Supercross on TechCrunch: E-Bikes for Junior race

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
Edited Date/Time 6/10/2019 6:31pm
Well, this is cool to see.

The KTM Junior SX race will be switching to electric. Not quite a full on e-bike class, but a start.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/05/supercross-to-debut-first-ev-class-and-tap-startups-to-go-digital/
|
Motodave15
6/5/2019 8:01am
Hot damn, you beat me to it by 9 mins lol.. yeah definitely pretty interesting
motox331
6/5/2019 8:06am
I think E bikes, especially for the smaller kids bikes is awesome. Being a parent and allowing your kid to ride around in the back yard without bugging the neighbors seems like a win win. Only a matter of time before E bikes take over.
mikec265
6/5/2019 8:08am
I'm waiting for these to become available. Considering how fast kids grow, yesterday would have been nice.
kage173
6/5/2019 8:20am
This might actually convince me to buy a brand new bike

The Shop

4DAIVIPAI2K5
6/5/2019 10:15am
Really hope the boy gets selected next season. He loved supercross futures, and his buddies have done Anaheim and Indy, they said it was amazing. Guess we will have to see if the local KTM dealer has a demo electric when they come out to try and get used to the feel if he is selected.
Arkmx
6/5/2019 10:20am
Damn... no more 50cc Buuurap noise! Guess the spectators can bring Kazoos and toot them when the 50's are on the track..!

Dirt bikes with no "Motorcycle" noise is just not right...

CivBars
6/5/2019 10:47am
Awesome! Now can we get some broadcast coverage of the little ones racing? Think of all of the Pros who have gone through the KTM JR SX program that we could've seen on TV when they were that young..
crt32
6/5/2019 11:54am
I'm sorry but how do Electric vehicles benefit anyone in the long run? The whole idea that electric is "cleaner" than fossil fuels is ridiculous. Just plug into the wall and wollah magic. Where did that electricity come from? How was the battery manufactured? Was there any mining involved to extract the elements in the battery? Will each JR bike require a generator to plug into between practices and motos? Is that generator gas powered?

"Combining EVs and youth could roll up into a broader strategy of established companies and e-moto startups to revive interest in motorcycles to a new generation. The U.S. motorcycle industry has been in pretty bad shape since the recession."

People aren't riding because of the lack of electric options, the cost associated with riding has skyrocketed, and bikes are becoming to complex for the average mechanic. And don't say, "electric will be maintenance free."

Moving to electric is probably going to be the nail in the coffin for the sport of motocross/supercross. It's a different sport; that's like saying supercross races will now be riding engine free bikes that have pedals...
mikec265
6/5/2019 12:03pm
crt32 wrote:
I'm sorry but how do Electric vehicles benefit anyone in the long run? The whole idea that electric is "cleaner" than fossil fuels is ridiculous. Just...
I'm sorry but how do Electric vehicles benefit anyone in the long run? The whole idea that electric is "cleaner" than fossil fuels is ridiculous. Just plug into the wall and wollah magic. Where did that electricity come from? How was the battery manufactured? Was there any mining involved to extract the elements in the battery? Will each JR bike require a generator to plug into between practices and motos? Is that generator gas powered?

"Combining EVs and youth could roll up into a broader strategy of established companies and e-moto startups to revive interest in motorcycles to a new generation. The U.S. motorcycle industry has been in pretty bad shape since the recession."

People aren't riding because of the lack of electric options, the cost associated with riding has skyrocketed, and bikes are becoming to complex for the average mechanic. And don't say, "electric will be maintenance free."

Moving to electric is probably going to be the nail in the coffin for the sport of motocross/supercross. It's a different sport; that's like saying supercross races will now be riding engine free bikes that have pedals...
What I see is a very low maintenance bike for a busy Dad. My neighbors haven't bitched about any noise from my Alta. As long as I use some brains and water our track at home when needed there's no issues. Electric is the best thing for me and my kids for the sake of time. More time riding because of less time wrenching.
crt32
6/5/2019 12:14pm
In my opinion, electric bikes take out some of the skill level required. And I bet you will see more injuries at a local level when more people are racing electric. Back in the day on a 125 two-stroke, you had to hit a corner with speed and be in the right gear and use the clutch to get over a double right out of the corner. When 4 strokes came along, you just had to be in 2nd or 3rd gear and gas it. Now with electric bikes you just twist the throttle.

Ken Roczen has a different riding style because he rides in a higher gear vs a Barcia. This gives him an advantage or disadvantage depending on the track conditions. Now everyone will be riding in the entire track in the same gear.

Sure, I can see the benefit of having a bike that's noise free for neighborhood riding, but the same people complaining about noise are now going to complain about rubber tires, dust, endangering children on and on and on.

