Suspension recomendations?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2021 8:31 AM

I just got a new bike, and i would like to have the suspension sent out. Any good recomendations? I race XC so are there different manufactuers for that kind of suspension? Thanks!

|

8/30/2021 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2021 12:13 PM

If I lived 70 miles (like you) from Factory Connection I would probably give them a call.

What bike did you get?

Edit: I would look for a company that is close, that way if I wasn't happy with what I got I could easily take my forks/shock back to get it tweaked. That's the advantage of being close to say Factory Connection.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

8/30/2021 10:45 AM

KYB = Enzo
Showa = Pro Circuit
WP = AEO/REP or Enzo for KYB conversion

|

8/30/2021 10:54 AM

Not sure where you are located but Kory at Pro Action nailed my setup first shot. Took a half turn out of the high speed on the shock and it’s perfect.

|

8/30/2021 11:01 AM

Kyle978 wrote:

KYB = Enzo
Showa = Pro Circuit

Pro Circuit over Factory Connection, huh?

I have a 19 CRF and I have been going back and forth trying to decide who would do better with a revalve.

In your opinion is pro circuit better due to overall customer service or overall work?

|

8/30/2021 12:12 PM

I’ve always been a big fan of Factory Connection’s work. Especially if you live in New England, it’s a no brainer.

|

8/30/2021 12:14 PM

Go with a local shop that will fine tune your suspension at the track.

|

8/30/2021 12:36 PM

Stock is best. Every time I sent my suspension to FC or RT it came back worse with a $1100 bill.

|

8/30/2021 12:52 PM

SCC wrote:

Stock is best. Every time I sent my suspension to FC or RT it came back worse with a $1100 bill.

This is spot on for 80% of riders, just get springs for your weight and do some clicker adjustments.

|

8/30/2021 12:57 PM

Kyle978 wrote:

KYB = Enzo
Showa = Pro Circuit

Jardo wrote:

I have a 19 CRF and I have been going back and forth trying to decide who would do ...more

I have a guy in California call Clint stapes Stapes suspension he’s working with quite a few guys . Very good stuff I have the kyb kit on my 21 crf 450 and it’s awesome . Give him a call

|

8/30/2021 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2021 1:01 PM

Way I look at it factory connection and pro-circuit give everyone pretty much the same valving just move the springs around . Seen it first hand not worth all the money they clam u def don’t get the good stuff unless your a top guy.not worth it tell you what u like to here and take a lot of money for little feeling .

|

8/30/2021 1:20 PM

Listen to the people who are saying to find someone local.

Ask around at the track or races, every area has a "guy" that people trust, go to that guy. Heck, you can probably tell who it is just by looking at the stickers on forks at the races.

For off road, you can't have a one size fits all setting like the big shops have for most moto guys who send their stuff in, you want to have someone who knows the local terrain, races, etc. to set up your stuff.

|

8/30/2021 1:28 PM

SCC wrote:

I just sent mine out this morning and I’m hoping your not correct.

|

8/30/2021 2:21 PM

i like Factory Connection. I have been using them for awhile and they are easy to work with and have a "file" on me. They know my bikes and are aggressive about getting my business. They make it easy by sending a box with all the packing supplies. They stand by their work and have several locations so they get it done quickly. I chose them over Enzo on my YZ250 and had them do a plusher setup than my other bikes. Came back really good and exactly what i was looking for.

|

8/30/2021 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2021 2:34 PM

Jardo wrote:

I have a 19 CRF and I have been going back and forth trying to decide who would do ...more

I haven't used FC since 2006, and they only did my 450 and 250f that year. It was fine but I also didn't use them again. In all fairness, I was a 15 year old C rider then and didn't know what I like. So my opinion on FC is basically worthless.

PC did my '21 Kawi 450 a few months ago. I am very particular with my feeling and I'm a 200lb A rider so it's hard to get the right bottoming resistance and hold up without being harsh.

PC nailed it first shot. They re-valved, re-sprung, put in new pistons and shock bladder kit. It is some of the best suspension I've ever had, and I've been lucky enough to work with the best tuners and use A-kit stuff in the past.

