Suspension, who and why?

roy238
Edited Date/Time 12/28/2020 9:56pm
So who does your suspension valving/set up and why did you choose to use that particular person/company?

No hate on anyone please, just want to see what y'all use.

I've used a few different places all with positive results.

Tech Care which is now TCD
MCR
Pro Curcuit
And now Factory Connection

Tech care and MCR because they were local and I know them. Race with them.

Pro Curcuit came on a bike I bought from a friend who is same height/weight and ability as me so I left it alone. I'll say I've had a better feeling set up but overall worked with no issues over that it was just a little more harsh than I like.

Now Factory Connection, tried them based on their reputation and I'm pleased with it. Has a nice plush feel and holds up well in the rough. I'll be sticking with them for a long time, cost more but worth it.

|
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
12/17/2020 2:42am
Only rode stock suspension for the longest time. Tried FC for my 19 250R. Solid setup, better than stock and is comfortable. I think ill try someone else on my next bike
cwel11
12/17/2020 3:31am
I’ve used FC on my last three bikes. Always been happy but they’re getting stupid expensive anymore. I think it was around $1600 for my TC250. Just to service my forks and shock (it’s been two years since they did them) I was quoted $800. They do good work but for a vet b rider, I think I’ll explore other options.
Indy mxer
12/17/2020 3:45am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 3:46am
cwel11 wrote:
I’ve used FC on my last three bikes. Always been happy but they’re getting stupid expensive anymore. I think it was around $1600 for my TC250...
I’ve used FC on my last three bikes. Always been happy but they’re getting stupid expensive anymore. I think it was around $1600 for my TC250. Just to service my forks and shock (it’s been two years since they did them) I was quoted $800. They do good work but for a vet b rider, I think I’ll explore other options.
I use FC as well. I weigh 152 so every bike I get I need my suspension done. Getting ready to send off my 21 KX 250 suspension next week. Love their customer service.
Motofinne
12/17/2020 4:56am
cwel11 wrote:
I’ve used FC on my last three bikes. Always been happy but they’re getting stupid expensive anymore. I think it was around $1600 for my TC250...
800 bucks for a normal suspension service? Business must be good.

The Shop

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/17/2020 6:08am
Basically you have two choices, send it off to a big time company with a great reputation. There are many to choose from, I would recommend RaceTech. Your second choice is to go local and save the shipping and hopefully your local guy can provide you some on track assistance. We frequently meet customers to help them dial in new builds. We offer RaceTech products and suggest them but when the budget isn't there any good shop should be able to valve your suspension for a more personalized feel. Just do some research and talk to people at your track, I bet one or two shops stand above the rest! Good luck!!
starjammir
12/17/2020 6:21am
Just dropped mine off at MCR on Tuesday so we will see how Matt does.
yz133rider
12/17/2020 6:28am
Evo industries. He always nails the set up, regardless of brand. He nailed it on an Italian 04 husky, yamahas, Tm, Suzuki with the bfrc shock.

jtmaster
12/17/2020 6:48am
I used Factory Connection on my last bike, partially because they were only a mile from my house. Was happy with it. My new to me bike has suspension already set up for my weight and riding by Solid Performance and it works great.
12/17/2020 7:37am
When we moved up to the 450 about 9 months ago we bought a 19' YZF450 from Chase Marquier. This was the first time we had access to a pro rider setup and my son absolutely loved it. It was Merge Suspension.

We just bought a 21' crf450 and we just sent it off to Merge and said just put Marquier's setup in it

It wouldn't hurt to consult with Merge and see what they say

lumpy790
12/17/2020 7:59am
I personally like using a local suspension shop. Shipping your suspension is stupid expensive! A local shop knows the local conditions that the big companies do not know. If your not happy you can always take it back and hand it over to them.

