Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

husky125
5/1/2020 11:08am
deadlo wrote:
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another...
Yeah they’re just going to keep putting the same crappy bike out each year and you guys will keep supporting that.... hope suzuki doesn’t get another dollar for their mx bikes until they actually put some effort into the sport.
TheLsho wrote:
Oh because they aren't putting in the effort that you want to see? Not sure how that equates to not putting any effort in. Go watch...
Oh because they aren't putting in the effort that you want to see? Not sure how that equates to not putting any effort in.

Go watch Ricky, Chad, Dungey, Stew, or Roczen on those crappy old bikes. Tell me how much that bike was holding them back. Or how much it would hold you back.
biondo wrote:
Hey just wondering what is so Much better on Kawasaki yamaha Honda etc besides electric start ? I’ve been reading more repair issues with them than...
Hey just wondering what is so Much better on Kawasaki yamaha Honda etc besides electric start ? I’ve been reading more repair issues with them than Suzuki on this site...
At the price point 4999.00 for a rmz 250 what else is there at that price for a new bike??? Loving my 2020 250 rmz
Plus I like no batteries 🔋 less to maintain...

$4999.00 for a 2020? I'm in the Midwest and haven't seen a price like that. I may have to look around a little harder because at that price I'd buy one for sure.
biondo
5/1/2020 12:02pm
TheLsho wrote:
Oh because they aren't putting in the effort that you want to see? Not sure how that equates to not putting any effort in. Go watch...
Oh because they aren't putting in the effort that you want to see? Not sure how that equates to not putting any effort in.

Go watch Ricky, Chad, Dungey, Stew, or Roczen on those crappy old bikes. Tell me how much that bike was holding them back. Or how much it would hold you back.
biondo wrote:
Hey just wondering what is so Much better on Kawasaki yamaha Honda etc besides electric start ? I’ve been reading more repair issues with them than...
Hey just wondering what is so Much better on Kawasaki yamaha Honda etc besides electric start ? I’ve been reading more repair issues with them than Suzuki on this site...
At the price point 4999.00 for a rmz 250 what else is there at that price for a new bike??? Loving my 2020 250 rmz

husky125 wrote:
$4999.00 for a 2020? I'm in the Midwest and haven't seen a price like that. I may have to look around a little harder because at...
$4999.00 for a 2020? I'm in the Midwest and haven't seen a price like that. I may have to look around a little harder because at that price I'd buy one for sure.
Hi call around and get otd prices even out of state ...and show sales guy they will try hard to get their price but walk if you don’t like price😎💰 I had to call a few dealers but I would think in these economic times they will do what they have to sell you a bike !
Good luck! Stay Safe let me know how it goes 😎 Warren
GODZILLA
5/1/2020 12:11pm
Suzuki R&D guys let go?
You mean there ACTUALLY was a R&D department?
Gotta wonder why so essential workers were fired...
Laughing
husky125
5/1/2020 2:03pm
biondo wrote:

husky125 wrote:
$4999.00 for a 2020? I'm in the Midwest and haven't seen a price like that. I may have to look around a little harder because at...
biondo wrote:
Hi call around and get otd prices even out of state ...and show sales guy they will try hard to get their price but walk if...
Hi call around and get otd prices even out of state ...and show sales guy they will try hard to get their price but walk if you don’t like price😎💰 I had to call a few dealers but I would think in these economic times they will do what they have to sell you a bike !
Good luck! Stay Safe let me know how it goes 😎 Warren
Much appreciated Warren, thank you!!

The Shop

reded
5/1/2020 2:46pm
I see two different sides to this Suzuki thing. Their bike is outdated but serviceable and has more potential than 99% of the riders on the planet but it still appeals to the crowd who don’t need the shootout winner year after year. If you’re THAT late to the party, what’s the use in even going, start you’re own party.

The other side of the coin tells me that maybe they’re the ones doing it right. Instead of throwing money at the bike, put it into contingency and let the grassroots guys earn some cash at the end of the day. If it were easier to make some money at the amateur level, there may be more people still involved or at least interested in the sport.
reded
5/1/2020 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 2:51pm
Not sure why but... double post.
kiwifan
5/1/2020 8:33pm
reded wrote:
I see two different sides to this Suzuki thing. Their bike is outdated but serviceable and has more potential than 99% of the riders on the...
I see two different sides to this Suzuki thing. Their bike is outdated but serviceable and has more potential than 99% of the riders on the planet but it still appeals to the crowd who don’t need the shootout winner year after year. If you’re THAT late to the party, what’s the use in even going, start you’re own party.

