Supercross on TechCrunch: E-Bikes for Junior race

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
6/6/2019 6:50pm
77Moto wrote:
This is a shame because I quite enjoy the kids ripping around brapping. If it is silent, it's actually worse than watching the 4 stroke pro...
This is a shame because I quite enjoy the kids ripping around brapping.
If it is silent, it's actually worse than watching the 4 stroke pro motos.
I cant wait for this.

https://youtu.be/KMPJAi9az70

Dungey always makes it look easy.

https://youtu.be/0B2s6VfH7W8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture

And wait for the end...

77Moto
6/6/2019 9:41pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Dungey always makes it look easy. https://youtu.be/0B2s6VfH7W8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture And wait for the end... View this post on Instagram A post shared...
Dungey always makes it look easy.

https://youtu.be/0B2s6VfH7W8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture

And wait for the end...

That ending. Was not expecting that.
oldblood
6/7/2019 8:17pm
Sorry, I'm not getting on the e-bus. It will suck the thrill and skill out of our sport. It's basically a completely different sport.
Like comparing full contact football to flag football. Lame.
Half of the spirit of mx is the 'machine ', and the wrench wizards that push that aspect of it. It will be like the attack of the electric weed wackers.
There are other bigger climate challenges (third world countries ), leave dirt bikes alone.
Noise? Mufflers on 4 stroked and two strokes could handle that.
Dropbear
6/7/2019 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 10:49pm
I’ve been riding an E-mtb a bit lately and having so much fun on awesome trails that are not available to motorcycles. I can’t wait to get an E-MX bike. Method of propulsion doesn’t bother me, as long as I’m on two wheels.

I’ve realised (duh) that the whole issue with losing tracks is noise.

It’s not erosion, it’s not injuries or any of that. If people aren’t bothered by noise you can ride so many areas. Hell, they don’t even know you’re there. Braap and farts aren’t music to most people’s ears.

Bring em on.

The Shop

oldblood
6/7/2019 10:57pm
Dropbear wrote:
I’ve been riding an E-mtb a bit lately and having so much fun on awesome trails that are not available to motorcycles. I can’t wait to...
I’ve been riding an E-mtb a bit lately and having so much fun on awesome trails that are not available to motorcycles. I can’t wait to get an E-MX bike. Method of propulsion doesn’t bother me, as long as I’m on two wheels.

I’ve realised (duh) that the whole issue with losing tracks is noise.

It’s not erosion, it’s not injuries or any of that. If people aren’t bothered by noise you can ride so many areas. Hell, they don’t even know you’re there. Braap and farts aren’t music to most people’s ears.

Bring em on.
I respect your position. But I don't think much of an effort has been wholeheartedly made to reduce noise.
oldblood
6/7/2019 11:31pm
Here in California most land closures have been erosion or environment related. Just visit any ohv park, many areas are fenced off.
Dropbear
6/7/2019 11:47pm
oldblood wrote:
Here in California most land closures have been erosion or environment related. Just visit any ohv park, many areas are fenced off.
Ok, I could see that in the California desert driving from LA to Vegas. Erosion issues affect off-roaders more than MXers I would think.

Most MX tracks are on land already cleared. There was a track near me that was used for 50 years and 5 years after no use you can’t tell it was ever there. Encroachment of housing and noise complaints closed it.
6/8/2019 1:26am
CivBars wrote:
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs...
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs down, because you're being condescending towards tree huggers and calling children pussies?

If the thumbs down was public it would make more sense to down vote your reply. Unnecessary to anonymously give someone a thumbs down. We get to view the positive thumbs up votes but give people a veil to hide behind the toxic negativity of a thumbs down vote, which only promotes more pollution on this forum. Ironic how the same people who trash our environment without consequence or after thought or any effort to offset their carbon footprint are the same ones who trash our dirt bike and online community.

An E-bike being so quiet is what makes it a game changer. Most people can complain about dust, emissions, two strokes, gas/ oil pollution in streams from motorcycles crossing etc to anyone who will listen and won't get anywhere until they bring up noise. Noise pollution is what will get authorities to crack down.

Lowering Decibels is paramount. E-bikes can be produced and maintained without as much of a reliance on fossil fuels as two stroke and four stroke bikes. Solar for one. I understand that mining for precious metals etc are unavoidable in the production for batteries and other technologies that are incorporated with E-bikes but when looking at the big picture, even if E-bikes are equal in carbon footprints to current Internal Combustion Engine bikes, the noise factor alone should be enough to get motorcycle enthusiasts to be more open minded about E-bikes. E-bikes will still need garage maintenance. It will just be different. (See; Valves, when four strokes made their way in) If we can get over not having gears, a clutch, and a loud motor noise.

