Supercross Futures Oakland Recap

JM485
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 5:29am
Had a great time racing on Sunday and figured I would give a "brief" overview of how the day went, especially for those interested in racing one later on in the schedule. I also had some interesting findings when I looked over my lap times from the day, but more on that later. Overall I had a great day and finished better than I expected, I raced in 250C and 125B/C, however I really only cared about my finish in 250 since I wanted to qualify for the national championship again this year. Here is a breakdown of each class:

250C: I started off on this bike, and because we had around 40 guys in the class they split us into two practice sessions and two heats. After track walk I was pretty nervous about the triple they left in place, it was cut down quite a bit in height but it was still right after the whoops section and didn't seem to be too much shorter in length than Saturday night. In fact, I'd say they left the track about 95% intact, which I thought was awesome! Ironically enough I actually ended up jumping the damn thing first lap of practice and it was no big deal, so all that worrying was for nothing haha.

Heat race went well, I almost pulled the holeshot which was awesome, and I believe I ended up 4th. The track was very dry due to the high winds we had all day, but still not terrible. The important thing was I transfered right to the main event, and after looking at lap times I found that I actually would have had the fastest lap in the other heat so I was feeling pretty good going into the main. I didn't get the best of starts in the main but I did make some great moves in the first few corners and worked my way up to 3rd for a bit. Unfortunately, I absolutely gassed myself trying to stay with the leaders and threw out the anchor on the last lap or two, dropping to 5th. The track was a lot better at this point since they did some track maintenance and the moisture started to come back out of the dirt as the sun went down, and I had my fastest laps of the day by far in the main. SX is a strange beast, you absolutely cannot afford to get lazy because mistakes will just keep compounding, almost like endurocross, and you'll just end up wearing yourself out even more. Overall I was happy with my finish though, I did much better than last year and felt great on the track all day.

125B/C: With this class being a combined B/C and me being on my trusty but oh so slow 04 cr125, I raced this purely for fun and bragging rights against my friend. I don't even remember where I ended up in the heat race but it wasn't great, didn't matter though because everyone transfered to the main. As you can see in the video I'd need to start about halfway down the start straight to have any chance of a holeshot on this bike, so I employed the tried and true method of cutting underneath everyone in the first corner and trying to salvage position. I don't know what the hell happened the first few corners but there was just carnage everywhere, luckily I stayed out of all that mess. I ended up having some fun battles and an epic case over the finish line double due to a poorly timed false neutral due to a loose shifterPinch . Final position was P8, which was much better than expected, so no complaints there.

A couple of notes:

1. I found it very interesting that my lap times on the 125 and 250 were extremely close, within 1 second if I remember correctly. I have to think this is due to the Honda having a much steeper rake and lighter weight, allowing me to turn a lot easier. Power also doesn't necessarily equal speed here either, it's not like I was ever really using the whole power range of the 250 besides on the start straight, so it's not surprising to me at all now that the 250 class often runs the same or even quicker lap times than the 450 class for the pros. I also seemed to get through the whoops a lot better, so I think the 250 may have needed a bit more rebound damping.

2. You really need to be aware of where people are, especially coming into corners. It seemed like everyone rode MUCH more calmly this year compared to last year, but just due to the tight nature of the track you really had to pay attention to when someone was going to make a block pass and give them some room. Once you're commited to a pass it's pretty much impossible to check up, so if you don't give them at least a little room you're both likely going to go down.

3. I can't believe how much more comfortable I get every time I'm on one of these track. This is exactly the third time I've ridden anything resembling a SX track in my life and I feel soooo much more confident than even the last time I rode one in Vegas. I really wish this was more excessible to amateurs because I think with some time and practice I could really get the hang of it and get a good flow going. It's tough because you want to push to go faster, but there's a finite speed you can carry through some jump sections and it's very easy to override the track, patience is key and it's a little counter-intuitive at first.

If you've made it this far, congratulations, here are the main even videos and hope you enjoy:

|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/4/2020 10:10pm
Nice job out there!
Ted722
2/4/2020 10:29pm
Cool videos Josh, having fun on those 2-strokes! Good info about those lap times. You'd think they'd be further apart, but if you're able to do the same obstacles (and not a lot of high speed areas) it makes sense.
Sully
2/4/2020 11:05pm
Man, you weren't kidding about the wind. I was watching the flagger to your left before the 125 race, and his flag was cranking. Had to make some of the jumps a bit more sketchy.

The Shop

crowe176
2/5/2020 4:11am
The CR sounds healthy! I can’t believe dudes are hitting the triple in the C class lol. When you pulled the trigger on that triple on the jiver with dude doubling my anxiety was pinned.
2/5/2020 8:47am
I was flagging the rhythm section after that triple, I noticed your CR out there and was wondering how it would compare to to the latest Husky / Ktms, I was impressed. In the main you were flowing through my section pretty well . You did a great job!
JM485
2/5/2020 8:35pm
Gibby - Thanks!

Ted- The only difference in how I approached the track between the two bikes was the curving rhythm section after the triple. I just couldn't get the same rhythm that I was doing on the 250 when I was on the 125, but now that I watch the videos I almost wonder if the 125 rhythm was faster anyways.

Brian- I'm still looking for my other ballLaughing Seriously though, that was a really badly timed false neutal, but that's the risk you take running a 15+ year old bike.

