Supercross, the unhappiest sport ever ?

Prejump
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 4:39pm
I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always so god damn depressed ?

Seems they have forgotten all the positives of racing a dirt bike for a living. Something that most of us could only of dreamed of.

Cheer up guys could be much worse.
|
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
4/29/2018 2:27am
Cianciarulo should be invited to every presser.
4/29/2018 2:57am
After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do some testing, go to Havasu for a few days, ride the hills and shoot some videos. It's such a grind now it's not even fun. Rv, Bubba, and Dungey couldn't get away from the sport quick enough after they got paid.
Rdubs19
4/29/2018 3:02am
If I had daniel baker wagging his finger and scolding me like I was a 4 year old I'd be depressed too.

The Shop

4/29/2018 3:06am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 3:11am
After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do...
After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do some testing, go to Havasu for a few days, ride the hills and shoot some videos. It's such a grind now it's not even fun. Rv, Bubba, and Dungey couldn't get away from the sport quick enough after they got paid.
X2
The game changed, it’s a 24/7 high risk job, I doubt there is any time left for enjoyment. When we do see the top guys enjoying themselves (eg Roczen) they get flamed for not being dedicated enough.
Sully
4/29/2018 4:20am
Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do with a combination of being tired, and not really wanting to be there.
kb228
4/29/2018 4:25am
After a few hours of riding id be too tired and worn out to even try to put on a happy attitude. Let alone do it in front of media people. All i wanna do is get some food and go to sleep
endo
4/29/2018 6:17am
Order a pizza, maybe take a nap.....doesn't really matter....
endo
4/29/2018 6:18am
Order a pizza, maybe take a nap....doesn't really matter....
Autotech1957
4/29/2018 6:30am
Sully wrote:
Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do...
Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do with a combination of being tired, and not really wanting to be there.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/29/2018 7:08am
After the late 90's and 2000's Emig and Mc era's the sport changed drastically and Carmichael came along. It wasn't race on Saturday or Sunday, do...
These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a lot of work. These guys are riding dirt bikes for a living...Let’s put things back into perspective here..Laughing
4/29/2018 7:11am
Brad460 wrote:
These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a...
These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a lot of work. These guys are riding dirt bikes for a living...Let’s put things back into perspective here..Laughing
Which is why the last few that have been the best couldn’t wait to retire? RC, JS, RV, RD
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/29/2018 7:16am
Which is why the last few that have been the best couldn’t wait to retire? RC, JS, RV, RD
When have any of those guys said they “couldn’t wait” to retire?
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
4/29/2018 7:23am
They love racing. It’s just they hate press conferences. Who wouldn’t.
4/29/2018 7:30am
Good post.. RV said there was no more fun in it at the end of his racing career and sure I heard it from others. The fun in riding dirt bikes returned for many after the Pro racing ended. You do see this in all walks of American life, though.. everyone is so intensely competitive in the US and we take far fewer vacations than the rest of the developed world.. we have lost the ability to enjoy life. You see it in sports, you see it in the big US corporations. the almighty dollar and fame is what drives us. If you are not #1, you are nothing mentality. Sad way to waste a life. Racing out of the back of a van and going for a beer after the race was way more fun.
Prejump
4/29/2018 8:56am
I get it's hard work. Most people work hard one way or another. A lot of non pro athletes work bloody hard being a competitive at a sport & working 50 hour weeks.

It's a shame they cant be a bit happier after the race, just look at the positive impact being happy & fun had on Valentino Rossi's career. People love to see a master at work & having fun doing it.
motoplook
4/29/2018 9:38am
Prejump wrote:
I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always...
I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always so god damn depressed ?

Seems they have forgotten all the positives of racing a dirt bike for a living. Something that most of us could only of dreamed of.

Yeah man, not only at the press conf', but podium speeches, track interview, always down, always depressed, always expressing guilt for not being the winner.
I understand the disappointment for not winning but cheerio bros, you're in front of the public now, bring in a bit of optimism for making the podium in one of the toughest racing series in the world.
agn5009
4/29/2018 9:44am
Sully wrote:
Post event press conferences are like that in most sports. Ever see a NBA post game press conference? Those guys sound miserable. Probably has to do...
That and they ask such stupid questions. Hey Tom Brady, what could you have done differently to win the Super Bowl?
"Um, score more points."
milliebays
4/29/2018 9:47am
just watched the magoo documentary yesterday. he said back then 20th place should be making 100K.

these guys just dont make enough for the shit they have to go through.
IWreckALot
4/29/2018 9:47am
Savatgy is never happy. Dude doesn’t realize that only one person can win on any weekend and he just isn’t doing enough to get the job done. Getting pissed on the podium just makes him come across as miserable.
51xc
4/29/2018 9:48am
couldn't care less about press conferences.
make1go
4/29/2018 10:06am
Brad460 wrote:
These guys are having fun...saying otherwise is ridiculous. Sure it’s a grind, but being the best in the world at anything is going to be a...
Even being a rock star just feels like work at some point......

and these guys are in a fckin meat grinder as well as 'showbiz'.
Watchin half your 'band' get taken out by injuries, with some easily career ending would kinda numb the senses.
4/29/2018 10:10am
"be careful" , wasn't that the most annoying shit??! Let the podium dude talk. Jokes getting old dude
Cortami79
4/29/2018 10:40am
EZZA 95B wrote:
Cianciarulo should be invited to every presser.
Hell yeah i love that kid. However most of the times McElrath and Plessinger are fun dudes too.
hamncheeze
4/29/2018 10:56am
IWreckALot wrote:
Savatgy is never happy. Dude doesn’t realize that only one person can win on any weekend and he just isn’t doing enough to get the job...
Savatgy is never happy. Dude doesn’t realize that only one person can win on any weekend and he just isn’t doing enough to get the job done. Getting pissed on the podium just makes him come across as miserable.
Savatgy is suffering Stockholm-syndrome from being at the GOAT farm. No one who trains there is enjoying anything.
bowser977
4/29/2018 11:15am
I don't get why they have a post race press conference. What do we really get out of it?
4/29/2018 11:16am
Prejump wrote:
I always like to watch the press conference after the races, but one thing I cant get my head around is why the riders are always...

Just like when you start a new job. It's all fun and games for a little while until you forget about all the good things and then it's just all the bullshit.
4/29/2018 11:18am
Those guys are set. Why would you put your life on the line constantly being under extreme pressure when you don't have to? Some people will never understand.
Prejump
4/29/2018 11:35am
bowser977 wrote:
I don't get why they have a post race press conference. What do we really get out of it?
It's the chance to get an insight into the rider thoughts about the race. Also it's a chance to really get to know a rider as most the the podium stuff is thanks the baby Jesus & dunlop tyres.

For me what makes racing relevant is getting to know who's actually racing. If you found a random bunch of riders nobody had ever heard of racing would seem weird, but once you start to understand more about the actual person its more fun.
onfera
Remember Herlings press conference when he's schooled everyone. When he answered why he looked over at Eli, Herlings said " Ah Good Race" sarcastically. Bagget was pissing himself it was a rare moment of fun. I love that banter be nice for the riders to have a laugh every now & again rather then the depressed robots we currently see.

Post a reply to: Supercross, the unhappiest sport ever ?

The Latest