Suspension revalving

Edited Date/Time 2/25/2020 5:05pm
How important is it to have your suspension revalved to your weight and skill level in your opinion?
How much of a difference does it really make?
Also, what are you willing to spend to have it done?
|
kkawboy14
2/17/2020 8:57pm
1) very important

2) can make the difference between you getting wore out after 2 laps or making it 7 laps

3) $600
agn5009
2/17/2020 9:09pm
It's the most important thing you can do to a bike. Itll help significantly. You should be around $600 I guess. A lot depends whether you need springs and such.
Rotaholic
2/17/2020 9:09pm
Depends how much u hate Mondays, nothing worse than starting the week feeling like you just went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Get the revalve (and correct spring rates)
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/17/2020 9:10pm
In my opinion, correct Spring rate is the most important.

Setting sag is second

Valving is third.

The Shop

Chance1216
2/17/2020 9:10pm
I had my suspension revalved and resprung to my weight.
I noticed in corners my bike would pull to the outside. This was due to the suspension being set up for a lighter rider. Not very confidence inspiring. After getting it set up it for myself, it tracked better and carved corners a lot better.
It is worth it in my opinion. I paid $750 to have the work done.
Jbrady247
2/17/2020 9:19pm
I would start with making sure your springs are right for your weight. Then play with the sag setting. Then the clickers. If your still not happy then have it valved
2/17/2020 9:34pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I had my suspension revalved and resprung to my weight. I noticed in corners my bike would pull to the outside. This was due to the...
I noticed in corners my bike would pull to the outside. This was due to the suspension being set up for a lighter rider. Not very confidence inspiring. After getting it set up it for myself, it tracked better and carved corners a lot better.
Exactly what I was feeling, bike kept understearing in.corners so no matter what I was doing I kept running really wide. I've got my bike In at a local shop that actually run a race team here in Australia and use alot of pro circuit products. For complete revalved, resping, bushings, seals, oil.... The works front and back it's going to be $1000-1300 (more than what you guys in states pay but we get bent over for everything here)
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
2/17/2020 9:36pm
aussie_108 wrote:
How important is it to have your suspension revalved to your weight and skill level in your opinion? How much of a difference does it really...
How important is it to have your suspension revalved to your weight and skill level in your opinion?
It varies by your build, skill, and type of riding and the model you are riding.

To be completely up front, I work for a company that a lot of it's business is building revalved setups for riders; however, I don't ever believe in selling bullshit.

First things first, "The best you've ridden is the best you know." That means if you haven't ever had "good" suspension, you don't actually know how good it can be. You don't have to go all out immediately because "better" could be "great" to you and that's okay.

Start with the free stuff...

Check your sag.
Make sure your forks are installed properly (not pinched at the axle or over torqued in the clamps)
Ensure linkage is greased
Bleed the air
Recommended height in the clamps
Proper tire pressure (yes, this makes a huge difference too!)

Next, make sure everything is in proper working order and fresh. FLUIDS WEAR OUT! and quality of fluids and wear parts make a huge difference. Your cheap suspension fluid is not as good as a high quality fluid. Not all fluids that say "5wt or 10wt" are the same, infact, quite opposite! From there, proper rate springs set the balance of the bike. This is 80% of a setup for a lot of guys.

If you still want more or are looking for something specific, then you look at valving.

Then you have to do your research on valving and who you want to work with and trust. Just like fluids, Johnny Bumpsticker down the street isn't going to give you the same revalve as another company. Every revalve is different. You have to do your research. Some guys get a 2020 KX250 for the first time and it's your bike and they take out a shim and send you on your way. Some guys have done 100 2020 KX250s and have done 15 with the same rider weight and skill level as you and have fine tuned a setting. A few have a suspension dyno and 2 of them likely know how to use it. Some replace parts. Some say they do but never do. It's an internal service, so DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I'm happy to recommend or offer any advice to help you get the best value for your money. There are many options, but choose the one that fits what YOU need. Local tuner has great service, national company has more resources. Some have both. There are great ones of both too.

As far as price, it depends what you are getting and what you're willing to pay for. I would go with quality springs and fluids and stock valving over a hack revalve anyday though even if it's "cheaper" to go to the "revalve". You can make a setup worse just as easily as you can better if you don't have the right person working on your stuff.
2/17/2020 9:42pm
aussie_108 wrote:
How important is it to have your suspension revalved to your weight and skill level in your opinion? How much of a difference does it really...
It varies by your build, skill, and type of riding and the model you are riding. To be completely up front, I work for a company...
It varies by your build, skill, and type of riding and the model you are riding.

