Supercross 2019 Viewing for Canadians

Sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

From what I have been able to find out, NBCSN isn't available in Canada on any of the providers, certainly not on Rogers. I have no issue buying this online package for $129, just want to make sure it's the best way to go. It seems like it may be the only way to go.... My only hesitation is signing up for this online subscription and finding out it's choppy and stuttering and unwatchable....
|
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
12/19/2018 7:13am
I heard mixed reviews last year about the streaming service. Some loved it, some hated it. I use NBC Sports Gold for outdoors and love it, shame it's not available to us for supercross.

I've got access to Direct TV so that's how I'll be watching. I guess the $129 package is better than no package? I've also heard of people having decent luck with Facebook streams, but I've never tried.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/19/2018 7:17am
NBCSN is not available in Canada so that is the only option a side for the rounds that will air on the regular NBC channel.

In the previous years the service was provided by Cleeng and a quick search will show you that a lot of people were having problems with it.

For 2019 Feld has moved away from Cleeng and the streaming service is provided by ViewLift. It was up and running for the Monster Energy Cup and guys on here said that it was a big improvement and ran fine. If you're willing to pay for the service, I say go ahead and purchase it.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/19/2018 7:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
NBCSN is not available in Canada so that is the only option a side for the rounds that will air on the regular NBC channel. In...
NBCSN is not available in Canada so that is the only option a side for the rounds that will air on the regular NBC channel.

In the previous years the service was provided by Cleeng and a quick search will show you that a lot of people were having problems with it.

For 2019 Feld has moved away from Cleeng and the streaming service is provided by ViewLift. It was up and running for the Monster Energy Cup and guys on here said that it was a big improvement and ran fine. If you're willing to pay for the service, I say go ahead and purchase it.
Good to hear that the streaming service provider has changed. Many of the rounds were just awful last year, though they seemed to improve later in the season. Don't want to go through that frustration again!
hoodsmoto
Fantasy
456th
12/19/2018 7:33am
I purchased last years package with and had several issues. Sometimes it was just a bad feed and resulted in poor quality, other times it seemed to run just fine.
One time I couldn't get the stream up at all, missed the first few heats and had to wait for the replay the following day since you can't rewind the live stream and start from the beginning.

I also purchased this years package already and although the Monster energy cup ran flawlessly, I won't give them the golden seal of approval just yet because A1 ran perfectly last year too and issues started afterwards.

But...It's really the only way to watch in Canada as I'm nowhere near computer literate enough to figure out these different IPs or dealing with torrents.

At less than ten bucks a round, I won't complain too much as it's about what I would spend on on a footlong sub.

The Shop

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/19/2018 8:50am
I think the 2 best options are:

1. Buy the Feld livestream, I heard it worked well for a buddy last year and if Mav says the streaming service is better than that will work well.

2. Either try a free VPN service like Hola or pay for one like US-Unblock. Set that up then go ahead and buy the NBC Sports Gold package and you are good.

The NBC gold package worked very very good for outdoors so I think I will go with option 2, however, I'm watching A1 at a buddies house who is buying the Feld livestream so after week 1 I'm sure we will hear how it all worked out for everyone and can make a decision.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
12/19/2018 9:16am
I had the feld streaming sx package this year and as a whole it worked fine for me in UK watching live. I only had a issue a couple times but for the most part worked good. My real issue with it was the archive footage.
It was up pretty fast but it was low quality. So if I watched it the next morning picture wasn't great. I complained about it but nothing happened. It said it was 720p but it was nowhere close to that, worse that standard definition. Now I don't know if that was Cleeng being cheap arse's and lowering bit rate/resolution to save on data storage but it was poor. I never had issues with the quality watching live just the archive.
So I'm glad they've moved away from Cleeng and I'll see how it goes. I bought the package early for 99 bucks. I thought at the time it looks like nbc gold isn't happening with then offering this... Oh well, I'm gonna get the gold package again for outdoors so I might just get the sx and mx package as a backup. Only cost me a extra 35 bucks and I have a VPN for the sx if its geo locked.
cameron96
12/19/2018 9:25am
VPN with the gold app would be the best way to go, I already bought the stream so that’s what I’m stuck with..

Stream worked 90% of the time last year for the 6 rounds we used it.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
12/19/2018 9:33am
I'm going to see if people who use a VPN have sucess getting the gold app. If not I'll just buy the online package. In the grand scheme of things $129 bucks is not a huge deal for something I like. Probbaly spend more then that in beer every month.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/19/2018 9:43am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2018 9:44am
I'm probably going to go with option 2 (VPN) simply because I refuse to pay $55 more for a service that is being offered at $75 from NBC Sports.

It makes no sense to me to pay extra if there's nothing to justify that extra cost.

I've never used a VPN so I'm going to have to read up on it. Don't want to end up spending $100+ CAD for the SX/MX package only to find out I screwed up and can't watch any of it.

I've seen Hola for Google Chrome mentioned on here before, is that thing reliable? Simple to use? Is using a Canadian issued credit card a problem since the SX/MX package on the NBC Gold App streaming service is only offered in the US?
hamncheeze
12/19/2018 9:43am
I already signed up for the Supercrosslive.tv package on a pre-MEC renewal. Last year it worked OK, Houston was awful and there were other smaller technical glitches along the way. I think a big part of that was on Cleeng, and hopefully the new host ViewLift can provide a good service. I will say last year the archived races seemed to work fine if I needed them.

