Supercross Monster Energy Cup and RV

GarySemics
10/16/2013 6:28am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 9:53pm
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto that he chose to race it instead of The Motocross of Nations. In case you don't know why, he is claiming it's because he needed to get ankle surgery right after the Nationals instead of waiting until after the Motocross of Nations. This way he would have more time to be healed up 100% before the 2014 Supercross opener at Anaheim. Who knows for sure, only RV. Most people think it's because Monster is offering 1,000,000.00 (yes that's one million dollars) for the rider who can win all 3 motos, which RV did in 2011. But again, I'm sure most of you already know that. Watch it live on Saturday Oct 19th at 9:00 PM EST on the Fox Sports 2 network. It's going to be interesting to see if Ryan's choices will pay off. I think they will as far as the money. But I would have rather had the US win the MXoN. What do you think?

Learn The 55 Absolute Motocross Techniques these top riders use at: www.motocrossdvds.com
|
ga_pike
10/16/2013 6:40am
musmanni
10/16/2013 6:54am
For selfish reasons I would rather have had the US win the Motocross de Nations.

Some sports have become just about the money. I watch players in the soccer world cup games cry like babies when losing. They break down with emotion when winning. Money is not on their mind at all. I wish all sports were like that.
10/16/2013 7:02am
haha...caroli iz gonna win all 3 motos.....

The Shop

davistld01
10/16/2013 7:34am
A million dollars is a million dollars, I don't care who you are. I believe RV was full of crap when he said the surgery was being done so he'd be ready for A1. It was so he'd be ready for the MEC.

I personally think the USA would have won at MXON had Villopoto chosen loyalty to his country over personal greed...but we'll never know now. One thing for sure, RD, JB & ET all chose patriotism...and one of them may spoil RV's hat trick payday...and I won't be sorry to see it.
tp4
10/16/2013 7:45am
money is the root of all evil..for sure the out come would have been differant.
I came to your place once across from lacosta...we had a great out door track in the lagoon.. I worked @ alba honda...always lved your style.
DavidR
10/16/2013 7:46am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2013 7:54am
GarySemics wrote:
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto...
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto that he chose to race it instead of The Motocross of Nations. In case you don't know why, he is claiming it's because he needed to get ankle surgery right after the Nationals instead of waiting until after the Motocross of Nations. This way he would have more time to be healed up 100% before the 2014 Supercross opener at Anaheim. Who knows for sure, only RV. Most people think it's because Monster is offering 1,000,000.00 (yes that's one million dollars) for the rider who can win all 3 motos, which RV did in 2011. But again, I'm sure most of you already know that. Watch it live on Saturday Oct 19th at 9:00 PM EST on the Fox Sports 2 network. It's going to be interesting to see if Ryan's choices will pay off. I think they will as far as the money. But I would have rather had the US win the MXoN. What do you think?

Learn The 55 Absolute Motocross Techniques these top riders use at: www.motocrossdvds.com
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his family. The window of time to make money riding dirtbikes is incredibly small, what 5 maybe 10 years max? For our own selfish reasons, we all would have loved to see him race the MXON myself included. But if you can't understand someone putting his family first and making a business decision based upon how he earns money to provide for his family then you are not being honest with yourself. How many of you here on this board have risked your career that you use to support your family to go do something for free that could jeopardize your career and your ability to provide for your family just because someone else thinks that's what you should do? RV obviously felt that attending the MXON and postponing his surgery until afterwards could have potentially impacted his ability to train, test and ride as he prepares for what he gets paid to do which in turn impacts his abilty to provide for his family. And Gary, to say "he is CLAIMING it's because he needed to get ankle surgery..." leads me to believe you must either have inside information that he didn't really need to get this surgery or you're a medical expert and you know that the surgery he "claimed" he needed wouldn't impact his 2014 preparation if he'd waited until after the MXON and that he was using the surgery simply as an excuse to get out of the MXON. Please elaborate more on this "claim" of his as you seem to know more about RV and his body than even RV does.
JeepnMike
10/16/2013 7:48am
Dang, Gary stirring the pot.. That surprises me. lol.

