Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

7/3/2020 9:19am
Fingers crossed, maybe they are just in the midst of a revamp process. The yellow bike needs to stick around. Biggest gripe anyone has on the new bike is 1.) suspension is too stiff...big deal, almost everyone changes spring rates on new bikes. 2.) No electric start...I would say Im not alone in thinking this is an ok thing. These bikes kick over so easily and I never worry about a battery or starter motor. One less thing to remove on engine rebuild too. 3.) Low on power... Take the money you saved on buying the cheapest bike (I bought my brand new 2019 rmz250 for $5800 OTD), put on a pipe, super flo kit, and a GET ECU. You'll still be cheaper than other brand new bikes and you will have a bike that can be tuned to your riding style
MotofactioN
7/3/2020 9:49am
Fingers crossed, maybe they are just in the midst of a revamp process. The yellow bike needs to stick around. Biggest gripe anyone has on the...
Fingers crossed, maybe they are just in the midst of a revamp process. The yellow bike needs to stick around. Biggest gripe anyone has on the new bike is 1.) suspension is too stiff...big deal, almost everyone changes spring rates on new bikes. 2.) No electric start...I would say Im not alone in thinking this is an ok thing. These bikes kick over so easily and I never worry about a battery or starter motor. One less thing to remove on engine rebuild too. 3.) Low on power... Take the money you saved on buying the cheapest bike (I bought my brand new 2019 rmz250 for $5800 OTD), put on a pipe, super flo kit, and a GET ECU. You'll still be cheaper than other brand new bikes and you will have a bike that can be tuned to your riding style
The kickstart on these zooks really are crazy easy. My 18 Rmz450 is 1 easy kick. I remember thinking about how a 450 will be SO HARD to kick. Nope Cool
Talisker
7/3/2020 10:28am
Fingers crossed, maybe they are just in the midst of a revamp process. The yellow bike needs to stick around. Biggest gripe anyone has on the...
The kickstart on these zooks really are crazy easy. My 18 Rmz450 is 1 easy kick. I remember thinking about how a 450 will be SO...
The kickstart on these zooks really are crazy easy. My 18 Rmz450 is 1 easy kick. I remember thinking about how a 450 will be SO HARD to kick. Nope Cool
Even though electric start is nice, I much prefer a kickstarter. It’s one less thing to worry about. My luck, the battery or starter would die miles into a trail, or the furthest point on the track to my truck.
JWACK
7/3/2020 10:40am
Suzuki, if your listening. Produce a new 350 with Kyb suspension. You won’t regret it.

The Shop

byke
7/3/2020 11:26am
It's weird how the '18 created actually created more pressure to keep creating new generations, when everyone knows they like to really get their mileage from each generation. I'd say we've got at least a couple/few years to go.
OLDMOTO
7/5/2020 7:52pm
I was at Cahuilla today (Sunday). There were people there riding Suzukis. They didn't know any better and were having fun. I tried to explain to them that their bikes were shit and they couldn't possibly be fun. They were just to dumb to understand. A couple of them were even so stupid and uninformed that they were going faster than me.
Brent
7/5/2020 8:19pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I was at Cahuilla today (Sunday). There were people there riding Suzukis. They didn't know any better and were having fun. I tried to explain to...
I was at Cahuilla today (Sunday). There were people there riding Suzukis. They didn't know any better and were having fun. I tried to explain to them that their bikes were shit and they couldn't possibly be fun. They were just to dumb to understand. A couple of them were even so stupid and uninformed that they were going faster than me.
"Stupid Fast"??

How hot was it there today? It was hot as hell in Temecula, so it must have been ridiculous at Cahuilla..
mx_563
7/5/2020 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 8:41pm
Brent, I beg of you....change your avatar. It's creeping me out. It's hideous.
OLDMOTO
7/5/2020 8:56pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I was at Cahuilla today (Sunday). There were people there riding Suzukis. They didn't know any better and were having fun. I tried to explain to...
Brent wrote:
"Stupid Fast"??

How hot was it there today? It was hot as hell in Temecula, so it must have been ridiculous at Cahuilla..
93° was a small crowd.
7/5/2020 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2020 9:50pm
Haha I love how many Suzuki fans are in here frothing yellow... it’s brilliant!

For me I’ll invest in a brand that is invested in the advancement and technology of the sport. Right now that means any other brand, but in particular KTM group. And no, outboard motors and Postie bikes DO NOT count.
Just my humble opinion.

Downvote away and keep on frothing!!
7/6/2020 6:17am
Joel Spoor wrote:
Haha I love how many Suzuki fans are in here frothing yellow... it’s brilliant! For me I’ll invest in a brand that is invested in the...

For me I’ll invest in a brand that is invested in the advancement and technology of the sport. Right now that means any other brand, but in particular KTM group. And no, outboard motors and Postie bikes DO NOT count.
Just my humble opinion.

