Suzuki and RCH Racing Conclude Partnership

Motodave15
7/29/2017 10:53am
Falcon wrote:
01101101 01101001 01100011 01110010 01101111 01110011 01101111 01100110 01110100

Just thinking out loud here...not really sure about anything... Whistling
wsc96 wrote:
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't?
OW38B wrote:
Too funny.

ASCII or EBCDIC......that is the true question....
ASCII
Motodave15
7/29/2017 11:01am
Motorsports sponsorship money is drying up. It's not just on the 2 wheel side either. We're seeing the beginning of a serious drawdown in sponsor dollars...
Motorsports sponsorship money is drying up.

It's not just on the 2 wheel side either. We're seeing the beginning of a serious drawdown in sponsor dollars. There are too many cheap channels for companies to use these days (social media) and fewer profit dollars to go around. Things will get worse.

Remember 10-15 years ago when we all "wanted to be like NASCAR"? Well, it coming true and it's gonna get ugly. Real ugly.

Did anyone watch the Brickyard 400 last week? Had somewhere around 50,000 in attendance, stands looked empty. Lots of NASCAR tracks are removing seats from their tracks so they look full. Sponsors don't like to spend money to advertise to ghosts or people they can't count. They want a return on their advertising dollars.

Target drops NASCAR sponsorship of Ganassi Racing

These are the things that happen when your country has a struggling middle class population...
In that link you provided

""As we looked to evolve our sports marketing program, soccer provided Target with a unique opportunity to reach our guests in new places, and at all levels of the sport," Target said in a statement.""

This is a major crux of an issue that is not really easily fixed in motorsports. Alot of people have said it, but the pits need to allow the sale of all sponsorship stuff items. and personally i think they need to remove the law that blocks alcohol and tobacco because that could be a serious avenue of cash influx...... I know one person will say but the "kids" but they need to remember that people are going to make their own choices eventually weather it be right or the wrong one.

7/29/2017 11:04am
Motorsports sponsorship money is drying up. It's not just on the 2 wheel side either. We're seeing the beginning of a serious drawdown in sponsor dollars...

It's not just on the 2 wheel side either. We're seeing the beginning of a serious drawdown in sponsor dollars. There are too many cheap channels for companies to use these days (social media) and fewer profit dollars to go around. Things will get worse.

Remember 10-15 years ago when we all "wanted to be like NASCAR"? Well, it coming true and it's gonna get ugly. Real ugly.

Did anyone watch the Brickyard 400 last week? Had somewhere around 50,000 in attendance, stands looked empty. Lots of NASCAR tracks are removing seats from their tracks so they look full. Sponsors don't like to spend money to advertise to ghosts or people they can't count. They want a return on their advertising dollars.

These are the things that happen when your country has a struggling middle class population...
I think you're basically right, motorsports are in decline, at least horizontally (meaning lots of series at lots of levels).

NASCAR was fool's gold all along; it was always about personalities, not the racing (which is damn-near fixed). It peaked in the '90s when it still orbited an old-guard core of Earnhardt, Elliot, Waltrip, Gant and various Allisons. Jeff Gordon was an iconoclastic young gun back then, the perfect anti-hero. But now, in the "post-redneck/post-tobacco" era of the sport, fan interest is down (Toyota? Whaaaa?), and sponsorship will follow suit. (In parallel with all this, Tony George singlehandedly destroyed the IndyCar series, almost overnight; IndyCar is a shadow of what it was before the IRL was forced upon us.)

The outcome is what's known as a "winner take all" economy -- the big boys with the strongest foundations will dominate what's left of the pie. For cars that means Formula 1 -- 20 events now, with huge crowds, same as ever, if not more. It appeals to a far better demographic. For bikes, it means MotoGP, which has a similar foundation. These sports, ironically, are the most expensive, but this is where manufacturers and sponsors want exposure (at the front of the grids, anyway).