The other side of the coin tells me that maybe they’re the ones doing it right. Instead of throwing money at the bike, put it into contingency and let the grassroots guys earn some cash at the end of the day. If it were easier to make some money at the amateur level, there may be more people still involved or at least interested in the sport.
99% that is a bit harsh isnt it?

I agree with all that the RMZ450 is a decent bike, yes it is down a few (not just a couple) HP compared to others, has lesser suspension ability than others, doesnt have ES like others but hey its a decent bike.

Now let us say (for arguements sake) you have a group of riders of the same ability/skills/etc that always race each other, and they all have the other brands apart from one who rides the Zook, 99 times out of 100 the other brand guys will go faster, so what does Zook guy have to do? he has to spend a lot more money getting more HP or getting his suspension upgraded (but he thinks that is ok I got my Zook cheaper so will only end up paying what the others have), then he is AS fast as the others and may definitely win more but then the other guys then hop up their other brands....

Now if you only trail ride, or race locally and perhaps dont give a shit about winning, or are a pro and race against intermediate/expert riders, etc etc then yeah thats great, the Zook may be ideal

Yes, the Suzuki contingency is very very good. And again, the RMZ is a decent bike but certainly not by any means a great bike, compared to others.

Just my humble opinion....
5/1/2020 9:17pm
kiwifan wrote:
99% that is a bit harsh isnt it? I agree with all that the RMZ450 is a decent bike, yes it is down a few (not...

I agree with all that the RMZ450 is a decent bike, yes it is down a few (not just a couple) HP compared to others, has lesser suspension ability than others, doesnt have ES like others but hey its a decent bike.

Now let us say (for arguements sake) you have a group of riders of the same ability/skills/etc that always race each other, and they all have the other brands apart from one who rides the Zook, 99 times out of 100 the other brand guys will go faster, so what does Zook guy have to do? he has to spend a lot more money getting more HP or getting his suspension upgraded (but he thinks that is ok I got my Zook cheaper so will only end up paying what the others have), then he is AS fast as the others and may definitely win more but then the other guys then hop up their other brands....

Now if you only trail ride, or race locally and perhaps dont give a shit about winning, or are a pro and race against intermediate/expert riders, etc etc then yeah thats great, the Zook may be ideal

Yes, the Suzuki contingency is very very good. And again, the RMZ is a decent bike but certainly not by any means a great bike, compared to others.

No.
There are a very select few guys in the world who will need to spend money on a 450 to get more power in order to go faster.
Motocross is not a game of power in the 450 class,
5/1/2020 9:19pm
reded wrote:
I see two different sides to this Suzuki thing. Their bike is outdated but serviceable and has more potential than 99% of the riders on the...

kiwifan wrote:
99% that is a bit harsh isnt it? I agree with all that the RMZ450 is a decent bike, yes it is down a few (not...

True it’s down a few hp but it’s also won’t wear you out and is much more manageable than say the Honda, also the zook has the 49mm forks just like the Honda and kawi. Most people who race or at least professional practice riders get their suspension revalved anyway. You have had the longest and weakest argument in the thread so far ouch
5/1/2020 9:52pm
I’m sitting here thinking to myself how much the RMZ lineup is holding all you local racers back. You may, just maybe might have at least another 4-5 more plastic trophies if the R&D dept would give you guys a tad more.

G😏
deadlo
5/1/2020 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 10:10pm
The rmz is not just slower which is all you guys keep mentioning. It’s a much different power. It also feels straight up unsafe stock after you ride any other brand. It’s basically like riding a tractor around the track.

This isn’t news to anyone and Suzuki knows what is wrong with it. The fact they continue to do nothing is what is so frustrating and in my own opinion should not be supported. You guys say the fixes are easy, cheap, whatever....so why the F hasn’t suzuki made the changes?!

And why do you guys act like your vital weekend warrior opinions are more valid than the shootouts that have guys of all skill levels riding every bike back to back in the same conditions for a length of time.... it’s a last place bike. You will for sure be faster on any other new bike, but maybe that doesn’t matter to you and that’s totally fine. I don’t race anymore, I’m a weekend warrior, my last 450 was an rmz and it sucked, my current bike is a husky and I feel way safer on it in many situations that I feel I would have died on the rmz. My husky is not the best bike either and I’m not too stubborn to admit that nor am I implying that. It’s better than the rmz though for sure.
kiwifan
5/1/2020 11:08pm
reded wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

