Suzuki decline

BevoDave
6/18/2019 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 10:19am
Other than Chisholm nobody rides the Suzukis. A few years ago they were well-represented at starting gates; have they now vanished?
|
Deja New
6/18/2019 11:12pm
almost like stewart threads.
BevoDave
6/18/2019 11:31pm
Thanks for the info Deja. In reading through this there doesn’t seem to be any “one particular” reason they aren’t better-represented on Saturdays. For us regular joes, a new RMZ seems well-liked and
popular, just curious why 37/40 bikes at an AMA National arent Suzukis?
oldblood
6/18/2019 11:43pm
Suzuki is reading the handwriting on the wall

The Shop

Sluggo77
6/19/2019 2:00am
BevoDave wrote:
Thanks for the info Deja. In reading through this there doesn’t seem to be any “one particular” reason they aren’t better-represented on Saturdays. For us regular...
Thanks for the info Deja. In reading through this there doesn’t seem to be any “one particular” reason they aren’t better-represented on Saturdays. For us regular joes, a new RMZ seems well-liked and
Maybe because the guys racing AMA Nationals are not average joes.
Deja New
6/19/2019 2:24am
BevoDave wrote:
Thanks for the info Deja. In reading through this there doesn’t seem to be any “one particular” reason they aren’t better-represented on Saturdays. For us regular...
One massive reason is they’re not cool enough, for the guys that have to have an orange bike... let’s face it KTM has built a good bike but more important a brand loyalty that starts with the 50cc class and an image of themselves that’s cool and people want kind of like Apple did with the iPod. No one needs one but everyone wanted one.

I’m brand loyal I grew up on Suzuki but even I’ve lost interest so I ride old rm250. They would need a complete rebranding of them selves and their public image in our sport ( not as a brand as a whole ). If they brought out a new 2 stroke or electric bike I’d buy one but for me 450 is way to much to hold onto at 45 and 250f is too much work to maintain.

And as for racing the company has lost interest in spending their own money to race mx and the other brands ( so far ) have not. Yamaha seems to be the next to drop mxgp. If you look at gp bike numbers their are no Suzuki’s most weekends and maybe 2 Honda’s but no one is asking if they are going away.

In the USA Honda has 1 450 title from 2004 with RC Suzuki has quite a few more but Honda has managed to keep their brand popular even without race success.

I’m by no means an expert just my 2c. If they want to be in the MX game they need an entire new line up starting with 50cc or kids eBikes to build the ever important loyalty to a brand from a young age.....
Deja New
6/19/2019 2:27am
BevoDave wrote:
Sluggo77 wrote:
Maybe because the guys racing AMA Nationals are not average joes.
That’s true but not the reason. We all saw what Kenny could do with an out dated bike. im 100% sure if you put Eli marv Kenny on one they would do quite well. But no one is going to pay them the money they want to ride one.
kb228
6/19/2019 3:49am
Theyre not on the decline. Theyre simply not trying in the MX area. Nobody is going to say Suzuki CANT build a bike that can compete with the 2019 shootout winners. They just need to execute.
FerCzD
6/19/2019 3:57am
Another Suzuki thread, SMH
Talisker
6/19/2019 4:43am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 7:44am
Before this turns into a hate on Suzuki thread, here's a quote from the Hunter Lawrence MXA interview.

WAS IT DIFFICULT TO SEE SUZUKI PULL OUT OF MXGP DUE TO FINANCIAL ISSUES WITH THE TEAM. It is not good for the sport. When Suzuki pulls out, you have Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda in there saying “gee, they pulled out, so do we really need to keep continuing?” It is not good for the industry. I hope we keep all the manufacturing brands in the sport as long as we can.

We are a dying niche sport. You may want to root or support any manufacture willing to still produce a dirt bike.
Once one shoe drops, it will be a domino effect.
davistld01
6/19/2019 8:16am
Talisker wrote:
Before this turns into a hate on Suzuki thread, here's a quote from the Hunter Lawrence MXA interview. WAS IT DIFFICULT TO SEE SUZUKI PULL OUT...
Before this turns into a hate on Suzuki thread, here's a quote from the Hunter Lawrence MXA interview.

