Supercross Only

davistld01
Just a little discussion here...if that's possible.

More than just a few riders in the past, and some even now are contracting for sponsored rides for "Supercross Only". Why? What would be some real advantages to not racing the entire season, like the majority of riders do?
|
Fantasy
2106th
10/29/2020 11:37am
Money, SX draws a lot more in revenue.
zehn
10/29/2020 11:47am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 11:48am
The importance of rest can't really be overstated, especially when it comes to riders interested in prolonging their careers
davistld01
10/29/2020 12:09pm
zehn wrote:
The importance of rest can't really be overstated, especially when it comes to riders interested in prolonging their careers
I understand that...but if that were the case, why aren't more riders doing SX Only? The vast majority are not.
mx317
10/29/2020 12:11pm
zehn wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
I understand that...but if that were the case, why aren't more riders doing SX Only? The vast majority are not.
I know it's a job to some, but there are still some that love to race! Line that mofo up indoors and outdoors and hammer down.

The Shop

Dimblewambie
10/29/2020 12:14pm
I think the dollar to effort ratio is far better for SX than MX, why only a handful of riders have chosen to exploit that over the years is beyond me. I think a lot of it has to do with the majority of the “factory rides” are reliant on them racing both series.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/29/2020 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 12:25pm
Because it doesn't work. MC made it work for a few years, Stewart's career was never the same after he stopped doing outdoors. Reed the same although age had more to with that. Gotta keep grinding if you want to be in top.
mirramaxx
10/29/2020 12:29pm
If you have a factory ride, it's probably in the contract to do both.
JB10 has done SX only with HRC (2 times now?)
Reed has done it as well as MC.

In a nut shell sponsor dollars probably pay better for both over just SX only.
Shoot if a rider can make it doing SX only, why not !!
FerCzD
10/29/2020 12:38pm
We will see how that ends up working for KR94 (if he is even racing). If he isn't finishing in the top 3 race after race, skipping outdoors proves that sets you back.
AngryBear
10/29/2020 2:01pm
mirramaxx wrote:
If you have a factory ride, it's probably in the contract to do both. JB10 has done SX only with HRC (2 times now?) Reed has...

JB10 also stayed very, very active in off season with overseas SX races.
chasetwo79
10/29/2020 3:01pm
mirramaxx wrote:
If you have a factory ride, it's probably in the contract to do both. JB10 has done SX only with HRC (2 times now?) Reed has...

AngryBear wrote:
JB10 also stayed very, very active in off season with overseas SX races.
This - he’s been getting paid more to race the Australian SX and other overseas races. His off season is the summer because it’s a job to him and making the most money possible before he retires is probably his goal at this point.
davistld01
10/29/2020 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 3:53pm
I get it if the rider was a sure top-five kind of guy...because he would make so much money indoors with an occasional podium, and add some Euro-races to that and be set for the year...

...but how can a guy like Malcolm Stewart do it and be cool financially? I'm a huge Stewart fanboy, but lets face it...Mookie ain't Bubba. I would think that Malcolm is losing a lot of money by doing indoors only. Isn't he the only rider on Star that has that kind of hookup?
TeamGreen
10/29/2020 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 5:03pm
zehn wrote:
When you add injuries and/or "nagging old injuries"...well...as you've said...

These things CAN NOT BE OVERSTATED. Hell, in all honesty...this can't be truly understood by anyone that's not living the life: The Gym, The Track, The Bike (bicycle), The Diet, The Stretching/sometimes things like yoga..and then...off to bed...wake up in the morn and...

REPEAT!!!

Now, add to that ...an injury or a digestive or immuno disorder...take Kenny for instance...a guy that's had ALL of those issues nagging at him; but, he's still "In It".

I'm not suggesting that I get it and someone-else doesn't. Oh, hellll no. I'm saying we can imagine...we can cheer them on...we can sympathize...but...

Their life is soooooo "dedicated" and I don't think we "get it".

Today I saw Jason Anderson scars from all his wrist surgeries (One very recently to remove a bunch of hardware). DAMN it looks like Frankenstein!!! All the while..."Dude! It feels the best it's felt IN YEARS!"...said with his Jason Anderson "forever a little kid" smile. It made me cringe. In a very ironic way...it doesn't look much different than KR's. Yet, like Kenny...he's still in it...doing the routine and ubber focused on 2021 SX.

