Survey: Trackside Parts

Related:
Create New Tag

12/12/2017 11:37 AM

I have noticed in my region there are not a lot of (if any) shops that support local races with parts/fuel etc.

I am looking at adding parts and fuel to my trailer for the 2018 season. I am not looking at this as a business to replace my income or even subsidize it, just as a way to give back to the motocross community. If it nets profit, thats great but if it pays my fuel money I am okay with that also.

I already have a sales tax and federal tax ID and am setup with a couple distributors but want to add consumable parts (tires,chains, handlebars, etc)

Please give me your Top 10 parts you would want available to you at the track!

Thanks in advance!

|

12/12/2017 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 12:05 PM

Levers, grips, tubes, and tear offs.

|

12/12/2017 11:44 AM

Chains, bolts, lubes, tools

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

12/12/2017 11:45 AM

In addition to Tex...
Bars
Grip Donuts
Two Stroke oil
Chain Lube
Motor oil
Brake fluid
Clutch Fluid for KTM/Husky (is it mineral oil?)
Inexpensive bike stand(s)
Googles
Oh, and...Power-bands...Sprocket Bolts and a torque-wrench...yes, I'm a smart ass.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/12/2017 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 11:46 AM

Assorted M4, M5, M6, M8 & M10 fasteners...

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/12/2017 11:46 AM

Goggles and tear offs, sparkplugs, tubes

|

12/12/2017 11:46 AM

Grips, levers, tubes, throttle tubes, cables, tires, contact cleaner, chain lube, tear offs, gloves

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/12/2017 11:57 AM

PEDs hot item right now.

|

12/12/2017 11:58 AM

Alta Air filters.

|

12/12/2017 12:03 PM

Make sure track is ok with you selling stuff first, if you haven't yet. They usually want a cut.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

12/12/2017 12:14 PM

Tubes, filter cleaning supplies, grips, safety wire, foam if your local area has a lot of mud races.

|

12/12/2017 12:33 PM

Riding gloves- maybe a 'neutral' brand like Deft Family or 100%.

Hats/beanies- they are lightwieght, you only need 1 or 2 sizes, and you have a capitve audience who will make impulse purchases.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

12/12/2017 12:34 PM

Not a good business model, carrying cost of inventory will absorb any sort of profit you would make. This has been used in the past as a way to race and use it as a tax shelter (write off race expenses as cost of doing business, fuel, food,etc). Also if your racing who is watching the store? I have seen it be successful only for dealerships who pull the product off the shelves for the race and then return them after the weekend. "Giving back to the sport" is commendable I would suggest volunteering to flag for the weekend.

|

12/12/2017 12:41 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Grips, levers, tubes, throttle tubes, cables, tires, contact cleaner, chain lube, tear offs, gloves

x2!

|

12/12/2017 12:51 PM

Also everyone on Vital wants you to do this....why? So you can buy all their spare consumables and bring them to the races for them and they only purchase what the need in an emergency. If you really want to do this, buy a mobile tire machine and mount it in your trailer once everybody knows you change tires at the track you will be the most popular guy in the pits.

|

12/12/2017 1:04 PM

Rain ponchos

|

12/12/2017 1:10 PM

Thank You all that have input! I truly appreciate it. This will help me narrow down the keystone items that I need to purchase first and then I can add as I see fit or customer demand.

|

12/12/2017 1:14 PM

dirtmike86 wrote:

PEDs hot item right now.

Photo

|

12/12/2017 1:16 PM

oldmotophan wrote:

Also everyone on Vital wants you to do this....why? So you can buy all their spare consumables and bring them to the races for them and they only purchase what the need in an emergency. If you really want to do this, buy a mobile tire machine and mount it in your trailer once everybody knows you change tires at the track you will be the most popular guy in the pits.

oldmotophan,

First off thank you for your input. I understand your previous comment in regards to profit absorbment. I currently have a commercial 2500sq ft shop that I do engine machining, blue printing and rebuilding out of. I solely do that as a hobby, did it full time for 4 years, made good money, but lost the "fun" that is motocross. It is all paid for, so no overhead other than insurance, water and electricity which is minimal for a super cool "Man Cave"

I am no longer racing, still riding, but still enjoy being at the races. I have already purchased a tire stand and will be offering tire changing services at the track if you buy tires from me or even a tube.

I have a small store front in my shop which will allow customers to come by the shop and pick up items as needed.

My father uses it as his hangout during the week so he has been good about taking care of my "few" customers if they need something.

|

12/12/2017 1:20 PM

Snacks! Sounds silly, and probably not a high revenue item, but a cooler full of Gatorade and some munchies will keep the till moving.

|

12/12/2017 2:33 PM

Levers
Bars
Grips
Tires
Tubes
Various fluid (2 stroke, motor oil, coolant, carb cleaner, etc)
Miscellaneous bolts
Air filters
Numbers
Yamabond or alike. I just recently was at a race and a guy got a small crack in his engine case. They were scrambling around for something to patch it up.

|

12/12/2017 2:34 PM

oldmotophan wrote:

btroxler wrote:

oldmotophan,

First off thank you for your input. I understand your previous comment in regards to profit absorbment. I currently have a commercial 2500sq ft shop that I do engine machining, blue printing and rebuilding out of. I solely do that as a hobby, did it full time for 4 years, made good money, but lost the "fun" that is motocross. It is all paid for, so no overhead other than insurance, water and electricity which is minimal for a super cool "Man Cave"

I am no longer racing, still riding, but still enjoy being at the races. I have already purchased a tire stand and will be offering tire changing services at the track if you buy tires from me or even a tube.

I have a small store front in my shop which will allow customers to come by the shop and pick up items as needed.

My father uses it as his hangout during the week so he has been good about taking care of my "few" customers if they need something.

I was just trying to be the voice of reason. A couple guys in my area have done this and they all lost money and ended up with a bad taste in their mouth. I managed a large dealership we did this at a few events and it was a lot more work than expected and a lot less income than expected. low margins and the promoters cut makes it almost impossible. Just my experience.

|

12/12/2017 2:38 PM

Tearoffs tubes tires grips/glue levers duct tape zip ties sprocket bolts factory ecu

|

12/12/2017 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 2:53 PM

Holeshot, couldn't buy one anywhere last year.

|

12/12/2017 3:17 PM

spokes , one time i ripped some spokes out.

|

12/12/2017 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 3:27 PM

Goggles for sure. I almost always got a pair from the parts trailer at the track even if I didn't really need them. Impulse purchase.

|

12/12/2017 3:39 PM

Radiator caps

|

12/12/2017 3:43 PM

Jets for sure with all the two strokes running around again. there were times when I’d pay $10 to get the jet I needed. Tear offs for sure and tires/tubes. Every time I see a race trailer selling parts they are always changing tires all day lonng

|

12/12/2017 3:47 PM

mx_563 wrote:

Snacks! Sounds silly, and probably not a high revenue item, but a cooler full of Gatorade and some munchies will keep the till moving.

I'd like to add coffee and donuts to this snack list..All tracks offer food though..

|

12/12/2017 3:56 PM

Donovan759 wrote:

Alta Air filters.

Hahaha great one!

|