For example, Josh Hill is on both ends of the spectrum with his Alta E-bike and also his Yamaha 450 with the straight pipe made for the snow bike tracks and riding in altitude.
peltier626 wrote:
Too much logic for this forum.
CivBars wrote:
I don't think so :) Maybe too much logic for some who are unwilling to see thing's from a different perspective than they are accustom. It's...
I don't think so Smile Maybe too much logic for some who are unwilling to see thing's from a different perspective than they are accustom. It's just unfortunate that the most of the great minds keep quiet anymore. The scrutiny of the minority who have a need to make themselves heard tends to overshadow the brilliant ideas that this platform has the ability to host.

Change is inevitable. We should all embrace it. Especially if it's for almost everyone's best interest. Survival of the fittest is commonly misunderstood as being bigger, faster, stronger, smarter etc, but survival of the FITTEST should be understood as FITTING IN. Those who can adapt to changing circumstances will thrive.
Nice! Survival of the fittest (toughest) is over. Humanity now faces a bottle neck. Greed is no longer good. We now need to move to survival of the smartest.
jtiger12
6/8/2019 2:09am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 2:10am
TriRacer27 wrote:
Well, this is cool to see. The KTM Junior SX race will be switching to electric. Not quite a full on e-bike class, but a start...
Well, this is cool to see.

The KTM Junior SX race will be switching to electric. Not quite a full on e-bike class, but a start.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/05/supercross-to-debut-first-ev-class-and-tap-startups-to-go-digital/
Happy somebody else posted it. I saw this 2 days ago and didn't post to avoid getting flamed for double posting or not using the search feature
77Moto
6/8/2019 11:03am
4 strokes and dust is what gets the most complaints. Before 4 strokes, most cops got called because of dust. People don't want their freshly washed car covered. Track closures went up when 4 strokes became more popular. Riding areas got shut down more.

4 strokes are the equivalent of a pack of Harleys riding up and down your street. It is just aggravates people.
Especially floating the valves on the rev limiter.
Also, Crotch rockets are loud as hell, but far less annoying than a noisy harley. Rarely do people complain about crotch rockets, but harleys piss people off.
byke
6/8/2019 11:16am
Electric makes so much sense for kids bikes. They don't make much power, so the motors/controllers/batteries aren't very expensive and swappable packs would be easy peasy. It all gets much harder at the 250/450 level and the only bike that was pretty much there, didn't have a functional business model. So, dear rednecks, don't be scurred, electric kids bikes isn't incrementalism that will eventually force you own a bike you don't want, same has how the existence of gays, minorities and women isn't going to turn you into a gay minority woman.
JM485
6/8/2019 11:19am
I can’t wait until all the guys saying E Bikes will take the skill out of moto are on one and still suck just as bad as they do on their gas bikesLaughing Hate to break it to you, but good riders are good riders and crap riders are crap riders, no bike on earth is going to magically make everyone the same speed or give them the ability to time things on a track correctly.
MudPup545
6/8/2019 12:14pm
JM485 wrote:
I can’t wait until all the guys saying E Bikes will take the skill out of moto are on one and still suck just as bad...
I can’t wait until all the guys saying E Bikes will take the skill out of moto are on one and still suck just as bad as they do on their gas bikesLaughing Hate to break it to you, but good riders are good riders and crap riders are crap riders, no bike on earth is going to magically make everyone the same speed or give them the ability to time things on a track correctly.
As a crap rider, I'd have to agree.
77Moto
6/8/2019 12:21pm
oldblood wrote:
Sorry, I'm not getting on the e-bus. It will suck the thrill and skill out of our sport. It's basically a completely different sport. Like comparing...
Sorry, I'm not getting on the e-bus. It will suck the thrill and skill out of our sport. It's basically a completely different sport.
Half of the spirit of mx is the 'machine ', and the wrench wizards that push that aspect of it. It will be like the attack of the electric weed wackers.
There are other bigger climate challenges (third world countries ), leave dirt bikes alone.
Exactly. 2 strokes can be pretty quiet just with a 4 stroke sized OEM muffler.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
6/8/2019 3:38pm
oldblood wrote:
Sorry, I'm not getting on the e-bus. It will suck the thrill and skill out of our sport. It's basically a completely different sport. Like comparing...
77Moto wrote:
I really Wish they would have tried more of this to quiet them down , i wish they still would
Imo The Bikes are now too fast any way so they could fix 2 problems at once just by Reducing the decibel requirements.
I think a 450 with Toyota Corolla muffler would still have more power than i need Smile
oldblood
6/8/2019 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 3:54pm
oldblood wrote:
77Moto wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
I really Wish they would have tried more of this to quiet them down , i wish they still would Imo The Bikes are now too...
I really Wish they would have tried more of this to quiet them down , i wish they still would
Imo The Bikes are now too fast any way so they could fix 2 problems at once just by Reducing the decibel requirements.
I think a 450 with Toyota Corolla muffler would still have more power than i need Smile
If you look at generators, the basic el cheapo construction generator is very loud (and you know this if camping at a race next to someone who has one running all night long), and a quality semi insulated and muffled generator. Big difference.
Also, some bodywork, like street bikes would help, and provide more advertising potential.
2F4A
6/8/2019 4:25pm
Fine for the 4 year olds and daddy's who want to ride everywhere. For racing it sucks big time. Look at the Formula E, it's even more boring then Formula 1 and that tells us a lot.
Dropbear
6/8/2019 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 6:14pm
2F4A wrote:
Fine for the 4 year olds and daddy's who want to ride everywhere. For racing it sucks big time. Look at the Formula E, it's even...
Fine for the 4 year olds and daddy's who want to ride everywhere. For racing it sucks big time. Look at the Formula E, it's even more boring then Formula 1 and that tells us a lot.
Yeah, but to me all 4 wheel road racing is boring.

