Suzuki GNCC build help

Brendon_Marsh
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 11:26pm
I recently purchused a 2015 RM-Z 250 and was wonder if anyone knew of some things I should put on the bike. I relized many people just buy a KTM and I wanted to trying off road on a Suzuki. And parts and companys would be awesome, thanks!
|
EastFlorida
2/16/2016 7:41am
1. Bark busters
2. Revalve suspension
3. Rekluse Core EXP
4. Oversized tank
5. Tires appropriate for your area
6. RACE!
ktm212
2/16/2016 7:53am
OBERMEYER SUZUKI is the offroad GNCC team, check their bikes out if you want a quick look at what to do. I'd start with Skid plate, big tank, bark busters, evans coolant, high pressure rad cap, high temp brake fluid, hd clutch springs, TM designworks chain guides.
tylermx967
2/16/2016 8:36am
MY GREAT UNCLE HORSE GET ME VFORCE FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND I THINK FOR SURE IT FASTER UP THE HILLS
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/16/2016 9:15am
tylermx967 wrote:
MY GREAT UNCLE HORSE GET ME VFORCE FOR SUSZUKI RM85 AND I THINK FOR SURE IT FASTER UP THE HILLS
Does that VForce fit the rmz250 also??

The Shop

Titan1
2/16/2016 9:49am
Do GNCC (woods guys in general) still run narrower bars?

I"m a desert guy, and trees are foreign territory...lol...but dust? Rocks? Yeah, we've got plenty of that stuff.

Anyway...I think the generic off road mods for any type of off road are:

-Oversized Tank (I really like IMS tanks the best)
-Spark Arrestor (if they are racing on public land at all, they will be required to have a USFS approved spark arrestor...but that may not be the case for GNCC's?? Seems they might be raced on private property, or state owned land? rather than federal land we race on our here.)
-Skid Plate (I really like Acerbis plastic skid plates...less weight, quieter, and plenty strong)
-Hand Guards (For racing in the trees, you'll want the hard bark buster guards)
-Suspension Revalve (though for GNCC that looks like a whooped out national track to me-I've never raced one-you could probably get by with properly sprung, stock stuff).
-Rekluse CORE EXP 3.0 (this is more of a luxury than a necessity...but make sure you get the 3.0...it's durability is much improved over the 2.0 for racing conditions).

That should get you going I'd think.
BobPA
2/16/2016 10:05am
Titan1 wrote:
Do GNCC (woods guys in general) still run narrower bars? I"m a desert guy, and trees are foreign territory...lol...but dust? Rocks? Yeah, we've got plenty of...
Do GNCC (woods guys in general) still run narrower bars?

I"m a desert guy, and trees are foreign territory...lol...but dust? Rocks? Yeah, we've got plenty of that stuff.

Anyway...I think the generic off road mods for any type of off road are:

-Oversized Tank (I really like IMS tanks the best)
-Spark Arrestor (if they are racing on public land at all, they will be required to have a USFS approved spark arrestor...but that may not be the case for GNCC's?? Seems they might be raced on private property, or state owned land? rather than federal land we race on our here.)
-Skid Plate (I really like Acerbis plastic skid plates...less weight, quieter, and plenty strong)
-Hand Guards (For racing in the trees, you'll want the hard bark buster guards)
-Suspension Revalve (though for GNCC that looks like a whooped out national track to me-I've never raced one-you could probably get by with properly sprung, stock stuff).
-Rekluse CORE EXP 3.0 (this is more of a luxury than a necessity...but make sure you get the 3.0...it's durability is much improved over the 2.0 for racing conditions).

That should get you going I'd think.
Some cut bars and some don't. Personally, I could never stand the feeling of cut bars.

Lots of guys run 18" back wheels, rear disc guard is not a bad idea.

A lot of what you do depends on your budget...
2/16/2016 10:07am
GNCCs are all on private property so no spark arrestor is needed. Some guys still cut their bars down but you don't need to shave off much. Stock bars will work fine too but it doesn't hurt to take a little bit off. We do occasionally throw in some tight bike-only sections...