If I had not renewed, I would probably try to use the NBC Gold package with a VPN, but probably a more robust subscription VPN like ExpressVPN or TunnelBear. But adding the VPN cost in, probably not really any savings this way.

My ISP has recently upgraded from 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps, so for sure I'm not suffering a bandwidth issue on my end (as I was not last year either).
SKlein
12/19/2018 9:49am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I'm probably going to go with option 2 (VPN) simply because I refuse to pay $55 more for a service that is being offered at $75...
I'm probably going to go with option 2 (VPN) simply because I refuse to pay $55 more for a service that is being offered at $75 from NBC Sports.

It makes no sense to me to pay extra if there's nothing to justify that extra cost.

I've never used a VPN so I'm going to have to read up on it. Don't want to end up spending $100+ CAD for the SX/MX package only to find out I screwed up and can't watch any of it.

I've seen Hola for Google Chrome mentioned on here before, is that thing reliable? Simple to use? Is using a Canadian issued credit card a problem since the SX/MX package on the NBC Gold App streaming service is only offered in the US?
If you want some help let me know, I've been using one for the last year or two and it's really simple. Picking the right one/s is the important task.
Drtbykr
12/19/2018 10:45am
Just added NBC Seattle for $6 more a month on my Roger’s bill.

Worth a shot.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/19/2018 12:27pm
Jarid332 wrote:
I'm going to see if people who use a VPN have sucess getting the gold app. If not I'll just buy the online package. In the...
I'm going to see if people who use a VPN have sucess getting the gold app. If not I'll just buy the online package. In the grand scheme of things $129 bucks is not a huge deal for something I like. Probbaly spend more then that in beer every month.
As for option 2: VPN and NBC Gold

I logged into my NBC Gold App and SX is not even an option to buy, just figure skating, Notre Dame football and outdoor MX.

I put HOLA on my google chrome browser for free and set it for United States. Then I logged back into my Gold App account and I could purchase SX, SX & MX plus many other things not available in Canadia. I think this will work perfect but might want to pay for better VPN if anyone has experience with this can make suggestions.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/19/2018 12:33pm
Jarid332 wrote:
I'm going to see if people who use a VPN have sucess getting the gold app. If not I'll just buy the online package. In the...
Ramrod wrote:
As for option 2: VPN and NBC Gold I logged into my NBC Gold App and SX is not even an option to buy, just figure...

I logged into my NBC Gold App and SX is not even an option to buy, just figure skating, Notre Dame football and outdoor MX.

I put HOLA on my google chrome browser for free and set it for United States. Then I logged back into my Gold App account and I could purchase SX, SX & MX plus many other things not available in Canadia. I think this will work perfect but might want to pay for better VPN if anyone has experience with this can make suggestions.
If it's that easy, that would be great!
chump6784
12/19/2018 1:48pm
I used the nbc gold app and hola vpn for the outdoors last year and worked well. Paid for it with australian credit card no problem. Just set hola to one of the countries where the package is offered and you should be good to go
12/19/2018 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2018 2:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I'm probably going to go with option 2 (VPN) simply because I refuse to pay $55 more for a service that is being offered at $75...

I agree I think that's the best option, hoping the Hola plug in or something similar will work.

As for the payment if having a Canadian credit card gives you issues you could always try transferring the money to PayPal and paying through that. Or you could buy one of those prepaid Visa's as you can change the location on those things.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
12/19/2018 5:25pm
Ramrod wrote:
As for option 2: VPN and NBC Gold I logged into my NBC Gold App and SX is not even an option to buy, just figure...

That's good to know. I might try and upgrade to a good VPN.
bents
Fantasy
710th
12/19/2018 7:03pm
I just signed up for NordVPN and I assume/hope that I can use a US VPN to sign up for the Gold App. can anyone verify this?
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/19/2018 7:34pm
bents wrote:
I just signed up for NordVPN and I assume/hope that I can use a US VPN to sign up for the Gold App. can anyone verify...
I just signed up for NordVPN and I assume/hope that I can use a US VPN to sign up for the Gold App. can anyone verify this?
Yes you can.
12/19/2018 7:55pm
Being in Australia I think I’m going to have to buy the stream pass, I usually watch the races with my Dad on the TV. I’d rather not watch it with him on a laptop screen, I’ve always wondered if you guys that do it online hook it up to your Smart TV or whatever?
Rooster
12/19/2018 10:40pm
I watched it next day commercial free on youtube all year last year.

I got my Saturday night back and didn't have to sit through hours of commercials for 35 minutes of racing. By the time I've finished my second cup of coffee on Sunday AM, I've watched both main events.

I'm not going to back to the old way. I couldn't stay awake through a whole event with all the commercials and I'm a lifelong fan of the sport. I can't imagine casual viewers watching the whole thing.
SEE ARE125
12/20/2018 7:40am
You guys might want to avoid Hola. I'm a Mac guy, but I used Hola a few years ago on my wife's Windows laptop to stream some races and had all kinds of bugs afterwards, even after uninstalling it. Then I saw this in my newsfeed yesterday:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/researchers-slam-hola-vpn-over-absent-encryption-user-ip-leaks/

I would recommend paying for a VPN like NordVPN or TunnelBear or something similar. I think NordVPN is $2.99/mo right now if you buy a 3yr subscription($107 for 3 years, due up front).

Post a reply to: Supercross 2019 Viewing for Canadians

The Latest