I definitely understand investing in a company who investing in the new development. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However, often times individuals choose to invest in businesses to help them stay afloat in hope that the future will bring brighter days for the company. In our sport, the choice in bikes is already limited. Additionally, not every rider has local access to certain dealers. In my area, KTM and Husky are more rare to see because there are no dealers. That really narrows down the choices when buying new. Therefore, watching a brand like Suzuki who has found lots of success in the past, starting to struggle is not an encouraging sight. Losing any manufacturer would be awful, regardless of people's opinions about them. Also, posting antagonizing remarks that are encouraging down voting is immature and unhelpful.
7/6/2020 6:29am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 6:35am
Joel Spoor wrote:
Haha I love how many Suzuki fans are in here frothing yellow... it’s brilliant! For me I’ll invest in a brand that is invested in the...

Just my humble opinion.

IMO, both makes contribute to the advancement of the sport. As I see it, that advancement requires both bleeding-edge and budget-oriented bikes as options in the marketplace.
deadlo
7/6/2020 7:50am
We live in a country that everyone has to believe what they own is the best.

Your bike doesn’t win a shootout, it’s because shootouts suck. You then go on making excuses for what you own. “Actually, I prefer a kick starter,” “actually, I prefer that it weigh 600 lbs heavier,” “actually, I prefer the shock since I change everything about that anyway,” “Actually, I prefer the bike to be slower” etc etc.

You bought the bike based off the price. Stop acting like if literally any of the other manufacturers new bikes were the same price you would still go suzuki lol.
7/6/2020 8:06am
deadlo wrote:
We live in a country that everyone has to believe what they own is the best. Your bike doesn’t win a shootout, it’s because shootouts suck...

Your bike doesn’t win a shootout, it’s because shootouts suck. You then go on making excuses for what you own. “Actually, I prefer a kick starter,” “actually, I prefer that it weigh 600 lbs heavier,” “actually, I prefer the shock since I change everything about that anyway,” “Actually, I prefer the bike to be slower” etc etc.

You bought the bike based off the price. Stop acting like if literally any of the other manufacturers new bikes were the same price you would still go suzuki lol.
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER, many people, myself included, do actually prefer a kickstarter. Many people, myself included, can ride a less powerful bike faster around a track than the highest horsepower counterpart. Barcia ran a stock engine on his yz450f overseas at supercross and raved about how much more in control he felt and could use the engine much more to its fullest potential because of the less power. Many people, myself included, enjoy the process of adding parts to their machines and seeing the changes it makes to the bike, something that a lowest purchase priced new bike allows me to do. You are making assumptions toward a group of buyers/riders that simply isn't validated by anything other than opinion.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/6/2020 8:07am
deadlo wrote:
We live in a country that everyone has to believe what they own is the best. Your bike doesn’t win a shootout, it’s because shootouts suck...

Let's clarify your statement.

The bikes were bought because of the VALUE (as in you get a LOT of bike, very reliable on at that, for a very good price point to market). There's a difference between price and value. Suzukis are a tremendous value. They fulfill a niche' need in a niche' market.
BobPA
7/6/2020 8:27am
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER...
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER, many people, myself included, do actually prefer a kickstarter. Many people, myself included, can ride a less powerful bike faster around a track than the highest horsepower counterpart. Barcia ran a stock engine on his yz450f overseas at supercross and raved about how much more in control he felt and could use the engine much more to its fullest potential because of the less power. Many people, myself included, enjoy the process of adding parts to their machines and seeing the changes it makes to the bike, something that a lowest purchase priced new bike allows me to do. You are making assumptions toward a group of buyers/riders that simply isn't validated by anything other than opinion.
How many of "you people" prefer to hand crank their cars?

No one prefers a kick starter, stop being ridiculous.
MXer391
7/6/2020 8:36am
deadlo wrote:

I can go buy a 2020 KX 450 and a 2020 RMZ 450 for about the exact same price and if I was going to buy one today I'd buy the Suzuki. I've ridden both bikes and the KX is a great bike with electric start and hydraulic clutch but I have seen first hand that there's some issues with reliability. There's a thread here that covers some of those issues. So I'm gonna have to disagree with your statement about price.

BTW, I own a KTM as my main race bike and I'm financially stable enough to purchase any bike I want.
deadlo
7/6/2020 8:36am
deadlo wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:
Let's clarify your statement. The bikes were bought because of the VALUE (as in you get a LOT of bike, very reliable on at that, for...