And I get being annoyed with changing oil, premix, and filters. But looking back the time I spent in the garage working on bikes with my dad are some of my best memories. It makes you appreciate things more when it requires effort and brain power and feels good when you understand how something works. And most tracks or riding areas do not have electric hookups, so you will be required to bring some type of generator, which requires maintenance.
peltier626
6/5/2019 12:20pm
Awesome news, options is a positive. E won't kill sx,mx or the ICE, what it will do is give you an option.
mikec265
6/5/2019 12:28pm
crt32 wrote:
In my opinion, electric bikes take out some of the skill level required. And I bet you will see more injuries at a local level when...
In my opinion, electric bikes take out some of the skill level required. And I bet you will see more injuries at a local level when more people are racing electric. Back in the day on a 125 two-stroke, you had to hit a corner with speed and be in the right gear and use the clutch to get over a double right out of the corner. When 4 strokes came along, you just had to be in 2nd or 3rd gear and gas it. Now with electric bikes you just twist the throttle.

Ken Roczen has a different riding style because he rides in a higher gear vs a Barcia. This gives him an advantage or disadvantage depending on the track conditions. Now everyone will be riding in the entire track in the same gear.

Sure, I can see the benefit of having a bike that's noise free for neighborhood riding, but the same people complaining about noise are now going to complain about rubber tires, dust, endangering children on and on and on.

And I get being annoyed with changing oil, premix, and filters. But looking back the time I spent in the garage working on bikes with my dad are some of my best memories. It makes you appreciate things more when it requires effort and brain power and feels good when you understand how something works. And most tracks or riding areas do not have electric hookups, so you will be required to bring some type of generator, which requires maintenance.
Here, take 2 of these. I've used them before myself.
It'll be ok. I promise.
Tryhard
6/5/2019 12:46pm
crt32 wrote:
I'm sorry but how do Electric vehicles benefit anyone in the long run? The whole idea that electric is "cleaner" than fossil fuels is ridiculous. Just...

Thank you ..
Brent
6/5/2019 12:51pm
mikec265 wrote:
I'm waiting for these to become available. Considering how fast kids grow, yesterday would have been nice.
screw the kids, I want one for ME...
motox331
6/5/2019 1:07pm
crt32 wrote:

Where do you think your fuel comes from? The fuel pump magically makes fuel? It takes the same amount of mining and resources to make an electric vehicle as it does a ICE powered one. Powering said vehicles, the electric vehicle can be powered via renewable resources or nuclear energy. The grid will need to be updated but could be much more carbon neutral. ICE powered vehicles will always need oil to be extracted from the earth and refined into fuel. The refining process is much worse for the environment than a coal power plant. As an engineer working for a heavy equipment OEM, let me tell you EV is the future whether you like it or not. Best learn the facts now.
crt32
6/5/2019 1:54pm
crt32 wrote:

motox331 wrote:
Where do you think your fuel comes from? The fuel pump magically makes fuel? It takes the same amount of mining and resources to make an...
Where do you think your fuel comes from? The fuel pump magically makes fuel? It takes the same amount of mining and resources to make an electric vehicle as it does a ICE powered one. Powering said vehicles, the electric vehicle can be powered via renewable resources or nuclear energy. The grid will need to be updated but could be much more carbon neutral. ICE powered vehicles will always need oil to be extracted from the earth and refined into fuel. The refining process is much worse for the environment than a coal power plant. As an engineer working for a heavy equipment OEM, let me tell you EV is the future whether you like it or not. Best learn the facts now.
EVs are "the future" thanks to government intervention; not free-market....but that's another argument for another day.

I don't want to get off on a tangent with grid capabilities, renewables, etc.; but I think EVs will kill the current sport of MOTOcross/supercross. It will have to turn into a different sport completely. Some are excited for that day and new opportunities, I personally am sad to see the original sport with motors disappear. And I also bet FMF who outfitted the 50 bikes with slick pipes is sad to see this move as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/5/2019 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2019 1:59pm
I am laughing my ass off at all the 4-stroke whiners who are/will be saying, "Electric bikes are unfair! They take all the skill out of riding! They're only better because of the rules!" Sound familiar? Take your medicine, peeps.
loftyair
6/5/2019 2:16pm
Arkmx wrote:
Damn... no more 50cc Buuurap noise! Guess the spectators can bring Kazoos and toot them when the 50's are on the track..! Dirt bikes with no...
Damn... no more 50cc Buuurap noise! Guess the spectators can bring Kazoos and toot them when the 50's are on the track..!

Dirt bikes with no "Motorcycle" noise is just not right...

You must not be up to date. They don't go ring-ding anymore, they actually sound like a huge fart.
ATHEIST
Fantasy
990th
6/6/2019 6:37am
turning kids into tree hugging pussies
CivBars
6/6/2019 11:53am
ATHEIST wrote:
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs down, because you're being condescending towards tree huggers and calling children pussies?

If the thumbs down was public it would make more sense to down vote your reply. Unnecessary to anonymously give someone a thumbs down. We get to view the positive thumbs up votes but give people a veil to hide behind the toxic negativity of a thumbs down vote, which only promotes more pollution on this forum. Ironic how the same people who trash our environment without consequence or after thought or any effort to offset their carbon footprint are the same ones who trash our dirt bike and online community.