Sully- Surprisingly I didn't really feel it at all when we were racing. I don't know if it was just kind of swirling around the outer edge of the stadium or what but it didn't effect me at all.

crowe- It's "C" class haha. Looking at lap times I believe those of us near the front could run a bit behind mid pack in B class. I thought about moving up this year, but considering I do maybe 3 motocross races per year if I'm lucky I just didn't see the point. It's funny you mention tripling behind that guy, I didn't really feel like it was close in real life and then I watched the video and was like "oh crap that was a little closer than I wanted it to be"Blink

Randy- I really, really wish I could say the cr is even remotely competitive with the Austrian bikes, but I'd be flat out lying. I've ridden a modern 125 (shoutout to Bruce!) and I wish I hadn't, I didn't realize how bad the older Hondas were, it's not even fair to have to line up against an orange or white bike at this point. If you're just going out there to have fun and don't care where you finish like I was then by all means it's a great bike to race, but if you're serious about wanting to win the class then I wouldn't even bother lining up on anything but ktm or husky. On a SX track it's probably less apparent and no bike in the world was going to help me beat most of those guys, but on an outdoor track like Argyll it's extremely noticable. Now, if someone stuck that ktm motor in the Honda chassis you'd have a serious weapon on your hands. . .

Still waiting on pictures, but here's a couple I have from the heat race. I tried to do my best RC double can impression over the finish but I battled a twofold issue comprised of a small jump and lack of skill.

Stuntman949
2/5/2020 8:46pm
I love how the two guys in front of you are floating the valves, and you're just staying right with them
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
2/5/2020 9:33pm
What is the racing you speak of? Thats not what we do around here. Great job out there my man! Next time hopefully you will be battle for a win.
2/6/2020 8:48am
The Four strokes were definitely flowing better through the rhythm section , it was fun to watch the different combos riders were trying especially in practice,By race time riders actually figured out a flow through them. From my section looking directly across the track I was also watching riders hit that triple, you did great by the way , but this one rider for some reason let off the gas on the approach and totally ATE SH”T I knew it wasn’t going to end good. I hope he’s going well and will join the group next year. Watching those PW50 was a crackup. Lil kid saw me flagging on a turn and came up to like he was going to ask me for directions 😂 I’m glad you had a great time and all those riders who went down Heal fast and enjoy the ride
slipdog
2/6/2020 9:27am
Me: "I race C class"

Me also: "I hucked the triple on the first lap and threw a Can-Can over the finish line!"

Hahaha, Cool videos Josh!
JM485
2/6/2020 8:19pm
slipdog wrote:
Me: "I race C class" Me also: "I hucked the triple on the first lap and threw a Can-Can over the finish line!" Hahaha, Cool videos...

Me also: "I hucked the triple on the first lap and threw a Can-Can over the finish line!"

I know right, it's as stupid as it sounds.Laughing

Serious question though since you've been around the block, should I move up a class? I was seriously considering it before this year, but the more I thought about it I figured it wasn't like I was winning or anything, and then you look at some of the names in B class and it's kind of hard to justify even being on the gate with those guys when I maybe do 3 moto races per year. The class system really is a joke, when the front of B class is going pro speed it really makes A class irrelevant, and true beginners have absolutely no class to race since C class is fast as hell to. I don't really know what to do, I'm not trying to sandbag and if I can get into the 125 all star race at Hangtown this year I might have to move up anyways, but when I see how fast B class is I don't really know if I belong there either.

I do love when I read on Vital how "everyone in C class is sketchy". Ya, maybe in Kentucky, but in CA it's legitLaughing
Chippy
2/6/2020 9:06pm
Nice work out there. I went last year and couldn't believe how difficult the track looked (I helped a buddy race)
& watching that 125 race was hilarious, first lap carnage, then 2nd lap you look over and B-ray is coming up on you quick followed by casing that triple super casual Laughing
slipdog
2/7/2020 5:29am
slipdog wrote:
Me: "I race C class" Me also: "I hucked the triple on the first lap and threw a Can-Can over the finish line!" Hahaha, Cool videos...

JM485 wrote:
I know right, it's as stupid as it sounds.:laugh: Serious question though since you've been around the block, should I move up a class? I was...
I know right, it's as stupid as it sounds.Laughing

Serious question though since you've been around the block, should I move up a class? I was seriously considering it before this year, but the more I thought about it I figured it wasn't like I was winning or anything, and then you look at some of the names in B class and it's kind of hard to justify even being on the gate with those guys when I maybe do 3 moto races per year. The class system really is a joke, when the front of B class is going pro speed it really makes A class irrelevant, and true beginners have absolutely no class to race since C class is fast as hell to. I don't really know what to do, I'm not trying to sandbag and if I can get into the 125 all star race at Hangtown this year I might have to move up anyways, but when I see how fast B class is I don't really know if I belong there either.

I do love when I read on Vital how "everyone in C class is sketchy". Ya, maybe in Kentucky, but in CA it's legitLaughing
If you only race a couple of times a year, I don't see any reason to move up unless you want to. The all-star race is just an exhibition and they let riders of all skill level in so that should not be a factor in it either. I set up an '01 CR 125 for a 49yr old vet novice to race the all-star at Washougal this summer so skill is no factor. I 'd say let the kids trying to go to Loretta's worry about what class they're in and you keep doing what feels good for you!

Post a reply to: Supercross Futures Oakland Recap

The Latest