Supercross Monster Energy Cup and RV

Jt$
10/16/2013 3:51pm
davistld01 wrote:
Ok...point(s) taken, Jason. You and Semics have first hand knowledge of what pressures & pullings there are on a rider at RV's level, and I sure...
Ok...point(s) taken, Jason. You and Semics have first hand knowledge of what pressures & pullings there are on a rider at RV's level, and I sure as heck don't. I just wish RV would step up and just say it for what it is instead of leaving us to speculate.
Welcome to moto haha.. Nothing is ever said by riders about most subjects until years later when there are no consequences.
akillerwombat
10/16/2013 3:53pm
RV's livelihood is racing motocross and supercross. Period. And as awesome as it would have been to see him racing up there with the worlds best at the MXDN let's keep in mind that he had ankle surgery roughly 5 weeks prior to the race! Granted the purse on the MEC is far greater (in terms of money) than MXDN but its also adds an additional 3 weeks of recovery time for him. With the dominating performance he had this year I highly doubt he was as comfortable "sitting it out" as you all are making it seem, I'd like to believe the dude would have loved the opportunity to prove himself the best in the world.

I know I can't speak on behalf of RV or the rest of you but I would find myself hard pressed to put the monetary stability of my family, and my career, on an optional race that will happen again next year 5 weeks out from surgery.

… not to mention the weight all of his sponsors played in this decision.
Outsider
10/16/2013 3:57pm
You guys really think Monster wants a non monster athlete winning their million bucks?
48dirtbikekid
10/16/2013 4:02pm
Maybe he didn't even have surgery, and just didn't want to take a long ass flight to a foreign county to a race that pays $0? Either way, he's a big boy and can make his own decisions! Why do most of you guys care so much? Makes no sense to me!

The Shop

Lefty Right
10/16/2013 4:03pm
DavidR wrote:
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his...
Kawasaki pays him to win SX and MX races / titles. That's his job, that's how he earns his income and how he provides for his family. The window of time to make money riding dirtbikes is incredibly small, what 5 maybe 10 years max? For our own selfish reasons, we all would have loved to see him race the MXON myself included. But if you can't understand someone putting his family first and making a business decision based upon how he earns money to provide for his family then you are not being honest with yourself. How many of you here on this board have risked your career that you use to support your family to go do something for free that could jeopardize your career and your ability to provide for your family just because someone else thinks that's what you should do? RV obviously felt that attending the MXON and postponing his surgery until afterwards could have potentially impacted his ability to train, test and ride as he prepares for what he gets paid to do which in turn impacts his abilty to provide for his family. And Gary, to say "he is CLAIMING it's because he needed to get ankle surgery..." leads me to believe you must either have inside information that he didn't really need to get this surgery or you're a medical expert and you know that the surgery he "claimed" he needed wouldn't impact his 2014 preparation if he'd waited until after the MXON and that he was using the surgery simply as an excuse to get out of the MXON. Please elaborate more on this "claim" of his as you seem to know more about RV and his body than even RV does.
yak651 wrote:
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase...
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase a plastic trophy or 80% payout...
DavidR wrote:
So you're comparing the risk you take racing at your local track on the weekend as a hobbie for a piece of plastic to the same...
So you're comparing the risk you take racing at your local track on the weekend as a hobbie for a piece of plastic to the same risk RV and other professionals take each weekend for their job? You can't be serious. If you wad up over that 30 foot table and break your leg more than likely you can still go to work and sit in your cubicle on Monday with your leg casted and get your paycheck on Friday.
What? Do really think if he got hurt he'd not still get a paycheck??Huh

If Ryans gets hurt racing he was hurt at work so he still will be paid by his employer:Whistling
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
10/16/2013 4:22pm
I don't blame RV for not going, it wasn't long ago when many riders didn't want to go. Those guys get tired of their jobs just like everyone else, and especially the traveling. Also with the MXoN they can go and try their best, then be criticized by fans if they have a bad moto or even settle for a safe result rather than push the limits trying to win. The guy has gone and won for USA before, nothing wrong with him not wanting to go every year, if that's the case.
DavidR
10/16/2013 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2013 4:57pm
yak651 wrote:
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase...
Any of us that line up each weekend to race, if we are honest enough, are putting our careers and earning potential at risk to chase a plastic trophy or 80% payout...
DavidR wrote:
So you're comparing the risk you take racing at your local track on the weekend as a hobbie for a piece of plastic to the same...
So you're comparing the risk you take racing at your local track on the weekend as a hobbie for a piece of plastic to the same risk RV and other professionals take each weekend for their job? You can't be serious. If you wad up over that 30 foot table and break your leg more than likely you can still go to work and sit in your cubicle on Monday with your leg casted and get your paycheck on Friday.
What? Do really think if he got hurt he'd not still get a paycheck??:huh: If Ryans gets hurt racing he was hurt at work so he...