Personally, up until a few weeks ago I've always used bark busters, but plenty of guys just moto style handguards. They do their job but when you do get the occasional tight section, the bark busters are nice to have.
TeamGreen
2/16/2016 10:14am
IMS Tank and SS pegs
A better Chain Guide and have the mounts on the swing-arm braced/welded
O-Ring Chain
Up 2-3 teeth in the rear or down -1- in front if possible (Renthal Twin-Ring lasts FOREVER!)
A slip on w/Spark Arstr
Full Coverage Skip Plate
Folding Tip Brake Pedal w/ lanyard.
A really good Steel folding-shift lever
Folding brake and clutch levers
Bark Busters or Hand Protectors of your choice
Find out what RADIATOR CAP guys are using for GNCCs (Probably higher pressure rating)
Engine Ice Coolant
Better-Tougher Radiator hoses Moto-Hose...?
Good Tires and Bibs...I run Pirelli Xtra-X and Pirelli Bibs
DT-1 Extreme Duty Air Filter
Lots and lots of Careful Prep

AR319
2/16/2016 10:17am
Sadly you'll see that no one makes a oversized tank for the new Suzuki 250 only the 450 . I was looking because wanted to use my 250 for the few hare scrambles I do and riding in the pines.
wwoberg
2/16/2016 10:21am
I have been a longtime RMZ250 rider (08 and a 13) and have raced a number of hare scrambles. In fast sections the gearing is too low (you will run out of gears quickly). In tight single track the gearing is too high (you will be stuck in first gear). Not sure how to fix it, but I mostly ride MX.
david225
2/16/2016 10:31am
AR319 wrote:
Sadly you'll see that no one makes a oversized tank for the new Suzuki 250 only the 450 . I was looking because wanted to use...
Sadly you'll see that no one makes a oversized tank for the new Suzuki 250 only the 450 . I was looking because wanted to use my 250 for the few hare scrambles I do and riding in the pines.
How important is it to have an oversized tank for hare scrambles? I'm looking to racing a few this year but I predominately ride MX so I'm trying to determine what I need and don't need. If you were racing a GNCC for instance, how do the pit stops work for the amateurs? How far away do you have to go from the track to get to your pit and roughly how many times do racers pit during the race?
Xeno
2/16/2016 10:31am
18" rear wheel (as mentioned above).
TwinAir radiator "socks" for mud races.
Contact that Suzuki team and ask if you can pay for ignition/fuel mapping.
WeiserGuy
2/16/2016 10:34am
I never cut my bars, and any time I rode a bike with them cut I hated it. Besides GNCCs aren't nearly as tight as everyone thinks.

Radiator braces are a must have.
Roostermx58
2/16/2016 10:37am
TeamGreen wrote:
IMS Tank and SS pegs A better Chain Guide and have the mounts on the swing-arm braced/welded O-Ring Chain Up 2-3 teeth in the rear or...
IMS Tank and SS pegs
A better Chain Guide and have the mounts on the swing-arm braced/welded
O-Ring Chain
Up 2-3 teeth in the rear or down -1- in front if possible (Renthal Twin-Ring lasts FOREVER!)
A slip on w/Spark Arstr
Full Coverage Skip Plate
Folding Tip Brake Pedal w/ lanyard.
A really good Steel folding-shift lever
Folding brake and clutch levers
Bark Busters or Hand Protectors of your choice
Find out what RADIATOR CAP guys are using for GNCCs (Probably higher pressure rating)
Engine Ice Coolant
Better-Tougher Radiator hoses Moto-Hose...?
Good Tires and Bibs...I run Pirelli Xtra-X and Pirelli Bibs
DT-1 Extreme Duty Air Filter
Lots and lots of Careful Prep

This.
AR319
2/16/2016 10:45am
AR319 wrote:
Sadly you'll see that no one makes a oversized tank for the new Suzuki 250 only the 450 . I was looking because wanted to use...
david225 wrote:
How important is it to have an oversized tank for hare scrambles? I'm looking to racing a few this year but I predominately ride MX so...
How important is it to have an oversized tank for hare scrambles? I'm looking to racing a few this year but I predominately ride MX so I'm trying to determine what I need and don't need. If you were racing a GNCC for instance, how do the pit stops work for the amateurs? How far away do you have to go from the track to get to your pit and roughly how many times do racers pit during the race?
The harescrambles I've done are a hour and half. One spot is just tight woods so I'm alright there but the other one is at a local mx track with a lot of times cut onto the access roads and the track and long straights and after the hour and a half I was running on fumes. The open one I first did on my 450 and had to stop for fuel once and it was just off to the side after going through the finishline/checkpoint.
Steadman
2/16/2016 10:57am
I recently purchused a 2015 RM-Z 250 and was wonder if anyone knew of some things I should put on the bike. I relized many people...
I recently purchused a 2015 RM-Z 250 and was wonder if anyone knew of some things I should put on the bike. I relized many people just buy a KTM and I wanted to trying off road on a Suzuki. And parts and companys would be awesome, thanks!
Hey Brendon,

Great bike choice!