To be completely up front, I work for a company that a lot of it's business is building revalved setups for riders; however, I don't ever believe in selling bullshit.

First things first, "The best you've ridden is the best you know." That means if you haven't ever had "good" suspension, you don't actually know how good it can be. You don't have to go all out immediately because "better" could be "great" to you and that's okay.

Check your sag.
Make sure your forks are installed properly (not pinched at the axle or over torqued in the clamps)
Bleed the air

Next, make sure everything is in proper working order and fresh. FLUIDS WEAR OUT! and quality of fluids and wear parts make a huge difference. Your cheap suspension fluid is not as good as a high quality fluid. Not all fluids that say "5wt or 10wt" are the same, infact, quite opposite! From there, proper rate springs set the balance of the bike. This is 80% of a setup for a lot of guys.

If you still want more or are looking for something specific, then you look at valving.

Then you have to do your research on valving and who you want to work with and trust. Just like fluids, Johnny Bumpsticker down the street isn't going to give you the same revalve as another company. Every revalve is different. You have to do your research. Some guys get a 2020 KX250 for the first time and it's your bike and they take out a shim and send you on your way. Some guys have done 100 2020 KX250s and have done 15 with the same rider weight and skill level as you and have fine tuned a setting. A few have a suspension dyno and 2 of them likely know how to use it. Some replace parts. Some say they do but never do. It's an internal service, so DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I'm happy to recommend or offer any advice to help you get the best value for your money. There are many options, but choose the one that fits what YOU need. Local tuner has great service, national company has more resources. Some have both. There are great ones of both too.

As far as price, it depends what you are getting and what you're willing to pay for. I would go with quality springs and fluids and stock valving over a hack revalve anyday though even if it's "cheaper" to go to the "revalve". You can make a setup worse just as easily as you can better if you don't have the right person working on your stuff.
I just messaged you mate
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/17/2020 9:49pm

Setting sag is second

Valving is third.
Was going to say this exactly when I read the OP.
H4L
2/17/2020 9:56pm
It varies by your build, skill, and type of riding and the model you are riding. To be completely up front, I work for a company...

Check your sag.
Bleed the air

Very good advice. After dealing with 9 different suspension companies in the last 3 decades unfortunately some suspension tuners are good while others aren’t.
Do your homework as suggested above.
wheres wally
Fantasy
809th
2/17/2020 10:01pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I had my suspension revalved and resprung to my weight. I noticed in corners my bike would pull to the outside. This was due to the...
aussie_108 wrote:
Exactly what I was feeling, bike kept understearing in.corners so no matter what I was doing I kept running really wide. I've got my bike In...
Exactly what I was feeling, bike kept understearing in.corners so no matter what I was doing I kept running really wide. I've got my bike In at a local shop that actually run a race team here in Australia and use alot of pro circuit products. For complete revalved, resping, bushings, seals, oil.... The works front and back it's going to be $1000-1300 (more than what you guys in states pay but we get bent over for everything here)
$1000 to $1300 is about right for Aus.

I paid $1100 to have my shock revalved, resprung and a bladder kit put in and just a service on the front forks. It was an extra $250 to revalve forks and $100 for fork springs if I wanted them too, but I had mine setup previously and swapped from a previous bike.

Is it worth it? For me yeah it was but its not a necessity. I was happy riding my bike before any suspension work but just feel more comfortable now, If i hadn't the cash to throw at it I'd still be happy out with the bike.
2/17/2020 10:17pm
Chance1216 wrote:
aussie_108 wrote:
Exactly what I was feeling, bike kept understearing in.corners so no matter what I was doing I kept running really wide. I've got my bike In...
$1000 to $1300 is about right for Aus. I paid $1100 to have my shock revalved, resprung and a bladder kit put in and just a...
$1000 to $1300 is about right for Aus.

I paid $1100 to have my shock revalved, resprung and a bladder kit put in and just a service on the front forks. It was an extra $250 to revalve forks and $100 for fork springs if I wanted them too, but I had mine setup previously and swapped from a previous bike.