If Ryans gets hurt racing he was hurt at work so he still will be paid by his employer:Whistling
Not his entire salary. I believe JT$ touched on this topic on RacerX. He said something along the lines that salary goes down the more races that are missed. Employers don't like their riders sitting at home on the couch. Perhaps he'll see this and re-state his comment in what happens when a rider is injured & starts missing races. Not to mention lost win bonuses & championship bonuses. Can't collect those sitting at home.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
10/16/2013 5:34pm
mohammed wrote:
RV or no RV...maybe same outcome. Wake up and realize the euros are just as fast in motocross. Ask barcia, decotis, lieber etc.
Titan1 wrote:
Pffft...you don't think RV could have finished at least three positions better than Barcia that third moto (after being down off the start)? I think RV...
Pffft...you don't think RV could have finished at least three positions better than Barcia that third moto (after being down off the start)? I think RV would have raced all the way back up to the top 5...he was that much faster than Barcia this summer. And America wins...

(Of course, RV would have been the mx1 rider, and dungey mx3, so RV wouldn't have been in that third moto to begin with. But even so...RV would have been AT LEAST a couple places higher than where Dungey finished in both of his moto's and assuming Dungey got the same results as Barcia...America still wins.)
Lol well said sirLaughingLaughing yea RV would've most likely won both of his motos & the US still winsSmile
APLMAN99
10/16/2013 6:03pm
What? Do really think if he got hurt he'd not still get a paycheck??:huh: If Ryans gets hurt racing he was hurt at work so he...

He's not an employee. He's an independent contractor.
surfer22
10/16/2013 6:22pm
davistld01 wrote:
I totally get that Monster wants their número uno rider at MEC. I totally get that money is the main motivation for riders in this, the...
I totally get that Monster wants their número uno rider at MEC. I totally get that money is the main motivation for riders in this, the ultimate young-man's sport. I totally get RV wanting to provide lifelong financial support for his family. What I don't get is that a whole freaking bunch of riders from all over the world sacrificed & risked to show support for their countries at MXON...our champion didn't.
Choppy wrote:
How many times had he sacrificed and won a race that very few people outside this niche sport even knows about? If you need a surgery...
How many times had he sacrificed and won a race that very few people outside this niche sport even knows about?

If you need a surgery is it smarter to get it as early as possible just in case complications arise, or wait because you have a one off race that won't be talked about by the majority of fans after that week is over?
Choppy is correct. I'm sure RV2 wouldn't mind having an extra million bucks, and I'm sure monster and kawasaki probably pressured RV into racing the Monster Energy Cup, but the biggest reason for RV getting his surgery EARLIER rather than LATER, is the chance of complications and the possibility of needing another surgery or more rehab time than his Dr. originally thought. RV has already raced multiple mxdns and won, and now you guys are accusing him of putting more priority on $20 rather than his country. C'mon. Get over yourselves. What if RV raced the mxdn then had the surgery, and something happened and he needed another surgery or a few extra months of rehab? Than we don't have our defending 3 times sx champ. He made the smart move. I'm sure if he's healthy, he'll repeat as both the mx/sx champ, then go on and win both of his motos at the mxdn leading USA to another win, and then maybe all you crybaby's can stop your whining.
Lefty Right
10/16/2013 6:26pm

APLMAN99 wrote:
If you think that You're a dumb ass......Woohoo
wwoberg
10/16/2013 6:44pm
Only read the first post and kind of skimmed through the first page.

I hope Semics regrets he posted that. He is an icon in the early days of MX. I don't think he really meant that.

As I get older, I learn from my screwups and hopefully get wiser. I always can use more learning.