WAS IT DIFFICULT TO SEE SUZUKI PULL OUT OF MXGP DUE TO FINANCIAL ISSUES WITH THE TEAM. It is not good for the sport. When Suzuki pulls out, you have Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda in there saying “gee, they pulled out, so do we really need to keep continuing?” It is not good for the industry. I hope we keep all the manufacturing brands in the sport as long as we can.

We are a dying niche sport. You may want to root or support any manufacture willing to still produce a dirt bike.
Once one shoe drops, it will be a domino effect.
Damn. Hunter pulls no punches.
Mossy
6/19/2019 8:24am
I’m picking up my new 18 Rmz-450 next week, and the price is literally the only reason I will be able to get it. It’s perfect for me.

I do think that if Suzuki started making 125 and 250 2 strokes again, it would revamp their brand and a lot of people would be excited about a Suzuki.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1651st
6/19/2019 8:28am
Mossy wrote:
I’m picking up my new 18 Rmz-450 next week, and the price is literally the only reason I will be able to get it. It’s perfect...
I’m picking up my new 18 Rmz-450 next week, and the price is literally the only reason I will be able to get it. It’s perfect for me.

I do think that if Suzuki started making 125 and 250 2 strokes again, it would revamp their brand and a lot of people would be excited about a Suzuki.
Agree 💯💯💯💯 same with Honda kawi
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
6/19/2019 8:28am
Personally I think Suzuki has a long term plan to bounce back. They were a power house and I can't see them shutting doors and going home.

Where's Tyler, maybe he can give us some insight on Suszooki
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/19/2019 8:38am
Suzuki shifted their money a couple years before KTM to a sport with fans all over the world, not just in the US.

mikec265
6/19/2019 8:42am
I'll hold on to my 2005 RM250, unless they release a new one that is right there with a KTM. Even then, I might not buy myself more bikes because I have 3 kids and a nephew to take care of with bikes too. If they won't release fast gas or electric kids bikes then we must go elsewhere. I still can't understand why they quit making the JR50. Yes they have a new 4 stroke 50 to compete with the CRF and TTR, but bikes like the PW50 and JR50 have their place before those.
husky125
6/19/2019 8:43am
Mossy wrote:
I’m picking up my new 18 Rmz-450 next week, and the price is literally the only reason I will be able to get it. It’s perfect...

Hey Mossy, I've been tossing around the idea of getting one too, can I ask what kind of price you got yours for?
OldYZRider1
6/19/2019 9:17am
But does it matter if Suzuki weren’t there other than having their name on trackside banners? Is there any evidence to indicate that any manufacturers having bikes racing the pro ranks translates into sales on the showroom floor?

Yamaha has had pretty dismal results in proMX going on a decade now with their YZ450f but I read in this very forum a couple of years ago that more of that model is sold than any of the other brands 450’s. I have also read that RC’s winning ways on Honda’s never helped them sell at the dealers. I think most buyers are more interested in the bottom line price, contingency money payout programs and parts availability than how they do in professional racing.
SEMAC
6/19/2019 9:29am
early wrote:
Suzuki shifted their money a couple years before KTM to a sport with fans all over the world, not just in the US. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/19/355580/s1200_images_1.jpg[/img]
Suzuki shifted their money a couple years before KTM to a sport with fans all over the world, not just in the US.

In Moto GP you have like 200,000 fans, in the Ama nationals you have like 20,000,do the math
I don't blame Suzuki for their lack of support, they have won múltiple championships, and it hasnt translste in Bike sales, is like they have their loyal buyers and nothing elsr
6/19/2019 9:29am
But does it matter if Suzuki weren’t there other than having their name on trackside banners? Is there any evidence to indicate that any manufacturers having...
But does it matter if Suzuki weren’t there other than having their name on trackside banners? Is there any evidence to indicate that any manufacturers having bikes racing the pro ranks translates into sales on the showroom floor?

