Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

Timo_2824
5/3/2020 5:25am
colintrax wrote:
Spoiled or reasonable? 7 hours of driving every weekend, just to go ride? Come on now, you know that's ridiculous. I'll do a 7 hour round...
Spoiled or reasonable? 7 hours of driving every weekend, just to go ride? Come on now, you know that's ridiculous. I'll do a 7 hour round trip a few times a year. And I'll camp out, make a weekend out of it. Anything more than an hour makes the mountain bike look real good.
It's a 2 hour drive one way for me to get to a decent mountain bike trail...
5/3/2020 6:29am
Recent bikes I’ve owned: 16 yz250f, 17 yz250fx, 18 350 xcf, 19 rm-z 250, 19 crf250rx. I’ve enjoyed them all and had success on each racing nationally. None are perfect and all require some small adjustments to fit my needs. I love the Suzuki and I look forward to buying a second one - even if it’s “old outdated overweight” and continues to have slower development.

JAFO92
5/3/2020 6:31am
Lookin' good Nate. If you have time shoot me a PM about the Hoosiers you are running and how they are working out. Thanks.

The Shop

GODZILLA
5/3/2020 7:13am
They're cheap and down on performance: a perfect match for a Zook.
Grinning
mikec265
5/3/2020 7:34am
mikec265 wrote:
I rode a 18 husky 450 today and I'm a Suzuki guy. No matter what bike I buy the suspension needs redone. If I wasn't such...
I rode a 18 husky 450 today and I'm a Suzuki guy. No matter what bike I buy the suspension needs redone. If I wasn't such a cheap skate I'd by a Husky over a Suzuki. Since I'm a cheap ass I'd buy the Suzuki and still not be much faster. Those Brembo front brakes are pretty friggin awesome.
One thing I don't understand is, I rode an 18 ktm 450 and the 18 husky. The Husky turned better and the power was easier to control. Hated the KTM and loved the Husky. I can't figure it out. I thought they were basically the same bikes.
captmoto wrote:
The composite subframe on the Husky give a less stiff feel. Suspension ans ECU settings are a different spec than the KTM and the Husky has...
The composite subframe on the Husky give a less stiff feel. Suspension ans ECU settings are a different spec than the KTM and the Husky has a baffle in the muffler to smooth the hit. They feel different on purpose.
I get that part, but the Husky liked to lean in turns where the KTM felt similar to the older KTMs and didn't like to lean over. The Husky was set up by an ex local pro, and the KTM was set up by a local 60 year old. IDK if suspension settings can make that drastic of a difference. I was just amazed at how that Husky would do whatever I wanted, but the KTM felt so bad in the handling department. Had I not ridden that Husky I'd still think those bikes sucked because the KTM handled so bad in the turns for some reason.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/3/2020 8:09am
I'm going to point something out here: make no mistake, the Suzuki engineers in Japan are making the best bike they can with the financial and cultural resources their company will give them. They are not interested in building the "cheapest" machine; that aspect comes from dealers, who know they have to discount a Suzuki to sell one right now. If Suzuki released a world-beating 450 for 2021, the dealers would be charging full pop for one.
What is probably happening in Japan is not that Suzuki is asleep that wheel. Rather, they are conceding market share in a category that does not earn much profit anyway, while focusing on kicking Mercury and Yamaha's asses in the marine engine space. And they are succeeding.
5/3/2020 8:26am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 8:34am
My little AX team was on KTMs for the last seven years. Suddenly, no KTM dealers would give me the time of day when it came...
My little AX team was on KTMs for the last seven years. Suddenly, no KTM dealers would give me the time of day when it came to a deal for 3-4 bikes. It's not like I was asking for free bikes, I pay for them. We went with Suzuki because of price. Yes, the kickstarter seems like the Flintstones, but damn I've been kicking bikes for 60 years. We beat a lot of other brands this year and my riders were entry level Pros. They were happy to be on any bike I sponsored them on and if we ever start racing again it will be on Suzukis.