Before we lynch RV, I am sure his commitments to his primary sponsor weigh heavily on his decisions like this. He can't just not race the MEC unless unless both legs are broke. I guarantee you there is a big part of him burning up for not being able to show Cairoli what he's got.
mohammed
10/16/2013 7:55am
RV or no RV...maybe same outcome. Wake up and realize the euros are just as fast in motocross. Ask barcia, decotis, lieber etc.
peelout
10/16/2013 8:03am
although it may not be your intentions, Gary, this thread will no doubt turn into another RV-hate thread. it will get ugly
Jt$
10/16/2013 8:05am
I don't think it was 100% RV's choice. Monster wants their #1 rider at Monster Cup. Easy choice for them if they had to pick 1.
rosebud441
10/16/2013 8:08am
GarySemics wrote:
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto...

Me thinks you are absolutely correct in your assesment.. But be carefull not to offend RV's people, passionate bunch.
DoctorJD
10/16/2013 8:23am
Jt$ wrote:
I don't think it was 100% RV's choice. Monster wants their #1 rider at Monster Cup. Easy choice for them if they had to pick 1.
The voice of reason.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
10/16/2013 8:28am
DavidR wrote:
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his...
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his family. The window of time to make money riding dirtbikes is incredibly small, what 5 maybe 10 years max? For our own selfish reasons, we all would have loved to see him race the MXON myself included. But if you can't understand someone putting his family first and making a business decision based upon how he earns money to provide for his family then you are not being honest with yourself. How many of you here on this board have risked your career that you use to support your family to go do something for free that could jeopardize your career and your ability to provide for your family just because someone else thinks that's what you should do? RV obviously felt that attending the MXON and postponing his surgery until afterwards could have potentially impacted his ability to train, test and ride as he prepares for what he gets paid to do which in turn impacts his abilty to provide for his family. And Gary, to say "he is CLAIMING it's because he needed to get ankle surgery..." leads me to believe you must either have inside information that he didn't really need to get this surgery or you're a medical expert and you know that the surgery he "claimed" he needed wouldn't impact his 2014 preparation if he'd waited until after the MXON and that he was using the surgery simply as an excuse to get out of the MXON. Please elaborate more on this "claim" of his as you seem to know more about RV and his body than even RV does.
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase a plastic trophy or 80% payout...
40Plus_922mx
10/16/2013 8:34am
The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
However, I think RV is only the diet coke of evil.
DavidR
10/16/2013 8:39am
DavidR wrote:
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his...
yak651 wrote:
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase...
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase a plastic trophy or 80% payout...
So you're comparing the risk you take racing at your local track on the weekend as a hobbie for a piece of plastic to the same risk RV and other professionals take each weekend for their job? You can't be serious. If you wad up over that 30 foot table and break your leg more than likely you can still go to work and sit in your cubicle on Monday with your leg casted and get your paycheck on Friday.
Titan1
10/16/2013 8:49am
mohammed wrote:
RV or no RV...maybe same outcome. Wake up and realize the euros are just as fast in motocross. Ask barcia, decotis, lieber etc.
Pffft...you don't think RV could have finished at least three positions better than Barcia that third moto (after being down off the start)? I think RV would have raced all the way back up to the top 5...he was that much faster than Barcia this summer. And America wins...

(Of course, RV would have been the mx1 rider, and dungey mx3, so RV wouldn't have been in that third moto to begin with. But even so...RV would have been AT LEAST a couple places higher than where Dungey finished in both of his moto's and assuming Dungey got the same results as Barcia...America still wins.)
10/16/2013 8:57am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2013 8:58am
musmanni wrote:
For selfish reasons I would rather have had the US win the Motocross de Nations. Some sports have become just about the money. I watch players...
For selfish reasons I would rather have had the US win the Motocross de Nations.

