Surprised by 2013 KTM Dungey Replica

2whlfun
Edited Date/Time 12/11/2012 1:50pm
I thought this was a one time deal in 2012 to get the Dunge on a great bike and the changes would be integrated into the 2013 450SXF with no need for another Dungey replica.
|
bents
Fantasy
909th
12/10/2012 9:17pm
KTM continues to lead the way. If I had the bank I'd be lining up to buy one of those bad boys. In fact, as soon I have the bank I'm going to buy a KTM, and I would like to start with a late model 250sx just to get things going.
Cigaro
12/10/2012 9:18pm
All I wanna know is will Dungeys bike actually be competitive in the whoops this year. If they haven't fixed that issue he'll be in for a long SX season...
newmann
12/10/2012 9:25pm
It's like the one year works bike exemption rule that keeps on giving and giving. Doesn't have to be available to the competition until after the season is over. Gotta love the AMA, protecting your right to ride....as long as you don't want to ride what your competition is riding. Production rule? Really? Funny shit, and KTM is not even bending the rulebook.
BAMX
12/10/2012 9:42pm
On one hand you have KTM which is willing to do whatever it takes to win and get the best bikes out there. On the other hand you have a company like Yamaha with bold new graphics. Does anyone want to take bets on where they will each be in 10 years?

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/10/2012 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2012 12:16am
newmann wrote:
It's like the one year works bike exemption rule that keeps on giving and giving. Doesn't have to be available to the competition until after the...
It's like the one year works bike exemption rule that keeps on giving and giving. Doesn't have to be available to the competition until after the season is over. Gotta love the AMA, protecting your right to ride....as long as you don't want to ride what your competition is riding. Production rule? Really? Funny shit, and KTM is not even bending the rulebook.
This one's supposed to be available in Feb...much earlier than last year. The earliest ones I saw were during the Nationals last year.

As a smaller company with fewer dealers than some of the other brands, KTM has more flexibility, and can get away with doing things that the others can't. I was talking to the PR honcho at another brand last week, and he said there's no way that they could do something like that.
ocscottie
12/11/2012 1:00am
Gibby, in your Inside the Red Bull/KTM Race Shop i think it is pretty cool how they chose to do 555 of them this year, and dig how Roger has a scale in his workplace that measures down to the gram...brought back memories Blink That place sure is freakin sano!

btw: really like the blue they added to the graphics:

Roger looks proud...and should be!
12/11/2012 1:29am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2012 2:37am
2whlfun wrote:
I thought this was a one time deal in 2012 to get the Dunge on a great bike and the changes would be integrated into the...
I thought this was a one time deal in 2012 to get the Dunge on a great bike and the changes would be integrated into the 2013 450SXF with no need for another Dungey replica.
Thats because the new bike has major changes (motor cases) aswell.
If you search pictures on google of a 12 Dungey replica or a 2013 450 from the right side and you can clearly se that the cases on the 13 factory edition is much smaller.
Since you are not aloud to change the motorcases or the frame in AMA racing, KTM had to go through the process all over again
and here it is, the 2013 factory edition Smile
nc97
12/11/2012 2:29am
GuyB wrote:
This one's supposed to be available in Feb...much earlier than last year. The earliest ones I saw were during the Nationals last year. As a smaller...
This one's supposed to be available in Feb...much earlier than last year. The earliest ones I saw were during the Nationals last year.

As a smaller company with fewer dealers than some of the other brands, KTM has more flexibility, and can get away with doing things that the others can't. I was talking to the PR honcho at another brand last week, and he said there's no way that they could do something like that.
Robbie Marshall had one of the first ones last year. He had his during the SX season.
Fearo
12/11/2012 2:38am
GuyB wrote:
This one's supposed to be available in Feb...much earlier than last year. The earliest ones I saw were during the Nationals last year. As a smaller...

'Can' or 'want'?