biondo wrote:
What mods did you make? And are they 250 or 450? I have a new 250 rmz love it but at my weight softer springs are...
What mods did you make? And are they 250 or 450? I have a new 250 rmz love it but at my weight softer springs are my next purchase...Hope y’all get racing soon! Stay Safe!
We have always tried to stick with stock motors in AX. Mostly for reliability, but since this effort has always been out of my back pocket, cost is a big factor. FMF pipes, Wiseco high compression pistons, Rekluse Core Manual clutches,Race Tech suspension are the performance mods. All 250RMZs. We do have AnkleSaver pegs by Fastway, Motoseat covers, Acerbis plastic, Mika bars and sprockets and Pirelli tires. Do I sound like a podium interview here? Thanks to all our fine sponsors! Let me make this final comment. These are the first Suzukis that I have owned since a TM125 back in 1974.
malachi177
5/3/2020 8:32am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 8:46am
malachi177 wrote:
Fuck the haters. Love my ‘19. Its comical reading people here pushing “their opinion” about the bike like its the Gospel😂..yes deadlo I mean you. Thx...
Fuck the haters. Love my ‘19. Its comical reading people here pushing “their opinion” about the bike like its the Gospel😂..yes deadlo I mean you. Thx Team Green, this bike IS very good off road🤘🏻‘
deadlo wrote:
😘😘
GODZILLA wrote:
You know even Travis rides a KTM these days?
Gotta change your number, man, or switch to orange.
Laughing
🎣
Sierra Ranger
5/3/2020 9:06am
A Suzuki RMZ450 is 29 pounds heavier than a KTM 250 two-stroke. Even a trail rider will notice 29 pounds. In the old days, that would...
A Suzuki RMZ450 is 29 pounds heavier than a KTM 250 two-stroke. Even a trail rider will notice 29 pounds. In the old days, that would be like comparing an XR600 to a 250 motocross bike.
But why would you? Its not like anyone on the line was ever racing an XR600 against a 250 motocross bike? We may as well compare...
But why would you?

Its not like anyone on the line was ever racing an XR600 against a 250 motocross bike?

We may as well compare the XR600 to Mick Doohan's NSR500- same principle, right?

Oooohhhhhhh..... You mean for trail riding? Now I get you. Super SUPER important to have a light bike for trail riding..Whistling
Yeah, that's my point. It's crazy that a bike that weighs 29 pounds more is in the same mx class.
I had an RMZ and raced it for two seasons. One time I took it up some rocky trails in the woods and turned around and came back. Of course weight matters for off-road when you're going through tight stuff. That's why 250 two-strokes are popular for off-road. A top heavy bike with a crazy hot engine is no fun on trails.
They make an RMZ450 off-road version. It weighs 272 pounds. That's 50-some pounds heavier than my RM250- crazy.
GODZILLA
5/3/2020 2:05pm
Luckily, so far, JGR has had a great year.
Like the years before.
Wink
biondo
5/3/2020 2:55pm
Recent bikes I’ve owned: 16 yz250f, 17 yz250fx, 18 350 xcf, 19 rm-z 250, 19 crf250rx. I’ve enjoyed them all and had success on each racing...
Recent bikes I’ve owned: 16 yz250f, 17 yz250fx, 18 350 xcf, 19 rm-z 250, 19 crf250rx. I’ve enjoyed them all and had success on each racing nationally. None are perfect and all require some small adjustments to fit my needs. I love the Suzuki and I look forward to buying a second one - even if it’s “old outdated overweight” and continues to have slower development.

