Suspension revalving

2/22/2023 5:58pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Have in correct Springs and sag are important and remember that the springs sag and valving all have to work together. If one is off it...

Have in correct Springs and sag are important and remember that the springs sag and valving all have to work together. If one is off it can throw the rest off.

Learn to Feel how your suspension is working and that will help you in any changes you need.

If you are having a problem with how it is working have someone video you so you can go back and see in slow motion what it is doing. Experiment with your clickers so you can feel what changes they make.

Yeah that’s what I did. Installed stiffer fork&  shock spring . Play with the sag & clickers, added fork oil a few times.  I had it working great everywhere except the whoops, it bottomed hard too.  With a fc revalve for whoops it was 1,000 % better in the whoops. Even if I jumped 5 in & hit the front wheel on the 5th. It didn’t bottom out & pack causing you to stop. It drove rt threw I just stayed on the gas & kept clipping the tops.

PTshox
2/22/2023 10:50pm

One thing about the fork on the 20+ 250FX... KYB is using a mid valve stem (the chrome part the mid valve piston sits on) that is not the best for off road. There is limited travel for the shims before they hit a "stop". Some replace this stem with the older style one that allows more "float" on the mid valve. More float allows more flow of oil for sharp hits. 

Modern mid valves are really pretty restrictive for off road. They simply loc up on the sharp rocks and roots. Best bet is to loosen up the mid valve compression considerably and even drill out the bleed hole in the mid valve piston to get more flow through it..... My 3 cents. 

I totally modified my mid valve with one of Dave J's del taco setups. We swapped out the mid valve stem for the older style. The fork now works very very well off road! 

The Shop

Post a reply to: Suspension revalving

The Latest