Some sports have become just about the money. I watch players in the soccer world cup games cry like babies when losing. They break down with emotion when winning. Money is not on their mind at all. I wish all sports were like that.
You think they cry because they lost the game? They do no lose matches, they lose money. I would cry aswell. Belgian soccer players got 60k each, for placement matches... MXDN winners got shit! Well, Desalle got a dislocated shoulder as a reward for his effort.
10/16/2013 8:58am
RV
MXdN = $0.00
what people "think" = $0.00
MEC = possible $1,000,000.00 + sponsor bonus
gee tuff one dat .....
Choppy
10/16/2013 8:59am
Monster pays the bills for the kid, and the money he earns from monster/ Kawasaki, I would assume, will be the bulk of what his family lives off after racing.

Prestige is nice, but it won't pay to send a couple kids to college or buy the wife a new car.

Can't get upset with someone who does the smart thing for his future. Can you?

All IMO.
10/16/2013 9:06am
Yea a million dollars isn't that much nowadays. It's only like 20 times more than the average American makes in a year. He should have flown to a foreign country and raced for free instead...
Juss
10/16/2013 9:06am
mohammed wrote:
Im glad you think that!
jeffro503
10/16/2013 9:12am
Choppy wrote:
Monster pays the bills for the kid, and the money he earns from monster/ Kawasaki, I would assume, will be the bulk of what his family...
Monster pays the bills for the kid, and the money he earns from monster/ Kawasaki, I would assume, will be the bulk of what his family lives off after racing.

Prestige is nice, but it won't pay to send a couple kids to college or buy the wife a new car.

Can't get upset with someone who does the smart thing for his future. Can you?

All IMO.
I agree with this and with what JT$ said above. Sure....I would of loved to see him at the MXoN's but the point of even having a professional career is to make as much money as possible because the window is so short. Money "isn't" the only thing that matters.....but it is the driving force behind every pro rider. Again.....I would of really liked to of seen him race for the USA at the MXoN's......but I repect his decision to be be 100% healthy for the MEC and the 2014 SX series.

Besides......being 100% healthy at A1 means you have a great head start for the next 9 months of racing these guys have to do. They don't get many breaks. AND.....I would also tend to think that Monster may of pressured him a little to be the best he could for the MEC and all the races that follow.
zook11
10/16/2013 9:16am
mohammed wrote:
We still have the best series and fastest riders here. When are you gonna wake up and realize this.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/16/2013 9:17am
If I was ET JB or RD I would wear an American flag butt patch at the MEC and take out RV first chance I got...I they can get that close to him
Jt$
10/16/2013 9:22am
early wrote:
If I was ET JB or RD I would wear an American flag butt patch at the MEC and take out RV first chance I got...I...
If I was ET JB or RD I would wear an American flag butt patch at the MEC and take out RV first chance I got...I they can get that close to him
Good thing you aren't.
Choppy
10/16/2013 9:26am
I hope one day that we can fix stupid.
Today is not that day.
jamma10
10/16/2013 9:29am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2013 9:35am
mohammed wrote:
zook11 wrote:
We still have the best series and fastest riders here. When are you gonna wake up and realize this.
The US vs GP argument in a nutshell.
davistld01
10/16/2013 9:37am
I totally get that Monster wants their número uno rider at MEC. I totally get that money is the main motivation for riders in this, the ultimate young-man's sport. I totally get RV wanting to provide lifelong financial support for his family. What I don't get is that a whole freaking bunch of riders from all over the world sacrificed & risked to show support for their countries at MXON...our champion didn't.
GarySemics
10/16/2013 9:37am
GarySemics wrote:

DavidR wrote:
Wow DavidR I must have hit a nerve. If you're worried about a racer's family you should be hoping Josh Grant wins the Million. His family could really use the money. RV's family is already set. All more money is going to do for him is kill more big game. But hey, it's just words on a message board. I like RV and have nothing against him. I respect him and all the riders because I know how hard it is to do what they do. But you have to admit, RV, MEC and the MXoN is big news and it's all going to play out this Saturday. A big treat for all moto fans.

Post a reply to: Supercross Monster Energy Cup and RV

The Latest