Looking professional out there!! On your 250 rmz what adjustments on suspension did you make ? As I have a 2020 dialed setting all way soft ...next was going to remove some oil ....
Thanks Warren
captmoto
5/3/2020 9:45pm
mikec265 wrote:
I get that part, but the Husky liked to lean in turns where the KTM felt similar to the older KTMs and didn't like to lean...
I get that part, but the Husky liked to lean in turns where the KTM felt similar to the older KTMs and didn't like to lean over. The Husky was set up by an ex local pro, and the KTM was set up by a local 60 year old. IDK if suspension settings can make that drastic of a difference. I was just amazed at how that Husky would do whatever I wanted, but the KTM felt so bad in the handling department. Had I not ridden that Husky I'd still think those bikes sucked because the KTM handled so bad in the turns for some reason.
You nailed it. It's all about set up. It sounds like neither bike was set up the same or stock. If you took both bikes and let the ex-pro set them up they would probably feel similar and better to you. If you but either bike you will need to take some time to get it set up properly for you.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/3/2020 10:13pm
A Suzuki RMZ450 is 29 pounds heavier than a KTM 250 two-stroke. Even a trail rider will notice 29 pounds. In the old days, that would...
A Suzuki RMZ450 is 29 pounds heavier than a KTM 250 two-stroke. Even a trail rider will notice 29 pounds. In the old days, that would be like comparing an XR600 to a 250 motocross bike.
But why would you? Its not like anyone on the line was ever racing an XR600 against a 250 motocross bike? We may as well compare...
But why would you?

Its not like anyone on the line was ever racing an XR600 against a 250 motocross bike?

We may as well compare the XR600 to Mick Doohan's NSR500- same principle, right?

Oooohhhhhhh..... You mean for trail riding? Now I get you. Super SUPER important to have a light bike for trail riding..Whistling
Yeah, that's my point. It's crazy that a bike that weighs 29 pounds more is in the same mx class. I had an RMZ and raced...
Yeah, that's my point. It's crazy that a bike that weighs 29 pounds more is in the same mx class.
I had an RMZ and raced it for two seasons. One time I took it up some rocky trails in the woods and turned around and came back. Of course weight matters for off-road when you're going through tight stuff. That's why 250 two-strokes are popular for off-road. A top heavy bike with a crazy hot engine is no fun on trails.
They make an RMZ450 off-road version. It weighs 272 pounds. That's 50-some pounds heavier than my RM250- crazy.
How is it relevant to compare an RMZ450 to a 250 2 stroke? I’m not being a smart ass, I just really want to know.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/3/2020 10:41pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 10:42pm
Spooner wrote:
The real proof they are asleep at the wheel is that they STILL don't have a side by side.
Why would they bother? People talk so much shit about their dirt bikes, why wouldn’t that carry over to side by sides? People wouldn’t buy it just because it has the name Suzuki and they would feel like hypocrite if they did buy one.
Sierra Ranger
5/3/2020 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 10:52pm
But why would you?