True it’s down a few hp but it’s also won’t wear you out and is much more manageable than say the Honda, also the zook has...
True it’s down a few hp but it’s also won’t wear you out and is much more manageable than say the Honda, also the zook has the 49mm forks just like the Honda and kawi. Most people who race or at least professional practice riders get their suspension revalved anyway. You have had the longest and weakest argument in the thread so far ouch
It was just my opinion, and to be perfectly clear I dont care if its the weakest
kiwifan
5/1/2020 11:11pm
kiwifan wrote:

No. There are a very select few guys in the world who will need to spend money on a 450 to get more power in order...
No.
There are a very select few guys in the world who will need to spend money on a 450 to get more power in order to go faster.
cool, except that flies in the face of a post earlier in the thread where most RMZ's are modified in his/her area...perhaps they were wrong to modify them ?
5/2/2020 12:08am
Would I be better off with a $5,000 RMZ with kick start and A-Kit or a stock KTM with e start?

I’m a professional practice rider with a dad bod. Bike isn’t holding me back at all. I had a brand new Husky. It wasn’t all that everyone claims.

Is this entire site made up of A class pro riders? Good lord.
GODZILLA
5/2/2020 2:50am
No. There are a very select few guys in the world who will need to spend money on a 450 to get more power in order...
No.
But anyone can use 20 pounds less (and a start button).
Laughing
H4L
5/2/2020 5:23am
As a consumer the decision is very easy why would anyone buy a VW if they can afford a Porsche or a Ferrari.
There are a lot of die hard Zuk fans on this forum that refuse to accept the bike is outdated & not competitive at the higher levels of racing. There is good reason why no top tier Pro is on one.
Joey is the only one that comes to mind & interested to see how he does on the outdated yellow bike. I’ll be the 1st to eat crow if he wins a race on it.

5/2/2020 5:27am
No.
GODZILLA wrote:
Laughing
ahaha you talk about the so "ready to race" Ktm and Husqvarna, most of riders throw away the stock wp
to put ohlins or cone valve...
It's a pity that suzuki don't invest that much on their mx line up, but saying it's outdated i think it's wrong.
The 85 RM is outdated, but still win races at high level!
Pro riders that have been switching from suzuki to kawasaki or husqvarna or other brands are not much faster...
It's the rider and the tuner that are the most important,
if you think your rmz has a lack of hp, just tune it...
And if you want electric start, Valenti is developping it!
5/2/2020 5:27am
kiwifan wrote:
cool, except that flies in the face of a post earlier in the thread where most RMZ's are modified in his/her area...perhaps they were wrong to...
cool, except that flies in the face of a post earlier in the thread where most RMZ's are modified in his/her area...perhaps they were wrong to modify them ?
If people WANT to modify them, its cool, but you suggested that to keep up with their friends on other bikes, they HAD NO OPTION but to make mods. Which is simply not true.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/2/2020 6:14am
H4L wrote:
As a consumer the decision is very easy why would anyone buy a VW if they can afford a Porsche or a Ferrari. There are a...
As a consumer the decision is very easy why would anyone buy a VW if they can afford a Porsche or a Ferrari.
There are a lot of die hard Zuk fans on this forum that refuse to accept the bike is outdated & not competitive at the higher levels of racing. There is good reason why no top tier Pro is on one.
Joey is the only one that comes to mind & interested to see how he does on the outdated yellow bike. I’ll be the 1st to eat crow if he wins a race on it.

So winning a race in the 450 class is the metric that has to be met? Savatgy never won on the kawi 450, is it a bad bike then?

I think just the opposite is true. A highly modded JGR rm-z is good enough for top guys to do well on. It's in the amateurs where some might not have unlimited funds where the bike MIGHT hold some people back.

Put Ken or Eli on a zuke and they would still be winning.
deadlo
5/2/2020 6:23am
ahaha you talk about the so "ready to race" Ktm and Husqvarna, most of riders throw away the stock wp to put ohlins or cone valve...
ahaha you talk about the so "ready to race" Ktm and Husqvarna, most of riders throw away the stock wp
It's a pity that suzuki don't invest that much on their mx line up, but saying it's outdated i think it's wrong.
Pro riders that have been switching from suzuki to kawasaki or husqvarna or other brands are not much faster...
You don’t think it’s outdated 😂😂😂. Wow you guys are just the most hard headed bunch. So loyal to a Japanese company for whatever reason.