Yamaha has had pretty dismal results in proMX going on a decade now with their YZ450f but I read in this very forum a couple of years ago that more of that model is sold than any of the other brands 450’s. I have also read that RC’s winning ways on Honda’s never helped them sell at the dealers. I think most buyers are more interested in the bottom line price, contingency money payout programs and parts availability than how they do in professional racing.
When I was a kid I had to have a honda because RC was my hero. I've continued to have Hondas because of how. Startet and I just like them now. IDK if anyone started like I did or not, but Honda hiring RC at that particular time has got them a buyer for life.
Mr. Afterbar
6/19/2019 9:32am
But does it matter if Suzuki weren’t there other than having their name on trackside banners? Is there any evidence to indicate that any manufacturers having...

I think current era KTM goes against everything you posted here.
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/19/2019 9:35am
early wrote:
Suzuki shifted their money a couple years before KTM to a sport with fans all over the world, not just in the US. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/19/355580/s1200_images_1.jpg[/img]

SEMAC wrote:
In Moto GP you have like 200,000 fans, in the Ama nationals you have like 20,000,do the math I don't blame Suzuki for their lack of...
In Moto GP you have like 200,000 fans, in the Ama nationals you have like 20,000,do the math
I don't blame Suzuki for their lack of support, they have won múltiple championships, and it hasnt translste in Bike sales, is like they have their loyal buyers and nothing elsr
Idk who is disliking my post but it is the truth. That's why KTM is tightening off-road/MX budgets. MotoGP has much greater reach to countries that buy <500cc motorcycles which is the bread and butter of these manufacturers. Off-road motorcycling is a niche in a niche.
https://www.gpone.com/en/2016113037290/motogp/motogp-all-the-crowd-coun…
6/19/2019 9:52am
Early is correct. KTM is shifting their focus to Moto GP and street bike sales. That is a true statement. They want that title pretty bad.
As for Suzuki, IDK what will change people’s perception of the brand. I currently own one & thinknits a great value.
But like stated in the “A-Mart” thread, the 250f is lacking. Not for a guy like me but brands like Yam/Kaw/KTM make kids leaving minis like they are part of a “Team” with the effort put into Racing. Suzuki not so much.
People can say “JGR bikes are good” etc. but there are no RMZ250f’s pulling holeshots. even a few Foot pounds of torque can be huge when climbing these hills on national tracks.
So I just went on and on and still don’t know what Suzuki can do to change. It’s all about Culture. KTM is the king of culture currently in MX imo.

Ghost
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/19/2019 10:03am
In supercross right? From where I was watching, amart looked like he was riding good but giving up time on the hills of hipoint last week
JWACK
6/19/2019 10:32am
I’m thinking about getting a 250f of the yellow kind. Wonder if it turns good? I don’t need help going straight. I need help in the turnaroos!
OLDMOTO
6/19/2019 11:13am
I'm a Suzuki guy going back to Joel Robert and Roger Decoster. I finally gave up on them in 2016 when the KX450F came out. Suzuki hadn't changed much since 2009 and didn't seem to care. I think support money from the manufacturer is also one big issue. How much support will a guy get from Suzuki? I'm talking about the guy at the back of the pack. Bikes at cost, parts and trackside support. Why would you run a Suzuki when you could get much more support from Yamaha, Honda or Kawasaki? Any of the bikes can be modified to be competitive.
DR176
6/19/2019 11:39am
I know this is a totally dumb thought but it's crossed my mind occasionally when thinking about suzuki...
In todays era, does color choice play a factor? We are all huge fans of the sport here and in the "know," but it's easy to forget that we aren't the majority here. Hell, you go to a local OHV or SVRA and the majority of people there MAYBE catch one or two races a year on TV. I experience that first hand all the time trail riding or riding California SVRA's when I meet up with my dad and I hate to say, but the majority of riders out there are casual leisurely riders. So it always makes me wonder if these days people are turned off by the less masculine colorway of a suzuki. Which by the way I think is a bit absurd because I think the new suzuki's are some of the best looking bikes out there.

Post a reply to: Suzuki decline

The Latest