I like Privateer Connection in Rock Hill SC that’s 20 minutes away
MotoCoUSA
12/17/2020 8:17am
Warren at EnduroSpec does fantastic work. He’s local to Colorado, sponsor of the series I race, and he won’t over sell you on shit you don’t need. What I like most is he rides/races the same stuff we do, he also is a damn good desert racer as well. Very knowledgeable on all brands, he listens to what you’re feeling, what you’re looking for, and makes a suggestion on what to do.
12/17/2020 8:32am
I wish there was a damn textbook just on every piece of suspension.

I sometimes wonder why factory mechanics don’t write a technical manual with a story as well after their careers. I’d buy it.
Chance1216
12/17/2020 8:42am
Used Devol for years. I could literally bolt it on, check sag and, it was perfect.

Used RG3, asked for the same set up. Had to set sag (no biggie) then had to adjust the clickers. Still not confidence inspiring.

Wishing Devol still did suspension. Thankfully, I still own the bike they did the work on.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
12/17/2020 8:51am
I wish there was a damn textbook just on every piece of suspension. I sometimes wonder why factory mechanics don’t write a technical manual with a...
I wish there was a damn textbook just on every piece of suspension.

I sometimes wonder why factory mechanics don’t write a technical manual with a story as well after their careers. I’d buy it.
There is it’s called the Race Tech suspension bible
Donkey Kong
12/17/2020 9:24am
cwel11 wrote:
Parts must have been replaced for it to be that expensive
12/17/2020 9:59am
Chance1216 wrote:
Used Devol for years. I could literally bolt it on, check sag and, it was perfect. Used RG3, asked for the same set up. Had to...
Used Devol for years. I could literally bolt it on, check sag and, it was perfect.

Used RG3, asked for the same set up. Had to set sag (no biggie) then had to adjust the clickers. Still not confidence inspiring.

Wishing Devol still did suspension. Thankfully, I still own the bike they did the work on.
The more you use a suspension tech the more familiar they get with the settings you like.

It depends on the bike also. I only take my KTM suspension to people who specialize in WP suspension. Everyone says they will do it and can, but they may not be dialed in on it. I have KREFT on one bike and AEO just did my 21. AEO did an amazing job on the first try, just small adjustments as it broke in. On the other hand, I would use ENZO if I had a yz.

Personally I avoid racetech. They have terrible customer service and just focus on riders weight. If you are going to spend 2K-8K on suspension a company should give you the time of day. When working with AEO and KREFT I sat on the phone for about and hour, to discuss what I felf on the bike, what I want out of the suspension, etc.
Burnett84
12/17/2020 10:44am
This time around I went with Graeme Brough. I read a lot of good reviews about him on here, so I decided to give him a call. The first time speaking with him I was on the phone for probably an hour. The guy is super friendly and full of knowledge, never trying to sell you something that you don’t need. The suspension is absolutely amazing, anytime I’m at the track and have a question I give him a call and he walks me through what adjustments I need to make.
JohnMatrix
12/17/2020 10:59am
Burnett84 wrote:
This time around I went with Graeme Brough. I read a lot of good reviews about him on here, so I decided to give him a...
This time around I went with Graeme Brough. I read a lot of good reviews about him on here, so I decided to give him a call. The first time speaking with him I was on the phone for probably an hour. The guy is super friendly and full of knowledge, never trying to sell you something that you don’t need. The suspension is absolutely amazing, anytime I’m at the track and have a question I give him a call and he walks me through what adjustments I need to make.
+1 on Graeme. Doesn't up-sell you on anything you don't need and his work is second to none. He's kind of a best kept secret...but not really a secret.
Chance1216
12/17/2020 11:34am
Chance1216 wrote:
Used Devol for years. I could literally bolt it on, check sag and, it was perfect. Used RG3, asked for the same set up. Had to...

The more you use a suspension tech the more familiar they get with the settings you like. It depends on the bike also. I only take...
The more you use a suspension tech the more familiar they get with the settings you like.

