Suspension so stiff Stu vs Kroc video

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2014 10:28 AM

|

6/5/2014 10:57 AM

Yep, for a bike known for cornering, he sure was missing the corners. And by contrast, the bike known by the haters as a no cornering machine, the KTM sure was hitting the tight lines. Good stuff.

RC, Reed and Dungey all had that Zook looking plush. You ever wonder what those mechanics think when someone throws all that prior testing and data out the window and starts out with "rigid"?

|

6/5/2014 11:09 AM

newmann wrote:

Yep, for a bike known for cornering, he sure was missing the corners. And by contrast, the bike known by the haters as a no ...more

Air forks.

The other teams were running them last year and have a lot more testing done on them than the Suzuki team does.

Its tough to jump right on to something and not have a lot of time with it. Especially when he never ran the Air Forks before in the MX series.

|

6/5/2014 11:12 AM

he was on the air fork last year.

|

6/5/2014 11:37 AM

I call BS, maybe.smile They can run a fork on a dyno to gather spring rate info whether spring or air, correct? Stewart has always run his forks stiffer than any mortal could handle. All the times we saw him compress into the corners and then the front end would just wash right on out.....? I have it all figured out from behind my keyboard.whistling

Amazing how fast those guys are going in those vids!

|

6/5/2014 11:41 AM

Dart Board wrote:

he was on the air fork last year.

Incorrect.

Suzuki allowed him to run the spring forks because it wasnt coming out until this model year, now that the RMZ 450s come stock, they are making him run them.

Watch the video.

2013 MX Bike Check JS7

|

6/5/2014 11:54 AM

Certainly not all the bike though either, James outdoor skills are off right now and the bike isn't helping

|

6/5/2014 11:59 AM

Can't take anything away from Kenny as a rider, he's doing work, that's for sure! The bike sure does seem to be working with him instead of against him helping him get the job done though.

|

Recovering JS7, PED, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Alessi, thread poster....

6/5/2014 12:07 PM

Wasn't straight up...

|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...

Hello?..Vital?...

6/5/2014 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 12:12 PM

In the Yosh video for Hangtown when James came in after his first practice, he was talking to his a couple of the guys in his crew . I seem to remember him saying something to the effect that it felt too stiff and that as he was going into corners the front end felt like it didn't want to stick and felt like it wanted to wash out.

|

6/5/2014 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 12:27 PM

James switched to the Showa Triple Air at Budd's Creek 2013, I believe. RV and Weimer were the first to use them outdoors.

|

6/5/2014 12:27 PM

Photo
|

6/5/2014 1:20 PM

newmann wrote:

Yep, for a bike known for cornering, he sure was missing the corners. And by contrast, the bike known by the haters as a no ...more

RC, Reed and Dungey all had that Zook looking plush. You ever wonder what those mechanics think when someone throws all that prior testing and data out the window and starts out with "rigid"?

Different frame and forks since then.

James bike looked great last year and pretty good for Supercross this year, the team will get it figured out for Outdoors.
|

6/5/2014 1:22 PM

Guys, he woulda missed the corner whether he had air or springs in his forks. That's rider, not bike. He obviously threw his goggles after moto1 and wasnt happy with how he rode all day. The forks weren't gonna change that.

/thread.

|

6/5/2014 1:26 PM

Big Lenny wrote:

Wasn't straight up...

HaHa....

|

rickys james mc hannah 469...ama pro career wins...and counting
which means these riders have an average of 92 wins ea...
which is equal to over 3 years of winning every single sx and natl each...
15 years of absolute total 100% domination ...just sayin' ...

6/5/2014 1:32 PM

GUS.975 wrote:

Guys, he woulda missed the corner whether he had air or springs in his forks. That's rider, not bike. He obviously threw his ...more

There was a marked improvement from the first moto to the second moto. After the race the team said they made some fork changes.

How do you explain that?

|

6/5/2014 1:34 PM

Brent wrote:

James switched to the Showa Triple Air at Budd's Creek 2013, I believe. RV and Weimer were the first to use them outdoors.

Guess I was partly wrong.

Still leads me to believe they are having issues with the forks. But like others have said, once you are off of the fist two tracks his bike should work a lot better.

|

6/5/2014 2:27 PM

Maybe KRoc is takin WP suspension with him to RCH....

|

rickys james mc hannah 469...ama pro career wins...and counting
which means these riders have an average of 92 wins ea...
which is equal to over 3 years of winning every single sx and natl each...
15 years of absolute total 100% domination ...just sayin' ...