Is it worth it? For me yeah it was but its not a necessity. I was happy riding my bike before any suspension work but just feel more comfortable now, If i hadn't the cash to throw at it I'd still be happy out with the bike.
I'm getting the guys from raceline KTM (Dean Ferris newer team) to do all the work.
I was happy with the bike, but just felt the rear was too low no matter what I did and it kept making me push wide or wash the front with no grip.
wheres wally
Fantasy
809th
2/17/2020 10:41pm
aussie_108 wrote:
I'm getting the guys from raceline KTM (Dean Ferris newer team) to do all the work. I was happy with the bike, but just felt the...
I'm getting the guys from raceline KTM (Dean Ferris newer team) to do all the work.
I was happy with the bike, but just felt the rear was too low no matter what I did and it kept making me push wide or wash the front with no grip.
Never used Raceline but sounds like they'd know their stuff. But definitely give the guys a call tell them about what your feeling and see if they feel the revalve will help (they may suggest things like Spring kits or bladder kits if a KTM and will pus the price way up), also have your spring rates on hand when you call as they'll ask what you're running.

I've used MCD out by Penrith and was extremely happy with they're work. I talked to them about what issues I was feeling and they were able to adjust to suit.

Also what bike are you riding?
2/17/2020 10:47pm
aussie_108 wrote:
I'm getting the guys from raceline KTM (Dean Ferris newer team) to do all the work. I was happy with the bike, but just felt the...
Never used Raceline but sounds like they'd know their stuff. But definitely give the guys a call tell them about what your feeling and see if...
Never used Raceline but sounds like they'd know their stuff. But definitely give the guys a call tell them about what your feeling and see if they feel the revalve will help (they may suggest things like Spring kits or bladder kits if a KTM and will pus the price way up), also have your spring rates on hand when you call as they'll ask what you're running.

I've used MCD out by Penrith and was extremely happy with they're work. I talked to them about what issues I was feeling and they were able to adjust to suit.

Also what bike are you riding?
I had the bike there already and explained exactly what was happening with it etc. I am mates who have used them before too and had great feedback.

I'm on an old 2010 yz250f that has very low hours on it, has the stock kyb SSS forks and kyb shock, still all original springs, everything. I took the tank and shrouds off over the weekend and they had never been off the bike before 😂 had to "crack" a few of them off with the socket.
Rotaholic
2/17/2020 10:59pm
I can't say enough good things about Ken Wheeler at Factory Spec, definitely give him a call. He's based in Sydney
2/17/2020 11:04pm
Rotaholic wrote:
I can't say enough good things about Ken Wheeler at Factory Spec, definitely give him a call. He's based in Sydney
I grew up with his kids 😂
CPR
2/18/2020 2:25am

Setting sag is second

Valving is third.
1. Spring rate
2. Sag
3. Do a riding school and learn technique.
4. Practice
5. Adjust everything you can to get the standard set up as good as you possibly can.
6. If you're still not happy and think it's holding you back, get the valving done.

motomike894
2/18/2020 4:09am
It makes a huge difference but depending on your weight and skill level and the riding your doing that matters I guess to weather or not it’s worth it to do it.

Correct springs and fresh fluids etc make huge difference like what’s been said, but also with spring rates if you go too far one way or the other without modifying your valving at all it will Jack it up too, so be careful with that.
Indy mxer
2/18/2020 4:37am
I've been very happy with FC suspension revalve. I have mine done before I ever start the bike. I'm 5'6" and 154. So I know going in I need different springs to get proper sag. Money well spent imo.
sandtrack315
2/18/2020 5:04am
Setting the sag is free and necessary. Motool makes a super nice tool to make this easy to do. Check it often.

Correct spring rates are also necessary. You might be able to get away with adjusting via clickers, though, if you are in the range for the stock springs.

Revalving is not necessary, but does improve the suspension up to 35 percent, I think. I like Enzo for KYB stuff. Never had anything else, so I don't know about Showa stuff. I would stick with a very reputable brand. Some small shops will actually make your stuff worse.

Always error on the side of stiffer. It will push you to ride it faster, as stiffer suspension works better the faster you go.
m21racing
2/18/2020 7:21am
Just interview the company, or tuner you choose to work with. Not all are equal as stated earlier. Some feel comfortable with larger companies, some don't. I know several that have paid a larger price, and still had to send it back more than once. Keep that in mind when shipping out. Also, the local guy may not be right either. So, having someone in and out of it, even if close may not be right.
Ask the company/tuner thier experience, education, and approach to resolving issues. There are only so many distributors of hard parts, and we all use same ones. Some companies have a direct link to factory resources others can't get.