I doubt this 'flexibility' is so easy, even for a smaller brand like KTM. The way I see it is KTM is taking gambles left and right, and every single one is paying off.
HenryA
12/11/2012 3:41am
That bike is so sexy......
BHed635
12/11/2012 4:24am
After buying a new 450 Yamaha in '07 and a new Kawi in '11, Financial difficulties have hit and I had to sell all my motorcycles. I recovered enough to buy myself a '03 KTM 250sx, besides learning how to ride a 2-stroke again, I love the KTM! If by chance my hard word is rewarded this year, I will be in the market for one of these replica bikes. Love the thought put into design by the KTM engineers.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
12/11/2012 5:15am
Maybe motocross should go the way of snocross, where you can have a "base" model, but then the full race model is a limited build. To buy a snocross race sled you have to submit a resume to the manufacturer and get accepted to purchase it. Many times you get the opportunity to purchase at different price points. This does two things. One it should keep the price of a standard CRF, KXF, ... down as they don't have to try and have the latest tech on the base bike. This bike should be good enough for the weekend warrior to compete on. Two at the end of the year when you want to sell the racer replica bike it's worth more as there is a demand to upgrade over the basic edition available to the public. All I know is they have to find a way to make the new models more affordabel/worth more after one season or you are going to price the weekend warrior out of the concept of upgrading to a new bike every year or two.
41NDT
12/11/2012 6:01am
In Oz KTM at the junior (amateur) nationals are the power house brand
The Austrian manufacturer dominated the start gates at the 2012 titles, with a sea of 348 KTMs entered making up well over 50 percent of the 581 entries for the event.
Robgvx
12/11/2012 7:01am
Seems like a good idea to me. Build some limited edition, tricker, more expensive factory replica versions for those customers that are willing to pay.

If the demand is there...
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
12/11/2012 7:19am
Cigaro wrote:
All I wanna know is will Dungeys bike actually be competitive in the whoops this year. If they haven't fixed that issue he'll be in for...
All I wanna know is will Dungeys bike actually be competitive in the whoops this year. If they haven't fixed that issue he'll be in for a long SX season...
Doubt it's the bike....had the same issue on the Zuke. I think RV, CR, and JS will always be faster on that section of the track. He'll have to make it up elsewhere.
YZach
12/11/2012 10:18am
Cigaro wrote:
All I wanna know is will Dungeys bike actually be competitive in the whoops this year. If they haven't fixed that issue he'll be in for...
Madmax31 wrote:
Doubt it's the bike....had the same issue on the Zuke. I think RV, CR, and JS will always be faster on that section of the track...
Doubt it's the bike....had the same issue on the Zuke. I think RV, CR, and JS will always be faster on that section of the track. He'll have to make it up elsewhere.
Agreed.
varagon
12/11/2012 10:31am
Prob sold well and made alot of money in '12. No reason not to do it again.
lucero10x
12/11/2012 10:39am
GuyB wrote:

Sure they could. It's not rocket science. Wink
newmann
12/11/2012 11:10am
KTM wants to make a frame geometry change all they have to do is type a few new numbers into the tubing bender. The previous big 4 have to scrap all their casting molds and start over. Want to add some trick parts to the production line, just put them in this bin here. Previous big 4 can't figure out who needs to approve such a thing.
Cigaro
12/11/2012 1:16pm
Cigaro wrote:
Madmax31 wrote:
Doubt it's the bike....had the same issue on the Zuke. I think RV, CR, and JS will always be faster on that section of the track...
Dungey has always been strong in the whoops up till 2012. Dudes tall and has always been good in whoops. You don't go from being able to pull on James in the whoops one year to being yarded by Alessi in the whoops while on the new bike. That bike looked like shit all year in the whoops.

Tumblin
12/11/2012 1:24pm
newmann wrote:
It's like the one year works bike exemption rule that keeps on giving and giving. Doesn't have to be available to the competition until after the...
GuyB wrote:

"available in Feb...much earlier than last year." - but the opener is still A-1 early January, no?.

I wonder what that Replica 2014 will look like?

Newmann's still right- funny shit right there.
yz414
12/11/2012 1:50pm
i made a post about this like a month ago and everyone said it would never happen lol sweet justice

Post a reply to: Surprised by 2013 KTM Dungey Replica

The Latest