Ok so tune it, throw on the electric start that you say is still being developed (lmao), it still has the worst suspension so that needs to be worked on and most say it still sucks, also needs to shed quite a few pounds (not sure how you’ll pull that one off)... all this to be as good as a stock other bike, and how much money do you have invested in it now? Once again bringing the subject in question back...suzuki r&d leaving literally doesn’t matter. They’ve been on vacay for years.
Silas444
5/2/2020 6:32am
All this talk about whether to not any of us can ride a bike to IT'S fullest potential? Who cares? I want a bike that feels so light and well-designed and comfortable it allows me to ride it to MY fullest potential. I've ridden and owned pretty much all of them, and none of them feel similar, let alone the same. Yes, you can get used to anything, including a bike that's the worst in it's class, but you'd have to admit - buying one while knowing that, is a peculiar decision to make.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/2/2020 6:55am
ahaha you talk about the so "ready to race" Ktm and Husqvarna, most of riders throw away the stock wp to put ohlins or cone valve...
deadlo wrote:
You don’t think it’s outdated 😂😂😂. Wow you guys are just the most hard headed bunch. So loyal to a Japanese company for whatever reason. Ok...
You don’t think it’s outdated 😂😂😂. Wow you guys are just the most hard headed bunch. So loyal to a Japanese company for whatever reason.

Ok so tune it, throw on the electric start that you say is still being developed (lmao), it still has the worst suspension so that needs to be worked on and most say it still sucks, also needs to shed quite a few pounds (not sure how you’ll pull that one off)... all this to be as good as a stock other bike, and how much money do you have invested in it now? Once again bringing the subject in question back...suzuki r&d leaving literally doesn’t matter. They’ve been on vacay for years.
it's funny suzuki is the only bike that gets hated on for weight when the yami and honda are heavy as hell too.
H4L
5/2/2020 8:01am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2020 8:10am
soggy wrote:
So winning a race in the 450 class is the metric that has to be met? Savatgy never won on the kawi 450, is it a...
So winning a race in the 450 class is the metric that has to be met? Savatgy never won on the kawi 450, is it a bad bike then?

I think just the opposite is true. A highly modded JGR rm-z is good enough for top guys to do well on. It's in the amateurs where some might not have unlimited funds where the bike MIGHT hold some people back.

Put Ken or Eli on a zuke and they would still be winning.
No not the metric It’s just an example. As mentioned there is a reason why KR94 is no longer on a Zuk. That is a big assumption to think either of those 2 guys could win on that bike.
Lets use Freddie Noren for example since that actually happened. He went from a privateer Honda last year to a factory Zuk. Granted there are some variables involved, but his stats did not improve that much. I think I recall him actually running the pace ET1 had for a couple of laps at one race on the Honda.
For me personally I work hard for my earnings & no way would I use my hard earned money on an out dated bike that the manufacturer doesn’t believe in updating when you have much better options.
5/2/2020 8:21am
People lost their jobs and ya’ll are in here arguing about if the bike was outdated.

Sorry to hear they got let go, it doesn’t bode well for several teams in the paddock. Our company as well has cut our R&D spending, but we have those employees helping in other engineering efforts until we can get their budget back.
yz133rider
5/2/2020 8:23am
soggy wrote:
it's funny suzuki is the only bike that gets hated on for weight when the yami and honda are heavy as hell too.
Part of that is because its the heaviest and it still doesnt even have estart. If it had e start, hydro clutch, wifi tuning, etc etc and weighed what it did, its a different story.

Instead its the most basic, outdated, and the heaviest.
Brtp4
5/2/2020 9:51am
deadlo wrote:
You don’t think it’s outdated 😂😂😂. Wow you guys are just the most hard headed bunch. So loyal to a Japanese company for whatever reason. Ok...

Or, you could just ride it, be 1 sec slower but still be riding a nice new bike, and not worry about beating the guy who spent two grand more than you.

BP
Forty
5/2/2020 9:58am
This thread. Geez.
GODZILLA
5/2/2020 10:08am
No.
GODZILLA wrote:
Laughing
Yeah, thanks to Valenti for making the Zook 35 pound heavier than a Katoom...
Laughing
5/2/2020 10:23am
I don't want to see any brand go by the wayside, or scale down on R&D. Having said that, I have learned to let the Suzuki guys have their bike, and do their thing. I don't have a problem with it because they are still out there having fun on a dirt bike.
5/2/2020 10:29am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2020 10:30am
GODZILLA wrote:
Yeah, thanks to Valenti for making the Zook 35 pound heavier than a Katoom...
Laughing
Don't think you ever ride a Suzuki yourself.
You're french then you must know that Thomas Do; Aubin; Annelot; Duberos don't complain about the weight!

Post a reply to: Suzuki has let go of the R&D department

The Latest