I've been racing hare scrambles and cross country for many years. Been running Japanese 250F's since 2004.

-Cycra Pro Bend Guards
-Suspension re-valve (get it set up for the nasty root, rock and chop)
-a better skid plate
-GPR stabilizer damper (this is the BEST mod I have ever done with a dirt bike)
-O-ring/X-ring Chain

Other than that I have kept the rest of the bikes stock with no issues what so ever. No really need to go crazy with extra mods.

Best of luck with the build!

WeiserGuy
2/16/2016 11:19am
AR319 wrote:
david225 wrote:
How important is it to have an oversized tank for hare scrambles? I'm looking to racing a few this year but I predominately ride MX so...
You can pit anywhere you want besides the pro pit area, and you can do it by pulling off to the side of the track. Key is parking on level ground as close to the track as possible. As far as how many stops will be determined by lap times, how wide open the track is and if you get stuck, etc. You will need to test your small tank run time at home and change it accordingly depending on race circumstances. Building a small quick fill device for your tank wouldn't be hard, you just need a couple pieces pvc and a ball valve. Amateur classes race for 2 hours.

One cheap addition I would add is a small handgrip strap running over the back of your seat. Might not be the most stylish, but I promise you will be very thankful when you go down or get stuck. I guarantee both will happen, and that strap will help you or a mudflea get you going that much quicker.
TeamGreen
2/16/2016 11:40am
If we're gonna plug seats...

A Guts Light-Weight Seat foam is a must.
Titan1
2/16/2016 1:22pm
wwoberg wrote:
I have been a longtime RMZ250 rider (08 and a 13) and have raced a number of hare scrambles. In fast sections the gearing is too...
I have been a longtime RMZ250 rider (08 and a 13) and have raced a number of hare scrambles. In fast sections the gearing is too low (you will run out of gears quickly). In tight single track the gearing is too high (you will be stuck in first gear). Not sure how to fix it, but I mostly ride MX.
A Rekluse EXP Core 3.0 will fix the gearing issue...you can ride in 2nd and go as slow as you need to go...
malachi177
2/16/2016 4:45pm
Like most have said....plus Rad guards..Scorpion makes a really nice set.
MXMattii
2/16/2016 4:49pm
I recently purchused a 2015 RM-Z 250 and was wonder if anyone knew of some things I should put on the bike. I relized many people...
Funnelweb Filters, other airfilters are getting full after an hour or two and then you are starting to lose horsepower. That doesn't happen with those Funnelweb Filters.
WVUpetro2013
2/16/2016 6:04pm
IMO if you are only doing a couple to get a feel for it then do the bare minimum. Maybe put some sort of hand guards. Mx are fine since the tracks are not super tight. As far as pit stops, I always keep my gas jug close to my trailer by the track to fill up once on my own. After one you can get an idea of where you can make bike improvements. Just from a casual gncc racer point of view.
fins227
2/16/2016 6:55pm
Go ride one and figure it out! Stop every lap and get a little gas and a drink. They're super fun races, but don't get bummed when you don't when lots of local A riders sign up for the C classes.

I had a 2008 rmz 250 and it was an awesome machine except for the false neutrals which have been fixed.

The first lap in the morning class is very hectic. Remain calm and don't sit at the bottle necks! Good luck!
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/16/2016 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 9:01pm
tylermx967 wrote:
You registered in 2008. You' ve been riding an 85 for at least 8 years? If you started early on the 85 because of size, based on your avi pick, then that means you would have gotten too big for the 85 and off it earlier than normal.

You've run this character into the ground. Go away.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/16/2016 9:18pm
You're getting alot of personal preferences in these responces. So what you NEED if you're just wanting to try it out; hand guards (moto style are fine, what I run), radiator braces, high pressure rad cap, suspension clickers set real soft, and a camelbak is a great idea. Anything else is personal.
I'd advise a steering damper, and not the honda style. Get a scotts. HD tubes to run lower tire pressure, o-ring chain for longetivity, and oversized tank to avoid pitting.

Good luck! Tons of fun.
VET176
2/16/2016 11:26pm
tylermx967 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
You registered in 2008. You' ve been riding an 85 for at least 8 years? If you started early on the 85 because of size, based...
You registered in 2008. You' ve been riding an 85 for at least 8 years? If you started early on the 85 because of size, based on your avi pick, then that means you would have gotten too big for the 85 and off it earlier than normal.

You've run this character into the ground. Go away.
Is that a Holden Commodore behind you Tyler?

Post a reply to: Suzuki GNCC build help

The Latest