Yeah, that's my point. It's crazy that a bike that weighs 29 pounds more is in the same mx class. I had an RMZ and raced...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
How is it relevant to compare an RMZ450 to a 250 2 stroke? I’m not being a smart ass, I just really want to know.
I guess it's because in AMA pro competition 250 two-strokes and 450 are considered the same class. So it seems fair to compare them.
For me personally, it's between a 250 two-stroke and 250 four-stroke. That's a closer comparison. But it's weird to think I probably won't be much faster on a 2020 RMZ250 than I am on a 2004 RM250 that is faster, more lightweight, and set up for me.
But if I was looking at 250 four-stroke, when you can get an RMZ for $5600 right now, that leaves a lot of room for modifications, dollar-wise, before you get into a $9k bike from another brand.
Motofinne
5/3/2020 11:25pm
Spooner wrote:
The real proof they are asleep at the wheel is that they STILL don't have a side by side.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Why would they bother? People talk so much shit about their dirt bikes, why wouldn’t that carry over to side by sides? People wouldn’t buy it...
Why would they bother? People talk so much shit about their dirt bikes, why wouldn’t that carry over to side by sides? People wouldn’t buy it just because it has the name Suzuki and they would feel like hypocrite if they did buy one.
If that would be the case and mentality at Suzuki, they might as well just fold tomorrow.
MXMattii
5/4/2020 3:53pm
Where can I find it? At the start of the podcast, middle, the end?
Subotai
5/4/2020 5:57pm
MXMattii wrote:
Go to 51:50 and listen. Another caller asks about the amateur rm army program toward the middle and keefer states his gut tells him they’re not going to put much effort in that either. Sad.
Subotai
7/2/2020 4:19pm
And now Matthew is saying JGR may be staying with Suzuki next year. Every time that final nail is being driven, they stick a pinky finger out to stop the lid from being shut.
Sierra Ranger
7/2/2020 5:10pm
MXMattii wrote:
Subotai wrote:
Go to 51:50 and listen. Another caller asks about the amateur rm army program toward the middle and keefer states his gut tells him they’re not...
Go to 51:50 and listen. Another caller asks about the amateur rm army program toward the middle and keefer states his gut tells him they’re not going to put much effort in that either. Sad.
Go to what point in the podcast and listen?
Matthes: Somebody say?:
CLT809
Fantasy
9th
7/2/2020 8:19pm
MXMattii wrote:
Subotai wrote:
Go to 51:50 and listen. Another caller asks about the amateur rm army program toward the middle and keefer states his gut tells him they’re not...
Go to what point in the podcast and listen? Matthes: Somebody say?: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/02/435872/s1200_R_430752_1137552825.jpeg.jpg[/img]
3 hours 56 minutes in.
Subotai
7/2/2020 9:10pm
MXMattii wrote:
Subotai wrote:
Go to what point in the podcast and listen? Matthes: Somebody say?: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/02/435872/s1200_R_430752_1137552825.jpeg.jpg[/img]
1hr 15mins homie.
tek14
7/3/2020 12:43am
Wangben wrote:
:laugh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/03/435898/s1200_unknown.jpg[/img]
Laughing

They are lucky to have their 2008 models still out ready for next season to please President.
MotofactioN
7/3/2020 3:38am
There’s a place for Suzuki. Not everyone needs all the new tech on bikes. And I like saving money Cool
Dougy1
7/3/2020 4:24am
There’s a place for Suzuki. Not everyone needs all the new tech on bikes. And I like saving money Cool
I spent 15 years dreaming of getting back on a dirt bike after racing 80’s and 125’s as a kid. Finally I got a Suzuki 250 purely on price point and I fucking love it.. don’t care about the fancy bits .. ..I’m just loving a modern 4 stroke and riding dirt bikes again So easy to ride .. a lot of crew are a bit precious I think
biondo
7/3/2020 7:12am
Dougy1 wrote:
I spent 15 years dreaming of getting back on a dirt bike after racing 80’s and 125’s as a kid. Finally I got a Suzuki 250...
I spent 15 years dreaming of getting back on a dirt bike after racing 80’s and 125’s as a kid. Finally I got a Suzuki 250 purely on price point and I fucking love it.. don’t care about the fancy bits .. ..I’m just loving a modern 4 stroke and riding dirt bikes again So easy to ride .. a lot of crew are a bit precious I think
Great your getting back to riding! I was in same spot...but didn’t want to buy used or spend 9-10000.$ My last new bike was a new 1972 husky 250WR !! My 2020 250RMZ
Is high tech! Build Quality and performance and reliability has been spot on!! Only thing I’ve done is change springs from 5.1 to 4.2
At 147 lbs stock was a bit stiff...really enjoying the the New Ride! If I live long enough to buy another new bike the Husky 250 2stroke or Ktm is on my list 🤠
Stay Safe out there!! Happy Fourth!!
7/3/2020 7:55am
When I decided to get a bike again a few years ago I looked at a few, but the best deals by far were on Suzuki's. I had ridden them in the past and really liked them, so I ended up getting a leftover 2015 RMZ250 for 5k out the door and I love it. I'm not going to be racing and I'm not a good enough rider to get anywhere near what the bike is capable of out of it even in stock form, so for a guy like me I think they're a great option.

Post a reply to: Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

The Latest