I didn't have any contacts there, just gave my info and I paid full price. It was about $1,000 all said and done, which is fair considering what they did. I'm stoked.

|

8/30/2021 3:43 PM

Find someone local and remember suspension tuning is mostly about what you can tell them about your current suspension that you don’t like/want different.

|

8/30/2021 3:44 PM

Bogett287 wrote:

Way I look at it factory connection and pro-circuit give everyone pretty much the same valving just move the springs around . ...more

This is primarily what every shop does. You are paying for the valving settings and labor.

|

8/30/2021 3:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2021 4:39 AM

I use FC and love the results. Their customer service excellemt. If you need help with adjustments they're always willing to help.
You can always get someone on the phone. That's a big deal to me. I used PC about 10 years ago and their customer service wasn't very good. But they may be better now.

|

8/30/2021 4:11 PM

Big FC guy here.

Since I switch to KTM though been looking at AEO but may just have FC do a spring conversion and call it a day

|

8/30/2021 5:49 PM

Kreft

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

8/30/2021 6:16 PM

I’ll second (third? Fifth? Tenth?) the find someone local that knows the terrain where you ride/race, and is willing to modify set up to your liking at no cost. This is WAY more important in the off road world.

I’ve used non-local companies for a long time and always felt like I was wasting my money, and either couldn’t really tell a difference or felt like it was worse…and I didn’t want to spend the money to ship it back for them to fix it, so I just dealt with it….I’m a desert racer….desert to a Southern Californian means Lucerne Valley (high speed, big whoops, etc). The desert around me, is slower, more technical, etc….so the out of state shops could never get it right because even though we were using the same words, they meant different things to them.

I gave up on revalves and just ran stock on my last three bikes…but decided to give a local tuner a shot on my 21 YZ450FX….MotoXperts in Spanish Fork Utah (the same company that is supporting Josh Knight at ISDE in Italy). He knew exactly what I was looking for and I just got the suspension back.

One ride on it, on a private single track loop that I’ve ridden hundreds of times on many different bikes…we’ve got a lot of Strava segments on it (since it’s private) and I set PR’s on all but three segments I didn’t stop in the middle of (and those three where my second fastest times. It was better everywhere! Use a local tuner.
Photo

|

8/31/2021 4:51 AM

Bogett287 wrote:

Way I look at it factory connection and pro-circuit give everyone pretty much the same valving just move the springs around . ...more

soggy wrote:

This is primarily what every shop does. You are paying for the valving settings and labor.

Everyone needs to do what works best for them. I'm 64 and weigh 150. Every new bike I buy beats me to death stock.

I can't even get the sag close to to where it needs to be. It's worth the money for me to have FC take care of it.
I send mine in as soon as I buy the bike so I don't pay for any wear parts.

I'm on my 4th new KX with FC suspension and I'm very happy with the results.
But there's many good choices out there when it comes to suspension.

|

8/31/2021 7:03 PM

Jardo wrote:

Like everyone is saying, go with someone local.
In Visalia that would be Over The Top Motorsports. He's the only Race Tech certified guy that I'm aware of in the area, he also works with MX Tech, Bud Racing, along with others. He'll even pick the bike up if you'd prefer. Jeff Grodsky 559-936-1697

Yes, I'm biased. He's one of my closest friends. smile

|

8/31/2021 7:33 PM

Kyle978 wrote:

KYB = Enzo
Showa = Pro Circuit

Jardo wrote:

Matt Fisher wrote:

Like everyone is saying, go with someone local.
In Visalia that would be Over The Top Motorsports. He's the only Race Tech ...more

That’s gold!! I assumed that the only “local” people doing suspension were down south. I owe you one!

|

9/7/2021 5:05 AM

dkurtd wrote:

If I lived 70 miles (like you) from Factory Connection I would probably give them a call.

What bike did you get?

Edit: I ...more

i just got a Kawasaki Kx100, and ive been thinking about fc.

|

9/7/2021 5:56 AM

Indy mxer wrote:

Everyone needs to do what works best for them. I'm 64 and weigh 150. Every new bike I buy beats me to death stock.

I can't ...more

I wasn’t throwing shade at FC or PC at all. Just that most suspension shops aren’t giving us a one off setting just for us. It’s usually a setting they’ve used with many different guys that they’ve found works well. and s as always the more feedback you can give on a current setup the better

|

9/7/2021 5:58 AM

Joshua Knight wrote:

i just got a Kawasaki Kx100, and ive been thinking about fc.

FC is great but expensive. For a kid on a tighter budget I would look elsewhere, local if possible

|

9/7/2021 6:19 AM

You can’t go wrong with FC. I’ve had good and bad luck with local guys. I’ve never had a bad setup from FC. I still like working with local guys but can see the attraction from. FC setup.

|