Suspension Question

Related:
Create New Tag

1/3/2019 5:52 PM

I was wondering about the difference between works suspension and a kit/over the counter suspension. For example the difference between Dean Wilson's and Jason Anderson's fork. How much of a difference does it make for supercross.
Sorry if this is a stupid question recently got into the sport few years ago and trying to learn all about it.

|

1/3/2019 6:05 PM

Diameter of the forks and coatings mostly is the difference

|

1/3/2019 7:04 PM

There's a huge difference but not as much as i would say 10-15 years ago.
So in short order with out to much detail.
Diameter of the tubes, types of material used for parts like aluminum, ti, carbon fiber. The tolerances of each part are much closer, coatings. But the most important is the endless support to tune it for the rider both during the week and on race day.

|

1/3/2019 7:28 PM

Deano commented he may prefer the 48’s over the larger forks. Said the setup is working very well. Hope he crushes it at A1!

|

1/3/2019 7:32 PM

More than one factory guy runs the 48s over the 52s. The smaller diameter stanchions flex more

|

1/3/2019 7:44 PM

kb228 wrote:

Have you been inside of a works fork? Or an a kit fork? I’m not trying to be a jerk but the differences are much greater than just a 49/52 mm lower stancion vs 48 and DLC/Kashima/TiNi coatings.

|

1/4/2019 2:20 AM

kb228 wrote:

dmm698 wrote:

Have you been inside of a works fork? Or an a kit fork? I’m not trying to be a jerk but the differences are much greater than ...more

Sorry man im an engineer not a suspension tech at pro circuit.

|

1/4/2019 2:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2019 2:25 AM

That being said Deano isnt running some revalved oem stuff either. Hes running cone valve forks and a trax shock which is very expensive and very good suspension.

|

1/4/2019 3:55 AM

kb228 wrote:

Custodial?

|

'22 CRF250R...??
'21 KX250
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

1/4/2019 4:17 AM

dmm698 wrote:

Have you been inside of a works fork? Or an a kit fork? I’m not trying to be a jerk but the differences are much greater than ...more

kb228 wrote:

soopah noviss wrote:

Custodial?

Yes

|

1/4/2019 6:33 AM

kb228 wrote:

dmm698 wrote:

Have to agree

|

1/4/2019 6:35 AM

kb228 wrote:

dmm698 wrote:

lumpy790 wrote:

Have to agree

I thought all the internals were a given difference, thats why i didnt mention it

|

1/4/2019 6:46 AM

Someone told me that the Pros that run Cone Valve forks actually don't even use the Cone Valve technology, they use a Showa Mid-Valve. Not sure how true it is but definitely food for thought.

|

1/4/2019 8:29 AM

ML512 (who has been in works forks) says there is not as much difference as some think. It's mostly in the coatings and materials. Tube size can vary, but the new 49mm Showas are the same size as what they usually run. The WP 52mm Cones are an exception of course.
On the Cone Valve mid-valve, ML512 says they have used both regular mid-valve and Cone Valves to win races.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

1/4/2019 8:30 AM

TJMX947 wrote:

Someone told me that the Pros that run Cone Valve forks actually don't even use the Cone Valve technology, they use a Showa ...more

There is some truth to that. I know Billy at Powerband used to use the Showa mid-valve, but mostly on the woods and plusher setups.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!