For dirt bikes? MXGP is gonna be the winner.
malachi177
7/29/2017 12:14pm
Falcon wrote:
01101101 01101001 01100011 01110010 01101111 01110011 01101111 01100110 01110100

Just thinking out loud here...not really sure about anything... Whistling
wsc96 wrote:
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't?
Motodave15 wrote:
"Microsoft"
for the less computer nerds up in here
AltJ

The Shop

7/29/2017 1:18pm

Motodave15 wrote:
In that link you provided ""As we looked to evolve our sports marketing program, soccer provided Target with a unique opportunity to reach our guests in...

""As we looked to evolve our sports marketing program, soccer provided Target with a unique opportunity to reach our guests in new places, and at all levels of the sport," Target said in a statement.""

This is a major crux of an issue that is not really easily fixed in motorsports. Alot of people have said it, but the pits need to allow the sale of all sponsorship stuff items. and personally i think they need to remove the law that blocks alcohol and tobacco because that could be a serious avenue of cash influx...... I know one person will say but the "kids" but they need to remember that people are going to make their own choices eventually weather it be right or the wrong one.

Target is likely getting out because Chip was good friends with the previous CEO. When he retired in 2014, it was a matter of time for the contracts to run out and change the marketing direction. I don't know that it's fair to point to this one as the decline of motorsports.
Motodave15
7/30/2017 10:01am
Target is likely getting out because Chip was [url=http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10378129/target-is-done-with-motorsports/]good friends with the previous CEO[/url]. When he retired in 2014, it was a matter of time for...
Target is likely getting out because Chip was good friends with the previous CEO. When he retired in 2014, it was a matter of time for the contracts to run out and change the marketing direction. I don't know that it's fair to point to this one as the decline of motorsports.
Interesting, did not know that
deluxeman
7/31/2017 3:14pm
Motocross and SX is still a fringe sport of sorts. How many non riders go to watch a Supercross race or an outdoor national? That is what the market is made of right now. SX and MX needs to find a way to appeal to a non motorcycling audience if it wants to grow to any size and attract outside the sport sponsors.

The energy drink companies flock to the sport because that is their target audience, people who think they live the extreme lifestyle. They are making huge $$$ selling crap. This sport needs a big personality or 10 to attract new viewers, a Bubba, McGrath, Pastrana even Dungey brought in some non motorcycle fans. It's not going to be easy, you need a really great marketing program and a good product to sell.

I don't think it's a dying sport by any means, the money is leaking out of the business right now but that happens to every sport at one time or another. The powers that be need to find a way to reinvent the sport to make it more mainstream. Just watch what you wish for it just may happen.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
7/31/2017 5:23pm
Motodave15 wrote:
In that link you provided ""As we looked to evolve our sports marketing program, soccer provided Target with a unique opportunity to reach our guests in...

Tobacco and booze can still sponsor teams, but all riders/crew have to be over 21, if I'm not mistaken.

This is why Ryan Morais couldn't ride for Jeremy's Bud Light team back in the day.
7/31/2017 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 6:43pm
avidchimp wrote:
Tobacco and booze can still sponsor teams, but all riders/crew have to be over 21, if I'm not mistaken. This is why Ryan Morais couldn't ride...
Tobacco and booze can still sponsor teams, but all riders/crew have to be over 21, if I'm not mistaken.

This is why Ryan Morais couldn't ride for Jeremy's Bud Light team back in the day.
There are also industry guidelines that they've signed on to that make them very judicious in advertising at all in action sports:

"Beer brands large and small follow the same voluntary rules, known as the Beer Institute Advertising and Marketing Code... Every marketing and sponsorship opportunity is evaluated to ensure that it meets these standards."

"One brewing company's marketing rep said he won't advertise in certain action-sports publications because their readerships are too young. Pabst lifestyle marketing manager Steve Nilsen relies on internal legal counsel to "keep us in check." "We have to be so careful, and we are," Nilsen said."
link
TeamGreen
7/31/2017 6:46pm
Funny thing about the Internet: total lack of thought equates to some crazy posting.