I like watching World Cup Downhill MTB and no engine noise there. Just a lot of cowbells and horns lol.

It’s about the athleticism and skills, and you’ll still get that in MX.
6/8/2019 7:31pm
CivBars wrote:
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs...
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs down, because you're being condescending towards tree huggers and calling children pussies?

If the thumbs down was public it would make more sense to down vote your reply. Unnecessary to anonymously give someone a thumbs down. We get to view the positive thumbs up votes but give people a veil to hide behind the toxic negativity of a thumbs down vote, which only promotes more pollution on this forum. Ironic how the same people who trash our environment without consequence or after thought or any effort to offset their carbon footprint are the same ones who trash our dirt bike and online community.

An E-bike being so quiet is what makes it a game changer. Most people can complain about dust, emissions, two strokes, gas/ oil pollution in streams from motorcycles crossing etc to anyone who will listen and won't get anywhere until they bring up noise. Noise pollution is what will get authorities to crack down.

Lowering Decibels is paramount. E-bikes can be produced and maintained without as much of a reliance on fossil fuels as two stroke and four stroke bikes. Solar for one. I understand that mining for precious metals etc are unavoidable in the production for batteries and other technologies that are incorporated with E-bikes but when looking at the big picture, even if E-bikes are equal in carbon footprints to current Internal Combustion Engine bikes, the noise factor alone should be enough to get motorcycle enthusiasts to be more open minded about E-bikes. E-bikes will still need garage maintenance. It will just be different. (See; Valves, when four strokes made their way in) If we can get over not having gears, a clutch, and a loud motor noise.

For example, Josh Hill is on both ends of the spectrum with his Alta E-bike and also his Yamaha 450 with the straight pipe made for the snow bike tracks and riding in altitude.
You’re making too much sense and using too high of intellect for the average Vital poster.
mikec265
6/8/2019 8:28pm
I rode my Alta until 10 pm last night near houses with a battery powered head light on my helmet. I didn't have time during the day. Not one complaint. Can you do that with a gas bike? They all have their place. I'm not a tree hugger. I'm a redneck with enough brains to realize gas and electric bikes both kick ass.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
6/8/2019 8:55pm
I personally hate the sound of 50's so I am on board if they go electric.
CivBars
6/8/2019 9:58pm
CivBars wrote:

You’re making too much sense and using too high of intellect for the average Vital poster.
lol Maybe the average poster, but the average reader is another story. So many people come through Vital and creep the forum and never provide their opinions. They never even sign up to post anything and don't see any reason to, which is unfortunate because our sport could really use more ideas from people teeming with knowledge and this is a great way to share your input and make an impact in a way that could help someone anywhere from just one weekend warrior learning how to do something as simple as tightening their spokes to the entire community seeing something from a different perspective that could help pave the way for who knows what for Motocross and it's future!
6/8/2019 11:19pm
So many ignorant people hate on Electric bikes.. so I’ll dumb it down;
Kids are the future of the sport.. if more kids can ride quiet bikes in their backyard, more people ride, our sport expands..
I grew up with a yard big enough to ride but never could because my neighbours complained every time I took my KX60 for a quick spin. My brother lost interest in the hour long drive to the track and eventually lost interest in dirt bikes in favour of street bikes..
E-bikes are good for the progression of our sport!
77Moto
6/9/2019 7:52am
How come Kart racing doesn't have this problem? Most of the classes are basically spec 2 stroke classes except the shifter Kart classes. Yet for some reason, they don't have this problem.

6/9/2019 8:19am
KMC440 wrote:
The real bullshit is all tge 50 dad's that'll never know the pain of setting up clutches, tearing down top ends, jetting and jetting and re-jetting...
The real bullshit is all tge 50 dad's that'll never know the pain of setting up clutches, tearing down top ends, jetting and jetting and re-jetting ... really KTM wtf ? Just a plug and play 50 the kids will ride and ride and ride !?!?
What on God's green earth were you thinking...
Whistling
Back on topic...

This is exactly it for me. I've read/seen the headaches from the KTM 50s and as a Dad of 2 toddler boys on PWs currently, I want absolutely zero part of that shit show.

Just tell me where the fvck these bikes are already!
loftyair
6/9/2019 8:31am
Another view...I'd be riding right now around the property if I had an Alta, but this bike I do have makes me pack it, drive, and pay. Cant do it today...
CivBars
6/9/2019 9:29am
77Moto wrote:
How come Kart racing doesn't have this problem? Most of the classes are basically spec 2 stroke classes except the shifter Kart classes. Yet for some...
How come Kart racing doesn't have this problem? Most of the classes are basically spec 2 stroke classes except the shifter Kart classes. Yet for some reason, they don't have this problem.

Karts are pretty much exclusively driven on tracks. Not on their own property with neighbors within earshot (which can be watered to control dust) or on nearby off road trails with residents that grow tired of hearing bikes/ quads/ side x sides/ trophy trucks riding all the time. I know that I can hear someone from inside our house coming a ways away. It doesn't bother us but I can only imagine how people who don't ride are annoyed by the constant noise and dust. It's legal so there's not much anyone can do about it but with it being so hot here, a lot of people ride after the sun goes down and that includes during the week at all hours of the night, then others are out as early as 5 or 6 in the morning on the weekends. Not everyone is considerate in terms of spark arrestors/ keeping decibels down or thinking about spreading out their route to avoid creating a problem area that has a concentrated amount of noise and dust.
Dropbear
6/9/2019 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 2:41pm
Motocross will be like Cyclocross, only better. Check out a video from the world championships.

Beer drinking fans going nuts. Wisecracks going both ways.

I was at a CX National last weekend and the race changed leaders every lap between 5 guys.

Fantastic to watch. Crowds are huge and races usually in the city area. Can you imagine a WC track set up in the parklands? I know, I’m dreaming.
CivBars
6/10/2019 4:12pm
Dropbear wrote:
Motocross will be like Cyclocross, only better. Check out a video from the world championships. Beer drinking fans going nuts. Wisecracks going both ways. I was...
Motocross will be like Cyclocross, only better. Check out a video from the world championships.

I was at a CX National last weekend and the race changed leaders every lap between 5 guys.

Fantastic to watch. Crowds are huge and races usually in the city area. Can you imagine a WC track set up in the parklands? I know, I’m dreaming.
The biggest difference would be MX riders not having to carry their bikes I would hope! lol
oldblood
6/10/2019 6:10pm
Dropbear wrote:
Motocross will be like Cyclocross, only better. Check out a video from the world championships. Beer drinking fans going nuts. Wisecracks going both ways. I was...

What you are describing is not 'motocross', it's something else. It may become a similar replacement. But it is not motocross.
Some of you complaining about wrenching on the bikes, I don't get it. That's what makes it a family sport. A family team effort. That's what our sport is.
Different leadership in California would help. I know I'm wasting my time on this, after all, all roads lead to Rome.

Post a reply to: Supercross on TechCrunch: E-Bikes for Junior race

The Latest