6/5/2014 2:56 PM

GUS.975 wrote:

Guys, he woulda missed the corner whether he had air or springs in his forks. That's rider, not bike. He obviously threw his ...more

I humbly disagree and think the bike is fighting him a lot and he is not flowing and riding off as a result of it. That bike looked like it had no suspension going into the breaking bumps before the corners except for the rear which was bucking him like a bronco him throwing him off even more...

|

6/5/2014 3:14 PM

Heaven forbid that it was Kenny that was making the corners......yeah, you're right, it's the bike.....it's always the bike

|

6/5/2014 3:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 3:24 PM

The Suzuki appears to be geared differently too which doesn't help,it bogs in the turns more and doesn't pull out of them as well.Taller gearing would make the bike peak faster at the end of the straights making for harder braking,less response from the front end and more likely to miss turns

At 1.49 Stewart even pops the clutch to keeps the revs up just before he hits the softer apex of the turn,not trying to be a smartass,just my 2'pennethblink

|

(I also regret my username,funny at the time "you had to be there..")

6/5/2014 3:36 PM

I think it's a combination of things. There was a SX race this year towards the end of the season where he was in 2nd and Villo was in 1st. I was shocked to see James slow it down after getting squirley a few times trying to catch RV.Normally he would of pinned it and caught him or crashed. I think we are just seeing a more wiser mature James who doesn't feel like eating shit anymore. He knows the bike's not dialed so he's not pushing it. If his team can get his set up right I think we'll see him challenge later this season...

|

6/5/2014 3:39 PM

newmann wrote:

Yeah, what a POS its holding ryan and Kenny back....... Some pretty impressive back flips going on since these guys are stomping the field.

|

19 YZ 250f - Stock and loving it

6/5/2014 3:48 PM

Kenny is so fucking impressive. anyone who doesn't see him as the obvious favorite for the title either has the last name Dungey, or is just a flat fucking moran

|

6/5/2014 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 5:11 PM

peelout wrote:

Kenny is so fucking impressive. anyone who doesn't see him as the obvious favorite for the title either has the last name ...more

Ken is the fastest 450 guy so far this year, but when the races get really humid is when we will see if he still has the fitness.

I know he's been training in Florida, but he hasn't trained there in summer yet, which is a special hell.

Remember last year at Budds Creek Ken had a hard time in the first hot and humid race of the year. He may need just one more year to really get used to it. Dungey has 5 years of fitness under his belt, that could be the difference.

|

6/5/2014 5:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 5:29 PM

I've always thought KTM/WP suspension has looked kinda crappy in the past, but KRoc's fork looked like butter. It kind of reminded me of a downhill mountain bike while Kenny was braking in the choppy stuff.

James' brain is wired for stiff suspension. Not technically, it's just what he became accustomed to for decades in the process of kicking people's butt. RC's ability to adapt to new riding styles and bike setups always amazed me, because in essence, he had to rewire his brain to go faster (sounds nerdy, but it's true). I'm sure JS and the Suzuki crew will get the bike more dialed in.

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

6/5/2014 5:29 PM

peelout wrote:

Kenny is so fucking impressive. anyone who doesn't see him as the obvious favorite for the title either has the last name ...more

The thing that hit me the most watching the vid of Kenny is just how low in the rpm's he keeps it. Its like he is just putting around the track, so controlled and seemed like he could have even kicked it up a notch if he needed to.

It will take another race for me to call him a favorite to the title.

|

6/5/2014 5:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 5:32 PM

Overdrive wrote:

The thing that hit me the most watching the vid of Kenny is just how low in the rpm's he keeps it. Its like he is just putting ...more

Seems like he's picking up some good techniques training with RV. I wonder how much of a difference, if any, handling wise, lower RPMs affect engine inertia?

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

6/5/2014 6:40 PM

Don't know the answer to that question Hank but its pretty damn amazing to watch from a first hand point of view. He makes it look like its just a practice day, a walk in the park.

|

6/5/2014 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2014 7:46 PM

Hank_Thrill wrote:

Seems like he's picking up some good techniques training with RV. I wonder how much of a difference, if any, handling wise, ...more

huh? I don't get what your saying

RV hits the limiter all the time
Where as KR, as already mentioned, is hardly ever bouncing off it.

Maybe I'm think sx vs mx?

Back on topic, JS missed a few corners but also put the bike inside others lines a few times too
I think he just wasn't feelin it, and backed it down a notch to live to fight another day

KR hit just about every mark and line, great precision for mx.

|

Mr Lee Van Cleef wouldnt mind