If you've got a pretty good life and one of your businesses isn't profitable...
You may decide to do something-else with your time.
BobPA
7/31/2017 6:47pm
slowgti wrote:
It's a hard sell to corporate folks when you can't even sell your own t-shirts at the largest events this sport has.
philG wrote:
This... there is no way for teams to make a buck of their own. Why cant i buy an Eli Tomac Tee at the races??? Its...
This... there is no way for teams to make a buck of their own. Why cant i buy an Eli Tomac Tee at the races??? Its dumb as a box of rocks... just generic shit . This is why gear companies do so many limited edition kits, because they arent allowed to make $1 on a shirt at the track.
MudPup545 wrote:
Totally agree. I can't stand all the Monster Energy crap sold at SX. And the stuff at the Nationals isn't much better. Pretty much the same...
Totally agree. I can't stand all the Monster Energy crap sold at SX. And the stuff at the Nationals isn't much better. Pretty much the same crap year after year, just with a new date slapped on it. It would be awesome to buy official team/rider merchandise at the track. And not just the top 3 or so stars of the sport. And sticking to the original topic, pretty bad deal for our favorite sport. That is a huge team presence to loose.
Nascar teams have separate semis for all the swag they sell. Hell, Dale Jr, had one truck selling his regular merchandise and another selling all the same shit but in camo....
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
7/31/2017 6:50pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny thing about the Internet: total lack of thought equates to some crazy posting. If you've got a pretty good life and one of your businesses...
Funny thing about the Internet: total lack of thought equates to some crazy posting.

If you've got a pretty good life and one of your businesses isn't profitable...
You may decide to do something-else with your time.
Ad dollars are for sure dying across the board. You should see what's happening to budgets for the T.V. Industry...
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
7/31/2017 7:05pm
So will JGR get the budget for an extra bike or two??
7/31/2017 7:05pm
avidchimp wrote:
Ad dollars are for sure dying across the board. You should see what's happening to budgets for the T.V. Industry...
Google posted $26B revenue, Facebook $9.3B, last quarter.
RCMXracing
7/31/2017 7:32pm
@DavetheVintageguy and others making some really good points on here. So what's the root cause for the decline in Motorsports? Will the NFL and other pro ball sports stay forever successful? I think there will be a decline in those as well, eventually. Here's why I think that. Real life. It's not being lived at the level it once was. Think about it. You have everything at your fingertips in a climate controlled abode. There are so many GD streaming media content providers. At least once a week someone is telling me about a series I "have to watch", "OMG it's sooo good." Never heard of it. So much news, information and entertainment available. All of us sucked into our phones. Face it, real life is dirty and sweaty. Most people are getting what they want right at home.
Risk is taboo. You're considered kind of dumb to want to take risks. In our little cocoon of Moto getting your kids into it is super cool! Well the lady across the street and most of your neighbors think you're a dumbass and they should call social services on you!
As someone said, Honda could say F it, dirtbikes aren't a big market, we're done. This is a real possibility to me.
I don't believe I'm overstating it to say that not living REAL LIFE is a national epidemic, right up there with opioid addiction. Ask an Australian, New Zealander, or a South African what they think of the USA. "Getting soft, bunch of pussies." I get so psyched when I see someone in their teens/20's learning Moto, slow as shit, but out there. It's like, "Fuck yea! You my friend are living life." I wanna give them a badge or something.
gabrielito
7/31/2017 7:40pm
RCMXracing wrote:
@DavetheVintageguy and others making some really good points on here. So what's the root cause for the decline in Motorsports? Will the NFL and other pro...
@DavetheVintageguy and others making some really good points on here. So what's the root cause for the decline in Motorsports? Will the NFL and other pro ball sports stay forever successful? I think there will be a decline in those as well, eventually. Here's why I think that. Real life. It's not being lived at the level it once was. Think about it. You have everything at your fingertips in a climate controlled abode. There are so many GD streaming media content providers. At least once a week someone is telling me about a series I "have to watch", "OMG it's sooo good." Never heard of it. So much news, information and entertainment available. All of us sucked into our phones. Face it, real life is dirty and sweaty. Most people are getting what they want right at home.
Risk is taboo. You're considered kind of dumb to want to take risks. In our little cocoon of Moto getting your kids into it is super cool! Well the lady across the street and most of your neighbors think you're a dumbass and they should call social services on you!
As someone said, Honda could say F it, dirtbikes aren't a big market, we're done. This is a real possibility to me.
I don't believe I'm overstating it to say that not living REAL LIFE is a national epidemic, right up there with opioid addiction. Ask an Australian, New Zealander, or a South African what they think of the USA. "Getting soft, bunch of pussies." I get so psyched when I see someone in their teens/20's learning Moto, slow as shit, but out there. It's like, "Fuck yea! You my friend are living life." I wanna give them a badge or something.
I totally agree with you but the irony is we are talking about an MX team folding on a message board.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
7/31/2017 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 8:43pm
avidchimp wrote:
Google posted $26B revenue, Facebook $9.3B, last quarter.
They are in the digital ad industry not TV....

