough. Any good rider can go fast on anything.
RoostBuckets
Fantasy
1506th
7/8/2020 5:48am
Only squids claim a bike isn’t good enough. Any good rider can go fast on anything.
Please show me when and where I claimed the bike isn't good enough. I simply chimed in on the E-Start vs. kick start. All that kicking must have loosened your marbles!
Mr. Afterbar
7/8/2020 5:58am
Please show me when and where I claimed the bike isn't good enough. I simply chimed in on the E-Start vs. kick start. All that kicking...
Please show me when and where I claimed the bike isn't good enough. I simply chimed in on the E-Start vs. kick start. All that kicking must have loosened your marbles!
Don’t even own one, but nice try.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
7/8/2020 8:55am
ob wrote:
Yes if they were lighter With a kick starter than a ktm husky then they would be almost cool. But as they are unless you just...
Lol!!! No reason to ever consider one? I can dial in an RMZ450 for myself for less than you spend on a KTM. Not only that, but how much is contingency on a KTM? It's pretty much shit. Husky and KTM pay the absolute worst!

I'd be no better on a KTM than I would be on an RMZ, but I will be earning more contingency on that RMZ!
7/8/2020 9:10am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 9:46am
My E-start will fire up in any gear. I think you took too many kick starts to the head. Innovation will continue with every brand out...
My E-start will fire up in any gear. I think you took too many kick starts to the head.

Innovation will continue with every brand out there besides suzuki. Get used to it or stay on your dinosaur.

P.S. I'm 3 E-start bikes in now and have never had a single problem. Never even had to do maintenance on the system. However I did snap a kick start lever on a 450 a few years back. So I'm not entirely sure where your "less maintenance" logic is coming from?? the suzuki R & D department? too soon...?
It is true. These ongoing issues with kickstarters have been well-documented.

This video details the thrust of the problem pretty well:

biondo
7/8/2020 9:22am
ob wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Lol!!! No reason to ever consider one? I can dial in an RMZ450 for myself for less than you spend on a KTM. Not only that...
Lol!!! No reason to ever consider one? I can dial in an RMZ450 for myself for less than you spend on a KTM. Not only that, but how much is contingency on a KTM? It's pretty much shit. Husky and KTM pay the absolute worst!

I'd be no better on a KTM than I would be on an RMZ, but I will be earning more contingency on that RMZ!
Great to hear you are having Success on your Rmz! I just wonder how many of these guys that are badmouthing Suzuki RMZ have ridden one... Brock Tickel and team beat most of the others last SLC SX Race and for
The weight issue how many of these guys are not overweight themselves? As a pro cyclist a few ounces on machine makes little difference it’s the Rider !! Also Suzuki build Quality looks as good or better than the others welds and fit and finish from what I’ve looked at...Anyways bottom line I’m having a Great time on my Rmz and hoping they stay in business!! Ps would love a EStart ...
RTDRacing
7/8/2020 10:26am
One thing you have to give credit to Suzuki is their support of the sport. I see a lot more Suzuki branding than KTM during race. Tough blocks, Spider Cam etc. In fact, if you watch the podium all the manufacturers except KTM and Husky are present on the wall, unless I missed it.
adiaz791
7/8/2020 11:48am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 11:54am
Will be 10 years old when the 2021s come out and it still starts in 1-2 kicks. Nothing slow about it, still passes the new electric start bikes =]

Tuna
7/8/2020 11:59am
Holy fuck, what a bunch of old hens arguing on here.
OLDMOTO
7/8/2020 12:40pm
Suzuki has a place in the market and a demand. They sell all of the bikes they produce eventually. They feel they dont need to spend the money to compete with the other brands for a product that is sold on such a small scale. They do put money in to contingency and advertising. I don't see big Suzuki racing teams in the near future here or in Europe. But they will continue to be in local racing and offroad riding. We are better off with them as opposed to without them. I hope they don't pull out of MX completely.
BobPA
7/8/2020 2:10pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
Suzuki has a place in the market and a demand. They sell all of the bikes they produce eventually. They feel they dont need to spend...
Suzuki has a place in the market and a demand. They sell all of the bikes they produce eventually. They feel they dont need to spend the money to compete with the other brands for a product that is sold on such a small scale. They do put money in to contingency and advertising. I don't see big Suzuki racing teams in the near future here or in Europe. But they will continue to be in local racing and offroad riding. We are better off with them as opposed to without them. I hope they don't pull out of MX completely.
Of course they sell all the bikes they produce, they pawn them off on their dealers. Who have to flooring on them until they can be sold the following year at a highly discounted rate, and at a loss for the dealer.

Zoom is not the only one, it is how the manufacturers operate. But having leftovers is bad for profit.
deadlo
7/8/2020 5:57pm
Hey guys, one question....

Do you get excited this time of year too? All the 2021 model talk

Post a reply to: Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

The Latest