Please put this in the dungeon.
mxb2
10/16/2013 6:52pm
Semics is a grown man, he typed what he felt. That's why its an open forum.probably does not need anybody defending him
xr70
10/16/2013 7:20pm
RV is a crying bitch, red neck and an animal killer. I really enjoyed the moment when Trey Canard put him into that pole! Amen!
Harry_Gray
10/16/2013 7:35pm
xr70 wrote:
RV is a crying bitch, red neck and an animal killer. I really enjoyed the moment when Trey Canard put him into that pole! Amen!
jeffro503
10/16/2013 9:47pm
xr70 wrote:
Yeah.....pretty much the fastest man on a dirt bike and probably the most gnarly dude we've seen in this sport since RC......yeah , he's a crying bitch. Pfft!....HA! LMFAO!
BobbyM
10/16/2013 11:19pm
ga_pike wrote:
[img]https://www.neverpaytoplay.com/Lawsuit/Million01c.jpg[/img]
Too bad it isn't one million cash on the spot...
10/16/2013 11:45pm
davistld01 wrote:
I totally get that Monster wants their número uno rider at MEC. I totally get that money is the main motivation for riders in this, the...
I totally get that Monster wants their número uno rider at MEC. I totally get that money is the main motivation for riders in this, the ultimate young-man's sport. I totally get RV wanting to provide lifelong financial support for his family. What I don't get is that a whole freaking bunch of riders from all over the world sacrificed & risked to show support for their countries at MXON...our champion didn't.
Choppy wrote:
How many times had he sacrificed and won a race that very few people outside this niche sport even knows about? If you need a surgery...
How many times had he sacrificed and won a race that very few people outside this niche sport even knows about?

If you need a surgery is it smarter to get it as early as possible just in case complications arise, or wait because you have a one off race that won't be talked about by the majority of fans after that week is over?
surfer22 wrote:
Choppy is correct. I'm sure RV2 wouldn't mind having an extra million bucks, and I'm sure monster and kawasaki probably pressured RV into racing the Monster...
Choppy is correct. I'm sure RV2 wouldn't mind having an extra million bucks, and I'm sure monster and kawasaki probably pressured RV into racing the Monster Energy Cup, but the biggest reason for RV getting his surgery EARLIER rather than LATER, is the chance of complications and the possibility of needing another surgery or more rehab time than his Dr. originally thought. RV has already raced multiple mxdns and won, and now you guys are accusing him of putting more priority on $20 rather than his country. C'mon. Get over yourselves. What if RV raced the mxdn then had the surgery, and something happened and he needed another surgery or a few extra months of rehab? Than we don't have our defending 3 times sx champ. He made the smart move. I'm sure if he's healthy, he'll repeat as both the mx/sx champ, then go on and win both of his motos at the mxdn leading USA to another win, and then maybe all you crybaby's can stop your whining.
There's been plenty of crybabys moaning about losing the MXdN because he wasn't there,all throwing Dungey under the bus for no reason,he was easy faster than Barcia afterall

Missing the biggest race on the planet by far is one thing but he was only having the metalwork removed,not put in because of a break or something major,and pictures show he was on the practice track 2 WEEKS later

That said,he could easily of done MEC and had the operation AFTER,especially if he was being pressured by Monster to do the race,the MXdN and MEC ore both Monster events afterall,he never wanted to do it,maybe it got in the way of his hunting??

Lake Elsinore - August 24
SX practice - September 6

BobbyM
10/16/2013 11:53pm

APLMAN99 wrote:
For the ama...not Kawasaki I believe.
10/17/2013 3:47am
DavidR wrote:

DavidR wrote:
Not his entire salary. I believe JT$ touched on this topic on RacerX. He said something along the lines that salary goes down the more races...
Not his entire salary. I believe JT$ touched on this topic on RacerX. He said something along the lines that salary goes down the more races that are missed. Employers don't like their riders sitting at home on the couch. Perhaps he'll see this and re-state his comment in what happens when a rider is injured & starts missing races. Not to mention lost win bonuses & championship bonuses. Can't collect those sitting at home.
He'd have scored big by Monster for doing the MXdN,it's down on the fixture list and huge for Monster at the end of the day,and where does factory Kawasaki stand in this too? (and other sponsors)I'm pretty sure they'd have loved him in Europe flying their flag,Cairoli got a chunk from Redbull I'll bet

Just as easy getting hurt on a practice track,as many top guys,Roczen last year comes to mind,those 30 foot tables are still there to be cleared
IWreckALot
10/17/2013 4:47am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 4:47am
MtnBoy wrote:
He woulda taken the $$ and he's lying if he says otherwise! The spam link at the bottom of the post says loud and clear what...
He woulda taken the $$ and he's lying if he says otherwise!

The spam link at the bottom of the post says loud and clear what his intentions are...same as RVs make as much $$ as possible....

I don't know why the idiots that post in these threads refuse to ignore the fact that there is no way in hell RV got to make a decision on MXdN and Monster Cup by himself....I'd say probably 70% Monsters choice what he does, 30% his choice.