Digital is hands down the best and only way to advertise at this point. The dollars normally spent on TV, Radio and Print is being redirected to digital and some streaming audio but mostly just digital advertising. The benefit is better and more targeted results for your spend. The negative outside of killing traditional advertising is you get a lot more bang for your advertising dollars which causes the shrinkage mentioned above.
Bruce372
7/31/2017 8:47pm
5 pages of replies, but only 3 Suzuki owners... anyone surprised a team is closing?
7/31/2017 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 9:06pm
tcannon521 wrote:
They are in the digital ad industry not TV.... Digital is hands down the best and only way to advertise at this point. The dollars normally...
They are in the digital ad industry not TV....

Digital is hands down the best and only way to advertise at this point. The dollars normally spent on TV, Radio and Print is being redirected to digital and some streaming audio but mostly just digital advertising. The benefit is better and more targeted results for your spend. The negative outside of killing traditional advertising is you get a lot more bang for your advertising dollars which causes the shrinkage mentioned above.
Right, but he just said, "ad dollars are for sure dying across the board". They are not dying across the board. They are shifting from one portion of the board to another.
7/31/2017 9:39pm
Every time a team shuts down someone comes along to say the sky is falling. Should I go get food insurance?
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
7/31/2017 11:57pm
Motodave15 wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
Tobacco and booze can still sponsor teams, but all riders/crew have to be over 21, if I'm not mistaken. This is why Ryan Morais couldn't ride...

I believe he did ride for the team.....for one race and got hurt. Maybe had modified graphics?
mayzo
8/1/2017 12:48am
RedRum666 wrote:
RCH ( Rick Carmichael / Carey Hart) as an business is pulling the plug..... Perhaps RCR is in the works (Ricky Carmichael/Chad Reed) ......... and Suzuki...
RCH ( Rick Carmichael / Carey Hart) as an business is pulling the plug.....

Perhaps RCR is in the works (Ricky Carmichael/Chad Reed) ......... and Suzuki will push support to that team.....
Hmmmm maybe you're correct.
Excaliburbmx
8/1/2017 4:31am
Bruce372 wrote:
5 pages of replies, but only 3 Suzuki owners... anyone surprised a team is closing?
If that's the case shouldn't have James Stewart helped sell more bikes when he was sponsored by Suzuki?
Mini Elsinore
8/1/2017 5:31am
Every time a team shuts down someone comes along to say the sky is falling. Should I go get food insurance?
Well, you might want to plant a small garden and stock some non-perishable food and water.... I call that prudent, not paranoid. But I digress. What was your point again? Unsure
kkawboy14
8/1/2017 6:26am
It really seems like when Roczen left it ripped those guys hearts out for running a team. I think they could have done whatever they wanted to do this year! The funny thing is RC was the king of jumping teams and now he has felt the gut wrenching part of a team having to go a completely different way after thinking it was gonna go another
gabrielito
8/1/2017 6:42am
kkawboy14 wrote:
It really seems like when Roczen left it ripped those guys hearts out for running a team. I think they could have done whatever they wanted...
It really seems like when Roczen left it ripped those guys hearts out for running a team. I think they could have done whatever they wanted to do this year! The funny thing is RC was the king of jumping teams and now he has felt the gut wrenching part of a team having to go a completely different way after thinking it was gonna go another
Good thing for them that Roczen jumped ship.

Post a reply to: Suzuki and RCH Racing Conclude Partnership

The Latest