So, when ya look at all they go thru...and then ya see an opportuntiy to train/race "only" 8-9 months of the year? Well, Hell Yes! An SX "only" deal looks kinda sweet.

Note: If a racer is racing SX only, they're still looking at 8-9 months of training/set-up & test/practice and the race season. All that is based on a normal year where a racer has an opportuntiy to race the MEC in late October and then race the SX season thru early May. That rider could hit the bricks in September and race thru the end of SX. That's 9 months.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/29/2020 4:25pm
davistld01 wrote:
I get it if the rider was a sure top-five kind of guy...because he would make so much money indoors with an occasional podium, and add...
I get it if the rider was a sure top-five kind of guy...because he would make so much money indoors with an occasional podium, and add some Euro-races to that and be set for the year...

...but how can a guy like Malcolm Stewart do it and be cool financially? I'm a huge Stewart fanboy, but lets face it...Mookie ain't Bubba. I would think that Malcolm is losing a lot of money by doing indoors only. Isn't he the only rider on Star that has that kind of hookup?
How much money do you need to live? Malcolm ain’t killing this year at all with a fill in ride, 2-3k a week maybe. He made good money last year but shit a little on the hand that fed him.
kb228
10/29/2020 4:27pm
What if its as simple as sponsors saying hey, we dont have enough to pay you for both, but if you want a ride you can do sx only since that draws more than outdoors?

Star has 3 450 guys. Thats unheard of. Maybe they had enough budget left for 2 full time guys and an sx only deal for mookie.

These sx only guys arent struggling racing 1/2 the year. They have multiple houses in Cali and wherever else. Im being super conservative here but If they only made $80,000/year theyd be well off in most places like florida or the carolinas.

Say after all sponsor deals and team salary and a couple bonuses you make 200k in a season but live in the carolinas or florida. Do you really care about racing mx too? You can live decently for that salary. By the end of your career theres not much reason you cant have other businesses or incomes from real estate or other investments. You could even work as a test rider for years after retirement.
BS12
10/29/2020 5:34pm
UpTiTe wrote:
How much money do you need to live? Malcolm ain’t killing this year at all with a fill in ride, 2-3k a week maybe. He made...
How much money do you need to live? Malcolm ain’t killing this year at all with a fill in ride, 2-3k a week maybe. He made good money last year but shit a little on the hand that fed him.
Fill in?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/29/2020 5:45pm
UpTiTe wrote:
How much money do you need to live? Malcolm ain’t killing this year at all with a fill in ride, 2-3k a week maybe. He made...
BS12 wrote:
Fill in?
Yes, Plessinger will miss supercross.
AJ565
10/29/2020 5:53pm
kb228 wrote:
What if its as simple as sponsors saying hey, we dont have enough to pay you for both, but if you want a ride you can...
What if its as simple as sponsors saying hey, we dont have enough to pay you for both, but if you want a ride you can do sx only since that draws more than outdoors?

Star has 3 450 guys. Thats unheard of. Maybe they had enough budget left for 2 full time guys and an sx only deal for mookie.

These sx only guys arent struggling racing 1/2 the year. They have multiple houses in Cali and wherever else. Im being super conservative here but If they only made $80,000/year theyd be well off in most places like florida or the carolinas.

Say after all sponsor deals and team salary and a couple bonuses you make 200k in a season but live in the carolinas or florida. Do you really care about racing mx too? You can live decently for that salary. By the end of your career theres not much reason you cant have other businesses or incomes from real estate or other investments. You could even work as a test rider for years after retirement.
Husky fields 3 full time 450 bikes?
10/29/2020 5:54pm
It was interesting hearing RC say that he is more comfortable riding SX than an outdoor track with how fast the bikes are now..
I’m sure the appeal is there for the riders to only have half the schedule, especially if they don’t love the grind.
Dimblewambie
10/29/2020 5:55pm
UpTiTe wrote:
BS12 wrote:
Fill in?
UpTiTe wrote:
Fuck.
numbers
10/30/2020 7:36pm
UpTiTe wrote:
BS12 wrote:
Fill in?
UpTiTe wrote:
Maybe the blue pig will turn things around.
USA
Fantasy
428th
10/30/2020 7:52pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Did you mention that in your interview with Steve Matthes recently? I didn't hear it. How sure are you that Plessinger will miss Supercross?

Post a reply to: Supercross Only

The Latest