Supercross, the unhappiest sport ever ?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2018 2:14 AM

I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always so god damn depressed ?

Seems they have forgotten all the positives of racing a dirt bike for a living. Something that most of us could only of dreamed of.

Cheer up guys could be much worse.

|

4/29/2018 2:22 AM

laughing True.
|

4/29/2018 2:27 AM

Cianciarulo should be invited to every presser.

|

4/29/2018 2:57 AM

After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do some testing, go to Havasu for a few days, ride the hills and shoot some videos. It's such a grind now it's not even fun. Rv, Bubba, and Dungey couldn't get away from the sport quick enough after they got paid.

|

4/29/2018 3:02 AM

If I had daniel baker wagging his finger and scolding me like I was a 4 year old I'd be depressed too.

|

4/29/2018 3:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2018 3:11 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do some testing, go to Havasu for a few days, ride the hills and shoot some videos. It's such a grind now it's not even fun. Rv, Bubba, and Dungey couldn't get away from the sport quick enough after they got paid.

X2
The game changed, it’s a 24/7 high risk job, I doubt there is any time left for enjoyment. When we do see the top guys enjoying themselves (eg Roczen) they get flamed for not being dedicated enough.

|

4/29/2018 4:20 AM

Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do with a combination of being tired, and not really wanting to be there.

|

4/29/2018 4:25 AM

After a few hours of riding id be too tired and worn out to even try to put on a happy attitude. Let alone do it in front of media people. All i wanna do is get some food and go to sleep

|

4/29/2018 6:17 AM

Order a pizza, maybe take a nap.....doesn't really matter....

|

4/29/2018 6:18 AM

Order a pizza, maybe take a nap....doesn't really matter....

|

4/29/2018 6:30 AM

Sully wrote:

Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do with a combination of being tired, and not really wanting to be there.

|

4/29/2018 6:40 AM

TWELVE rounds of supercross is sufficient.

|

4/29/2018 7:08 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a lot of work. These guys are riding dirt bikes for a living...Let’s put things back into perspective here..laughing

|

4/29/2018 7:11 AM

Brad460 wrote:

These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a lot of work. These guys are riding dirt bikes for a living...Let’s put things back into perspective here..laughing

Which is why the last few that have been the best couldn’t wait to retire? RC, JS, RV, RD

|

4/29/2018 7:16 AM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Which is why the last few that have been the best couldn’t wait to retire? RC, JS, RV, RD

When have any of those guys said they “couldn’t wait” to retire?

|

4/29/2018 7:23 AM

They love racing. It’s just they hate press conferences. Who wouldn’t.

|

4/29/2018 7:30 AM

Good post.. RV said there was no more fun in it at the end of his racing career and sure I heard it from others. The fun in riding dirt bikes returned for many after the Pro racing ended. You do see this in all walks of American life, though.. everyone is so intensely competitive in the US and we take far fewer vacations than the rest of the developed world.. we have lost the ability to enjoy life. You see it in sports, you see it in the big US corporations. the almighty dollar and fame is what drives us. If you are not #1, you are nothing mentality. Sad way to waste a life. Racing out of the back of a van and going for a beer after the race was way more fun.

|

4/29/2018 8:56 AM

I get it's hard work. Most people work hard one way or another. A lot of non pro athletes work bloody hard being a competitive at a sport & working 50 hour weeks.

It's a shame they cant be a bit happier after the race, just look at the positive impact being happy & fun had on Valentino Rossi's career. People love to see a master at work & having fun doing it.

|

4/29/2018 9:38 AM

Prejump wrote:

I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always so god damn depressed ?

Seems they have forgotten all the positives of racing a dirt bike for a living. Something that most of us could only of dreamed of.

Yeah man, not only at the press conf', but podium speeches, track interview, always down, always depressed, always expressing guilt for not being the winner.
I understand the disappointment for not winning but cheerio bros, you're in front of the public now, bring in a bit of optimism for making the podium in one of the toughest racing series in the world.

|

"What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on."

4/29/2018 9:44 AM

Sully wrote:

That and they ask such stupid questions. Hey Tom Brady, what could you have done differently to win the Super Bowl?
"Um, score more points."

|

4/29/2018 9:47 AM

just watched the magoo documentary yesterday. he said back then 20th place should be making 100K.

these guys just dont make enough for the shit they have to go through.

|

4/29/2018 9:47 AM

Savatgy is never happy. Dude doesn’t realize that only one person can win on any weekend and he just isn’t doing enough to get the job done. Getting pissed on the podium just makes him come across as miserable.

|

4/29/2018 9:48 AM

couldn't care less about press conferences.

|

4/29/2018 10:06 AM

Brad460 wrote:

Even being a rock star just feels like work at some point......

and these guys are in a fckin meat grinder as well as 'showbiz'.
Watchin half your 'band' get taken out by injuries, with some easily career ending would kinda numb the senses.

|

4/29/2018 10:10 AM

"be careful" , wasn't that the most annoying shit??! Let the podium dude talk. Jokes getting old dude

|

4/29/2018 10:40 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

Cianciarulo should be invited to every presser.

Hell yeah i love that kid. However most of the times McElrath and Plessinger are fun dudes too.

|

4/29/2018 10:56 AM

IWreckALot wrote:

Savatgy is never happy. Dude doesn’t realize that only one person can win on any weekend and he just isn’t doing enough to get the job done. Getting pissed on the podium just makes him come across as miserable.

Savatgy is suffering Stockholm-syndrome from being at the GOAT farm. No one who trains there is enjoying anything.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

4/29/2018 11:15 AM

I don't get why they have a post race press conference. What do we really get out of it?

|

4/29/2018 11:16 AM

Prejump wrote:

Just like when you start a new job. It's all fun and games for a little while until you forget about all the good things and then it's just all the bullshit.

|

4/29/2018 11:18 AM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Those guys are set. Why would you put your life on the line constantly being under extreme pressure when you don't have to? Some people will never understand.

|