The bikes were bought because of the VALUE (as in you get a LOT of bike, very reliable on at that, for a very good price point to market). There's a difference between price and value. Suzukis are a tremendous value. They fulfill a niche' need in a niche' market.
What? My point can still be proven here, again, if all manufacturers were the same price as i said, you would not get the suzuki. I never said the price point isn’t a great value for what you get. It absolutely is. But my point was you guys getting this value bike and acting like it’s the greatest thing. It’s def a good bike, but you guys are getting full of yourselves on how good you think it is when I almost doubt many of you spent time on other new bikes.
7/6/2020 8:42am
Some true, some false. If I had a choice of every bike at the same price I would not buy a Suzuki that is true. HOWEVER...
BobPA wrote:

Wow. What is really ridiculous is YOU informing ME of MY preferences. Good to know others out there will take care of my personal choices and opinions for me. Also, unsure if you have ever actually crank started a car and compared it to kickstarting a dirt bike. These two things are not the same. Perhaps you's like to draw comparisons between steam engines and DC electric motors next? Take your own advice and "stop being ridiculous."
MotofactioN
7/6/2020 8:44am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 8:46am
BobPA wrote:

That’s not even a valid point to make. We just started getting E start on dirtbikes.

Don’t act like you weren’t kickstarting a dirtbike 5 years ago.

Were you handcranking your car a couple years ago too? You act like a kickstarter is a caveman thing.

Ever started a generator or a walking lawnmower with a pull string? Are those cavemen inventions too?
7/6/2020 8:53am
deadlo wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:
Let's clarify your statement. The bikes were bought because of the VALUE (as in you get a LOT of bike, very reliable on at that, for...

deadlo wrote:
What? My point can still be proven here, again, if all manufacturers were the same price as i said, you would not get the suzuki. I...
What? My point can still be proven here, again, if all manufacturers were the same price as i said, you would not get the suzuki. I never said the price point isn’t a great value for what you get. It absolutely is. But my point was you guys getting this value bike and acting like it’s the greatest thing. It’s def a good bike, but you guys are getting full of yourselves on how good you think it is when I almost doubt many of you spent time on other new bikes.
Again, assuming based on only opinion. I actually rode a 2019 ktm 250sxf back to back with the 2019 rmz250 and a 2019 kx250f. If my skill set was different there is a possibility I would be faster on the KTM. After a day of riding, I was instantly the most comfortable on the Suzuki, then Kawi, the KTM. The KTM was clearly most aggressive, powerful, and drag race fastest. In lap times, I was slowest on the KTM. Kawasaki and Suzuki were nearly identical. I chose Suzuki because I felt the most comfortable on it quickest and in moto, comfort in the machine is very personal and important to confidence.
b_kowalsk
7/6/2020 9:03am
BobPA wrote:

Wrong. Just because YOU prefer electric start doesn't mean everyone wants it. Some of us prefer simplicity.
A car with a large multi cylinder engine is not a fair comparison.
DynoDan22
7/6/2020 9:20am
I find electric start to be the most beneficial when you're 15-20 minutes into a moto and stall it because your're tired. One blip of the button and you're back underway. It makes a huge difference for me. When I'm fresh, I don't mind a kicker. 20 minutes into my moto in 100* F weather and I stall it, the magic button is truly magical.
Forty
7/6/2020 9:24am
The percentage of sissy's is approximately the same as it's always been, as is the percentage of dipshits, with a lot of crossover, however the advent of the internet exposed them, so they're loose.

JWACK
7/6/2020 9:30am
My 1976 kz900 in-line 4 cylinder has a kickstarter. And it works fairly easy.
deadlo
7/6/2020 9:34am
You’re being that guy......

Yeah we love the e start because we’re such sissies and can’t start a “real” bike right? Lmfao. Suzuki owners man. U guys are the best in the biz. These threads never fail
7/6/2020 9:36am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 9:47am
JWACK wrote:
My 1976 kz900 in-line 4 cylinder has a kickstarter. And it works fairly easy.
The multicylinders are easier to start -- more firing, and smaller torque impulses per rotation. The old kickstart long-stroke big singles and big twins are a chore with the classic kickstarting ritual (find TDC, push through, reclock and kick).

That said, modern sportbikes are running a whole lot more compression than the old air-cooled models
7/6/2020 9:41am
deadlo wrote:
You’re being that guy...... Yeah we love the e start because we’re such sissies and can’t start a “real” bike right? Lmfao. Suzuki owners man. U...
You’re being that guy......

Yeah we love the e start because we’re such sissies and can’t start a “real” bike right? Lmfao. Suzuki owners man. U guys are the best in the biz. These threads never fail
I must have missed where anyone made the comment “can’t start a real bike.” Conclusion being drawn without anything to back it up.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/6/2020 9:55am
Being the manufacturer who manufactures the "worst" 450cc MX bike is like being the poorest billionaire, the least-attractive cheerleader, or the slowest nitromethane funny car. Still pretty F'ing rad.

Some of you guys act like Suzuki should just give up, since the magazines picked the yellow bike last.

Post a reply to: Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

The Latest