It depends on the bike also. I only take my KTM suspension to people who specialize in WP suspension. Everyone says they will do it and can, but they may not be dialed in on it. I have KREFT on one bike and AEO just did my 21. AEO did an amazing job on the first try, just small adjustments as it broke in. On the other hand, I would use ENZO if I had a yz.

Personally I avoid racetech. They have terrible customer service and just focus on riders weight. If you are going to spend 2K-8K on suspension a company should give you the time of day. When working with AEO and KREFT I sat on the phone for about and hour, to discuss what I felf on the bike, what I want out of the suspension, etc.
He actually nailed everything the first time around. I gave him the location and, all pertinent information. In a few days I picked up my suspension and bolted it on. Right away, I was blown away. As previously mentioned, I didn’t even have to adjust the sag. Went out, it was predictable and confidence inspiring. No adjusting clickers. Nothing. To me, that’s tough to beat.
Kevin852
12/17/2020 12:18pm
I use N2Dirt Suspension here in SoCal. Brian is a good guy, will meet you at the track to help with set up and even tolerates my stupid questions. That alone has to be worth something....

Moto520
12/17/2020 12:46pm
It depends. For a Yamaha i would probably go with Enzo. Honda/ Kawi would be Factory Connection. I feel like the suspension builder with the largest population of riders giving feedback has the advantage.
Preston412
12/17/2020 12:55pm
My suspension tech was the first person I crossed paths with at local track and had a few conversations afterwards and he earned my business. He rides and tryouts his own builds as well. He is the race tech service center for Florida.
12/17/2020 1:00pm
Sent my YZ250 suspension to Noleen after riding my buddies YZ125 they did. His bike felt amazing so I naturally wanted that for mine. They did good with mine and I’m happy with it. Same friend sent his other three bikes (YZ450F, 250F and 250 smoker) to TCD in Michigan. After riding those three bikes and loving they way they are I’ll be sending my YZ250 and YZ250F to them. Helps out a lot that they are only a short 3hr drive from us in Ohio. Prices were fair and Dave was super helpful if he called with setup questions
rawdawgin
12/17/2020 1:26pm
SGB Racing in Maryland

Not only are the coatings Jason does badass, they use all Race Tech components with their suspension builds. You get all of your stock parts down the shim stacks back, so it proves that they are actually setting the bike up to your specs. I have gotten 3 sets of suspension done by SGB, a CRF250, CRF450, and KX450. I set the sag to what Jason recommended and never touched a clicker. I'm a 38yr old retired "A" rider who was very picky in my day (and still am). I explained what I wanted and it came back performing great and looking sick. Highly recommend.

sgb-racing.com
AHarmon237
12/17/2020 2:06pm
Brian @ N2Dirt in Canyon Country, CA. He is a racer himself and also offers trackside testing/adjustments as well. I have taken my last couple bikes to him and I have always had a GREAT experience with him. Referred a few people to him w/ similar feedback as well.
b_kowalsk
12/17/2020 2:17pm
Always just leave mine with stock valving. I have never had a bike revalved. I'd like to try it to see what I am missing out on but always just adapted to the settings that the bikes came with.
12/17/2020 2:20pm
A lot of people praise and seem very happy with FC, but there’s no way I’d ever pay their prices. Local tuners for me
TeamGreen
12/17/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 3:00pm
Pro Circuit for Showa kit stuff...amazing. Also, their PSF1 Air forks are awesome, too.
JBi for my WP XPlor forks that I jokingly call a "poor man's cone-valves"..they work REALLY REALLY well in the rocks & I'm talking about 4CS forks...that many say "WILL NEVER WORK!?" But, man...these forks are smooth now.

On the Vital 2018 RM-Z450 I had Factory Connection do their magic and they made the shock soooo much better & the forks were superb.

I have a few friends that are 6'+ and they all seem to ride Yamahas. I've had them take their KYB stuff to Enzo and they are all very happy.

Post a reply to: Suspension, who and why?

The Latest