An E-bike being so quiet is what makes it a game changer. Most people can complain about dust, emissions, two strokes, gas/ oil pollution in streams from motorcycles crossing etc to anyone who will listen and won't get anywhere until they bring up noise. Noise pollution is what will get authorities to crack down.

Lowering Decibels is paramount. E-bikes can be produced and maintained without as much of a reliance on fossil fuels as two stroke and four stroke bikes. Solar for one. I understand that mining for precious metals etc are unavoidable in the production for batteries and other technologies that are incorporated with E-bikes but when looking at the big picture, even if E-bikes are equal in carbon footprints to current Internal Combustion Engine bikes, the noise factor alone should be enough to get motorcycle enthusiasts to be more open minded about E-bikes. E-bikes will still need garage maintenance. It will just be different. (See; Valves, when four strokes made their way in) If we can get over not having gears, a clutch, and a loud motor noise.

For example, Josh Hill is on both ends of the spectrum with his Alta E-bike and also his Yamaha 450 with the straight pipe made for the snow bike tracks and riding in altitude.
Calihusky
6/6/2019 12:23pm
In the future Pro Circuit will literally be hopping up electrical circuits. Mitch must have already known how this would turn out!
peltier626
6/6/2019 12:34pm
ATHEIST wrote:
CivBars wrote:
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs...
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs down, because you're being condescending towards tree huggers and calling children pussies?

If the thumbs down was public it would make more sense to down vote your reply. Unnecessary to anonymously give someone a thumbs down. We get to view the positive thumbs up votes but give people a veil to hide behind the toxic negativity of a thumbs down vote, which only promotes more pollution on this forum. Ironic how the same people who trash our environment without consequence or after thought or any effort to offset their carbon footprint are the same ones who trash our dirt bike and online community.

An E-bike being so quiet is what makes it a game changer. Most people can complain about dust, emissions, two strokes, gas/ oil pollution in streams from motorcycles crossing etc to anyone who will listen and won't get anywhere until they bring up noise. Noise pollution is what will get authorities to crack down.

Lowering Decibels is paramount. E-bikes can be produced and maintained without as much of a reliance on fossil fuels as two stroke and four stroke bikes. Solar for one. I understand that mining for precious metals etc are unavoidable in the production for batteries and other technologies that are incorporated with E-bikes but when looking at the big picture, even if E-bikes are equal in carbon footprints to current Internal Combustion Engine bikes, the noise factor alone should be enough to get motorcycle enthusiasts to be more open minded about E-bikes. E-bikes will still need garage maintenance. It will just be different. (See; Valves, when four strokes made their way in) If we can get over not having gears, a clutch, and a loud motor noise.

For example, Josh Hill is on both ends of the spectrum with his Alta E-bike and also his Yamaha 450 with the straight pipe made for the snow bike tracks and riding in altitude.
Too much logic for this forum.
KMC440
6/6/2019 12:45pm
The real bullshit is all tge 50 dad's that'll never know the pain of setting up clutches, tearing down top ends, jetting and jetting and re-jetting ... really KTM wtf ? Just a plug and play 50 the kids will ride and ride and ride !?!?
What on God's green earth were you thinking...
Whistling
CivBars
6/6/2019 1:11pm
ATHEIST wrote:
CivBars wrote:
I'm not sure if I should give this a thumbs up, because the world needs more tree huggers or if I should give this a thumbs...

peltier626 wrote:
Too much logic for this forum.
I don't think so Smile Maybe too much logic for some who are unwilling to see thing's from a different perspective than they are accustom. It's just unfortunate that the most of the great minds keep quiet anymore. The scrutiny of the minority who have a need to make themselves heard tends to overshadow the brilliant ideas that this platform has the ability to host.

Change is inevitable. We should all embrace it. Especially if it's for almost everyone's best interest. Survival of the fittest is commonly misunderstood as being bigger, faster, stronger, smarter etc, but survival of the FITTEST should be understood as FITTING IN. Those who can adapt to changing circumstances will thrive.
mxtech1
6/6/2019 5:17pm
EVs are here today, not the future.

Auto and off-highway manufacturers are putting together really good electo-mechanical packages. There has been huge advancements on the software and programming side, with more linear increases in energy density. Motorcycle technology lags auto and off-highway by many years. The package KTM engineered looks good and will do the job well I'm sure, but it's relatively primitive compared to the level of technology that is currently available in other industries.

77Moto
6/6/2019 6:33pm
This is a shame because I quite enjoy the kids ripping around brapping.
If it is silent, it's actually worse than watching the 4 stroke pro motos.
I cant wait for this.

https://youtu.be/KMPJAi9az70

Post a reply to: Supercross on TechCrunch: E-Bikes for Junior race

The Latest