Bottom line is the stock stuff can be tuned well, very well. There are many options; stock revalve, aftermarket hard parts ( pistons, seats, etc), and totally upgraded systems from stock platform (mxt lucky, cone valve conversions). Budget, rider experience, and how long you plan to keep the bike should factor into your decision. Some of the total overhaul packages are nice because they can be removed when the bike is sold and reused.
2/18/2020 7:37am
Finding someone local who can communicate and also allow you to communicate is a big plus. Any suspension tuner can talk you about the parts and benefits of throwing things at the bike, but the really good ones can take your feedback and make recommendations based on similar riders and your interpretation of your issues.

If you don't have a sag measure tool, get one. Motool slacker is great, pricey yes, but takes all the guess work out and quick and easy to do. Learn about what adjustments do; high speed vs low speed, compression vs rebound, what the position of the forks do in the clamps, what is the proper spring rate for your weight and/or speed, etc.

Also check on things like what is the correct torque spec for your clamps, engine mounts, fork lowers, shock mounts, subframe assembly, etc. Any of those out of spec could create feedback issues or hamper your overall riding experience.
Wade221
2/18/2020 7:52am

Setting sag is second

Valving is third.
CPR wrote:
1. Spring rate 2. Sag 3. Do a riding school and learn technique. 4. Practice 5. Adjust everything you can to get the standard set up...
1. Spring rate
2. Sag
3. Do a riding school and learn technique.
4. Practice
5. Adjust everything you can to get the standard set up as good as you possibly can.
6. If you're still not happy and think it's holding you back, get the valving done.

...and of course riding school recommendation makes it way on the list 🤷🏻‍♂️
Red141
2/18/2020 8:10am
aussie_108 wrote:
If you are racing, it should be at the top of your list. I've ridden Hondas then KTMs the past 15 years and my bikes were so much easier to ride faster, harder and longer after the re-valve. I've used Factory Connection and budget about $1K for fork and shock springs and re-valving.

If you are just riding for fun then getting the correct spring rate and oil weight/height will suffice.
kkawboy14
2/18/2020 8:56am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 8:57am
1) if all you know is bad suspension you will get used to that? Ok

2) if all you know is good suspension.......

Let a fast guy at the track ride your bike and help you set it up, that’s where I would start.

2/18/2020 9:04am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 9:04am
It boggles my mind that people spend $600+ for a simple revalve. If you want to spend all that money for someone else to do it, by all means, its your money.

Just buy a RaceTech GoldValve kit and a few cheap special tools and do it yourself and you'll be set for a long time for much less! Suspension work is not difficult. Doing it yourself, you'll have the confidence to rebuild your suspension on a regular basis and keep it performing the best (fluids, seals, and bushings changes every 20-30 hours here!). Its better to know how your suspension works anyway as its THE most important aspect of your bike when it comes to rider confidence and quicker lap times.
Moto Mofo
2/18/2020 11:55am
It boggles my mind that people spend $600+ for a simple revalve. If you want to spend all that money for someone else to do it...
It boggles my mind that people spend $600+ for a simple revalve. If you want to spend all that money for someone else to do it, by all means, its your money.

Just buy a RaceTech GoldValve kit and a few cheap special tools and do it yourself and you'll be set for a long time for much less! Suspension work is not difficult. Doing it yourself, you'll have the confidence to rebuild your suspension on a regular basis and keep it performing the best (fluids, seals, and bushings changes every 20-30 hours here!). Its better to know how your suspension works anyway as its THE most important aspect of your bike when it comes to rider confidence and quicker lap times.
What’s a set of gold valves cost these days? Last time I checked, it seems like it wasn’t far off from the price of a revalve. I do agree that people should learn to work on, and tune, their own suspension.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/18/2020 12:09pm
It boggles my mind that people spend $600+ for a simple revalve. If you want to spend all that money for someone else to do it...

Moto Mofo wrote:
What’s a set of gold valves cost these days? Last time I checked, it seems like it wasn’t far off from the price of a revalve...
What’s a set of gold valves cost these days? Last time I checked, it seems like it wasn’t far off from the price of a revalve. I do agree that people should learn to work on, and tune, their own suspension.
About $170 for the rear and $190 for the front.

For me, I'd rather pay someone to do it properly than try myself, screw something up, have my suspension do something funky and put me on my head. There is a reason I don't have a suspension shop and why I take my stuff to someone with the knowledge to do suspension properly.
PTshox
2/18/2020 1:14pm

Setting sag is second

Valving is third.
This above is the order it should be done in. Spring rates are most critical.
It can take a bike you hate and make it one you love. It's that important.

Post a reply to: Suspension revalving

The Latest