Hate on douchers...RV is one of the best we've ever seen and in 5 years all you dipshits will be worshipping him just like everyone does RC now and people loved to hate RC when he was on top too.
I'm not in the know at all so this is just my opinion. I believe RV has a bit more say in the decision than you're giving him credit for. If Monster or Kawi didn't like his decision, what leverage do they have? Theyn're NOT going to fire the guy that has won everything lately. . . And I don't feel patriotically betrayed at all. . . Maybe it's because I don't base my opinions on winning as much as I do on how our guys represent Americans as a whole while they're in foreign countries.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
10/17/2013 5:25am
GarySemics wrote:
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto...
The Supercross Monster Energy Cup is the biggest Supercross event of the year. I'm sure most of you already know, it's so big for Ryan Villopoto that he chose to race it instead of The Motocross of Nations. In case you don't know why, he is claiming it's because he needed to get ankle surgery right after the Nationals instead of waiting until after the Motocross of Nations. This way he would have more time to be healed up 100% before the 2014 Supercross opener at Anaheim. Who knows for sure, only RV. Most people think it's because Monster is offering 1,000,000.00 (yes that's one million dollars) for the rider who can win all 3 motos, which RV did in 2011. But again, I'm sure most of you already know that. Watch it live on Saturday Oct 19th at 9:00 PM EST on the Fox Sports 2 network. It's going to be interesting to see if Ryan's choices will pay off. I think they will as far as the money. But I would have rather had the US win the MXoN. What do you think?

Learn The 55 Absolute Motocross Techniques these top riders use at: www.motocrossdvds.com
yosmithy wrote:
Just curious, Gary. If you were in the same position, what would you have done?
We need a professional illustration with whores and everything.
JJ4
10/17/2013 8:12am
More power to RV for doing what he does, and I would have done the same thing if in his shoes. Maybe the reality is he would rather win the $1M than winning the MXdN trophy. Everyone always says you never know when your last day might be in this biz and the window for success is small/short. Could it be as RV gets another year older that financial gain trumps all else? I would have loved to see him race the des nations as much as anyone, but I don't blame him at all for putting career decisions first.
peelout
10/17/2013 8:24am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 8:31am
xr70 wrote:
the last few years must have been tough for you huh? eat another dick, bro
Bry745
10/17/2013 9:23am
xr70 wrote:
Wow, we often don't get to see a lot of tough-guy/vegetarian/sophisticate types on Vital. This was a treat!
akillerwombat
10/17/2013 9:23am
There's been plenty of crybabys moaning about losing the MXdN because he wasn't there,all throwing Dungey under the bus for no reason,he was easy faster than...
There's been plenty of crybabys moaning about losing the MXdN because he wasn't there,all throwing Dungey under the bus for no reason,he was easy faster than Barcia afterall

Missing the biggest race on the planet by far is one thing but he was only having the metalwork removed,not put in because of a break or something major,and pictures show he was on the practice track 2 WEEKS later

That said,he could easily of done MEC and had the operation AFTER,especially if he was being pressured by Monster to do the race,the MXdN and MEC ore both Monster events afterall,he never wanted to do it,maybe it got in the way of his hunting??

... this photo was actually uploaded September 27th, not the 6th. So, 5 weeks after surgery, not 2.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
10/17/2013 9:29am
There's been plenty of crybabys moaning about losing the MXdN because he wasn't there,all throwing Dungey under the bus for no reason,he was easy faster than...

... this photo was actually uploaded September 27th, not the 6th. So, 5 weeks after surgery, not 2.
awwwwww C'mon man! Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!
10/17/2013 9:31am
xr70 wrote:
10/17/2013 3:34pm

Regis wrote:
awwwwww C'mon man! Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Yep,sorry my bad,the odd way the date's written got me,5 weeks after surgery,at least somebody's watchingSmile

Anyhow my point is after the MEC and after surgery he'd have 10 weeks until A1 which should be more than ample,that,'s IF he rides well this weekend

His choice,and perogitive,just don't get some whining about the MXdN and Dungey,and how good RV would've been etc,when in other words they're insinuating the MXdN was lost because RV wan't there-go figure?!?
peelout
10/17/2013 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 4:20pm
for fucksakes... he didn't race the MXdN.

time to drop it and move on.

i swear to God, some of you guys are worse than a bunch of single women in their 50's arguing whether Twilight is better than 50 Shades. pull your fuckin' heads out. how in any shape or form does RV not racing a glorified "we're better than you, nah nah nah nah" race have any effect on any of your lives?

fuck you guys, i'm goin' home

Post a reply to: Supercross Monster Energy Cup and RV

The Latest